Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Shrike .10 with MVVS .26 Combat Wombat first flight.

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Shrike .10 with MVVS .26 Combat Wombat first flight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 11:29 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shrike .10 with MVVS .26 Combat Wombat first flight.

I was debating on an engine to get for the Shrike since there are so many out there. My buddy done already flew his with the MVVS .26 with mini pipe and said it runs awesome. So I decided to get the same engine. All I can say is WOW!

I built the plane to plans and had it complete before I ordered the engine. I noticed when I put the engine up it was a bit nose heavy. I made very small mods for the weight of engine and all can be done after plane is built.

What I did was move my throttle servo and elevator servo to rear. I cut out F4 and slid the battery as far as it would go. As for the firewall I cut out two slots on the side and slide my engine mount from behind and letting the 2 forks of engine mount poke through firewall. This allowed the engine to fit nice and snug to firewall. It was about a 1/4 inch closer than if I mounted in front of firewall. The only thing is engine stuck about 1/4 inch or so past the ply ring the kit came with. So now the spinner would have a gap. I took a block of balsa and glue it to my nose and dremeled out to shape of the round nose. I cut out the center and made a small hole for the crank shaft to fit through and made it flush hub. After sanding down it looked like one solid fuse and now tapered nicely to spinner. The extra wood up in nose made no difference since it was only a small balsa made ring. The engine is still where it was I just build up around to look flush with spinner. My CG is at 5'' and it works good. Not to far and not to little.

Now about how the engine runs. All I can say is this engine is awesome! I used a 7x7 APC and it spun like crazy. I didn't put a tac on it after I got it broken in but I will today. I did tac it when it was on bench running sloppy rich and held it there until it ran out of gas. It ran at 15,000 or so the climbed up to 16 to over 17 before it ran out of gas. I forgot what number it was exactly since it happened so fast before it died. I will get an exact number though.
One thing I noticed about this engine it loves that mini pipe. It transitions very fast and you can tell when it kicks on pipe. My GRRT does not hit until 1/2 throttle or so then pipe kicks in. On this .26 It kicks in at 1/4 throttle. Awesome! When it does kick on pipe it has that nice high pitch pipey sound. I love it.

As for flying with this engine. Well I can say I am glad the other guys took off to hunt for a downed plane so I was alone. I was so anxious to see it fly decided to go for it. I cranked it up and set up to lanuch. I ran engine up WOT and tossed into air. It yanked out of my hand and accelerated very quickly. I backed down to half throttle to trim but it was still on pipe and hauling. At that moment I realized that I did NOT put any expo and had max rate in my ailerons! HUGE mistake by me and very stupid. I completely for got to do this and meant to before flying.

The plane took off very quick and up, I went to turn left and it rolled 5 times to left. I went to correct to right and it rolled 5 times to right. At this time my nerves were shot, and I done spit my cigarette out. I finally got it to slow down to a good speed and barely nudged the stick left and right and brought it back in. I was hoping to avoid the paved runway but let it go down there since I was to damn scared to correct. It landed nicely and slide down the the field some.

Damage, well only damage I had was bottom of fuse was a little torn but I can fix that no problems. I noticed my exhaust deflector had come off and all the exhaust had gone half into the plane and half out. Not good.

I took back to table and set my low and high rates. On max throw I have 100% expo and on low rates 20%. I put my deflector back on and tightened up real good and put a drop of thin CA.

By this time the others got back from the woods so I had my buddy launch for me. After my radio adjustments it flew awesome! Very easy to flew and was nice and smooth. I made a few passes then hit it WOT. This little thing is moving! The pipe sounds high pitched and mean in air. Vertical is unlimited as it accelerates going up. Matter fact I took it straight up until I lost it. OOPS... I cut the throttle and lopped over and over till I saw it again.

If anyone looking for a good fast engine I would highly recommend the MVVS .26 Combat Wombat w/ mini pipe. It is a beast and very easy to tune. The carb bore itself is the size of regular 40 size carbs. The heat sink head allows it to run nice and cool. For $89.99 you cant beat it. And I think the pipe was $20 or so.

Fun plane!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52365.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	96259  
Old 02-01-2004, 11:33 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Default RE: Shrike .10 witrh MVVS .26 Combat Wombat first flight.

Here are some after flight pictures. The damage to bottom and notice lost exhaust deflector. That will need to be fixed.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:59 AM
FlooredCOBRA

some reason having a hard time uploading pictures.

Name:	Vt58501.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	96277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75239.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	96278  
Old 02-01-2004, 03:14 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi and congrats for your maiden ! Thanks for the detailed flight report.

