Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Early RC Models Debolt Champ build

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Early RC Models Debolt Champ build

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 AM
JT Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early RC Models Debolt Champ build

My Christmas gift to me was one of these. It arrived the day before Christmas, so perfect timing! The box was substantial corrigated cardboard with a nice photo on the top. Everything inside came out undamaged. All the wood appeared to be of very good quality and the windshield material was wrapped in tissue. The laser cutting of the parts was excellent and required little coaxing to 'fall' out. The instruction sheets had nice color photos included and it appears to be an easy build. I have included a photo after removing the parts and separated a few of the smaller parts into containers. I couldn't wait to get started on this build. The next photo shows a start on the fuse side. Then two sides glued together! With the firewall added it begins to look like a fuselage! I am not using the hardwood bearers that came for the engine, so I added another 1/8 inch of ply to the firewall to accomodate a plastic (Great Planes mount). Oh ya, I have a Saito .30 Gold anniversary engine to put up front. I can't keep my hands off this little jewell! Anyone want to see a photo? Let me know if you are interested in this seeing the rest of this build and I will continue. I can't promise how quick things will go as I have other affairs to attend to (like everyone else), but I hope to have it done and ready in a couple of months.

JT (Terry)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46148.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1543552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53229.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1543553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13516.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1543554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33883.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1543555  
Old 01-09-2011, 02:53 PM
JT Hammer

Default RE: Early RC Models Debolt Champ build

I havn't done much since my first post. However, I have installed blind nuts for the engine mount as you can see from the photo below. You will notice the engine will be somewhat lower than where it would have been atop the hardwood bearers (the marks show on the firewall). Another photo shows the inside of the fuselage behind the firewall. Besides doubling the thickness of the firewall, I added some fiberglass cloth to the bottom and edges inside the fuse. I have also added a balsa stick (about 1/4" x 3/8") at the top of the fuse in order to better support the balsa sheet when it is wrapped around the nose. The last photo shows the lovely little gold Saito .30 that will adorn the Champ (just hung on temporarily for the shot). Once I get the substantial nose blocks glued and carved on the front, it won't appear quite as large as it does in the photo here. Hopefully, I can get more of the building done this week.

JT (Terry)

Name:	He97124.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1544866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96772.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1544867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98479.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1544868  
Old 01-09-2011, 03:31 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good JT.

Bob Harris
Old 01-10-2011, 01:31 PM
JT Hammer

Thanks Bob. Got the nose blocks glued on this morning with 15 minute epoxy. So this afternoon was able to whitle em down with a sharp long blade kitchen knife - then sanded them with 60 and 150 grit sanspaper. The large knife really sped the job up as it only took about 30 minutes! I still have work to do on the fuse. Am considering using bolts for the wing hold-down but at the same time would kind of like to leave it original - what do you think?

Name:	Nl29623.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1545394   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45306.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1545395  
Old 01-10-2011, 03:55 PM
BobHH

Rubber bands are more forgiving on a rough landing. Easier to replace rubber bands instead of repairing the fuselage sides. Of course I did build one with wing bolts that came in from the bottom of the fuselage. Used paper wetted with Elmers glue wrapped around a waxed paper coated 3/4 dowel for inner guides. Kind of cool to see her with just the wing and no other signs of bolts!!

Funny, the prototype flew with an OS .15 FP. Possible would fly with a .10!! That little jewel Saito will allow you to hover!!!

Bob Harris
Old 01-10-2011, 05:57 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobHH

Rubber bands are more forgiving on a rough landing. Easier to replace rubber bands instead of repairing the fuselage sides. Of course I did build one with wing bolts that came in from the bottom of the fuselage. Used paper wetted with Elmers glue wrapped around a waxed paper coated 3/4 dowel for inner guides. Kind of cool to see her with just the wing and no other signs of bolts!!

Funny, the prototype flew with an OS .15 FP. Possible would fly with a .10!! That little jewel Saito will allow you to hover!!!

Bob Harris
Sizing the wing hold down bolts according to the lower loads of this size plane will give equal crash protection to rubber bands. Just use nylon bolts such as 4-40 or 6-32. I was amazed that a 39 inch electric Corsair ARF had 4mm steel bolts to hold the wing up. I lost those very quick and used 6-32 nyl;on screws after I converted it to glow.

JMHO

Sincerely, Richard
Old 01-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Augie11

You're going to love that little plane. I built mine from BH plans and have a PAW .19 diesel in her and have competed in a few Vintage R/C meets flying the stunt pattern. I'm always amazed at what you can do with this bird without ailerons! That Saito is a great choice.

I have all kinds of WWI and II warbirds in my hangar and love flying them. But the feeling you get when flying a Champ or a Quaker is still beyond compare.

