Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Should I Quit

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Should I Quit

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:10 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Should I Quit

ORIGINAL: RCFlyerDan

I teach a lot of older Gentlemen at my Club......we are located in Florida...lol. As one person said earlier, as long as you are still having fun, and it isn't a budget thing, keep going. I would also like to strongly suggest that you have your eyes checked, if you haven't in the past year. I had one student that had been around planes all of his life, had his private license, was a builder (not an ARF assembler), and could fix his mistakes. I watched his health deteriorate over the years from when I met him when he was 73, and I was willing to help him on the buddy box. This went on for 3+ years, and I just thought that he would stay on it for the rest of his life. He would solo, total an airplane, then come back to the buddy box. Then, He had his eyes checked and had cateracts in both eyes. Fixed his eyes, I soloed him in three flights and he never came back on the buddy box at 77. I would give him help with a new plane, but that was it. He has now stopped flying just this past year at 81 due to arthritis in his legs, etc. So, get those eyes checked!! Very important in this hobby. If you can't see it, you can't control it!!
Ditto ... Every other Instructor gave up on this older gentleman and handed him off to me ... When I insited he keep it in close he was OK not great but OK. If he got it out a ways he'd loose it rather quickley. I kept asking "can You See the Plane" answer was always yes. He could see the plane but I don't beleave he could tell what the orintation of the plane was. Anyways I left for the summer but did tell a couple of his former instructors about making sure he kept in close, but Alas after coming back for the winter and asking of him. He had sold his equipment and moved on, too bad. Just a shame.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:12 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever you do, DONT QUIT.
My father also had sayings, Quitters never win, winners never quit.

On the other note, that is why this hobby is so much different and challenging than cars or boats, every plane flys, turns and lands differently.
So dont try to fly different planes if you are not fully proficient because you are bound to disaster.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
woainie
Banned

Did you know? smoking and over watching television can make your imagination down. But reading and sport can make your imagination good. and also with a good speaking will increase your imagination. Why? because your brain is what is your see,eat,drink and activity. so make a good habit to increase your good imagination..JUST FOR SHARE for antique and unique (not for sale) come to

www.myunique-antique.blogspot.com
Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM
grimbeaver

There are different ways to approach landing. I would talk to some other people and watch how they do it. Some will point out good reference points on which to turn for your approach, etc. The first person who told me how to land I did not do well at all with their method. Some tips from someone else got me landing great in no time.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cutaway
...Your planes probably are using props with too much pitch too. Many experts don't consider the needs of a beginner and recommend props with too much pitch and landings get hotter as a result....
It is much more effective to simply trim the plane to fly at a slower airspeed. Many take off and trim the elevator for full blast and never touch it again. It really is a useful little button/lever and it works great when it is actually moved for different flight regimes.

Kurt
Old 02-06-2012, 05:32 PM
DeferredDefect

Stick with it !

It sounds like you may have a combination of events working against you. First off - what is your field like? The club I belong too' s previous field had trees at either end, and required that I dive a bit for landing. It made it quite difficult in some conditions, especially as I was still training. I would also make a quick note of the weight of the aircraft in relation to the recommended weight. Also ensure your engine is idling correctly, and your prop has a relatively low pitch. If everything is okay here, both with model and field, we can determine that the problem is related to your flying style or instructor. 

Try working with another instructor or pilot next time you go out - just ask if he or she can fly a circuit or two with your model, and maybe see if they can explain how they made their approach - a poor approach will always lead to a poor landing, and it was the approach that always gave me the most difficulty. Eventually, I figured it out - that is, after I landed my model in the above mentioned trees! As expected, my problems were entirely with the approach.

When landing, pull your throttle back on the downwind leg, and head out quite a ways before making the turn to final. This will give you lots of time to correct, slow down, or go around if anything goes awry. 

As stated earlier, I would not recommend a 40 sized model for a trainer. Some are quite good, but they just don't fly slow or gentle enough compared to a 60 sized model. Look into the Sig Kadet Senior - there are a few other Kadets, but the Senior is the "floatiest"! 

You could also look into finding a larger field, perhaps without trees or obstructions on either end. This will at least make any errors in height a bit less terminal. This could also be an opportunity to try working with another instructor.
I would think a sailplane could be a good starting place to someone without any experience, but if it is only the landings that are giving you difficulty, a sailplane can be tricky to learn as well. Don't forget, they are designed to fly without engine power, so if you end up going too fast or high on landing, you are going to way overshoot the landing spot. If you have access to a large field, this shouldn't be a problem, and it might be worth trying. 

