Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New DLE 55 always dies on taxi.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: New DLE 55 always dies on taxi.

The idle speed screw is removed and not replaced
Old 12-13-2011, 03:58 PM
P51p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh......yup I already did that.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

P51p

What is the throttle linkage begining to end. You said 3004 servo:
What horn lengths? servo center to hole used, throttle shaft to hole used. Angles (do you use the rule of right angles)?
What type and length of pushrod? Supported? Ball links? Clevises? bends?

Dealing with others in the past most problems end up falling into two types, setup and tuneing.

I am not saying that there is not a problem with your engine. I'm just saying that is not where I start looking first.

To start with the 3004 is a ball bearing, nylon gears, standard servo. Certainly up to the task of throttle control if setup right (we don't like fast servos on gas thottles in general at our field).
Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: P51p

kmeyers.....I did not replace the idle screw. What should I replace it with? And where do I get one?
All the gassers I have bought came with this screw in place. For the servo to control the idle position the screw needs to be removed.
This is a fair first question. Many do not remove it and wonder why they cann't kill the engine with the throttle or set the idle lower.
Your level of experience is completely unknown to me.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:12 PM
P51p

kmeyers......Fair questions indeed.

I have been flying giant scale gas for about 3-4years, and this is my third gas plane. The other two are 40cc and still fly them and they fly great and idle well. However ths is my first DLE engine, the other two engines are CRRC Pro 40cc and work really good, never had any idle issues with them but they are side mounted carburetors and my reasearch the last few days seems to indicate that the rear mounted carburetors may be a little more sensitive to outside temperatures and needle adjustments.....not sure how true that statment is though, still learning.

I think the throttle linkage is good...pretty much the same setup on my other planes. I did notice the idle around 1900-2000rpm when I first had the engine on a test stand but figured I would deal with it when the plane was done and ready.

I did disassemble the carburetor the last few days and cleaned all the holes and did notice one of the progression holes that is responsible for idle seem a little clogged perhaps with a metal burr maybe during the milling process. It's all put back together now and ready to run it tomorrow if the weather permits.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:17 PM
P51p

BTW.....Removing the idle screw was the first thing I did when I was setting up the plane. I also use a fiber optice kill switch from smart fly on all my gas planes, I never liked depending on closing the carburetor all the way to kill the engine.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 PM
P51p

I actually misunderstood the question" w8ye" was asking about the idle screw, I thought he meant the actual low end needle screw and not the idle stop screw thats why I was curious about replacing it and where to buy one.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 PM
P51p

ORIGINAL: kmeyers

P51p

What is the throttle linkage begining to end. You said 3004 servo:
What horn lengths? servo center to hole used, throttle shaft to hole used. Angles (do you use the rule of right angles)?
What type and length of pushrod? Supported? Ball links? Clevises? bends?

Dealing with others in the past most problems end up falling into two types, setup and tuneing.

I am not saying that there is not a problem with your engine. I'm just saying that is not where I start looking first.

> To start with the 3004 is a ball bearing, nylon gears, standard servo. Certainly up to the task of throttle control if setup right (we don't like fast servos on gas thottles in general at our field).

Just curious.....why don't you guys like fast servos on gas throttles at your field? What would you suggest as a good servo for my 50cc?
Old 12-17-2011, 01:33 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A fast servo is not needed. Snapping the throttle from idle to wide open is not a thing you want to do with some engines. If you can set-up the travel from idle so transition towards full throttle matches what stick movement and actual RPM takes place...the result will be much better. Its time for you to read all about throttle curves and the length of the servo arms and throttle arms. So check back....its all there. Capt,n

Old 12-17-2011, 01:34 PM
w8ye

it is better if your throttle lever is not moved fast
Old 12-17-2011, 01:57 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Hi All,
The engine has always done this right out of the box. I swapped the plug for the NGK CM-6, not sure of the gap. What should it be?
I have not taken the carb apart yet..I wanted to try the simplest things first.

w8ye.......I will definitely consider changing the servo to digital, but you are correct...metal gears sometime do have more slop than nylon.

Have any of you guys been able to get the idle as low at the manual says 1350rpm without it dying??

What prop's are you guys using and what idle rpm's are you getting with your DLE55?

Thanks.
Your problem is puzzling. A clue, I think, is that you say it has been doing this from the start. There was some posts a while ago about the reeds of an DLE opening up and leaking when the carburetor and reed block assembly was screwed down. I will search for this and post the link if I find it.

Bliksem
Old 12-17-2011, 02:44 PM
captinjohn

A good Idle speedof about 1600 + or- some is average. Adjust the Idle speedso it is at asmooth RPM and not so fast it pulls your airplane on the taxi way. Thats all is needed!................................
Old 12-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

kmeyers.....I did not replace the idle screw. What should I replace it with? And where do I get one?
Just remove it. You do not need it.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

A fast servo is not needed. Snapping the throttle from idle to wide open is not a thing you want to do with some engines. If you can set-up the travel from idle so transition towards full throttle matches what stick movement and actual RPM takes place...the result will be much better. Its time for you to read all about throttle curves and the length of the servo arms and throttle arms. So check back....its all there. Capt,n

Well, it is a thing I do with my engines and I would expect no less than immediate response. If that wasn't happpening I would tune it correctly or get a different engine.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Well, it is a thing I do with my engines and I would expect no less than immediate response. If that wasn't happpening I would tune it correctly or get a different engine.

The key word here is "some"....not all................
Old 12-17-2011, 08:22 PM
w8ye

There's someone jumping in to bark to just hear the roar?

The Futaba 3004 std bb analog servo on 6v goes from limit to limit in .19 sec

The Hitec 5625 digital servo does the same feat at .14 sec.

That's a whopping .05 seconds difference in throttle speed.

I doubt any of you would be able to accurately measure that with a stop watch?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:49 PM
P51p

Update......

I started the engine today after reassembling the carburetor and it started right up with no problems and for the first time I was able to get the idle down as low as 1500-1600 rpm with out the engine dying. Before I took the carburetor apart the lowest it would go would be about 1900-2000rpm, so I think there was definitely crap in one of the progression holes that is responsible for low idle. Tomorrow I will try to work on tuning it a little, had no time today to do it.
I did look around the the carburetor gaskets for air leaks, did not find any. May be difficult to find if it's a subtle air leak though.

Still curious about the recommended throttle servo.....digital or analog? Metal or nylon gear? Any thoughts?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:59 PM
w8ye

I have been using the 3004 on the throttles without any trouble.

I've used a bristle out of a wire brush to run into those idle holes in the carbs.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:23 PM
P51p

Yep....I stuck a small wire into the holes and moved it around, seem to do the trick.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Scota4570

If you suspect an air leak you can easily diagnose it. Spray some carb cleaner around the suspect places with the engine running. The liquid will be sucked in and cause the engine to run differently when you hit the right spot. It does not need to be carb cleaner. Anything flamable will work. I just use it because it is handy and evaporates clean. I suppose butane might work if you put a hose on the container to direct it.