Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

OPS question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:23 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OPS question

How many versions/iterations of the OPS Super .60 are there? I have a Super .60 purchased in Germany in the late '80's that looks like every other picture of an OPS .60 I've ever seen - gold anodized head etc. I ran this for a while on a pattern bipe with muffled pipe, and it was always a very strong runner, and sweet handling too. Euro spec compression of course, I used 5% nitro only. It think it needs a home in a fast airplane, and I guess my question is related to the suitability of this engine in stock form for something like a fast delta or purpose-built speed plane. Are there alternate piston/sleeves with different timing available, or should I simply (?) shell out for a .60LX (well, I'd like to anyway), that sort of thing. I understood one company in the US was supporting OPS engines for a while with stock and I think aftermarket parts.

Is someone out there knowledgable about OPS stuff? Should I just bolt this to a sport aero model and enjoy it instead?

Thx

MJD

Old 10-18-2006, 12:45 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OPS question

Jetpack sent me these links when I was looking for a needle valve, mainly boats and trucks.

http://aeromarinerc.com/

http://www.niagaramarinehobbies.com/

http://nternationalnitro.com/

Those three suppliers are the only distributors of OPS parts that I know of. Please add more to this string if you find them.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:30 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

I have a ops 60 purchased from a german engine builder, claims 24k out of it with included pipe. When received, I looked at the internal mods. Scarry, 8 ports, piston cut down, rod shaved etc. Am afraid to run the thing. Suggest you go with the Jett. Keep good care of it with after run oil, and it will be the longest lasting, therefor the most cost efrfective engine you have ever had. I now have 3, a 35 (favorite) 50 and 90, and a 60 LlX ordered. All run strong, idel and transition well. If you want a real fast engine, buy the Quickee 500 verson from Jett or Nellson.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an NIB OPS 60 rear exhaust with pipe and the whole thing aching to "come out of the closet." Would have happened hod DD not folded. Instead I have these "stoooopid" projects keep coming up.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:30 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: rmenke

I have a ops 60 purchased from a german engine builder, claims 24k out of it with included pipe. When received, I looked at the internal mods. Scarry, 8 ports, piston cut down, rod shaved etc. Am afraid to run the thing. Suggest you go with the Jett. Keep good care of it with after run oil, and it will be the longest lasting, therefor the most cost efrfective engine you have ever had. I now have 3, a 35 (favorite) 50 and 90, and a 60 LlX ordered. All run strong, idel and transition well. If you want a real fast engine, buy the Quickee 500 verson from Jett or Nellson.
I'm a believer already, I own a Jett .50 and indeed it is one fine engine. Jetts are everything everyone says they are. 60LX is next on my list.

It's just that I'd like to put the OPS .60 to good use, so wondered about changing sleeves or the like to change the state of tune less towards pattern and more towards balls out power. It is a robust engine so I have no reason to suspect it is not built to run up. But, there are other possiblities; my 14yr old is getting pretty good at flying so soon he'll need a good aerobatic bird. A Kaos or the like on the OPS would be a fine thrasher for him. And me too, I'll have to thoroughly test it for him first..

But my Whiplash looks like a good home for a hot RE piped .60 you see.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:03 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Put the OPS on a test stand, install an 11x7 or 11x8 on it, and fire it up. By the time you get done tweeking the pipe, you will not be disapointed
Old 10-23-2006, 12:59 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: bob27s
Put the OPS on a test stand, install an 11x7 or 11x8 on it, and fire it up. By the time you get done tweeking the pipe, you will not be disapointed
10-9 maybe on a Whip..?

Could well be it has more to offer as is. It used to power my Pulsar pattern bipe, using an 11-7 Zingali. The bipe drag was probably stifling it a bit, but the all up weight of that bipe was in the Porky Pig category, as in >8 pounds (soo-eee!) and it pulled it with authority. I never did mess with the pipe length much, so there could be more there yet. It would be interesting to see just how much top end it has, might drop in a head shim or two and run 15%, that way I don't have to keep 5% around just for one engine. It really is a quality piece of work; idles like a sewing machine, good transition, lots of power, good manners. Kinda purty too.

