Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 330L

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Extra 330L

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 04:35 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Extra 330L

All of the ribs are pretty much hollow in this wing.
I wonder if the force on the wing tube would have stressed the wing so that the ribs which hold the wing tube would have collapsed.

Maybe GP should consider using full ribs in the ones near the centre
Old 11-09-2002, 05:10 PM
justrfb
My Feedback: (2)

Default Sorry to hear...

Cody,
Sorry to hear about your bird...

If,... when I build this kit I was going to double up the ribs near the wing tube because I heard of another wing cracking and folding in a post about this kit. I think it takes a pretty hairy move to do it (not saying the kit shouldn't be able to take it) but there is an "Achilles heel" in every thing designed. The previous post has a great suggestion... Don't pop out the lightening hole wood in the ribs by the wing tube, in fact maybe we should glue them in permanently. Ribs R1 thru R6 should stay solid except for the tube and wire holes. I think this is a great idea by lennyk!! What do you think? If we glue the wood there to make them solid ribs, the weight gain is nill and then I guess you would not even have to double up on the ribs. I am going to do it this way. Anyone else...

Justrfb (checking all my options)
Old 11-09-2002, 05:11 PM
Cody-RCU

I don't think that the GP Extra will be the next kit. An Aeroworks 31 % Extra 300L is on the way. The plane was completeley smushed. It had some weird characteristics in low-speed knife-edge, however. The plane could pivot up to vertical in about a 10 foot box with a little power applied, but it ran out of up-elevator on low rate to counter the belly-in characteristic. I think that small elevator got blanked out by the enormous fuselage.

As far as averting someone else to my fate, this is not an isolated incident. I've heard about two other such cases.
BTW, Dale, is that a GP 60 size Extra in your avatar? I've got one of those. Won my first IMAC with it. Nice flyin plane.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:27 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Cody, that's the .40 GPExtra, w/.91 4-stroke for power. I lost the first one due to the stab folding. Matter of fact, that one in the avatar is the first one. I cloned it exactly, with exception to the rear stab build. C/F was used extensively with flying wires. Yes, GREAT flying plane for a smaller bird. Interestingly enough, a guy in my club has the .60 version, and with exception to the fusalage sides, and few other slight variations the .40 and .60 are very close in appearance, and surprisingly in size as well. You have to look very closely when they sit 20ft apart to tell that they aren't the same plane. That plane has taught me a ton...and hopefully will continue to do so...very cool plane, and one of my favorites, thanks for asking.

Now...Cody,,,Aeroworks300L huh....now your talking...Sounds real nice man. I wish you the best with it, and do hope to see your inputs and reviews on it. Congratulations.

I'm pretty hooked on these EXTRA's, and have this need(you all know that need, right?), and appreciate all the comments in this thread..

I hope RCPete's doing good with his 330. ...how are you doing with your 330 Pete?

Here's a quick pic of that GP Extra.40...,,,this is the second one here, you might see the flying wires that I added...there's a big thread on these around here somewhere...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	34605_105.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	21559  
Old 11-13-2002, 03:18 PM
EdwardB
My Feedback: (6)

Tim – Thanks for your response about my GP Extra 330 project. Your comments and input are helpful and appreciated.

Cody – Certainly sorry about your loss. I’ve been watching this thread to see what other responses might come in, and surprised to not see anything. Usually when word of airplanes having major structural failures shows up there is all kinds of activity. Either your experience was somewhat unusual, or maybe there just aren’t that many of this model out there. Did you get any response from GP or AnnMarie Cross? If I could ask, how would you rate the spars and wing sheeting on your kit? Generally, the wood in my kit is pretty good. But some of the sheeting is pretty soft. I always make sure this type of wood is either replaced, or put into non-structural areas. Personally, I’m not sure the suggestions by some to keep the ribs solid would help. I believe the wing spar and sheeting are carrying the majority of the load. The ribs are only there mainly to hold the airfoil shape.

