Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

FORA / CYCLON .15 powered speed plane

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

FORA / CYCLON .15 powered speed plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:18 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sand with 600 grit wet or dry paper then vacuum clean then use thinned balsarite...and sand again with 600 grit wet or dry and clean again...the monokote doesn't move or lift after that ever unless there is impact damage and it really helps keep fuel and oil out
Old 02-28-2014, 07:36 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lfinney
I sand with 600 grit wet or dry paper then vacuum clean then use thinned balsarite...and sand again with 600 grit wet or dry and clean again...the monokote doesn't move or lift after that ever unless there is impact damage and it really helps keep fuel and oil out
That sounds like a good system. I might try wearing gloves for the next covering session, too.
The best covering jobs I've ever seen in action on a daily basis were done by a local custom cabinet maker. The type of guy who irons and folds his underwear and rolls his socks. He never showed up at the field with less than a perfect looking plane.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:19 PM
combatpigg

There.
I did SOMETHING today.
I'm still doing a lot of head scratching. It's all about eliminating all the stupid ideas that float to the top. The stupid ideas are allowed to cool off, then flake off from the good ideas like the way slag seperates from a good weld.
Next step will be to fit a block of foam to the center section and start shaping it to the form of your typical BATOUTTAHELL.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ZALP DEMON 003.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	1973912  
Old 03-01-2014, 07:53 PM
iron eagel

Inlaid spars?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:22 PM
combatpigg

Yes, those are full depth spruce. I have a friend at a saw mill who brought me an arm load about 20 years ago.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BatZalp

How many square inches?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:47 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by MJD
BatZalp

How many square inches?
I do not know.
Probably 200 or less.
There might be an additional 1.5" of chord for elevons, plus some span added for curled wing tips. If it flies well, I'll draw it up and then figure out what it's got..

Last edited by combatpigg; 03-01-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:00 AM
iron eagel

Sounds like it will be an awesome little plane.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 PM
combatpigg

Itz lookin mo betta...!
I think it will have more like 250 sq inches.
Most of the rough shaping is done with a 36 grit sanding belt that I fit to encompass a hunk of 2x4 lumber. I'm also using a respirator "half face" type mask since there is a lot of fur flying. If I had this operation fine tuned, I'd use an electric belt sander, but haste makes waste unless a sanding jig is scabbed together to limit how deep you can go. I use a hunk of 1/4" diameter round stock as a way to keep the sandpaper from cutting more than half way through the 1/2" thick plank wing.
It's OK to hog out the rough shape with course paper just as long as you know when to quit.

Name:	ZALP DEMON 005.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	1974713   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZALP DEMON 006.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	1974714   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZALP DEMON 007.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	1974715  

Last edited by combatpigg; 03-03-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 PM
MJD

By the time a fellow gets around to trying to post a witty comment about your last photo and build report, turn around and the darn thing is near done!

Hey I just scored a UCTKAM 2.5KP piped speed engine, fresh. It's an oldie, kind of an F2A trainer engine, but apparently good examples took ukies up to 300kph. So.. unfettered by cables, this ought to be a good match for some small RC frenetic sport speedster. I have a 24" span SWR delta about 1/3 built, that would hold it up against gravity.

That is going to be one screechy little neighbour-pissoffing bat.

Last edited by MJD; 03-03-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:14 PM
combatpigg

Are there any vintage C/L plans [at least for reference] to suit the Uctkam .15..?
The guys at NASS would have something to offer, I'll bet.
This plane I'm building here looks similar to the "Team Race" planes I've seen in the magazines. That's the event with mandatory pit stops and 3 or 4 flyers running in the same circle.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:57 AM
MJD

There are plans around based on the engine. It is or was used as an F2A trainer and probably used in regional events I guess.

But.. RC for me with this one I think. I have the wing and ailerons lying around I made for that SWR delta and they seem perfect. About 185 squares, 1/4" thick wing with some spanwise help from inset 3/16" tubluar CF. Just got to whip up a fuselage and fin (ha ha that's all..).

