Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

New Blade SR: collective pitch!

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

New Blade SR: collective pitch!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Blade SR: collective pitch!

ORIGINAL: clp.eng

I was wondering if you guys could tell me how much movement there is on the main blades on your sRs? I just had a problem with the boom being loose, so I went through the whole heli looking for other loose screws (and I found a couple). When I went to pick up the heli by one of the main blades, I noticed it moved a few degrees up & down. My plastic head 450 barely flexes.

So I'm wondering if something is wrong or this is a "feature" on the sR!

Let me know how much yours moves. Thanks.

Chuck

It is a normal "Feature" of the SR.. the blades will move to almost touch the boom.. I had the same and went back to the hobby store, and he showed me two others new in boxes that were the same.

PS.. My red SR canopy arrived yesterday.. Much easier to see!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:08 PM
d.k.v

what hobby store you go to rob?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Rob2160

I visit them all fairly regularly..

MAS Hobbies - Excellent
Stanbridges - Great
Perth Hobbbies - Great
SIK Hobbies, - Great
Perth RC - Excellent
Takeoff and Land - Great but he is hardly ever open
Perth Discount Hobbies - also great...

Old 11-13-2010, 11:17 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks, guys! One less thing to blame my bad flying on! lol

My stock canopy is in bad shape, so I'm looking for a new one. I'll remember that the red is easier to see. I wonder if any other brand of canopy would fit. The stock ones seem a bit expensive.

Chuck
Old 11-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Callouscade
My Feedback: (6)

The Blade SR will do aerobatics, if you bind it to a DX6i etc. The stock TX doesn't let you fly inverted, DON'T TRY IT that cost me 50$ repairs. Also, the faster your head speed, the more crsip the responses are. The stock transmitter is GREATto learn on, then a DX6i like i have, it turns into a great heli! Servos dont center great, but i would recommend this to anyone!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Callouscade

The Blade SR will do aerobatics, if you bind it to a DX6i etc. The stock TX doesn't let you fly inverted, DON'T TRY IT that cost me 50$ repairs. Also, the faster your head speed, the more crsip the responses are. The stock transmitter is GREATto learn on, then a DX6i like i have, it turns into a great heli! Servos dont center great, but i would recommend this to anyone!
I swapped out the servos for Hitech HS65 MGs and it has improved control response greatly.. I don't trust e-flite servos...

Here's why..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgoztDiEZ7k[/youtube]
Old 11-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Jammin311

ORIGINAL: clp.eng

jammin - I will try to help, though I'm no expert (except at crashing!).

Lucky you with all that room! I practice out in front between a tree & the house & the 2 driveways (200 sq ft). LOL

1. Are you in idle up when you are high & can't get it down or "normal"?
If you're in normal, you have to fly the heli down or cut the power as you descibe. If you change to idle up then it is easier to get it down because you just lower the pitch & the heli "flies" down.

2. Again if you're in normal going from FF to hover it will change altitude but 20' seems excessive. Is there a lot of wind? Again, in idle up this shouldn't happen or at least not be as bad.

3. If you're flying in idle up, the pitch curve is what you want to look at. If not, then the throttle curve becomes more important

4. After crash damage - check the blade tracking. Setup after a crash is very important & are you SURE you found everything that broke? e.g. the feathering shaft, bent linkage, a cracked head piece you may have not noticed, etc.

I hope this helps. If not let me know & I'll try to give you more. We can really "talk" if we need to! I am very lucky to have a local expert who has helped me & I can pick his brain if needed!

Chuck
Just wanted to get back to you I know its been awhile but I have been busy and there has been to much wind to fly lately. I just wanted to thank you for your advise it helped alot Ive started to fly in Idle up mode and it has made a world of differnents. You were right it makes it alot easyer to bring it down and it dose not shoot up in the air as much going from forword flight to hover. Now I need to either work on my mixes or get the belt mod to com that twitchy tail motor down and smooth out the flight.

James
Old 11-24-2010, 03:13 PM
clp.eng

jammin311 - glad I could help. You might need to tweak the gain on the gyro to quiet the tail. With the higher headspeed in idle up, the tail has to work a little harder.

