Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:18 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

Try growing some weed on your private property and see what happens.

Beave

ORIGINAL: check6ii

How will this possibly affect those of us with sufficient private property that operate turbines from?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

How long after the NPRM does the regulations take affect?
Has the FAA ever listened to any group and made changes when they issue a NPRM, or are the hearings just a formality?
I would think that, under the current circumstances, most jet modelers would think long and hard before buying a new plane and/or engine.
I know I'm putting off the purchase of a new model and engine until I find out where we stand.
When AMA, who has inside information, says the new rules will be "highly restrictive", not only jets but the whole hobby, I take them at their word.
Sounds like an end of the hobby, and not just jets, as we've known it.
Jon
Old 11-10-2010, 12:41 AM
rcfalcon56

And this is being done in the name of what? Homeland Security? Airspace management? It sounds more like someone has a bee in their bonnet and wants to kill the hobby off because they don't like it or the big UAV bubbas don't want to have to pony up in order to fly in regular airspace. Most model pilots don't fly for long distances or very high altitudes. There are some exceptions, but all things considered, the RC community is a very small drop in the bucket. Considering the number of years model aircraft of all types have been flying with little interaction with full scale, this smacks of Orwellianism at its finest.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait a minute....

Did Paul Pignieri go to work in a high-level position for the FAA?!?!? [>:]
Old 11-10-2010, 01:31 AM
STKNRUD

I wonder what there thinking was as it concerns RC turbine helios? In fact, it they limit speed and altitude, what does it matter if it is a jet or a rubber-band powered anything?

Old 11-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I just got a little bummed out, I looked at the AMA site which says they have over 150,000 members.... in my mind I always thought there was a lot more of us out there

Taking into accout there is 307,000,000 people in the USA, I wonder if they will pay any attention to us at all []

this has me a bit stressed out tonight, this is what I do, my passion I couldn't imagine life without it.... I know I'm jumping the gun here but this does sound a bit scary
Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 AM
TimBle

does this answer the question "Why does the AMA have to grow?" the comprimise i see looming is restriction on size of rc models, flight duration capability and licensing of rc pilots. The road ahead is rocky but if you're smart it can work out to your benefit.As i said in that thread, your FAA owns all airspace. They can restrict flying to whatever they consider to be of national interest.What i see is the uav crowd trying to be defined with the rc crowd. Clever, so your ama better start coming up with definitions for an rc plane that sets it apart significantly from a uav. Then theres impact on the economy of a state or county etcetc. You guys need to get organised.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:56 AM
telejojo

I don't think swat teams and air force jets are going to swoop down on someone flying on their property out in the county away from houses etc. but who knows with the bunch that's in control now,they want to tell you what you can do about your own health care,(if your too old you won't get any) if you own guns they want to tax each of them after you paid tax on them when you bought them.so it would not suprise me any thing the idiot's in office does.Until we vote them out not anythings safe even model airplanes and other hobbys.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 AM
MTIPilot
My Feedback: (121)

This administration has gone above and beyond ANY administrationin this countryto grow government. The notion that the size of government can't be controlled is inaccurate.Tell that to members of the Reagan administration who did many things to REDUCE government.

Furthermore, if we we were to just surrender to the thought that governmental restrictions can't be controlled, blogs like this would be useless and I don't believe that. I'm also an EAA member and that organization along with other aviation groups have done many things to protect our freedoms. The AMA and other model aviation groups need to step up now to protect what we have.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, look at all the gossip growing already!

R/c aircraft will not be limited to 100 mph and turbine-less. There are too many businesses that would be destroyed by a ruling like that. Not to mention all the 10k to 25k jets that would be turned into display models/hangar queens or need to be sold to overseas customers.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Anyone been reading that "Wow the used jet market sucks to be selling right now!!!" thread? If this FAA intrusion comes to pass, that thread won't even be half right. And to think I thought Europe and other "foreign" countries had onerous governemental regs and micromanagement...silly me!

Hell, in the last few years this country's been looking 'foreign' to me.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

The FAA always has a way out and there way out is the careless and reckless clause in the FAR's this is interpreted differently by all and they do that on purpose its clear as mud.
The AC's can be used as a standard for careless and reckless flying. However I don't think they have used in on non certified aircraft. In the past they had to write regulations for model rocketry, hang gliders, and ultralights because they could not enforce AC's on those. That is why this is so important, it may result in regulation which will be too restrictive.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Sport_Pilot

If you read the Federal Aviation Act and its revisions you will find that the FAA regulates the airspace to the lower limits of its recommended minimum altitude. So it cannot regulate people flying low on their on property (500 feet inrural areas and 1000 feetin populated areas)even for full scale aircraft. So it may have a problem if it restricts models to 400 feet in all areas. The catch here is that helicopters can fly as low as deemed safe in all areas.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bevar

Try growing some weed on your private property and see what happens.

Beave

ORIGINAL: check6ii

How will this possibly affect those of us with sufficient private property that operate turbines from?
Cough ,,cough,, Say who in the what now
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

there is too much reading in between the lines here ... The way i see and understand it, the suggestion is made to limit turbine, over 400' and over 100mph operations of RC aircraft operating outside of the organization in place such as the AMA .... face it, more and more people are flying planes and helis without AMA with all the fiamies and small electrics, and they will continue to .. it would be a good thing if many of them did not go over 100, over 400, or run on turbine power unless they were doing it under some sort of "organizational" guidelines ..

~V~
Old 11-10-2010, 09:05 AM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Gosh...this is in such contrast to the "proposed changes" the AMA is making for "Experimental Aircraft" I recieved in an e-mail from the Frank Tiano camp yesterday. IF the AMA felt all this FAA stuff were leading us to an end of some kind...why are they up'ing the weight limits on prop and turbine aircraft and eliminating the term "Experimental"? Sounds to me that the AMA is being pro-active in their management of our community, membership and hobby.

