Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

PHOENIX MODELS F-20 TIGERSHARK ?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

PHOENIX MODELS F-20 TIGERSHARK ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:23 PM
jameslundy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PHOENIX MODELS F-20 TIGERSHARK ?

DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS YET? Check it out on towers site.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:26 AM
pocatosaras

Default RE: PHOENIX MODELS F-20 TIGERSHARK ?

a guy at our club has one with a .61 engine on it (I don't know the manufacturer) and it screams......
Old 10-01-2005, 06:51 AM
HaveBlue

I've got one of these which is only partially assembled , one of the other guys on here,crasharama built one and flew it with a jett50, but on his fourth flight the elevator control horn sheared off..sort of turned it into a lawn dart..luckily he mentioned this before I got to build mine so now I'm just waiting on some Robart horns..other than that it seems to be fairly good quality although I cant say much about the flight envelope yet!!! unfortunate side, there is no provision for retracts...sure would be sweet to clean this bird up a bit.the only other hiccup is the engine mount that come out on our versions is a bit small..only measures 30mm i think thats about 1 and 1/16 " so a bit small for a .46 upward size engine but who knows maybe they fixed that since its been released in the States.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:23 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

I had a Jett 90L in a Krangke F20, but the top end was not there. Flew well and relatively fast, but just not fast enough. Needed retracts for sure, but the fakee engine openings and overall dirty airframe made it a dog considering the power. Have great interest in your upcoming flight experience and your thoughts. Are you sure you can't stuff retracts in yours? Would appreciate knowing outcome, and power used. Thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 07:33 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

I missed this coming in to Tower. Interesting. Should be a popular plane.

There are a few guys over in Australia and the eastern rim flying them that I know of.

Four I am aware of have SJ-50 engines, and one other has a 60L. Dub also shipped a 60LX not long ago to NZ destine for a Phx F-20.

From all reports apparently the plane itself flys well, and the kit goes together about like other ARFS. Fixed gear - it is pretty quick, but it is not going to go "really" fast if you have the gear down - the strut/wheel drag is incredible. For most people, this plane is quick enough.

Keep in mind.... it is an ARF - somebody built MOST of it for you - and it is VERY worth while reviewing certain structural elements and carefully considering each control surface, control horn and linkage with respect to the engine you install in it. Take the time to seal all of the control surface gaps too.

Also as HaveBlue noted, the engine mount appears to be somewhat narrow - maybe its set up better for an OS .46 size now.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:44 PM
danedelman
My Feedback: (25)

any pics of this plane. I am looking into getting one.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:17 AM
bob27s

here ya go. These were provided to me by Tony Asmus over in Australia.

Its a nice plane. Comments on this particular one were that it flys very well.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31474.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	344767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25201.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	344768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60560.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	344769  
Old 10-27-2005, 11:15 AM
danedelman
My Feedback: (25)

nice pics.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:46 PM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Anyone knows the true winspan and length of this plane?? Tower has incorrect measurements posted. I wonder if there is enough room to slap a OS91FX in the nose. I have a spare motor that needs to go in a prop jet. I want to reserve my Jett90 for the Cermark F16 I'm putting together. 50 size motor is too weak for plane with span 56". My Kangke F20 with a 50 motor has only 48" span.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:06 PM
bob27s

Don't let the wing span fool ya. Reports I have from folks tell me its got pleanty of power with a .50 up front.

Without retracts, its not going to hit 140 mph anyway.

I think Haveblue on here has one of these too ?