My build is progressing well, having only been at it for a couple of weeks. I deviated from the suggested build order and started with the fuse. I have the internal frame about done, and will start on the wings and tail feathers next. Once they’re done and mounted, I’m going to complete all the interior wiring and rigging before adding the fuse external shell.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:20 AM
DGrant

Default RE: Great Planes Extra 330L

OK.... so here's an old thread I ran across and dug up while looking for something else... and I had posted in this thread 8yrs ago that I wanted this Extra330... and..

8yrs later... I've finally got the kit.. a few weeks ago I found one NIB... and jumped on it. It won't be started probably until at least after the holidays....

but.... is anybody still flying theres?
Old 09-18-2010, 11:00 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Yep,

Still flying mine. I have worn out the original engine and now am flying mine with a DLE-111. This plane keeps amazing me with it's great flying characteristics. The only other Extra that comes close is my CompARF Extra.

Bliksem

Name:	Hf97868.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1503204  
Old 09-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

I sold mine a few years ago and I regret selling it to this day.....

Roger
Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 AM
DGrant

Bliksem, nice plane. That gives me an idea of the size of this bird. I'm contemplating an 80cc or so single cyl. for this one. I've been looking at the DA85, and also the ZDZ80..theres a few versions of that...one thats no longer produced I believe.

I've got time.. no hurry. My last big build was in 2002(anything of substantial size and labor anyways).. it was the Midwest 27% Extra300S.. and I've still got that plane, as nice as it was the first flight.. and it's probably got 100 flights or more...so it was a total success.. and I'm anticipating this 330 greatly.. its just about getting my ducks in a row..meaning gathering components.... setting aside a good block of time where I don't have alot going on project-wise.. and getting it built.. It took me about a year to get it all together for the last one.. then the build really is cake...and I can concentrate on producing the plane... and hopefully I'll have a nice big Extra when I'm done.

Roger...that must have been a tough decision to sell one of these.. I can't say I wouldn't sell one of my favorite planes.. but it would take ALOT of money to get one.. I know that.. probably more then anyone would be willing to pay.. so.. I do hope they made it worth your while... and took good care of it.... these kits come around every so often though...

I haven't really found any current company carrying anything remotely like it though... given size, that its a kit, and its just got to be a dream to fly... and I would even wonder if there's any ARF's that would come close to these in performance... I know my Midwest flies like no other plane I've ever flown... and that right there was the big reward for all the work... as I'm sure every builder that's built one of these is a very worthy craftsman.. its not just anyone that takes on these kinds of projects.... so hats off to those that bit the balsa...

This will be my biggest yet...and I'm defintately getting pumped for the challenge... thanks for the response.... there's got to be some more still out there flying though... its just too nice of a plane...

Anyone else??
Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 AM
blikseme300

dgrant,

I hope your kit wood is light as mine was so-so. I replaced the wood used to sheet the stab/elevator and fin/rudder as well as the turtle deck sheeting with lighter wood as I was concerned about ending up tail heavy - and I was using a 3W70B2 twin. Currently I am running a DLE-111 and I have 2 JR 8411's on the elevators and pull-pull to the rudder with the servo below the canopy. 2 A123 packs are close to the rear of the canopy.

This plane is easy to build, but takes a long time to do right. I actually have a second kit in my attic, just in case. (It is NOT for sale!)

As indicated in earlier posts the weakness of this plane is the wing. What I did was to wrap kevlar tow around the spars & tube before I sheeted the wing. I typically do not do violent snaps, but even though I have a few hundred flights, IMAC & F3A pattern with this plane, it is still intact.

Bliksem

Old 09-19-2010, 02:06 PM
DGrant

Good info Bliksem... I'm taking mental notes of that. I've read that the rib areas around the spar-tube are in need of some reinforcement.

I've also got a line on a second kit, that if it materializes, I will pick that one up as well... I actually have been working on that one since I heard about it 6 months ago.. but then I found the one I now have, and totally jumped on it... but if I found another one.. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

I used c/f of different varieties on my 27%Extra.. and used what at the time was the lightest 50cc engine I could.. BME.. and got the weight down to 15lbs... which isnt bad for an 80"/50cc plane.. and its so noticable in flight... its literally the easiest plane to fly out of all my aerobats... I call it a big Cadillac.. I have no doubt the 33% will deliver every bit of that.. and more.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 PM
mstngjared

I have one that is still flying, since 2007. Powered by a ZDZ 80, 23.5 lbs. It flies every maneuver I am able to do. The only thing it is a little week on are upright harriers. There is some wing rock at lower angles of attack. One of the most impressive maneuvers it does is a knife edge spin with the smoke on. Very axial around a wing tip.

