Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Retract cycling

Old 05-22-2011, 07:09 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retract cycling

Hi All

Just installed my first set of servo operated retracts. One retract servo operating both retracts. Everything is working fine except for the retracts cycling when I turn on the system. I read about this some time back, but can't seem to find it again.

I have a DX7. Is there a way to keep the retract servo from cycling when turning on the system?

Thanks
Tom
Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Retract cycling

ORIGINAL: tacx

Hi All

Just installed my first set of servo operated retracts. One retract servo operating both retracts. Everything is working fine except for the retracts cycling when I turn on the system. I read about this some time back, but can't seem to find it again.

I have a DX7. Is there a way to keep the retract servo from cycling when turning on the system?

Thanks
Tom
I ran into this problem, as well.

Remember, with 2.4 systems, when you Bind, you not only teach the Rx to memorize the GUID from your Tx's Model Memory, but you also set the conditions for a Failsafe Event.

When you Bind your Model Memory to your Rx, make sure the Retracts are Down. They should not Cycle, when you turn on the Tx and Rx, if you Bind with the Gear Down.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts

Some servos are susceptable to that, especially analog ones. If rebinding doesnt work, you're likely stuck with it. My Ventus glider does the same thing even with smart safe binding.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:43 PM
mctague

Tom check your settings, i made a mistake setting mine, ailerons were set for 2 servos. when ever i moved the ail the gears would opperate. huuuh! airtronic set it back to default.and when i used the retrack switch they would cycle as well;now the work perfect. check your radio. good luck (JERRY)let me know how it turns out.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 PM
tacx

Thanks for your replies. I will check it out and let you know.
Tom
Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 PM
BuschBarber

When you power up a Spektrum Tx and Rx, it goes into Failsafe, for a brief second, before Linking. If you did a Bind and had the Retract Switch in the Up position, then when you power up the Tx and Rx to fly, the Retracts will Cycle. I Bind with the Gear down, and they never Cycle.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:19 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi All

Thanks
Tom
Set your clock back 30 years the Futaba 136 also would cycle if not installed such that OFF was gear down
some things just keep coming back- These servos were POD type - pulse omission detector so when power came on they always went one way -till the tx told em which way was up ( pun)
Old 05-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Disarray

I thought the DX7 failsafe only effects the throttle. I have the same problem with the same radio. I was never able to cure it.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:55 PM
1320Fastback

Pretty sure fail safe is all channels.

I have mine set up to fail safe up. I power my planes up in a cradle anyway so its not a issue for me but the reason for the fail safe up is in the event of a RX loss the gear will stay up and maybe survive the crash.

There's no way a plane is going to land itself without your control so why have them down?

But yes rebind with the retracts in the position you want them in and they might stay down depending on what the servo does when it first gets power.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:38 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

Pretty sure fail safe is all channels.

I have mine set up to fail safe up. I power my planes up in a cradle anyway so its not a issue for me but the reason for the fail safe up is in the event of a RX loss the gear will stay up and maybe survive the crash.

There's no way a plane is going to land itself without your control so why have them down?

But yes rebind with the retracts in the position you want them in and they might stay down depending on what the servo does when it first gets power.
All PCM 72Mhz and 2.4 radios have Failsafe settings. The most common is for the Throttle to go to Idle and all other channels Hold, when a Failsafe event happens. Some radios hav Failsafe Presets, where you can direct each individual channel to move to a particular position when a Failsafe event occurs.

When you first turn on the Tx and Rx, there is a Failsafe Event. All the channels will twitch.

When you Bind the Tx to the Rx, you set the Failsafe Conditions. If you went through the Bind Process, with the Gear Up, they will Cycle every time you turn on the Tx and Rx. If you do not want this to happen, Bind with the Gear Down.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:31 PM
tacx

When binding, your failsafe positions will be where ever you hold the sticks at. For example, if you hold hard right rudder while binding, then during failsafe your rudder will go to hard right.

By the way, I rebound with the retracts in the down position and now they do not cycle. Just what I wanted.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:27 AM
BuschBarber

When binding, your failsafe positions will be where ever you hold the sticks at. For example, if you hold hard right rudder while binding, then during failsafe your rudder will go to hard right.

By the way, I rebound with the retracts in the down position and now they do not cycle. Just what I wanted.
Yes!! That is known as Failsafe Presets. The information is stored in the Receiver so that when you lose the signal from the Tx, the Receiver moves the servos to that position until the signal is restored.

With my Spektrum AR9000, I Bind, for Failsafe Hold, by inserting the Bind Plug, turning on the Rx, see the Blinking lights, press the Bind Button on my Tx, turn on the Tx, release the Bind Button, and remove the Bind Plug. When I Bind, for Failsafe Presets, I insert the Bind Plug, turn on the Rx, watch the Blinking lights, remove the Bind Plug, depress the Bind Button on the Tx, turn on the Tx, and release the Bind Button. I have a JR XP9303 with a Spektrum RF Module.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Okay, bit of confusion going on here....

Spektrum/JR doesn't help things out when they talk about "Failsafe" and/or "Smartsafe" since the traditional meaning of Failsafe doesn't apply.

Two issues exist; the smaller channel number rx's cannot be set to drive the servos to a predetermined position on tx signal loss with the exception of the throttle servo which can be set, all others remain at last commanded position. The bigger rx's can be set for a predetermined servo positions as Rich describes buy pulling the bind plug out after the rx's start blinking. The other thing that happens during a bind is that the rx is programmed where to put the servos when it powers up and before it links with the tx which on DSM2 systems is usually 3 to 5 seconds. So you bind your DX7/AR7000 with the controls in neutral, gear down (if retract equipted) and throttle positioned where you want it for the loss of tx signal. What happens with the gear retracting on power up is usually due to the servo travel being reversed during setup and if you don't rebind after setup, the rx will drive that servo to the other end of it's travel and the gear retracts, as soon as the rx links with the tx the gear comes back down.

It was a pretty common problem with the DX7 setups after they came out and guys with retract equipted models were having fits trying to determine why the landing gear was retracting on rx powerup and then extending a few seconds later.

ALWAYS rebind after setup and any significant programming changes.