By the way, what kit is it that you have?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:36 AM
JT Hammer

Augie11 - The kit is the 'Early RC Models', a nice laser cut kit available for about $90.00; just google it to find out more. I have been flying prop speed models, mostly jet types for the past few years, but have been wanting to try flying like we used to decades ago. I flew single channel way back then. Had a Veco .19 in a big ol' J-3 Cub. Started having more success when transistors came along! Anyway, the Champ is for nostolgia and relaxation. When I told the guys at the field what my project was going to be, they said "we'll believe it when we see it". I am known by some there as 'Rocketman', so they may have to come up with a new name! Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I'll be keeping you informed of my progress.

JT
Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Augie11

Thanks JT. And you enjoy her!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:00 PM
JT Hammer

Well, a bit more was accomplished today on this bird. I must say after building larger models for a long time the construction of the Champ seems awfully light and I had to resist the temptation to reinforce at every stage! Apparently they have been flown with .10's so I guess they had to be light. I have glued on the balsa where the windshield wraps around and have it sanded to contour. Then I turned my attention to the rear of the fuse, and glued on the upper side panels and centre longeron. Then came the filler sheet material to each side of the longeron, front and rear. Although it didn't call for it I added 1/8" sheet across the area where the stab will be glued (to give more gluing area). You will notice I did not pinch the extreme rear of the fuse together as I felt it was unneccessary and this also would give a greater area for the stab to sit on. On the bottom I glued a piece of ply to provide a hard point for a proper tail wheel assembly. I found the all of the above steps kind of fussy, but got through it ok. Some of the kit parts are not specifically identified, and page 9 that had a critical drawing was missing. But turned out to be not a big deal. Before I do anything else I have to make a trip to the hobby shop for glue and other supplies. Had a big snow storm last night so the roads are still bad. I hope the photos come through ok. I'm a terrible photographer - at least that's what everyone tells me!

Name:	Rp44018.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1546471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68923.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1546472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78762.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1546473  
Old 01-12-2011, 02:05 PM
JT Hammer

Here are the other two photos relating to the above. The files were too large to upload in one go.

JT

Name:	Ki20123.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1546482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53686.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1546483  
Old 01-12-2011, 02:06 PM
BobHH

JT, what drawing are you missing. I may still have it in my files.

Bob Harris
Old 01-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Augie11

Looking good JT. I'll try to attach a (bad) photo of mine. I love those rubber bands and wooden mounts. Don't jazz her up too much!

Name:	Ro41863.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	1546487  
Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM
JT Hammer

Bob - the instructions were explaining how to quote - "insert the 1/8" filler sheet parts to front and rear of longeron. NOTE: This assembly is shown on drawing A, page 9 for clarity". There is no page 9 anywhere in my pkg. However, I have completed this part of the assembly and it's pretty straight forward anyway. I don't think I screwed up!

Augie, that's a sweet looking bird there. I agree with not jazzing her up too much. Colors - I'm thinking antique cream (ultracote) trimmed with either real red or burgundy. I am sticking with rubber bands for the wing, three channels (not four). I'll be using my trusty Optic 6 radio, and I think my hitec 225 metal gear servos will be plenty for this application. Incidentily, I'm a mode 1 flier. But I will be using rudder on the right stick since ailerons won't be used. But since I am used to taxiing with my left thumb, I plan on mixing channels 1 and 4, so I can fly rudder with my right thumb and still taxi with my left thumb. That should work - right?

JT
Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 PM
BobHH

JT, this is page 9. Dan at Early RC must have missed it during printing the assembly manual. Anyway looks like you figured it out. Here is my Champ. Look familiar?

Bob Harris

BTW I used standard Futaba servos in her with 600 mAH pack. She would take off in about 5 feet with full throttle of the OS.15 FP but would fly almost an hour with the 8oz tank I had and just above idle!!

Name:	Jh16531.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1546557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17471.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1546558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21673.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1546559  
Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Augie11

Bob- You've got an 8oz. tank in there? It will fly forever. With the .19 diesel I've got a 3 oz. and she still runs forever!

JT- Mine is 3 channel as well and I also put the rudder on the right stick. Didn't couple 1/4 but that sounds fine. I've got standard Futaba 148 servos and they're fine. Metal gear Hitecs should be plenty. I hate monocote but I did use it on the wing and horizontal stab because I thought it would look neat.....and it does. The rest is 21st Century fabric. If you ever flew any old control line models the outline of this bird in the sky looks very much like that. It's a good feeling.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 AM
JT Hammer

Bob, I've seen a photo of your bird elsewhere. It's really nice and makes me want to go transparent. I believe Augie's is transparent blue and it's striking as well. So now you've got me thinking again! The drawing you posted, Bob, is the one that was missing from my kit. It does simplify where those filler sheets go. However, a careful examination of the plans reveals the same thing, and that's what I did. It may be 2, 3, or 4 days before another post. I still have to get to the hobby store. I drive my car with hand controls, but being in a wheelchair still means I have to get from a parking space to any store door (and back), and there is still a lot of snow not cleared here and there. Catch you all later.

JT
Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 AM
Shorty Gauge

BH

Is that Monokote on that DeBolt Champ. That's like kissing your Sister.

