Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pensacola Jets 2011 is ON!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pensacola Jets 2011 is ON!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Rob B.
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pensacola Jets 2011 is ON!

Here is another hotel that is giving us a group rate, I left it out of the first listing.

Hampton Inn and Suites Navarre Beach
$79.99 night, $99.99 for Suites
http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/h...tyhocn=PNSNVHX

Rob
Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Rob!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:20 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Sluggo

I think I'm gonna bow out of this event. There doesn't seem to be much interest and can't justify driving 13 hours and just a few show up. A little over 3 weeks until the event and only 3 responses. I think a number of things are hurting your event. One real concern for me at least is security at night if no one is allowed to stay at the field. Timing of the event also hurt. There is an event in south Florida the next weekend. Talked to a couple of friends in Fl. today and they can't do back to back weekends. Lack of info, although not your fault when dealing with the navy as to when we can get in to setup, when we have to vacate and other limitations the navy may put on us.

I hope the event happens and all have a good time.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:00 PM
VF84sluggo

Bob, I can certainly understand your decision. Maybe next year things will be better. Thanks for considering making the trip.

Sluggo
Old 10-29-2011, 05:53 PM
VF84sluggo

Here's the latest:

There will be two tents, a 40x40 and a 30x30. Tent space is included in the registration fee on a first-come-first-serve basis. Pop-ups are certainly allowed if desired. Trailers may remain at the field overnight.

As of now the navy is not mandating a 400 ft altitude restriction.

If you are coming and need a hotel room, you might want to look into it ASAP. I think some of the group rates only apply if the reservation is made by 31 Oct.

Sluggo
Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 AM
VF84sluggo

FYI, here's the website link: http://www.alvinrc.com/jet
Old 10-31-2011, 04:31 AM
KC36330

how many people are preregistered? i'm like Bob, if there aren't going to be but 3 people there, i'm not really interested in spending the $$$ and the time.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:13 AM
bcovish

KC
If I lived as close as you do to the event I wouldn't have any second thoughts about going. I'd go in a heartbeat.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:23 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something to keep in mind is that the Pensacola end of season Airshow is going on also. If you come Friday you can also go to the night show at the NAS
Old 10-31-2011, 05:32 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: bcovish

KC
If I lived as close as you do to the event I wouldn't have any second thoughts about going. I'd go in a heartbeat.
Bob

we've got our annual fly in at my local club this weekend (see attachment) then Pensacola is the following.............I'm a full time single parent, she's got school Friday so that's not an option, only day i can make it is on Saturday, it costs me 100 in gas to drive down and back, 45 bucks for the event, fuel to fly and then food, so 250+ bucks to fly with 3 or 4 folks v/s i can stay here and fly at the local field for about 1/4th that cost............that's why i'd like a head count on preregistration folks, i'd like to come to the event just trying to see how many others are attending.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ig13018.pdf (81.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Is that this weekend? as in first weekend of Nov? Dang I have to work at fort rucker chili 5k till noon so I will miss your club event unless I can find someone to take my spot. Arrggg thats our club meeting as well so I guess I will push it till next weekend.
ORIGINAL: KC36330

ORIGINAL: bcovish

KC
Bob

we've got our annual fly in at my local club this weekend (see attachment) then Pensacola is the following.............I'm a full time single parent, she's got school Friday so that's not an option, only day i can make it is on Saturday, it costs me 100 in gas to drive down and back, 45 bucks for the event, fuel to fly and then food, so 250+ bucks to fly with 3 or 4 folks v/s i can stay here and fly at the local field for about 1/4th that cost............that's why i'd like a head count on preregistration folks, i'd like to come to the event just trying to see how many others are attending.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:04 AM
VF84sluggo

KC - Well, we're gonna hold the event even if there's only three or four of us. If you can make it, great. If not, I certainly understand your situation.

The ONLY restriction that differs here from other events is no overnight camping/rv-ing. I cannot believe that would be the "deal breaker" for the event. Sure, for the few that always RV I can see it. But does everybody RV at KY Jets? SJS? MS A/B? I don't believe so, but I could be wrong. Oh, one other difference, almost forgot about this one, the Navy won't allow concession sales on their property (I have no idea why), so it's bring-your-own. That's the other difference.

As far as security, that's no more of a concern than at any other event. What's to keep someone from snooping around the tents and trailers at 3 or 4 AM at any of those events? Are the fields locked down at night? Sure, guys are rv-ing, but are they going to be providing security at 3 or 4 AM? Maybe, if they happen to get up to take a leak at the exact time someone is up to no good they might hear or see something. For sure the Holley Field gate is locked at night. Yes, someone could climb the gate, hike a quarter mile to the trailers parked out at the tents, and break in...just like they could do at any other event, but have no gate to climb. They could just drive right in, stop a little ways away, and walk on in...after checking everything out as a 'spectator' earlier in the day.

Again, we're pressing on. Yes, there's a fee. Got to pay for the porta-potties and the tents somehow. The plan is to donate any excess money after expenses to Wounded Warriors. However, it looks now like there may not be any excess money. Unless we get a lot of last-minute sign-ups, or folks that show at the event, based on early registrations it is likely that we (us that are working to put this on) will cover most of the crapper and tent expense ourselves.