Pipe question: how much benefit on top end is a "nitro" pipe versus muffled? Do you suppose if I bring the pipe length down the tuning of the engine as it is now will result in more top end in the mid to high teens rpm, or would porting need tweaking as well? AFAIK this engine was "pre-stroker" days and as such was set up to run 11-7 - 11-8 and the like on >100 mph pattern planes.

No matter what it does, I still want a .60LX though, have no fear... just waiting for the toy account to refill, and doggone it here comes Xmas...

MJD
Old 10-23-2006, 02:34 PM
bob27s

Nitro pipe does not have additional baffles or a muffled section - it is a pure pipe from inlet to outlet. But, as you might expect - it tends to be loud.

A marine nitro pipe is generally set up for higher rpm and a larger volume - assuming you will be running in the top 1/3 of the rpm range most of the time. That is the highest performance you will see.

The Macs quiet pipes actually seem to perform very very well these days. The muffler section really does not result in a real noticible loss.

On your setup, run what ya got. Set the pipe at about 13.2 " to start with (plug to fat part). Allow for adjustment down about 1/2" shorter from there. Then play with it on some different props. Im sure that 10x9 or a 10x10 is not out of the question In fact, if you want some fun, get ahold of an APC 11x13 prop, and cut it to about 9.5" diameter.

The old OPS gold head I flew for pattern one season ran fine on 15% out of the box - but if you have a shim, put it in.

Another thought - if you know of anyone that has one lying around, see if you can grab a JMP or Top Gun fan pipe. I think the O-ring setup is the same on the OPS as it is for the OS and Rossi (maybe). Might be fun to play with on the bench
Old 10-24-2006, 09:38 AM
MJD

Thanks for all the advice Bob. Your wrists must get sore from all the help line work..

MJD
Old 10-24-2006, 10:40 AM
I-Love-Jets

Hello, if you have the FIRE or FISE OPS 60 goldhead, these engines are only good for what they are designed for: pattern flight

They feature piston liners making relatively high torque but low top end. If you simply increase exhaust timing, this won’t help much since the relatively small cross section of the crankshaft induction is the limiting factor here.

But if you are the lucky owner of one goldhead RIRE OPS 60 having the nice alu spinner, this is a very very top end engine. In fact it is hard to find another 60 engine producing this high amount of revs. Nowadays this goldhead RIRE type is highly sought-after here in Europe because of their insane power of up to 25000 U/min during flight.

I myself own both goldhead OPS engine types, the FIRE “pattern†and the RIRE “speed†engine. But I will never run these pieces of jewellery.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79942.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	547174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32086.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	547175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85061.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	547176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45611.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	547177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep85319.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	547178  
Old 10-24-2006, 02:26 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: I-Love-Jets

Hello, if you have the FIRE or FISE OPS 60 goldhead, these engines are only good for what they are designed for: pattern flight

They feature piston liners making relatively high torque but low top end. If you simply increase exhaust timing, this won’t help much since the relatively small cross section of the crankshaft induction is the limiting factor here.

But if you are the lucky owner of one goldhead RIRE OPS 60 having the nice alu spinner, this is a very very top end engine. In fact it is hard to find another 60 engine producing this high amount of revs. Nowadays this goldhead RIRE type is highly sought-after here in Europe because of their insane power of up to 25000 U/min during flight.

I myself own both goldhead OPS engine types, the FIRE “pattern†and the RIRE “speed†engine. But I will never run these pieces of jewellery.
Interesting. Mine is the FIRE pattern engine. It has, at most, 3 hours of running time on it. It is truly one of the nicest handling engines I have encountered. Since it is already run, I may as well continue to use it but in some way worthy of the engine. Perhaps a high risk life on the front of a Whiplash is not the right idea, but I'll think about it. I should at the very least get it on the bench and work on the pipe setup. I should buy another pipe for it anyway, mine got beat up in storage after I pulled it off the bipe.

Nice looking RIRE version you have there.. wish it was mine! []

Thanks!

MJD
Old 11-05-2006, 12:02 PM
I-Love-Jets

ORIGINAL: MJD

Nice looking RIRE version you have there.. wish it was mine! []

Thanks!