Well, it's a little bit frightening for someone not used to flying such quick aircraft, but someone who shall do it one day ... Mine is underway now .

Did u use recommended throws ?

Why did not u use the provided bottom fuse protection (double sided tape + abs) ?
Old 02-01-2004, 04:54 PM
SALMONBUG
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrat for your maiden !!!

what are your throws acualy?
Old 02-01-2004, 05:41 PM
Charlie E

Hey FlooredCOBRA,

Reading about your maiden flight makes me want to go out and fly mine. These little planes are so much fun. Each and every person that enjoys speed needs to own a Shrike.

Good job, I enjoyed reading your thurough post.

Charlie
Old 02-01-2004, 06:23 PM
FlooredCOBRA

thanks guys,

As for my throws I am not sure. Going to measure.....

Okay got it now. On my elevator have as much as i can mechanically go. I put in 25% expo in elevator.
I like this setup and have this on my my Diamond Dust, it is nice to have extra for landings. I found the Shrike kind of acts the same when landing.

I also found that with the CG at 5'' there is more than enough to flare on landings. In air it acted just fine and not squirrelly at all. Very easy to fly.

OK on my ailerons I have 1/4 inch on low rates with 20% expo, on high I have as far as they can go with 100% expo. This is the most expo I cant get from my radio. It is very easy to handle both on high and low rates.

I feel so stupid for not doing this before flying first time. I usually have it all done before hand. Oh well it worked out anyways luckily.

As for the protection tape I didn't want to cover up my bird on bottom. It took me long enough to get it on there and wanted the full thing to show. I had planned on landing in the taller grass at our field to prevent scrubs. But just so happened I was forced to land where it went on that first flight. Just so happen it was on runway. I may or may not put it on there, will see how it goes.

I did notice on my two vertical tails the bottom rear corner was scuffed. I am thinking this happened on my first landing. Going to fix and see how they hold up. If not I may add something back there to prevent that.

I just love this little plane. This thing moves on out and its lots of fun to fly. I think its more fun than my Diamond Dust and sure looks better in air I think.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:34 PM
SALMONBUG

Default RE: Shrike .10 with MVVS .26 Combat Wombat first flight.

thanks for info floored cobra. Here are my sttings for the maiden 1/4 on ailerons with 30%expo. 1/4 on elevator on low rate with 30%expo and a hig rate on elevator up to 1/2 with 30% expo.
plane will balance on the plan cg for maiden.

I won't be in charge of the maiden flight, my 13 years old neveuw will do it, I promised him and he is already a extreme plane adict soloed on jett 50 whip (young peoples learn fast !)
Old 02-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to mention how trustful SalmonBug is, the whip has been kitted [X(] (not re-kitted because it 's not a kit) two weeks ago by his nephew ....
Old 02-02-2004, 04:09 PM
SALMONBUG

I will have my revenge, he will receive a bottle of CA for christmas
Old 02-02-2004, 11:27 PM
FlooredCOBRA

OUCH!

I just received new needle valves for my dust since my other 2 broke some how. I will now have to raise my engine up a hair to allow for the longer length. Hopefully I will be ready to fly it this weekend. Its been a while since I flown that thing, so I am excited to get it in the air again. So far no wrecks with it.....whew!

It will be nice to do some crazy fast flying again. My Shrike is fast but not extreme, the Dust will always run circles around it. I am going to have to shake my nerves up all over again. It would be nice to teach my son to fly it. But for now I think he will stick with the trainer..
Old 02-28-2004, 02:28 PM
MyWay

Try a apc 7/8 for more speed.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:10 PM
FlooredCOBRA

I may pick one up next time at hobby shop if i remember. So far been happy with the way it flies. It is an all around fun plane to mess around with. My intentions was not to make it as fast as I could but to have a fun small plane to bring to field every now and then.

A buddy of mine has the same plane with same engine. Thats when the fun starts is flying them at same time. Just wish more people flew these at our field. We could really have a ball flying all at once.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:15 PM
SALMONBUG

in flight wing failure ! [:@]

Name:	Sp45272.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	106291  
Old 02-29-2004, 11:46 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Ouch!

I had a misfortune also with my Shrike. I launched and 2 seconds after it was in air engine died. It stalled and cartwheeled down field before it finally stopped. It cracked some sheeting under right wing and make some holes. No idea how the heck so many holes was made just by cartwheeling.

But now have it all fixed and ready to go again. Once again I had to cut out that damn bird on bottom. Not a fun fix. Funny thing is after it stalled I took back to table and it cranked right back up again. No problems......weird