I do think this though...anyone that operates a turbine aircraft NEEDS to join the JPO today simply to be accounted for and have a conduit for "good and reliable" info. Why someone would fly turbines and NOT be a part of this organization bewilders me. In our area, Craig Gottschang works his butt off to keep us informed and on top of issues and events.

Rex

Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

R/c aircraft will not be limited to 100 mph and turbine-less. There are too many businesses that would be destroyed by a ruling like that. Not to mention all the 10k to 25k jets that would be turned into display models/hangar queens or need to be sold to overseas customers.

25K Display models and R/C Buisnesses mean nothing to these people !!! Hell..., Therse are the same people that are RIGHT NOW spending 200M a day on a little ole outting to India !!!! If they shut us down they should cash us out !! That makes about as much sense as every thing else they have been doing !!! When does it all stop???? This whole place has lost it's freak'in mind !!!!!

Danno
Old 11-10-2010, 09:20 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: rbxbear44
I do think this though...anyone that operates a turbine aircraft NEEDS to join the JPO today simply to be accounted for and have a conduit for ''good and reliable'' info. Why someone would fly turbines and NOT be a part of this organization bewilders me.

Rex
I just joined...thanks, Rex!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

25K Display models and R/C Buisnesses mean nothing to these people !!! Hell..., Therse are the same people that are RIGHT NOW spending 200M a day on a little ole outting to India !!!! If they shut us down they should cash us out !! That makes about as much sense as every thing else they have been doing !!! When does it all stop???? This whole place has lost it's freak'in mind !!!!!

Danno
Just because you here Glen Beck and Fox News report something doesn't mean its true. The Pentagon already said this story is all BS.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Just more "Hope and Change" heading our way...

ORIGINAL: Black Cloud

And this is being done in the name of what? Homeland Security? Airspace management? It sounds more like someone has a bee in their bonnet and wants to kill the hobby off because they don't like it or the big UAV bubbas don't want to have to pony up in order to fly in regular airspace. Most model pilots don't fly for long distances or very high altitudes. There are some exceptions, but all things considered, the RC community is a very small drop in the bucket. Considering the number of years model aircraft of all types have been flying with little interaction with full scale, this smacks of Orwellianism at its finest.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbxbear44

Gosh...this is in such contrast to the ''proposed changes'' the AMA is making for ''Experimental Aircraft'' I recieved in an e-mail from the Frank Tiano camp yesterday. IF the AMA felt all this FAA stuff were leading us to an end of some kind...why are they up'ing the weight limits on prop and turbine aircraft and eliminating the term ''Experimental''? Sounds to me that the AMA is being pro-active in their management of our community, membership and hobby.

I do think this though...anyone that operates a turbine aircraft NEEDS to join the JPO today simply to be accounted for and have a conduit for ''good and reliable'' info. Why someone would fly turbines and NOT be a part of this organization bewilders me. In our area, Craig Gottschang works his butt off to keep us informed and on top of issues and events.

Rex

Rex,

Dave Mathewson attended the IMAA flying in Bealton, VA in September and spoke directly to that issue when he talked with the pilots. He said that the feeling was, they should increase the weight limits now, because after this regulatory process takes place and the limits are incorporated into it, it will be that much more difficult to change it then. He said at that point, the Safety Committee and EC had approved the changes and they were working with the insurance folks to make sure that it was a workable change on that front. I do not know what the status is now, perhaps Frank Tiano's email provided more details on the status of the change?

Dave also echoed some of the statements that Keith made with regards to the FAA keeping their cards close and them (the AMA) being somewhat unsure what the final results will be when the NPRM comes out. I have no idea what prompted the article that Jim mentioned from Rich Hanson (I did not get that email - anyone have a link to the article?). Perhaps they have gained some new insight into what the FAA is proposing for the NPRM.

Bob
Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 AM
STKNRUD

I am told there are about 1,500 active operators of turbine RC jets in the US. That is an ant on the ass of an elephant even for the 350,000 AMA members. To the FAA and Congress...you figure it out.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:56 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Bob,
Here's the article:

For the past three years the AMA has been involved in the rulemaking process aimed at establishing regulations for all unmanned aircraft systems, and we have worked directly with the FAA in an effort to ensure these regulations will not have a detrimental impact on the aeromodeling community. The FAA intends to present the proposed rule for public comment in a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NMPR) in June 2011, and it has become increasingly apparent that the proposed rule will be highly restrictive and will have a significant impact on the modeling community as a whole. It’s time for all of us to understand these proposed changes, familiarize ourselves with the regulatory process, and to prepare an appropriate response to the proposed regulations. Click the link below for background.

– Rich Hanson, AMA Government Relations and Regulatory Affairs Representative

Follow the AMA activity and the sUAS rulemaking process on twitter at: http://twitter.com/AMAGov

Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

For one thing let's keep full scale and R/C APART!, FORGET THE RC DEMOS AT AN ACTIVE FULL SCALE FIELD
Old 11-10-2010, 10:41 AM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Anyone been reading that ''Wow the used jet market sucks to be selling right now!!!'' thread? If this FAA intrusion comes to pass, that thread won't even be half right. And to think I thought Europe and other ''foreign'' countries had onerous governemental regs and micromanagement...silly me!

Hell, in the last few years this country's been looking 'foreign' to me.
I feel the same way. Soon the only thing we will be able to do is sit in front of the television and watch government approved programs only, because the government believes we are to stupid to think for ourselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.