Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:14 PM
TimeFLYING
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weston Magnum

Is there anywhere in the US to get one of these? I googled and only got UK stores.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 08:15 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Weston Magnum

You obviously didn't do a search here as the question is asked about every other week. No place to get the new R version. Weston USA still has a couple old versions and I think they are out of motors now too. There was talk of a new place selling the old versions, do a search you'll find the info...
Old 07-18-2007, 10:10 PM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

On the Weston site www.westonuk.co.uk they have been advertising for awhile that they now have a shipping center in the US. I haven't tried to order from them but they have a cart for it and this isn't the same as WestonUSA which I did order from a couple years ago.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will need a new on soon, mine is getting oil soaked! Just replaced the fin covering and 5 flights last weekend the nose ring is loose, cowl wood looks bad ( oil).

? Is the Nitro planes clone of the magnum a true clone with wheels added?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

It is a true clone. I had one and crashed it, RX issue.
The front gear just screws on to a plate in the bottom of the fuse. Tail wheel is a added on joke.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:45 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Get one of these instead:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95532.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	725980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35068.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	725981  
Old 07-19-2007, 03:21 AM
paulhenley

Hi mate, i would stay away from magnums too

I have the Magnum R (in uk) with west 51 and pipe and the build quality on it sucks especially for the price they are, the hinges are slotted squiff, covering falls off, the airlons are about 10mm too smalll of the holses in the wing, the airel tube doesn't go out of the hole in the model even tho they have pre-installed it, the rates and throws weston reccomend are stupidly high it glides like a builing brick... i'd go for another model ... am probs going to sell mine having had 3 flighs on it

just my chips

Henley
Old 07-19-2007, 04:26 AM
asimace

Well... I must say instead that I just couldn't want more in quality from my MagnumR... this is my second one after having a first generation Magnum and the quality is much better than the first one.
I just finished assembling mine 3 weeks ago and it took me not more than 4 or 5 hours... everything was just perfect and didn't need any work to get the pieces in place... of course I did spend an hour or so passing over all the covering but I do this on any ARF, of any maker...
After about 20 or so flights the covering is now still perfectly in place (I did have some covering problems with the first generation instead... on the new one they have changed it).
Anyway I changed the black and white chequered covering on the underside of the wing with high visibility fluo orange... that is the only thing I didn't like of the MagnumR when I took it out of the box.
The engine mount is already in place, it just needs to be tightened well with some thread-locker.
No problems with the hinges, just used some super-thin CA and they are in place, and my ailerons are just the right size, leaving 1 mm or so on both ends.
I actually used only CA to assemble the model... even the tail planes and the fin...
My aerial tube arrives all the way to the back and has a hole ready to let the aerial out, even though I didn't need it because I'm using the Spektrum system. In any case I wouldn't call that a problem!
Suggested rates are ok even though I use a good amount of expo.
You are right about the glide, but the Magnum is not a glider... and those fast landings are just part of the fun!
As soon as the fuel ends you just have to be quick to point the field and land.
I have CG just behind the aft one Weston suggests and I can flare well on the final and the model slows down very nicely and then slips on the grass for about 5 meters after touch down.
For just 139 euro I couldn't ask more... and it won't be my last one either I think.
This is funny, we seem to be talking about two different models!
Ciao, Mauri
Old 07-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Get one of these instead:
Razor,
from who and how much?

bob
Old 07-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Razor-RCU

Hey Bob- This is the 'Rifle" designed and kitted by AngelRC

Almost exactly the same size as the Magnum---
Old 07-19-2007, 04:16 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you flown the Rifle yet?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Razor-RCU

Hey Vic-bro! Nah, I got it going but there is a bit of work to do to get her ready----My West-50 needs to go home to the UK to get "fixed" after my last Magnum flight (and I use the term flight looseley).

I have been working on my 2x2 pattern ship which is ready to fly
Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: asimace
I have CG just behind the aft one Weston suggests and I can flare well on the final and the model slows down very nicely and then slips on the grass for about 5 meters after touch down.
For just 139 euro I couldn't ask more... and it won't be my last one either I think.
This is funny, we seem to be talking about two different models!
Ciao, Mauri
One of the issues with the Magnum is the very forward recommended CG locations. Many folks are flying them with the CG moved back noticably from the rearmost recommended location. If you do a standard workup of the neutral point you'll find the recommended CG's are wayyyy forward. Great for stability but really messes up the ability to flare. IIRC (some months ago I did this) I came up with 190mm as still giving a decent static stability margin. I have not moved mine back that far but I heard some folks were flying at such locations. Any such moves are at your own discretion! Watch those throws.

My R's are reasonably well built, although the ailerons do have a gap at either end due to being a bit too short. I will say I think the fuselage is a little lightly built, and those cut-out lite ply plates have zero compressive strength. I knocked the wing off one with a cartwheel (darn prop stopped vertical again... [:@]) but damage was minor and I had it epoxied together for the next day.

All that said, it's not really all that interesting to fly except for people going "ooh ahh" as you rip it back and forth across the field. After 30 or so flights on my current R I'm wanting better flight performance. When it expires the West .50 is going on a Q500 ARF or similar - something that turns..

MJD