Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

NEED INFORMATION ON BLADDER TANKS.

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

NEED INFORMATION ON BLADDER TANKS.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 10:59 PM
alcohol burner
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED INFORMATION ON BLADDER TANKS.

I AM CURRENTLY FINISHING UP BUILDING MY DIAMOND DUST....I AM PUTTING A QUICKIE 500 DUBB JETT ENGINE ON IT......
I HAVE A 8.75 X8.75 PROP ON IT TURNING EXACTLY 18,900 RPMS O THE TEST BENCH.......A FRIEND OF MINE HAS A JETT 30 ON A DUST...HE IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH FUEL FOAMING...LEANING OUT ALL THE TIME.....TRIED ARMORALL IN FUEL....STILL GETTING MASSIVE AMOUNT OF BUBBLES DUE TO THE VIBRATION......I KNOW THAT THIS QUICKIE MOTOR IS GOING TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.......I JUST WANT TO GET A BLADDER STYLE TANK TO PUT IN IT BEFORE I GO AHEAD AND COVER THE TOP PORTION OF THE PLANE....BECAUSE THE COVERING ACTUALLY HOLDS THE TANK IN IT......ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED ABOUT WHERE I CAN PURCHASE THIS STYLE OF SETUP.....THANKS TO ALL........

TIM

765-478-9789
Old 09-27-2004, 11:33 PM
HavinFun
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: NEED INFORMATION ON BLADDER TANKS.

Jett carries them in several sizes.

http://www.jettengineering.com/
Old 09-28-2004, 08:43 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Tim,

Good call, and good obervation. The high output engines do tend to create fuel foam quite easily, especially on planes such as the dust where its hard to pad the fuel tank.

As noted above, go to the jett web site, tanks are located in the ACCESSORIES section. The bubble-jett tanks are the same ones we use for Q-500 racing. There is a new "short" 6oz tank that fits very well on the DD and on the Whiplash. Either that one, or any of the 6oz version will work. The tanks come fully assembled including the fuel line.

As an alternate, TETRA makes bubble-free tanks as well. They are available in a few different sizes from central hobby and PSP.

Of note, the bubble-jett fuel tanks are available in a variety of sizes. We sell quite a number of them as replacement tanks for ARF planes where fuel foaming becomes an issue.

Bob
Old 09-29-2004, 11:22 PM
d plane boss
My Feedback: (1)

I, too, had problems with foaming on my whip and DD with either a Jett 50 or a West 50. I tried everything - tried to insulate with foam, Armorall, etc. Even bought a couple of Tetra's, but would have to cut up the whip pretty good just to fit it in. Then I came across the perfect solution. Went to Tower and ordered the O.S. "bubbless" tank clunk. It's a sintered nickle-plated clunk with an "O" ring around it to keep it from bangin' up the tank. ALL my foaming problems completely disappeared. I couldn't believe it! But I swear it works. I can run out the entire tank now without so much as a sputter from air in the fuel feed line. I've been in this hobby for 43 years now and would never have believed that this clunk would work. They're pretty pricey - about $14, but they work GREAT!!!!!
All my high speed engines now have the O.S. Bubbless clunks in the tanks. Problem solved.
Randy
Old 09-30-2004, 07:39 AM
daven

If the clunk is $14 and the tank is a few dollars more, I guess I would spend my money on a bladder tank instead. The Tettra at www.pspec.com comes in 4 oz, 5.25 oz, and 6 oz sizes for less than $20. Great tanks, that cannot foam because no air is in the system.

You will need a syringe though, I wouldn't waste your time on the cheap ones, buy the Jett Tanker at www.jettengineering.com . Its the largest, easiest to use syringe you can buy.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:01 AM
bob27s

Here is the whiplash tank. Also can be used on the DD. Fits like a glove in the whiplash.....

Identified on the website as the [link=http://www.jettengineering.com/accy/accy.html]6oz Short tank[/link].
Old 09-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: alcohol burner

....STILL GETTING MASSIVE AMOUNT OF BUBBLES DUE TO THE VIBRATION

TIM

765-478-9789
Vibration may cause foam but BUBBLES are caused by a leak in the fuel line or bad tank plumbing. The bladder tank is a good idea but I have had two Dust's with the Sport Jett 50 engine and never had a problem with foam or bubbles using a standard 6 oz. tank.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:39 PM
daven

Bob,

Your link doesn't work.

Looks like a Polecat Tank to me
Old 09-30-2004, 02:34 PM
bob27s

link works now one day I wlil learn how to tpye correctly.

btw... Thanks Mike... that's a point. With properly set up fuel tank on a DD, and a properly balance prop (probably most critical of all) there is no reason you should not be able to run the standard tank without foam problems.

The only reason I suggest the bubble-jett tank is to avoid the problem in the first place, and since there is little room for a tank, having the ability to use every last drop of the 6oz helps flight endurance without worries of that "low-tank lean out".

The Jett 30 is a pretty smooth running engine, even up at 18-19K rpm. I'm not sure why your friend's installation would generate that much energy to foam the fuel that badly. Tell me more about that installation, and perhaps we can corret that problem at the source.

Also, armourall in the fuel.....be very careful with that. It does work in some cases, but use VERY VERY little.