I read somewhere last night that with some mods these engines will turn an F2A prop up in the 35-36k region. If so that might be fun, yet I think a modern F2D engine might still prove to be a real eye opener.. can't wait to hear how this Zalp creation goes.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:38 AM
iron eagel

That thing is going to haul any way you look at it.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://f2aspeed.org/node/17 This is likely the plane of which you speak. No dimensions are given, but the rules are .5 square dekameters (or something like that) minimum. I talked with the gentleman that built it for his son to fly. He was doing around 100 mph, but thought 130 to 140 was possible. I have a couple of those motors, they were a great deal at $50 each with a pipe. Most have a bit of sand in the castings and that ruins the screws, but they can run ok with a bit of fitting. The bottom left motor is the MDS Ucktam and the one in the plane is an older, rougher and lighter one for use without a pipe. The cleaner one is just an AP .09 that happened to be in the picture. I am too lazy to get out of my chair and take a pic. One of my FAI speed planes is about 22" x 3" average chord, and the stab is normally 50% of the wing area.

Name:	control line motors 031.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	1974787  

Last edited by aspeed; 03-04-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 AM
combatpigg

That's a fantastic build article..!
It's my understanding that the old Soviet Union had state run hobby centers and that their best pilots, builders and mechanics got full time jobs to be on their FAI teams.
I suppose the Uctkam is also a product of this old system.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 AM
aspeed

I think they supported their athletes and competitors. The communist way is everyone equal, so the pay is the same, just the job differs? It is hard to be serious about anything here in the free (expensive) world because it is always the job first, family second, hobbies and sports last. I think some of the old Russian motors were projects for schools. I think I read that somewhere.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:45 PM
MJD

That's the trainer I was looking at. I can see how learning (a) how to fly speed models and (b) how not to melt down F2A engines would be a good beginning.

My engine looks like the one in lower left of your pic. I have seen more than one profile of pipe on them in pics though. My phone was dead last night so no pics, I'll get a couple tonight. After reading the part on that F2A webpage about how the performance picked up on the Rossi pipe, now I want a Rossi pipe..
Old 03-04-2014, 05:11 PM
aspeed

The real FAI pipes have an adjustable outlet size. A smaller size makes it come on the pipe easier, but also overheats easier. Maybe you could look into those. I am not sure the Ucktam could live up to the 40,000 rpm that the pies are made for. Where are you planning on flying them? Centennial Park Etobicoke? The fuel shutoff saves the motors from overheating. Good feature to have.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJD
Where is the go-to place in North America for F2D engines?
MJD...where is the go-to place for the SD kits you have the rights to? I sent you a set of SHRIKE plans for free 2 years ago.

How about that SD short kit you said you would get back with me on? Balsa that scarce in Canada or just ambition?

Why buy rights to a great little delta and then completely drop the ball?

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just blowing you some crap.

Last edited by Speedy-Gonzales; 03-04-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:54 PM
combatpigg

Speedy Gonzalez ...would a set of plans work..?
I'm surprised you don't have a fuel soaked delta laying around to make patterns off of..
Old 03-05-2014, 05:37 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by Speedy-Gonzales
MJD...where is the go-to place for the SD kits you have the rights to? I sent you a set of SHRIKE plans for free 2 years ago.

How about that SD short kit you said you would get back with me on? Balsa that scarce in Canada or just ambition?

Why buy rights to a great little delta and then completely drop the ball?

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just blowing you some crap.
Hey Speedy, I sent you a PM when you PM'ed me the other day. I had completely forgot about sending you the short kit. I have all the parts set out here upstairs already. Are you okay with trimming the CF spars to length? I have a box of full length but nothing precut. Abrasive wheel needed, a Dremel will whistle through it.

Demons have been dormant for a while - you betcha. I started production when I was out of work and had all the free time in the world. I made a run of kits, and they moved in the space of a bit over two years. I didn't lose too much money, just a bit but I didn't expect to do much better on the first go around.

Then.. I landed a full time job with a friend of mine. Busier and more stressed than I have ever had to deal with. No side-line labour of love business for me then, I couldn't do both, but I wanted to and tried for a bit. No way.

It will be four years this April since I started, and the first two years were total hell, and it has remained crazy busy since - but the biz is doing well.

The "other" complicating factor starting a bit over two years ago was buying into an aircraft restoration project. Three of us spent two years of spare time rebuilding and repairing a 1940 Tiger Moth, and it took to the air again last August. And.. I also started flying and got my glider license.