Either way, I wish you the best of luck , and happy flying !

Graeme
Old 02-06-2012, 05:33 PM
HoundDog

If I had my Druthers I'd Use a 3 Channel Sig Kadet Senior with a 40 or 45 Nitro motor. Nitrojust gives more time in the air other Reason 3 Channel with the Throttle and Rudder on the left stick and the elevator on the right. This teaches the use of RUDDER right from the start.. The Kadet Senior is Big, Slow, and Forgiving. How many Instructors let their students fly a so called TRAINERS Too Fast Too Far Out and never touch the Rudder. No wonder so many people never learn to effectively use the Rudder. Most So Called TRAINERS fly too well with just using the Ailerons. That is till one tries to keep it straight down the runway on landing. Landing is all about the right Approach speed, and keeping the wings level with the ailerons and Keeping the Heading with the rudder. Like My Instrument Instructor Used to say "The one time one doesn't care too much if the "BALL is CENTERED' Fly an ILS in a full scale and the last half mile of heading corrections is made with your feet. If it takes more than a couple taps on the peddles at that point it's time for a MISSED APPROACH. Ever notice how many model crashes seem to accure with a continued "POOR APPROACH" There is no disgrace in a "GO AROUND" but there is in a poor landing or crash.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:39 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Hi all. I fly with Luker locally. He is a friend and great guy and flies pretty well. He trained on a buddy box with a competent instructor, and graduated and has been flying on his own for more than a year. What I'll say here is what I've all ready said to him in person and may make sense to many others.  Luker likes a variety of airplanes as many of us do. He doesn't have years of experience however with the wider parameters of a fleet of planes. He does quite well with his sticks but other designs get the best of him, because they present new flight envelopes that he hasn't the experience to cope with.   Probably most of us cut our teeth with one air worthy plane at a time. Luker is a great trader and likes coming up with a new airframe... and it is my opinion that has presented a challenge and frustration. It is hard to stay on top of all the various flight window parameters and maintenance issues.
Good input, he's lucky to have you around.

Luker, don't quit!  I tried 3 times without an instructor, 3 fails. I got an instructor, a good trainer and reliable radio, and rarely crashed afterwards.

I'm like you, I like a big variety of planes. I've noticed something at the club, tho. The best fliers bring just one plane, and maybe a foamy to relax with as the day unwinds. With just one plane, you'll be able to focus and retain what you've learned.  You'll be amazed at how good you feel when you take your bird home in one piece! [8D]
Good luck!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

If I had my Druthers I'd Use a 3 Channel Sig Kadet Senior with a 40 or 45 Nitro motor. Reason 3 Channel with the Throttle and Rudder on the left stick and the elevator on the right. This teaches the use of RUDDER right from the start..
Are you suggesting that he separates the two primary flight controls (pitch and roll) assuming he flies mode II? Learning to use the rudder is different than learning to fly the airplane with the two primary flight controls, regardless of what rolls the plane.

Kurt
Old 02-06-2012, 05:45 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

FYI not everyone knows everything on this forum alto of ppl give misinformation

if I where you I'd take up some indoor flying with foam and go from there
Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 PM
e-sailpilot86

I thought I'd chime in here a bit too!

I've nothing to add regarding the excellent advise above regarding landing approach. Sometimes difficulty with landings when you're learning is simply needing a procedure to focus on. Now for my other bit of advice if you still have some problems after practice.

Consider a motor glider, where you land with absolutely no power, just for practice. You will have a model a that is a bit more at the mercy of the environment and weather, it might help you learn landings a bit better as well.

Compared to other pilots, I seem to land a fair bit slower than others, sometimes I find idle on a glow model too much power, I'd rather dead stick it. Alas, I've never regularly flown models with lots of drag that need the thrust on landing.

Tower hobbies had a 100" kit that used a .15 size motor on the nose and it had landing gear, anyone recall that model?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:01 PM
cutaway

With a stock dihedral Kadet Sr, people could basically ignore the ailerons/elevator and focus on drilling the landing approach with throttle/rudder. Most of the poor landing finals I've seen were due to people jacking around with the ailerons/elevator, when they should have been staying on slope and working the throttle.

Most .40 size trainers seem like they'd be better suited to a .25 or .29
Old 02-06-2012, 06:03 PM
brockettman

ORIGINAL: luker737

I'm 68 years old and I been trying to learn to fly RC air plane. I have crashed about 14 or 15 planes. I do fly without a buddy cord and do pretty good the biggest problem is landing.I seem to try to land to fast and i also have had other problems like putting my planes in tree and losing the wing in the air.I should say that i do fly glow and like it better then electric. what do you think give up the hobby or not?