I currently building a second one and putting it on a serious diet. There will be several design modifications including moving the hing lines forward for larger control surfaces, full length hatch all the way to the cowl, and two piece cowl. My final weight goal ready to fly is 17 - 18 lbs. The problem with both of the kits I have had is wood is way to heavy. I am going to replace most of it with contest grade balsa. So far I have built the left stabilizer/elevator which came out to 6 oz ready to cover. We will see; I still need to finish the weight budget but I will be going with the lightest components as possible.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 AM
DGrant

pics pics!! I'm not able to start on mine for a while... I've been looking(not too seriously yet but..) for a ZDZ80. I do remember back in the day this was the engine of choice for this plane, although I do like just the thoght of a 100cc twin, I'm sure the ZDZ is the better choice just for sheer weight purpose. Nice to see someone's still building this plane.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:46 AM
ken graham
My Feedback: (10)

mine is acouple of years old but flies great. the engine is a bme 110. you need to watch the throttle at all times. also with the light engine i needed to put all the batts up front just behind the firewall
Old 06-18-2011, 12:05 PM
AIVIA
My Feedback: (5)

If anyone is looking for a kit, NIB:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=756802
Old 12-05-2011, 09:05 AM
OldScaleGuy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fella's. I had one of these kits but unemployment forced me to sell it. Now that i am back to my old job again i have found another kit and expect it to arrive this week. Needless to say i am happy i was able to find one. I plan on using a Zenoah GT-80 for power. Is there any further information on the best way to strengthen the wing? Or any other tips, other than using lighter wood?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:19 AM
blikseme300

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

Fella's. I had one of these kits but unemployment forced me to sell it. Now that i am back to my old job again i have found another kit and expect it to arrive this week. Needless to say i am happy i was able to find one. I plan on using a Zenoah GT-80 for power. Is there any further information on the best way to strengthen the wing? Or any other tips, other than using lighter wood?
Glad you got another kit. I was lucky to get another kit in mint condition recently. These do become available from time to time. My original is still doing strong after many years and 3 different engines.

I used a GT-80 initially but it was a little anemic and did not perform well enough to do the aircraft justice. I now have a DLE-111 and the plane is a pleasure to fly. I don't do 3D, only IMAC-style flying.

I wrapped a coil of kevlar tow around the spar & tube socket combination in the first 2 bays before sheeting. I had heard about the wing failures and this method was easy to do. I used laminating epoxy during the installation of the tube socket.

Yes, some lighter wood will help in keeping it light. I can't remember from who I got the contest grade balsa but I weighed the planks supplied in the kit and the equal amount of contest grade planks and the weight difference was just more than 2lbs.

Bliksem
Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 AM
OldScaleGuy

Bliksem, would you by chance have a picture of your kevlar tow addition? If not it should be clearer what you did once i get a chance to review the plans again. I already have a GT-80 that is the reason i was heading that direction. Will have to give that some more thought now. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:27 PM
DGrant

Bliksem, would you by chance have a picture of your kevlar tow addition? If not it should be clearer what you did once i get a chance to review the plans again. I already have a GT-80 that is the reason i was heading that direction. Will have to give that some more thought now. Thanks for the information.
Are you going to do a build thread? I haven't started mine yet.. its in an ongoing process with many other planes of gathering components for.. but I already have several needed things. I'm actually keeping an eye out for the ZDZ-80 if one comes up at a "stealy" price.. I almost bought one not too long ago.. I still kick myself for not. So anyways.. hope to see a build thread or pics/updates.. keep the thread going.. I mean its over 9yrs old... don't stop it yet.. we have to see more of these Extras.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:19 PM
blikseme300

I will quite soon start building my second 330L. I have 2 kits on the shelf and can't wait to clear my building area. Currently I am doing an Midwest G-202 and should have it done in the next 2 weeks or so. DLE-30 for power, should be a winner.