Ya', it's windy & cold here so not much flying. Working on trying to get the sim more realistic & then I'm going to try to learn nose in flying the FP in the basement. Should be an interesting winter!

Chuck
Old 11-27-2010, 08:18 PM
millermax

I just got the blade sr.havent got it off the ground yet but it is bind and fly.I use my dx transmitter for all my helis.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:26 PM
d.k.v

did you get that second hand?

they never made a bnf
Old 11-27-2010, 11:46 PM
clp.eng

millermax - welcome. There have been several posts about parameters for the dx6i. Good luck & let us know what you think when you get it off the ground. +1 what d.k.v said!

dkv - This is what I do when it's too windy to fly... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-DfJKeLbk

Chuck
Old 01-02-2011, 12:38 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Callouscade

The Blade SR will do aerobatics, if you bind it to a DX6i etc. The stock TX doesn't let you fly inverted, DON'T TRY IT that cost me 50$ repairs. Also, the faster your head speed, the more crsip the responses are. The stock transmitter is GREAT to learn on, then a DX6i like i have, it turns into a great heli! Servos dont center great, but i would recommend this to anyone!
I swapped out the servos for Hitech HS65 MGs and it has improved control response greatly.. I don't trust e-flite servos...

Here's why..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgoztDiEZ7k[/youtube]
Holly crud that's nuts!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 PM
clp.eng

srt10 - thanks for sharing! I've heard of some folks having trouble with the servos but I haven't seen it. All brands go bad sooner or later, it's the nature of the beast!

HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody!

CHuck
Old 01-25-2011, 12:03 PM
PTC Bernie

OK, I just bought a new Blade SR, having gotten to the point with my coaxial where I get bored after a couple of minutes.

Am I expecting too much from this thing, or once I set the CG and Gyro sensitivity, should I be able to slowly increase the throttle until it slowly lifts off the ground?

Right now all it does isscoot off in random directions fast enough to tip over if I didn't have trainer gear under it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

B
Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
clp.eng

PTC Bernie - yes you might be expecting too much of yourself as there is quite a big difference between the CX & CP heli. You might want to review some of the vid courses on YouTube. A good sim is priceless for some people, too.

Good luck & welcome to the madness!

Chuck
Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 PM
PTC Bernie

Thanks for the QUICK reply Chuck.

OK, I'll look at the vids, I was trying to avoid just lifting off and going into transitional forwardflight.

I've never gotten much out of simulators, but then 3D never worked for me either. I guess I'm too simple.

Thanks again,

B

Old 01-25-2011, 01:07 PM
clp.eng

B - ya' I'm not big on sims either. Here are 2 links for vids

This is for indoors:
[link=http://www.mikeysrc.com/RC-Helicopters-Learn-To-Fly-Video-Series.html]MikeysRC[/link]

This is for outdoors
[link=http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/how-to-fly-rc-helicopters.html]RChelicopterfun[/link]

Patience is the key unless you have natural ability and/or a lot of time on video games! LOL

Chuck
Old 01-26-2011, 02:04 AM
Charlie

I've never gotten much out of simulators
Now there's something you don't hear to often.

Simulators are worth their weight in gold when it comes to flying helicopters, they can save you a lot of money.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:42 AM
PTC Bernie

ORIGINAL: Charlie

I've never gotten much out of simulators
Now there's something you don't hear to often.

Simulators are worth their weight in gold when it comes to flying helicopters, they can save you a lot of money.

Sorry to disagree, but for a lot of people the simulator just doesn't translate over into the real thing.Please don't go into why the airlines use simulatorsto train pilots, there's a world of difference between a multi million dollar full motion 727 simulator and Flight Simulator on a PC.I've "flown" both, and there's obviously no comparison.

I'll give you that asimhelps develop hand/eye coordination and get you comfortable with the interface, but once you're to a certin point you just can't mimic the real thing.

Again, just my less than humble opinion.

B
Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 AM
clp.eng

Charlie - what sim do you use? My problem with the sims I've tried is that they never feel like the real thing. I can hover my 450 in 3 orientations all day! I can even do some sloppy figure 8s on a good day. On my sim (FSOne V1) I can do flips but I can't hover side in for than a couple of seconds.

