Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

It has taken me 6 1/2 hrs but I read the entire thread up to this point tonight.

a1pcfixer's work has been placed as a quote in the first post (Jody's) of this thread for all to read.

Unfortunately, many newer links are missing from that info you copied, just one example being the manual.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:44 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: mschulz531
I don't know how you did that...I'm in the super saver club as well, at least until Feb 2011. When I added the DLE-20 to my cart and went to checkout, it still shows a price of $269.97...?

Put it in my cart, entered the promotional code for $50 off and checked out.
Not that I need another, nor that I'd want to order one from Tower Hobbies, I did want to check the discount codes in your original message. Current TH discount codes are nowhere near that good.

Holy smokes, it works!!! At least for Super Saver Club Members.

Unfortunately mine must have expired, because if you're NOT a SSCM you get this;

"Ad number 010BF is only valid for #1 Super Saver Club Members."

I promptly backed out.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:01 AM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jedijody

There have been several posts made by myself and WrongwayRC on the use of a single battery without the use of an IBEC some pages back. If you can't find what you're looking for feel free to ask away.
I've posted a wiring diagram as well. I talked with 42% about using a single A123 battery with diodes to step down the voltage and they suggested I put as large a capacitor as I can stand across the leads to "absorb" some of the RF that the ignition may put out. I found a stupidly huge 220,000 mf cap (as well as a 1 farad) but I went with a smaller 4700mf. Probably not necessary since the battery is a HUGE capacitor of sorts any way but I figured it couldn't hurt. I put it on a small perf board and hot-glued everything to the board to help with vibration. Seems to work just fine.

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer
Not that I need another, nor that I'd want to order one from Tower Hobbies, I did want to check the discount codes in your original message. Current TH discount codes are nowhere near that good.

Holy smokes, it works!!! At least for Super Saver Club Members.

Unfortunately mine must have expired, because if you're NOT a SSCM you get this;

''Ad number 010BF is only valid for #1 Super Saver Club Members.''

I promptly backed out.
Yessir it does work. I order from them often and usually pile up at last $150 worth of stuff to at least get free shipping and $25 off. My next purchase will be a DLE-30 which I will get from Tower for $259 with free shipping and a 2 year warranty. Hard to beat that. I was excited when they started carrying DLE products.

My local hobby shop was pissed when he asked why I didn't buy from him at $269 price. I asked if he matched prices and then told him what I paid for it. He said he was going to call his DLE dealer to complain!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:12 AM
desertdog

Sounds like a good plan, have a blast.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:39 AM
teamvortex
My Feedback: (6)

I've been following this for a bit and thanks to all for the info. I've flown my DLE20 in a Great Planes Curtiss Hawk P-6E long enough to report. IT'S GREAT !! Currently using an APC 16/8. Flies a bit too fast and needs better vertical. Next prop will be a Xoar 17/6 and that should fix it. The plane weighs just over 13 lbs and has enough drag for two or three regular planes.

The only issue so far is the really bad throttle response. I fear that the carb throat area is too big for a small 20cc. I'm also running a custom muffler and that may have something to do with it. RPM jumps to about 4000 almost as soon as the carb plate opens and has no increase worth mentioning after about 70% open. I'll be working on the throttle curve on my new Futaba 10C.

Does anyone out there have suggestions as to where to start? My goal will be a reasonably linear thrust curve with the 17/6.

Thanks for all the data,

Rich
TeamVortex Aviation
Florida
Old 12-15-2010, 07:12 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: teamvortex

I've been following this for a bit and thanks to all for the info. I've flown my DLE20 in a Great Planes Curtiss Hawk P-6E long enough to report. IT'S GREAT !! Currently using an APC 16/8. Flies a bit too fast and needs better vertical. Next prop will be a Xoar 17/6 and that should fix it. The plane weighs just over 13 lbs and has enough drag for two or three regular planes.

The only issue so far is the really bad throttle response. I fear that the carb throat area is too big for a small 20cc. I'm also running a custom muffler and that may have something to do with it. RPM jumps to about 4000 almost as soon as the carb plate opens and has no increase worth mentioning after about 70% open. I'll be working on the throttle curve on my new Futaba 10C.

Does anyone out there have suggestions as to where to start? My goal will be a reasonably linear thrust curve with the 17/6.

Thanks for all the data,

Rich
TeamVortex Aviation
Florida
I've tried a Vess 16x8 and found the throttle response to be real snappy and like others and you have noticed, the curve isn't linear. I next tried a Vess 17x6 and it made a huge difference in vertical but the throttle curve still isn't very linear.

Check the gallary, there was someone that posted a cool pic of their throttle geometry in a white profile that was reported to help a bunch with throttle response.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:34 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Simply, you want to spread the first 25% or so of the throttle arm travel, across about 50-60% (roughly) of your stick travel. Then try it and tweak from there as you like.

Thanks for all the data,

Rich
TeamVortex Aviation
Florida
Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

It has taken me 6 1/2 hrs but I read the entire thread up to this point tonight.

a1pcfixer's work has been placed as a quote in the first post (Jody's) of this thread for all to read.