Reports I have on the engine installation, were that the mount was designed for an old-style OS.40 FSR engine - beams are actually a tiny bit narrow for the OS.50 or Jett-50 engine. Easy to fix though. Im not sure if the Tower import version has this feature updated.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:54 PM
HaveBlue

I just got a tape measure out and those measurements are correct, its 51" from the tail end to the motor, so this doesnt include lenght to the spinner so it will be a tad longer and one wing panel is 28 1/4 " ..but it is very light, I havent flown mine yet..but I have no doubt that it will fly very well on a .50 , I'm using a jett46 on mine and I'm confident that will do the trick although as bob27s has mentioned without further mods like installing retracts( and there are no provisions to do so) its not going to be super fast.. as for installing the 90, I had the same idea before I bought it.. when I got it, I soon changed my mind about putting my Jett 90l in it.. I'm not saying it cant be done but to me it would be to extensive to modify the front to fit the large engine and I think it would need some serious re-enforcement to cope with the extra load, not to mention balancing issue's

it's not a bad little plane , but IMO I would choose a different F20 to put retracts and a large engine in.. I sort of look at it like this..whats the point of getting an ARF then having to perform surgery rebuild half of it and then hope it all holds up to the improvements..I would get something more accommodating to what you want the final result to be

.but then again what do I know!!!???!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hack up every Arf I have in my Photos Album here. Thats the best part. Wait'll you guys see what i am doing to that butt ugly purple Voodoo which is just about done with a rebuild and will start a recover.

ORIGINAL: HaveBlue
I sort of look at it like this..whats the point of getting an ARF then having to perform surgery rebuild half of it and then hope it all holds up to the improvements..I would get something more accommodating to what you want the final result to be

.but then again what do I know!!!???!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:32 PM
WeAkEndDFLyER23

SOme pic Of my f-20

Name:	Vt57203.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	345331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65696.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	345332  
Old 10-28-2005, 01:05 PM
crasharama

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't got back to you but have been in Montreal for work for the last month & didn't see this 1 come up.

The photos that Bob 27s posted was my F20, but she is no more unfortunately.

If you are serious about the 20, make sure you replace the control horns supplied in the kit as this is what let go on mine. It sheared off where it "T's" to the mounting plate, with the aweful sound of elevator flutter just before a large bang.........& nothing left. The elevator control linkage is a funny angle, & I think this may have something to do with it as well. As Bob said I had to reshape the engine mount to fit the SJ 50 into the mount as well.

The model itself was well put together but just had a few little things that I would change now in hindsight.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Flip 3D Guy

I just ordered mine this morning from Tower Hobbies. It was the first time I seen it in their flyer and had to have it because I don't have a jet yet, and I do own a Phoenix Models Sukhoi 31 which is an EXTREMELY great ARF for the price (read my review about it on R/C Universe airplane review). How is the quality of this plane? I'm hoping Phoenix Models maintains the quality of their ARFs like the rest of their ARFs. Does this plane land hot? Has anyone used the flaperons to slow the landing? Is the canapy pre installed like the Sukhoi?

If anyone has more pics of the F20 please post.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:02 PM
HaveBlue

Hey Flip , I started my build last night dont know if these photos help.. but I think the quality is good, my only other phoenix plane was a trainer which I was very happy with.. the only thing I dont like is some of the hardware I think some of the metal push rods are to weak so I will upgrade to2-56 and the only other mod I have done is to purchase Robart control Horns after the above mentioned failure.. and seeing as this isnt an all out speed plane at the very last second I changed my engine choice. I did buy a Jett 46 for it, but have now opted to fit an OS 50 sx.. I'll save the jett for my Diamond Dust which is going to be my next project on the table

Name:	If10612.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	346272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58439.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	346273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41946.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	346274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54133.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	346275  
Old 10-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Flip 3D Guy

Thanks for the PICS HaveBlue. Does it look like a fast building ARF, my Phoenix Sukhoi went together in about 6 hours using 5 minute epoxy. I see you also purchased an aluminum spiner? Keep me posted, mine will prolly arrive this Thurs. or Friday. Unfortunately I will not have the engine back for it for prolly another 2 weeks ( I had to send it back for warranty).
Old 10-31-2005, 02:48 PM
HaveBlue

yeah I think this is a quick build , and could be done in 6 hours ..its typical of todays arf's. I bought the aluminium spinner as I did intend to use my jett 46, but even with the 50sx I will use it just to play it safe.

the wing panels could easily be modified for retracts , something I might do a little down the track especially if the nose gear is compatible to accepting a retract unit but I havent had a good look at that yet
I might add wing tip missiles too, even though it's more drag I think it will enhance the looks a little.