I briefly tried Phoenix using the Blade sR & it was TOO easy to fly - I was doing nose in, flips, etc. I used FMS early on & didn't have much luck with the helis but when I bought a J3 Cub it was just like flying in FMS! So it was good for planks.

It does help with hand eye coordination ("It's all about stick time!") & I'm told it's great to practice stick movements to learn new stunts.

Chuck
Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 AM
Charlie

I use the Reflex simulator. If you play with the settings you can get the helis to pretty much fly like your real one (it does take some time to get it right/close).

No question that it's not the same, you don't have the pucker factor (knees knocking), which makes a big difference, "BUT", I personally find
it a lot cheaper to learn a new stunt on a sim then on the real heli.

I learned to fly helis long before I ever owned a sim, but I was glad I did buy one, it helped me advance a lot.

You are right, there's nothing like stick time on the real thing, but up here in Canada (this time of year) where the freezing wind is blowing and snowing
we don't get a lot of stick time other then the sim (I can't speak for everyone but I don't).
Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 AM
clp.eng

charlie - that's quite a collection of helis you've got!

Chuck
Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Nice, thread. I am just getting back into Heli's from a brief 18 year hiatus. I started learning with a Cricket, until it went boom in mid air and destroyed itself. Wind caught the blades just right to put them into the boom, and pretty much blew it apart.

I recently picked up the SR RTF, and a mCX. I bound the mCX to the transmitter that the SR came with, and while good to start out with, the controls are too mushy for the mCX. I went and picked up the mSR and they had a deal on the DX6i if you buy a BNF, you get it for $125.  Huge difference between the 2 radios, the mCX can fly forward now at a decent clip and spins very quickly now.  Just learning the mSR now, and I may bid it to the SR radio to see if it slows down the movements a bit, its a hot little bird, and can get out of control in a heart beat.  Once I master that little one, I think I will be ready for the SR itself.  So far I have spun it up to check the controls and tracking and everything appears to be in good order. I will check pitch at mid point as suggested here.

Once I get the hang of the SR on the original TX, then I can transition to the DX6i.  Do anyone know if there will be a retro kit to replace the tail motor with direct drive?
Old 01-31-2011, 12:22 PM
clp.eng

acdii - where the heck is Capron? I'm in the western burbs from ChiTown.

Here is what HH says to do for the msR =
"Transmitter Preparation Addendum
If you’re using a computer transmitter, we suggest you select a clean model memory,
set the transmitter on ACRO or AIRPLANE mode, default servo settings, neutral trim
settings, bind and fly. Futaba transmitters (equipped with Spektrum modules) may
require you to reverse the throttle channel."

Are you using the short arms on the swashplate? I did this for a long while with the msR & then I used the long arms for awhile & then I put the hot parameters in theDX6i when I felt it was no long a challenge. It sounds like you're taking a reasonable approach to get back in to this madness! But be warned it will be a BIG step from the msR to the sR! Have some discretionary spending ready! LOL

The sR is a DD tail. I know there is a belt drive kit & a motor/pitch kit available. You might want to start the sR on the DX6i with "tame" settings. A lot of people found the stock Tx to be hard to fly, especially if they had some experince (like me).

Good luck & welcome.

Chuck
Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Hi, Go to Harvard and hang a left, its a blink town. If you blink, you may miss it. Im not sure how the SP is setup, its out of the box, only thing I had to do to it was reconnect the RR motor plug, it was loose, and boy does that bird spin when its loose. It was the first one I bound to my DX6i, which started out on airplane mode, until I figured out how to change it. Ihave no clue what all the terms for the radio settings are, such as expo. If I can adjust the sensitivity for the pitch and roll, (right stick) that would make it better for my indoor flights, small rooms equal lots of ceiling and wall hits.

Once I get the hang of this one, the SR will be a lot easier to handle, Hovering isnt too hard for me, its transitioning into forward flight that has me all out of wack still. Iget my left and right mixed up and wind up flying it sideways instead of a nice gentle turn.

BTW, my cats go nuts when I fly it in the house, they keep trying to chase it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.