Unfortunately, many newer links are missing from that info you copied, just one example being the manual.
I don't suppose you saved that info before you deleted the posts - but if you did, and it's not too much trouble, perhaps you could email or PM Jodi the info so he could include it in the 1st post? Just a thought...
Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All information to date including that which was initially lost has been put in the first post in this thread by JediJody
Old 12-15-2010, 08:52 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

All information to date including that which was initially lost has been put in the first post in this thread by JediJody

Many thanks to all who contributed to this effort!! Very much appreciated by me and many more, I'm sure!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:11 AM
alex_scratch_built

That is lightning quick reply master Jedi,

And answered with great wisdom for all of us to understand. The high council has chosen you for good reasons!

No kidding, that answer gives me good info thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 10:35 AM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

Thanks for all the data,

Rich
TeamVortex Aviation
Florida

Youcan gain some mechanical advantage on the throttle curve by setting up your linkage like the diagram below. Setting it up this way minimizes the movement on the throttle arm during the first part of the servo movement. I did mine this way, and also used about 50% expo on the throttle and it made the response much more linear.

I also included a pic of my DL-20 ride. Haven't maidened it yet, but hope to do so this weekend, weather permitting. It's a SBach 65 from The Balsa Store. 65" span, 1250sq in of area, weighs 8lbs 2oz. Should be about perfect for this engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10435.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1534500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23068.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	1534501  
Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 AM
a1pcfixer

Thanks for all the data,

Rich
TeamVortex Aviation
Florida
It's your lucky day....I have mine setup on a Futaba 10CAP too!
I'm using the included (fiber) throttle arm extension.

For a stating point only, here's my throttle curve.

Under the throttle curve screen, (left column [out]);
7>100.0
6>70.5
5>46.5
4>27.5
3>13.5
2>9.5
1>0.5

Depending on how your mechanical linkage is setup, this is what you'll get
{watch animated image attached}

[link=http://www.youtube.com/v/SZRdtZxxQP0?autoplay=1]YouTube link w/audio.....[/link]

Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

I don't suppose you saved that info before you deleted the posts - but if you did, and it's not too much trouble, perhaps you could email or PM Jodi the info so he could include it in the 1st post? Just a thought...
Since I'm the one who created and maintained that "recap" info I kept a master copy,
of which I forwarded to Jim/w8ye. In the wee early hours this morning, we got it all attached
to msg #1.

Updates will be edited to that one as needed.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Since I'm the one who created and maintained that ''recap'' info I kept a master copy,
of which I forwarded to Jim/w8ye. In the wee early hours this morning, we got it all attached
to msg #1.

Thanks, Jim! That's a very helpful resource you created - and one of the deciding factors in my purchase of a DLE20.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 PM
krop
My Feedback: (19)

a1pcfixer ,
I want to thank you for making the information you have compiled available
to all of us interested in this engine. You have performed a huge task and fulfilled
the requirements admirably! And, thanks for being willing to update it as necessary.
krop
Old 12-15-2010, 12:50 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: krop

a1pcfixer ,
I want to thank you for making the information you have compiled available
to all of us interested in this engine. You have performed a huge task and fulfilled
the requirements admirably! And, thanks for being willing to update it as necessary.
krop
Thank-you very much, to you and all whom have been supportive.

Now, due to such support, it's gonna take me a couple hours to clear out my inbox here![8D]
Old 12-15-2010, 01:01 PM
a1pcfixer

Thanks, Jim! That's a very helpful resource you created - and one of the deciding factors in my purchase of a DLE20.
Your welcome!

Btw; I'm open to; gratuity, bribery, blackmail, kickbacks, and remunerations {VVRC has a JBA-15G on sale that'd make a nice Christmas gift to me}[sm=72_72.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-15-2010, 01:55 PM
g_mkoch

What's the fuel consumption?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:09 PM
J-3

a1pcfixer - Many thanks for your diligence in recaping the engine data, I appreciate it.
I read all the pages because I didn't want to miss any important (to me anyway) info about the planes people were going to use.

Thanks to jedijody for your willingness to educate us.
Thanks again...Brian
Old 12-15-2010, 02:21 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: g_mkoch

What's the fuel consumption?

That will largelydepend on prop, RPM, and flying style but you should figure between 1/2 and 3/4 ounce per minute of flight for aerobatic planes, slightly more if you fly mostly at full throttle.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:25 PM
a1pcfixer

Until 11:59 [EST] tonight, J'tec is having it's final wild Wednesday sale with 20% off!
*Read the small print!*

Scroll about half way down this page [link=http://www.jtecrc.com/index.htm]J'tec muffler sale.....[/link]
for links specific to the DLE20cc mufflers they offer.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:09 PM
mesaflyer

Since I'm the one who created and maintained that ''recap'' info I kept a master copy,
to msg #1.

Thank you.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Bpar4
My Feedback: (1)

Just ordered an in-cowl for my DLE30 from JTEC. Good folks to deal with. Good price for the "Wild Wednesday". Thanks for the lead.

Bob
Old 12-16-2010, 04:17 PM
teamvortex
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for the input on throttle linearity "fixes".

A1PCFIXER, I'll try your curve next.

I'll be using the DLE20 in my next scale project, a Dynaflite Fly Baby (with a "few" mods).

Thanks to all,

Rich

TeamVortex Aviation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.