So, to answer your question, KC, right now there will be for sure 4 of us there...5 if you show. A few guys from GA Jets are holding out to see what the weather will be. If it looks nice, they say they will come. That makes 7, 8 if you come Saturday. There may be two or three others that I don't know about who are coming, but that's just a hunch.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 AM
A4Driver45

I think Randy hit the nail on the head, and if you have ever been to our field at Holley you know you have to drive at least a 1/4 of
a mile from the gate which is locked after the event is over each day. So if someone wanted to steal something they would have
to walk this distance, get what they wanted, then walk back all the while carrying any items. That is a nice walk, and the area is lit up
and can be seen from the road. Also, the Navy does an inspection every hour on the field each night.

I have been to every event held at Holley since 04, up to the event in 08, which is when I believe the commanding officer and the
saftey officer came out to visit. While looking things over they were very impressed with the R/C jet's, but not so impressed by
the large brown RV parked on the field, and having a table set up outside with 4-5 whisky bottles sitting on the table. This did
not sit well with the Navy, and this is when we lost the privilige of having overnite stays with RV's and/or campers. So who's
fault was this. Believe me guys we would love having you to be able to park there for the convience, and be economical for everyone.

We are working hard with the Navy, trying to get this suspension lifted, and maybe next year it will be set right. But, unfortunantely
we were unable to get permision for this year. However we have gotten lower rates from three motels, and the RV camp site in the
area. I know the Day's Inn still has 21 rooms they will hold at the lower rates.

If the no motor homes on site is a reason to make or break the even, we are sorry for the inconvience. The Pensacola Jet event will
take place with or without your support. However, we would love to see you at the event and support our efforts and maybe this will
be an incentive for the Navy to lift their restrictions.

Guy's this hobby is suppossed to be an avenue for the R/C families to be seen and to see other clubs fields, and to give as much
support as we can to other clubs. I know of 5 men from here and the Mobile, Al area that went to support the Georgia Jet's this Sept. 2011,
and we could of stayed home and gone over to our field, which is only 1/2 mile (or less) from my home. But, instead we were
very much interested in the clubs event, and enjoy helping our fellow R/C er's. I would also like to say that it would be nice if some
of the other clubs would get lower room rates for us out of towners.

So come on guy's GIVE US A LITTLE SUPPORT AT HOLLEY!!! We would greatly appreciate it, and would enjoy having you at our field.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and we do look forward to seening you soon.

R. Kranz

Old 11-02-2011, 02:15 PM
bcovish

I think the biggest thing that may hurt the event is that the event wasn't posted until 8/15 and no more hard info until 9/30. It was kinda short notice about the event. Vacations, if anyone has any vacation left had to be planned, family issues. and whatever may keep some away. I know of three that would not attend because of the RV issue, but that is only three. There were three of us going to attend from Austin but the other two had to cancel because of the uncertainty of the event. Dead lines at work for them. I didn't want to make the 13 hour drive by myself. It would cost probably between $900-$1000 for me to attend. Gas, a minimum 5 nights hotel, food and whatever other costs are involved.

If you plan on doing this again next year I would suggest to get the word out as soon as possible. Some are already planning which events to go next year. I know I have 4 on my calendar already.

You mentioned Georgia Jets. I know at least three are coming and a couple others couldn't because of family commitments already planned.

Good luck on the event and hope to attend next year.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:20 PM
JRSmith
My Feedback: (47)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you guys don't mind, I would like to confirm what Randy and Rocky have said. I can understand the concerns for leaving trailers and equipment on the field overnight and not being able to camp overnight. I do also understand that money is a concern today.

If not being able to camp is the main issue, I can understand that, especially in today's current economy. Randy, Rocky, Rob, and everybody else involved have done a great job to secure accommodations at a reasonable rate and their efforts should be commended. I would hope you re-consider and take advantage of the local hotels, lot's of great places to visit down on Navarre Beach and the surrounding areas. The night life is pretty good also!

If leaving your trailers, aircraft, and equipment are the main issue, this is totally understandable also. Please rest assured that the Navy OLF's are very secure in location, fencing, and roving security patrols. If it too much to leave the airplane or equipment out there unattended, I will offer up my shop/garage for overnight storage of your items and I only live a short distance away (about 7-9 miles from the field) in Gulf Breeze. I have plenty of space on the benches and on the floor. Additionally my shop is fully equipped in case you need to perform any last minute maintenance or repairs and I don't mind helping out if needed.

I don't own a jet, but every time I have been able to attend the event as a spectator, it has been worth my time. There is something to be said about getting together with your friends and enjoying each others company, especially those that we don't get to see often. I hope all that are on the fence may re-consider. It is a great facility in a great location with a great bunch of guys coordinating the show. Well worth your time.

Just my thoughts, hope to see you there. Take care and all the best.