Shorty Gauge

Pantyhose, NC.
Not the best place in the world, but right next to it.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 AM
BobHH

Well JT, if you look at your kit box picture it may look familiar. I designed that kit for Early RC some years ago with the help of Hal DeBolt. I kind of call it the MKIV as Hal wanted to make some changes from the MKIII design that Midwest did. I still have and cherish the final plans that he signed off on before the kit was produced!! A great Modeler and Man!!

Hey Shorty Gauge, as I recall monocote was around when the MKIII was kitted!![sm=72_72.gif] Least it ain't got one of those egg beaters on the nose!!!! Oh I'm sorry you prefer a pouch egg with your French toast and French kiss!![sm=wink_smile.gif]

Bob Harris
Old 01-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Augie11

Well JT, if you look at your kit box picture it may look familiar. I designed that kit for Early RC some years ago with the help of Hal DeBolt. I kind of call it the MKIV as Hal wanted to make some changes from the MKIII design that Midwest did. I still have and cherish the final plans that he signed off on before the kit was produced!! A great Modeler and Man!!

Hey Shorty Gauge, as I recall monocote was around when the MKIII was kitted!![sm=72_72.gif] Least it ain't got one of those egg beaters on the nose!!!! Oh I'm sorry you prefer a pouch egg with your French toast and French kiss!![sm=wink_smile.gif]

Bob Harris
I dunno Bob. Now that my sister has been brought into the act I may just have to rummage through my stuff and get the silk and dope left over from my 1955 Ringmaster. Darned, that transparent monokote sure looked good though! 'Hey honey, have you seen my Fox .35 around somewhere?' : )
Old 01-13-2011, 10:34 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Augie11

Bob Harris
I dunno Bob. Now that my sister has been brought into the act I may just have to rummage through my stuff and get the silk and dope left over from my 1955 Ringmaster. Darned, that transparent monokote sure looked good though! 'Hey honey, have you seen my Fox .35 around somewhere?' : )

I have "your" Fox .35! I plan to put it on my Kenhi Buzzr'd after I recover the bird with silk and dope, or polyester and WBU. I had your Ringmaster, but I gave it to the father of a flying buddy who last flew CL back in the day. The Ringmaster came to me with a K&B .35 RC that I kept. I may put that engine on the Buzzr'd instead of the Fox since the K&B has a carb and the Fox only a venturi.

Very best regards to all for a Happy New Year.

Sincerely, Richard

Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Augie11

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

ORIGINAL: Augie11

Bob Harris

I have ''your'' Fox .35! I plan to put it on my Kenhi Buzzr'd after I recover the bird with silk and dope, or polyester and WBU. I had your Ringmaster, but I gave it to the father of a flying buddy who last flew CL back in the day. The Ringmaster came to me with a K&B .35 RC that I kept. I may put that engine on the Buzzr'd instead of the Fox since the K&B has a carb and the Fox only a venturi.

Very best regards to all for a Happy New Year.

Sincerely, Richard

So THAT'S where it went! Last seen in a Super Ringmaster. Loved that plane. Best of luck with it Richard.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:28 PM
JT Hammer

That is so funny Bob! The photo of your plane IS on the kit box. HOWEVER, I have noticed it once or twice elsewhere in this forum or another. By the way I really like the way you trimmed her with the red, but it must have been a delicate job to cut it just right to make those fine curves especially on the tail feathers! I have a feeling my rendition will have more straight lines. I never had the pleasure of meeting Hal Debolt, but have built a few of his designs i.e. Rebel and Pursuit. He certainly was a gentleman and seemingly an avid modeller most of his life.

I am quite impressed with the engineering of the Champ kit Bob. Seems well thought out and everything fits spot on! And how nice the laser cutting is compared to the old (crushed) die cutting. I also liked the way the fuse sides on the Champ had the position of the formers already scribed on them ao it easy to position them correctly. Nice job! So far the wood quality has been very good, as well.

I did make it to the LHS this afternoon, so am stocked up with glue, etc. So perhaps tomorrow will start on the tail feathers. Hey this was supposed to take up the winter months. What am I doing! I am anxious to see the final result though.

Have you guys ever used thread for hinges. I use the hinges for ca most of the time, but have on occassion used the heavier waxed thread variety with excellent results. Method: Stiffen the balsa first with thin ca. Drill a half dozen or so tiny holes on each side of the surface. Thread together using the figure 8 method, and seal ends with ca. Gives a nice retro look, as well.

So long for now.....JT
Old 01-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Augie11

Yup. And it works well. And there's not too many hinges on a Champ....... 9?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 PM
billmod12
My Feedback: (1)

Bob H! Hows the weather in your part of the state? Believe it or not I have actually shoveled snow this week!

J T, don't let these guys get you distracted they are just jealous. Glad to see another Champ come on the scene. It is my favorite Debolt model. Here is a picture of my dads built in 1955 and Hal Debolts original one in 1956 at a fly in. I am currently building a scaled down version 42" which I hope to finish over the winter. Good work and keep the pictures coming.

Name:	Yw69238.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1547172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79312.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1547173  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.