Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

The worst plane you have ever flown

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

The worst plane you have ever flown

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 07:29 AM
nitro junky
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The worst plane you have ever flown

We all like to brag about how grate our planes are. But we all have had a plane that just sucked. You know what I am talking about. The plane you were happy to see hit the dirt just so you would not have to fly it again. Or maybe you gave it away just to get rid of it.

I had a Dura plane Aerobat with an os .46 and a pipe. It was quick but that thing was all over the sky and I could not get it to hold a line to save my life. I was more than happy to see that one go down the road.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:53 AM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: The worst plane you have ever flown

Mine had to be the first plane I learned on.It was a dynaflight 46 size P-51 mustang.I had pointey leading edges on it man was it uncontrollable.After someone who new a thing or two about planes advised me too round out the leading edges what a difference.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's more like poorly contstructed. many planes by Ace/Thunder Tiger are held together with Hotglue in of all places, the landing gear.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:39 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One was a Bridi basic trainer that a friend built (kit ) back in the mid 70's...
That airplane was heavy, under-powered (O.S. .20 ) and crooked EVERYWHERE[:'(]...I mean it had a warped wing, the stab was glued on cockeyed, and the fin/rudder were leaning...
It would do a snap roll by just pulling back on the stick a little bit...

Another was a G.P. Corsair .40 (kit built ) that another friend asked me to test fly...
I don't know if you've ever tried, but trying to check for warps in a Corsair wing is tough...it's got the gull wing, and all those angles, it's difficult to tell just how bad it was...
I didn't want to hurt the guys feelings by telling him he did a lousy job, and he said "don't worry, if it crashes, I won't get mad at ya"...so...I test flew it.
It took full right aileron and rudder to get it trimmed at around 3/4 throttle. It would change trim with throttle setting, and getting it back down was [X(] but I did it!
I felt like telling him to do us both a favor and burn it![:'(]
Old 01-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll add another vote for the Duraplane....what a pile....
Old 01-27-2007, 12:42 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The WORST POS? There are a few and they are all tied for worst place. The COX EZ BEE trainer was too flimsy to trim hands off. The ZAGI was only able to get up to 1 mph above stall speed with the gear it came with. The HOBBY SHACK 1/2A SST was enough to make most guys quit flying 1/2A. Any kit with a size range of .049-.10 qualifies as an under achiever with .049 power. The PIECE O' CAKE should really be renamed the PIECE O' SHI7. As far as speed planes go, the Lanier ARF PREDATOR of mine has all the covering seams facing into the wind, hot glued firewall that popped loose in the middle of a 4 plane heat, wing incidence problem that needed to be corrected with a 3/16" thick shim at the T.E., possibly more that I've forgotten about. The worst part about my bad experiences is that they are centered around ARFs. It's time to wise up and just say NO to mediocre junk.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Global Tequila Sunrise...

Super heavy and flew like it-
The covering came off on like the 2nd flight, literally peeled off.

I hated that airplane-
Old 01-27-2007, 01:13 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That plane used to get all sorts of glitzy advertisement. I'll bet Chris Chianelli [that lieing sack of s--t] gave it 2 thumbs up .
Old 01-27-2007, 01:18 PM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

Most deffinatly a Nexstar. That thing was junk from day one.

Bob
Old 01-27-2007, 02:06 PM
SSGSPEEDMAN

Lets see... I had an Ace Corsair that was design for a .049. It was a kit, and had a foam wing.

Well me the speedman that I am, don't believe in over powering airplanes. So I put a TTgp .15,
I clocked 85mph. Now that was a fun plane but the frame and wing itself was heavy.

It was heavy for a small plane. I put landing gear on and beefed the wing by adding small section of sheet metal.
It was fun, but very hard to do loops. It wanted to twist. Well one day dad was flying and did a hammerhead stall.
After that it went into a spin and was never recovered. Learned my leason not to buy ACE kits anymore.

Kevin
Old 01-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

I hated that airplane-
Razor...surprized to hear that....

My first one flew great with a Supertigre .51...Knife edge looped it too.
It crashed when I got too slow with a tail wind turning base on a landing approach.

The second ond never did fly as good as the first one. Sold it new pilot killed it in a week.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

It was a LONG time ago... I believe I had a 25 or 28 in it- Poor construction, poor quality materials, crooked and heavy.

When the covering peeled off I just took my gear out of it and threw it away---
Old 01-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duraplane?? I had a Duraplane that flew great. I sanded the incidence out of the wing, changed to a V tail with big controls and used a Fox .50. No gear-hand launched. That sucked would flat spin great. Coming out you could see the plane wobble when the fuselage twisted. Same for after snap rolls. Pretty soon the fuselage had a permanent set to one side. It was a fun plane until I got so many creases in the wings I had to retire it.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:48 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Anything with a FOX engine. I've bought 2 planes on RCU with FOX motors, what pieces of *****!!!![:'(][:@] The motors would quit at different times during the flight (usually during take-off) and force a dead stick. All the guys at the field could not figure out the problem (it wasn't tuning and it wasn't fuel lines and fuel tank), I switched to an OS .46FX and West. 50 and haven't looked back.