Jason

Old 11-02-2011, 03:49 PM
dos007
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two of us from La. will be there to fly and support the event...this year and next year!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:52 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

I would attend if we could RV, mine is a fifth wheel toy hauler so my airplane transportation is my RV. I would have to move all my airplanes and support equipment to another trailer. In addition I always bring my dogs, guess where they stay. So the RV issue is a big deal for me. I have no problem leaving my gear locked up in a trailer on site I did it for years. Again I'd support your event but it would be a lot more of a challenge than the way I'm setup now. Hope it works out and you can get the RV's allowed in the future, until then it's the deal breaker for me.

DR
Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 PM
KC36330

looking like i'll be there Saturday and bring two others.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:47 PM
VF84sluggo

I know this was short notice and we realize the no-rv rwestriction is onerous, but I would like to thank in advance the guys who are going to make the trip. It has been an uphill battle to get this event back on track, and if were to cancel that would most likely be the final nail in the PCola Jet coffin. That's why, come hell or high water (or even a cold front), we will hold the event.

By pressing on in spite of, quite frankly, non-sensical restrictions we hope tp send the message that as long as we have access to Holley, we will hold the event. The plan is to meet with the Navy as soon as possible in January and set a 2012 date. I plan on asking for Columbus Day weekend in October.

Sluggo
Old 11-03-2011, 05:05 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

I know this was short notice and we realize the no-rv rwestriction is onerous, but I would like to thank in advance the guys who are going to make the trip. It has been an uphill battle to get this event back on track, and if were to cancel that would most likely be the final nail in the PCola Jet coffin. That's why, come hell or high water (or even a cold front), we will hold the event.

By pressing on in spite of, quite frankly, non-sensical restrictions we hope tp send the message that as long as we have access to Holley, we will hold the event. The plan is to meet with the Navy as soon as possible in January and set a 2012 date. I plan on asking for Columbus Day weekend in October.

Sluggo
If you can get the no RV restriction lifted Vernon and I will be there next year. If the whiskey bottles on the table, or out in the open was the issue let it be known and I'm sure that anyone that wants to drink will respect that and keep it on the down low. I can't hardly believe that the Navy is so naive that they think no one takes a drink.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:08 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: DavidR

I can't hardly believe that the Navy is so naive that they think no one takes a drink.

Can't speak for the Navy, but the Army prohibits alcohol on the fields period here.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 PM
VF84sluggo

LOL...well, it's a 'new' Navy! But I hear you, I think it was more an issue of poor form. While drinking at Holley is off-limits, better to follow the 'don't ask, don't tell' philosophy...keep the adult beverages low-key, and certainly off of the breakfast buffet

Quite honestly, the RV issue is flat out going to be a tough nut to crack. There is a precedent, though. The Navy command out at Whidbey, WA allows RV's. Problem is, that's a different parent command than Holley's, and typically one commander may not give a damn what another commander is doing. Nonetheless, all we can do is point it out and appeal to the Navy's good graces. If we can get it approved, even though I'm local, I'll probably stay at the field myself.

My biggest worry is the ability to secure a date far enough in advance. With the closure of the Vieques, Puerto Rico target range and the increase in joint training at Eglin and Hurlburt AFB's, Holley field has become more in demand. Complicating things is the fact that field usage is normally booked in quarterly increments. It simply may not be possible for the Navy to commit to us in January a date in October...just too far out. That's why I'm hedging my bet and plan on asking for Columbus Day weekend, a federal holiday.

Sluggo
Old 11-04-2011, 07:38 AM
A4Driver45

Guy's I want to thank all that have made the decission to make it to the Pensacola jet's this year and thank you to all that have sent the very nice replies, all of the Holley flyers have worked very hard to keep our field open, Randy has put a lot of time into getting the Pcola jets back up and running again, because of the limited use of the field, we have asked the membership that fly prop aircraft to stand down during the jet event, so as you can see it is not only the Navy we have had to deal with but due to having a good membership the prop guy's will drive to another field to fly if they don't want to see the jet's............I not only want to THANK you out of town jet pilots but THANK you to the rest of the Holley Flyers that will be giving up the local field so we can Jet's.

We are one week away, you still have time to make plans to attend, come on fly your jets, eat some great sea food and visit with friends.

Thank you, for your support.

R. Kranz
Old 11-06-2011, 04:59 PM
KC36330

Just preregistered, any update on the dinner/banquet so i can plan accordingly?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:12 PM
VF84sluggo

Thanks, KC!

OK, back in town, here's the latest: I have been told that "customers" have reserved the field for night ops on Thursday, so we will not have access until Friday morning. The plan is to have the tent and porta-potty folks out there at 0630. Flying can start at 0800.

As far as the Saturday night dinner, it looks like there will not be a "formal" event planned. The place we had in mind wanted a deposit to hold a room, and at the time it was looking like folks were looking for reasons not to come. So, most likely we'll see who all is here and who wants to go over to the Beach Monkey Saturday night, and go from there. The plan is to 'buy-your-own' off the menu. There was talk about handing out some awards, but I have not heard anything more about that, either.

Sluggo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.