Please don't think I don't feel bad that it has sat idle for a while. I do. But, it is also not a global catastrophe, and the sales volume is quite small especially when you make one product (but I'd like to add more). So a few people have been disappointed for sure, but we'll get through it.

One of the things that I found to be a nuisance was using an outside laser cutting service - especially for R&D. I recently bought a small laser cutter (thanks to working full time for nearly four years , and it was a good deal, and business or not I've been Jonesing for one for years). I still don't have myself up and running, but shouldn't be too long before I get everything debugged and get through the learning curve.

So there is hope the kit line will be active again soon. I've been working on design improvements, other versions etc. casually in the meantime. The 26" version was prototyped and flew like a champ. Two were built, mine on a .15 and another on an OS .25 VF-DF (it was quick, 162 according to the telemetry data). And it cries for kitted lekkie versions.

Okay I have hogtied CP's thread here for long enough. Dennis PM me your mailing address again to be safe but I should have it in my RCU PM file.

Mike
Old 03-05-2014, 05:51 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by aspeed
The real FAI pipes have an adjustable outlet size. A smaller size makes it come on the pipe easier, but also overheats easier. Maybe you could look into those. I am not sure the Ucktam could live up to the 40,000 rpm that the pies are made for. Where are you planning on flying them? Centennial Park Etobicoke? The fuel shutoff saves the motors from overheating. Good feature to have.
I've been told they have been modified to run F2A props in the mid '30's, but they need some work.

This is for RC, not ukie. So it should be possible to run a larger stinger outlet than the F2A guys and take advantage of no lines and the whole sky to accelerate, unload and stage. An IMC will help, I hope, by allowing launch on a leaner needle setting. I am still trying to get my hands on a Profi Junior, been back and forth with the dealer on it.

With the Uctkam I don't plan to take it too seriously and the SWR delta will be perfect. The Junior if I ever get it will be a more substantial effort.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

MJD, I did not get your PM via true RCU fashion. Nothing ...naddah. I will PM you with my direct email address. Reply to it so we can get "harmonized" again! :>)

Sounds like you have a lot going on these days and when the stress levels are high that is when I like to go out and push my nerves over the edge with a delta for some "pucker and shrinkage". Since my dad had a stroke last May I am having trouble finding a launcher. The local guys will launch an electric but not some wild critter that screams loudly and blows oil out all over everything. God I love glow!

Good to hear all you "Speed Freaks" back on the forums. I'm being optimistic hoping the all this damned snow will be gone by June!
I have not seen bare ground since December 19th. How do I know that you may ask? Well I bought me a new "toy" on that date and it started to snow on the way home from Dearborn. I need to wring this thing out too. It's killing me!

Stress is good!!!!

Name:	100_1890.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1,001.3 KB
ID:	1975421  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Speedy-Gonzales; 03-05-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

MJD, I want to pay you for the kit and I will also need a copy of the plans. Please don't ship at your expense for a set of $5.00 Shrike plans.
That just is not fair. You send me a price and I will pay you via PP.

What about that little .15 RE made by MDS? Was that like the Russky UCTKAM .15. I was told the MDS was a pooch.

Last edited by Speedy-Gonzales; 03-05-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

CBP,
Plans are needed but maybe MJD can come through with a set. You just can't beat laser cut parts for self alignment type building.
Hell I can't cut that straight!

Excuse me for cluttering up your FORA .15 forum. I bought 3 FORA's off George Cleveland at the TOLEDO show a few years back. George is a character but a great one too. I still have one that is NIB but not for sale. Just thought I'd let you know that!!!! George sold some nice props for the FORA that were clear green and you could see the CF strip on the inside. These engines would not run right with just any prop.

A friend of mine went to Italy in 1973 and said he brought me home a present. Said he didn't know anything about model engines but the HS owner said I would like it. An original Rossi .15 FAI MK II Special Edition. I still have that too.I have been thinking about putting the FORA and the Rossi to work but have not found that special airframe yet. Maybe the smaller SD that MJD is talking about or a small "hotliner" type model.

You gave me a name for the guy that makes custom CF props and I lost it. My memory sucks!

Last edited by Speedy-Gonzales; 03-05-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.