As for airframes, it defintely has to be the Megatech Airstrike.

http://www.megatech.com/product_deta...ft.php?ID=9700

That thing was underpowered, and could never gain the airspeed/lift to keep itself from crashing right back into the dirt. Plus the lack of ailerons, made it quite hard to control. I've noticed that those "beginner" electric RTF planes, which are underpowered and lack ailerons are harder to fly than our so-called "advanced" nitro models.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:44 PM
freakingfast

Nexstar. POJ
Old 01-27-2007, 11:58 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I will agree that with the "auto-pilot" on the Nexstar flew like crap...but after I disconnected it, I thought it was one of the most stable and forgiving trainers I have ever flown.

When that auto-pilot thing was hooked up and turned all the way up, I couldn't get the damn airplane to do what I wanted it to do![:@][:'(]

As soon as I dis-connected it and treated it like a regular airplane, I thought it had some of the nicest, most friendly stall characteristics I've encountered...especially with the L.E. cuffs on and the perforated "flaps".
After we cleaned it up, the guy who owned it soloed on the 4th flight.

A friend had the small Duraplane...(I forgot about those! )
He had a K&B Sportster .20 on it...and it flew like a plastic pig...
Eventually, he had a whole roll of fiberglass strapping tape on the (very wrinkled ) wing
Old 01-28-2007, 12:50 AM
freakingfast

I removed all the foreign objects, Lift enhancers, flaps and auto pilot from the Nexstar and it began to fly just ok. I still won't recommend it to a student; I tell them "any trainer but that one". It's just my preference I guess.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:38 AM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

The Superstar 40 was my first trainer. I loved that airplane....may it rest in peace

I was thinking about buying a new one and mounting an Aiptek video camera on it (or maybe rockets )
Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 AM
150flyer

My first plane was a Nexstar, my worst plane was a Nexstar. Now as an instructor, I dread buddy boxing with any student that shows up with a Nexstar.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:58 AM
WMB

I haven't had too many planes, but the Pica P-51 1/12 from a kit was the worst. I had a 15 on it. It didn't fly slow and was a handful on landing. It went in after I gave a full up elevator input and it stalled and snapped in. To be fair, the poor flying qualities may have been built into it by myself. I put the 15 on a Shrike and that flys so much better.
MikeB
Old 01-29-2007, 09:17 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

I hated that airplane-
I tend to give any airplane a fair chance, based on what it is, who built it, what it intended to fly like...

But this one gets my vote too.....
Looked nice in the box...
but no matter what I tried/did/trimmed/balanced - it just never flew right.

Most of the stuff from hobbyshack/hobbypeople and pilot were fairly decent products.... this one was just not well designed.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:23 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The original Top Flite Elder 20, straight out of the box was virtually un controllable. I've flown two in the stock configuration, and the rudder just wasn't big enough. Then the landing gear, in its far forward position did stop nose overs but also made the thing bounce like a kangaroo on landing.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:28 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

That plane used to get all sorts of glitzy advertisement. I'll bet Chris Chianelli [that lieing sack of s--t] gave it 2 thumbs up .
So how do you really feel about him?

My brief stint during the early '90's working in the marketing department of a hobby manufacturer taught me one valuable lesson - never, ever believe a GD word of what you read in magazine reviews. Okay they are not total fabrications, but isn't it funny how many top quality products there are out there?...

A typical scenario - product developer designs product, builds a couple of prototypes himself, trims and test flies them himself (you see a problem/pattern developing already?), declares them sound, then they go into production. Pre-production kit is sent to a buddy who happens to do magazine reviews. Buddy builds/assembles model, maybe has a couple of problems and calls designer buddy to discuss, gets sorted out. Reviewer tests product, declares product good stuff, well done, quality this, great flight performance, nothing more than a minor niggle here and there sure to be corrected in the production versions, and off you go - a very positive review of a new and exciting product! Manufacturer advertises product in very same publication...

No opportunity for BS in this scenario, is there?

I ain't making that up, been there seen that got the T-shirt as they say.

MJD
Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: 150flyer

My first plane was a Nexstar, my worst plane was a Nexstar. Now as an instructor, I dread buddy boxing with any student that shows up with a Nexstar.
Oh great, my son has one for this spring.. please elaborate, what is wrong with it? I don't like the rear wing bolt retention for starters, heard there have been issues with that. If it holds together, how does it fly in general, without the LE droops and speed brakes?

Any comments or advice would be highly appreciated!

MJD
Old 01-29-2007, 10:32 AM
wavy777

VMAR edge 540..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.