I didnt get much done today , just hooked up the aileron linkages but hopefully will get her ready for the weekend maiden flight..will let you know how it goes..although I dont seem to get much time to go fly nowadays, I'll see what happens.

hope your's will be a quick build and keep us posted of how it goes

as for the wing panels though I would use at least 30 minute epoxy for a strong joint, some like to glass the center section but I dont think this one needs it

cheers
Roger
Old 10-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Flip 3D Guy

Roger,

I will keep you up-to-date on mine. I see your are in Australia. Where do you fly? Here is our clubs link http://www.skymasters.org/. In the 2005 Winter pics that's me flying my trainer with floats in the snow.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:26 PM
HaveBlue

some nice planes at your club there Flip. Our club is way behind the times I dont think we have a web site, but I'm hopefully going to maiden the F20 this Sunday so I'll grab some snaps..we actually have a rather limited flying area, as we are right next to a jail on one side, train tracks on the opposite side and a university to the west which send down their site security every time we fly over the field thats between our run way and their buildings and the on the southside is the car park and spectature area.. I dont know how I will go when I get my whiplash and diamond dust going...I'm just glad I havent got a magnum yet as the magnum has a big turning circle and I dont think our field would be very accomdating... I'm rather envious of some of the sites I have seen people fly at here on RCU..I just love those dry lake beds with just miles of open space.

as for the F20 got the tail feathers in with all the linkages.. only thing left to do now is mount the engine, cowl throttle linkage and the L/G..so far lookin good for Sunday!

cheers
Old 11-02-2005, 06:21 AM
crasharama

Hey Haveblue,
Sounds like it is all going together well, looking foward to seeing some photos.

Flip, if you are looking for an alloy spinner for the F20, the Precision Aerobatics Ultimate spinner fits perfectly. http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...spx?prodID=197

It is a fast builder & is well finished, it does have some hot glue in the fuse but not where the stresses are on the airframe, mainly where the fake air intakes are, everywhere else is epoxy.

Tony.

Also if you are intereseted here is the linkk to our club website

www.coolumflyers.com

Old 11-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Flip 3D Guy

This Bites, I got my F-20 Thursday but because of work, college, and a baby on the way I didn't even get a chance to open the box until Saturday. I seen the cover on the fuselage look like it wasn't sticking all the way on toward the back, so Sunday morning (today), I broke out my iron and started ironing the covering down on the fuselage. As I kept trying to iron it down I noticed it looked like it was a funny shape. I looked down in the fuselage and notice it had 2 cracks in it like some one had squeezed it and cracked it and that's why the fuselage covering looked funny. Also, the covering on this model was NOT close to the quality of the Phoenix Sukhoi. I have to wait until Monday to see what Tower Hobbies wants me to do with this.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Flip 3D Guy

Crash, thanks for the info on the spinner. If you read my last entry you'll see I have to send my f-20 back, but I will definitely get that spinner when I get the plane back.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:52 PM
crasharama

How annoying.......

Hopefully Tower will do the right thing by you. With my 1, I couldn't fault the covering, it was alot better than other companies offer.

Goodluck,
Tony.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:51 PM
HaveBlue

good to see you back Crash, and a bummer about your F20 Flip hopefully Tower will do something about that..
there was nothing wrong with the covering on mine , hopefully an isolated incident

things as normal down my end , I didnt get my "A" into gear before Sunday and the project still awaits some finishing, just as well because the weather wasn't ideallic for a maiden ..sort of border line if you know what I mean just as well as I need a new camera just noticed how fuzzy those pic's were.. it got dropped a few weeks back and cant get good shots on it..I at least want to get some good shots out at the field!..and this way I can give the new engine a little bench time

I pretty sure I will try to install a retract system in this one and most likely opted for mechanicals in hopes of saving weight..but thats for later down the track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.