Power will be a DLE-111 and guidance will be Futaba 12Z with various Futaba and JR servos.

The kit builds very easily, if you have a few kits under the belt, and does not take too long to get ready for covering. The trickiest part was cutting the openings for the wings in the fuselage and making it look good. The small clearance between the wing roots and the fuselage bothered me at first, but if done well looks good. My first kit was ready for covering after about 3 weeks of spending 3-4 hours each evening after work.

Bliksem
Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 PM
DGrant

I ran across another kit after I'd just bought mine.. kind of wish I would have bought that one too.. There can only be so many of these out there unbuilt at this point.

Midwest is another great kit, and the last giant I built was the Midwest 27%Extra.. I built that back in '02.. and at that time I had my sights set on the GP 33% for a next project, matter of fact I had one lined up to buy... at that point though life changed though.... haha(I laugh at it now.. haha).... I moved into an apartment, so space was reduced, although I had airplanes on every wall in every room.. my garage was less then half of what it was.. I never lost sight of the 33%Extra though, and over time, I've got another house and garage and much better life.. last year I finally found the GP's Extra and bought it... I just have to figure out when I can build it.. as I stated though... I acquire components over time.. and I don't even want to contemplate a start on it until I at least have the engine.. as that's the biggest part of the package price-wise.. all the other stuff is pretty much here.

I'd love to see some build threads from anyone taking on this project... I'm such a fan of the Extra's of any sort.. I've got several in different sizes..
Old 12-10-2011, 04:52 AM
OldScaleGuy

ORIGINAL: blikseme300

I will quite soon start building my second 330L. I have 2 kits on the shelf and can't wait to clear my building area. Currently I am doing an Midwest G-202 and should have it done in the next 2 weeks or so. DLE-30 for power, should be a winner.

Power will be a DLE-111 and guidance will be Futaba 12Z with various Futaba and JR servos.

The kit builds very easily, if you have a few kits under the belt, and does not take too long to get ready for covering. The trickiest part was cutting the openings for the wings in the fuselage and making it look good. The small clearance between the wing roots and the fuselage bothered me at first, but if done well looks good. My first kit was ready for covering after about 3 weeks of spending 3-4 hours each evening after work.

Bliksem
My kit has arrived. One box arrived Thursday and the other Friday. Makes me wonder about efficiencies of our carriers. That is another story for another time.

How about a multiple build thread? I will be starting on mine soon as well. Although i cannot devote 3-4 hours per day i will be behind Bliksem. Besides that i am slow builder. As i tell my wife, "i am not very good but i sure am slow". Should be fun though and that is what it is all about.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:31 AM
OldScaleGuy

Starting digging in to the kit yesterday and doing some more work on the already started stabs and elevators. The only real change there was adding a second 1/8 ply plate for the elevator control horns. The one skimpy almost lite ply looking plate did not look robust enough. This kit only has one wing tube sleeve. I suppose i am stuck with buying another one from TnT. Also, is the kit suppose contain basic hardware? There is absolutely no hardware in the kit box.

Name:	Kg15201.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1702072  
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2011, 06:19 AM
blikseme300

Starting digging in to the kit yesterday and doing some more work on the already started stabs and elevators. The only real change there was adding a second 1/8 ply plate for the elevator control horns. The one skimpy almost lite ply looking plate did not look robust enough. This kit only has one wing tube sleeve. I suppose i am stuck with buying another one from TnT. Also, is the kit suppose contain basic hardware? There is absolutely no hardware in the kit box.
Are you missing the stab tube & sleeve? I might have one as I was gifted a kit that was minus the cowl and canopy some time ago.

What I had done for the control horn mounts was to cut a plate that went all the way between the 2 ribs. I think I used 1/8" aircraft ply.

Bliksem
Old 12-19-2011, 06:26 AM
OldScaleGuy

It is a wing tube sleeve that is missing, I have the wing tube and one sleeve. The stab tubes and sleeves are included. I like your idea to tie the elevator control horn plate, i will revise mine. I did find what little hardware comes with it under another piece of cardboard with some additional die cut sheets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.