RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Stiletto (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8697030-stiletto.html)

freakingfast 04-19-2009 08:41 PM

Stiletto

1 Attachment(s)
Ready to load the guts. Carbon and glass reinforced throughout. No cooling scoop on bottom, small streamlined canopy. Black on bottom, the florescent purple and yellow don't come out well on camera. This plane I can see and it won't get confused with other planes by the turn marshals.:D

combatpigg 04-19-2009 11:57 PM

RE: Stiletto

Hey! That photo burned a hole in my picture tube! [>:]!!

How fass that m@f@ will go?

freakingfast 04-22-2009 01:03 AM

I think it'll go at least 140. OS 70 heli with tuned pipe on 30% turning a APC 11X8 @ 16K.

BiggerDanno 04-22-2009 08:44 AM

Pitch speed @ 16k with 8" pitch = 121 mph.

lfinney 04-22-2009 10:04 AM

i bet this combo will gain at least 2 k rpm in air, dying to see flight and report

combatpigg 04-22-2009 07:21 PM

FF, Is this plane the one you were talking about building to run against the YS 4 strokers?

freakingfast 04-22-2009 10:23 PM

Yes, in the Rockwell trim (stock P-51) it would creep away from the stock YS 110S when they were fed 20/20. The gold class, tweaked, god knows the nitro content,..... well that may be another story.

I looked at pitch speed too Danno. It seems to be well exceeding it. The “Speedboy” phenomenon is back;). The 11X8 @ 16K is much faster than the 10X9 @ 16.3K go figure.

I was all done and ready to fly all I had to do is check the C.G. It was 3/8” off , nose heavy.

So I moved the battery from the LE of the wing and strapped it to the top of the wing at the TE just over the servos. Still a tad nose heavy.
Apparently my mods to the tail feathers and fuselage made it lighter aft.

If Your not restricted by race rules run one of these in your WM Mustang,
Phoenix Strega or VQ Dago Red:
http://www.webra-austria.at/motor.ph...der=AERO〈=EN

Dang! That would be quick! The tuned pipe would be half as big around as the fuselage LOL :)

combatpigg 04-23-2009 09:52 AM

Of the mass produced engines, they make 'em with the highest power to weight ratios. Years ago a major magazine published a Top 20 type list and Webra hogged several spots on it. I think they also explored idle to top end extremes and came up with a ratio system to rank engines that way. If my OS .32 ever wears out, I'd be interested in the Webra .36...same goes for my 20 year old Webra .50, if it ever wears out I'd be interested in picking up that .55. Gotta stop using castor in these things.
If I had that Webra 1.20, I'd build another Goldberg Bipe. It was marginally awesome with a pumped 1.20 4 stroke, it would be totally awesome with the 2 stroke 1.20 and use 0% nitro instead of the 15%-30% that the [low compression] 4 strokers guzzle. I wonder how smooth one of those 1.20s runs at or above the factory red line? That was usually something Clarence Lee discussed if he was doing a large 2 stroke review.

freakingfast 04-24-2009 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
It was marginally awesome with a pumped 1.20 4 stroke, it would be totally awesome with the 2 stroke 1.20 and use 0% nitro instead of the 15%-30% that the [low compression] 4 strokers guzzle.
The only 4 stroke I’d even consider having again is a newer YS. Power to weight and fuel efficiency they are at the top but it comes with a cost with a more complex fuel system and potential problems. I had two Saito 82GK’s well, I was not impressed and couldn’t wait to sell them to a Saito lover.

The Webra is a powerful but lightly built engine (thin case walls, small crank pin, thin wall in crankshaft, thin conrod) and will last a long time as long as it is not run lean, fed too much bang or earth. Like you said CP, no nitro is a big advantage in operating cost (fuel & bearings), don’t forget the extended flight time too.

freakingfast 04-24-2009 11:16 PM

I flew it on Thursday and it flies very nice and light, only a few click off trim. CG is perfect.
Had the wrong glow plug in the engine and that was quickly rectified. The first flight was short and ended in a dead stick but nice landing, floated in.
Second and last flight was 8 minutes at WOT and made a nice engine on landing.

I need to add some 2" wide black stripes near the wing tips. That yellow is undefined at distance and speed, its just a blur, too easy to over rotate for a turn.

combatpigg 04-24-2009 11:51 PM

Hmmm, I saw a Saito [.72?] in a U-CAN-DO 3D pattern plane ARF lookin' thing and it was impressive to see that thing hang in the air, purring away, but then I had been drinking heavily at the time.
Glad to hear your Stang....ooops Stilletto....is on track for this Summer. I'm with you about 4 strokers in general, I think they are great for flubbing around but don't make sense for speed in a small package. Is it true they're beginning to show up in chainsaws now? OINK!!
Get as much [mind numbing] pylon practice laps in as you can and get ready to blow the wings off those YS powered richboy toys. ;)

freakingfast 04-25-2009 01:32 AM

The cost is actually the same when you add in the header and tuned pipe.[&o]

Your right, I need to spend some pylon time.

I found a trick the last time I raced. Don't mill about waiting for the race to start, just start doing the course as fast as you can and get your rhythm going but you may need to go wide on a lap or turn so you don't jump the start. This does two things, gets you warmed up and messes with the start timing of some of the other pilots. The other guys may not have the fuel for this but I do and then some.

freakingfast 04-27-2009 12:09 AM

Well it was a lot of good news, bad news, good news.
First off, the mods didn’t seem to make that much difference so I won’t be going that route again, just not worth the effort for a plane that can die so quickly. I got positive comments on the colors. The black stripe helped.

Now for the shocker: On the day before the race, fourth flight for the plane I had just completed a good practice round and everything performed great so I decided it’s time to land. The landing was perfect just like the others before. The plane was almost rolling to a stop in front of me when THE WING FELL OFF! The two wing screws were totally gone so the only thing that had been holding the wing on were the positive Gs (Which is so totally unlike my normal fling style). No damage except for the tips of the prop as the engine was at idle when it happened, but now I had one prop left. I replaced the prop and remembered to put blue lock tight on the screws this time.

I flew another practice round and did a few victory rolls and went to land. I made a landing attempt but the plane didn’t want to come down normally so I went around figuring the cross wind was to blame.
As I did a left turn to come back to the runway I noticed I had to use a lot of aileron to turn it. Setting up for the landing it did it again but I pushed it down anyway. It all looked good until at about 5 feet it snapped inverted and went in breaking the tail section off and trashing the spinner.

Totally confused and POed, I packed it up and went home. It was at home when I discovered the left aileron under power was down almost a ¼”. The wing only had a small scratch at the tip. It wasn’t the wind I was fighting, it was that bad servo. That made me feel better, I was about to swear off bad cross wind landing warbirds.

The tail is back on strait but the canopy and engine cowling have road rash and I’m going to leave it. I missed this race… next time.

combatpigg 04-27-2009 12:22 AM

Pure evil. Bad, bad, bad. You're not the only one who has been betrayed by faulty equipment. There are so many ways to get bit.
The wing screw deal is strange to me, then the faulty servo, sounds fishy. I'm glad to hear it is fixable.....check the engine mounting with a good amount of muscle before you fly it again.

lfinney 04-27-2009 10:00 AM

you will fly it again, and by the way how was the speed? did it unload plenty in the air? was it a hitec servo that went bad?