MJD
Hello MJD and others,

there’s currently one these rare OPS 60 goldhead RIRE speed engines on auction at the large bay here in Germany. It seems to be unused and the spinner is not yet modified to fit a prop. I would be surprised if the seller (no, I don’t know him) would refuse to ship internationally. Just keep in mind that this is the most powerful .60 speed engine. Nothing but the optimum for the speed folks here in this forum. Not comparable with any other .60 engine…
Old 11-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Dang-it! I-Love-Jets, I hate you (Just kidding obviously) I was so excited to see this thread and I wanted to post the pic I have (Same as yours apparently) I think this OPS is one of the most beautiful engines of all time!

The Hanno is up there, the BVM-96 is up there and the Rossi-53 is up there for me...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20355.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	554938  
Old 11-06-2006, 10:06 AM
MJD

Hello MJD and others,

there’s currently one these rare OPS 60 goldhead RIRE speed engines on auction at the large bay here in Germany. It seems to be unused and the spinner is not yet modified to fit a prop. I would be surprised if the seller (no, I don’t know him) would refuse to ship internationally. Just keep in mind that this is the most powerful .60 speed engine. Nothing but the optimum for the speed folks here in this forum. Not comparable with any other .60 engine…
How do I access this auction? Or is it over already... ?

Thanks,

MJD
Old 11-06-2006, 11:14 AM
I-Love-Jets

Well, the auction ends at Sunday. You may do a search at Fleeeebay Germany using “OPS†as keyword in the RC-Modellbau rubric…

And there’s also a kind of unique auction over here running only for two days. This should be like Eastern and Christmas time together for the real speed folks. It is a complete fuselage negative mold of a modified Kaiser “Speedmodellâ€. That is the fastest speedmodell known so far here in Germany (also winner’ model type of German Speed-Cup 2005 and 2006). In addition the mold for the fitting speed propeller (small diameter and very high pitch) is offered as well as a super high speed turbine delta capable of over 350 mph...

So this should be an unique opportunity to purchase a real competition speedmodell mold for the addicted international speed flyer (or if you have the time and abilities to do you could design your own competition speed fuselage and make a mold of it).
Old 11-06-2006, 01:14 PM
MJD

I found them, thanks. The simple answer of typing "www.ebay.de" in my browser hadn't occured to me..

MJD
Old 11-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

DAMMMM... I-love-jets [:@]

Did you have to let the cat out of the bag...? I already spotted them (always looking for a deal) before you posted this here... Now the revvers are going to be all over it...

Just kidding Everybody deserves a chance... I still have the advantage of living very close to Köln...
Old 11-08-2006, 07:49 AM
I-Love-Jets

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

Now the revvers are going to be all over it...
Old 11-08-2006, 01:57 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

Now the revvers are going to be all over it...

Well, we're up to 157 euros for the OPS 60 and three days left. So much for a bargain! [&o] I wonder how far it will go.

MJD
Old 11-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

OOPS: wrong window...
Old 11-09-2006, 09:29 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

What I am thinking is why can't some of these other engine manufacturers make an enging that runs like the OPS??
Old 11-09-2006, 10:05 AM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: buzzingb

What I am thinking is why can't some of these other engine manufacturers make an enging that runs like the OPS??
short answer - No market for it (15-20 engines a year do not make for a market)

A few manufactures do make engines that run as well or better than OPS. Not hard to find if you are involved in racing/speed/df/cl combat/ff/marine/cars. But you won't find many of them them for sale at tower hobbies. Those modellers really serious about the speed business and competition often build their own engines (might say OPS, Rossi, CMB, Picco, OS, K&B on the crankcase, but that is where it ends)

Pattern changed in 1988 and again when engine limits were eliminated - so most 10cc pattern engines are gone
Ducted fan went the way of the horse and buggy - so the need for 15cc performance engines went away -few available any longer.

Market trends these days (at least in the USA) are for quiet, cheap, idiotproof.

So for performance engines, today those that are available to specialty markets are loud, expensinve, idiot-resistant
Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 AM
MJD

The cool stuff is so often not the stuff that puts bread on the table for the manufacturers - true in many facets of industry.

Like .020's and .010's for example... those ain't money makers and they're a b---h to manufacture. Performance .049's I guess fall under the same category, as do RIRE high performance .60's and .90's...

MJD