Nope don't quit.

Stick with glow 'cause you like it, make sure the wing is attached and batteries are charged etc. (pre-flight stuff), stay away from the trees, and do some touch and gos....

Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 PM
straitnickel

Dont quit, get a sim if you dont have one and or get a club instructor. Get some practice, youll be fine in no time.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
fred985

why not a glider with electric power,,,i have several and they are lots of fun. set the throttel just enough to maintain level flight and tose them of level. i learned with a 1/4 busa cfub and still fly it ...bigger is better. i got my private in my 450 stearman. i also had both cataracts done last fall. hell, i almost ran into the back of a big rig before i had them done. i should have known better after near 3,000,000 miles in big rigs,,,,,,the buddy box is the only way to go,,,if i had tryed to fly that stearman all by myself i wouldnt be here today,,haha
Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: cutaway

With a stock dihedral Kadet Sr, people could basically ignore the ailerons/elevator and focus on drilling the landing approach with throttle/rudder. Most of the poor landing finals I've seen were due to people jacking around with the ailerons/elevator, when they should have been staying on slope and working the throttle.

Most .40 size trainers seem like they'd be better suited to a .25 or .29
BRAVO ... Some one that understands aerodynamics.
Throttle controls altitude
Pitch (Eleavator) Controls Speed.
Get a copy of Wolfgangs Stick and Rudder

<form style="margin: 0pt;" action="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/handle-buy-box/ref=dp_start-bbf_1_glance" name="handleBuy" id="handleBuy" method="post">
<label for="quantity">Quantity:</label>
<input border="0" type="image" src="http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/common/transparent-pixel._V192234675_.gif" name="submit.add-to-cart" value="" id="bb_atc_button" class="dpSprite s_bbAdd2Cart " alt="Add to Shopping Cart" title="" />
or
Sign in to turn on 1-Click ordering.
or
<input height="33" border="0" width="160" type="image" name="submit.add-to-cart-prime-buy-box" alt="Add to cart with free two day" rel="primeEvent" src="http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/marketing/prime/prime_add_to_cart_with_free_two_day._V192221409_.g if" />
Amazon Prime Free Trial required. Sign up when you check out. Learn More
<input border="0" type="image" src="http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/common/transparent-pixel._V192234675_.gif" name="submit.add-to-registry.wishlist" value="" id="" class="dpSprite s_add2WishList" alt="Add to Wish List" title="Add to Wish List" />
More Buying Choices
Have one to sell? Sell yours here

Tell the Publisher!
I'd like to read this book on Kindle

Don't have a Kindle? Get your Kindle here, or download a FREE Kindle Reading App.

Stick and Rudder: An Explanation of the Art of Flying [Hardcover]

Wolfgang Langewiesche (Author)
<hr noshade="noshade" size="1" id="product-title-divider" />
List Price: $26.95
Price: $14.90[/b] & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $12.05 (45%)
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Want it delivered Wednesday, February 8?
Order it in the next 21 hours and 24 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.
Details
46newfrom$14.79 75usedfrom$6.79
</form>
FREE Two-Day Shipping for students on millions of items. Learn more

Old 02-06-2012, 06:45 PM
mike109

G'day Lurker

I know just how you feel. I learned to fly at an older age and I received all sorts of advice - most of it wrong for me. I finally sorted it out for my self.

These days I teach the older folk in our club who wish to learn. I suggest that they either build a Kadet Senior from a kit (no ailerons) and put a 40 size two stroke or a 50 to 65 size four stroke in it. I prefer the four stroke for it lower noise and easier handling.

If they don't want to build the Kadet then I suggest the Parkzone Radian electric glider. This is a very nice model for a beginner who is having some difficulties.

Both are largish models - the Kadet is 78 inches and the Radian is probably a little bigger.

Both do not have ailerons. Many people tell you that this is a bad idea but for a beginner who is having problems, the fact the the plane is constantly trying to keep its wings level means there is one thing less to worry about. I set the plane up with the rudder on the aileron stick so that when the pilot wished to move on to a plane with ailerons, the change is very minimal.

I usually start my new "oldies" off on my Kadet Senior. I keep them flying this on a buddy cord until I am happy that they can fly it reasonably well. At this point I move them to a Kadet LT-40 or LT-25. These fly similarly to the Senior but have ailerons and are slightly smaller. I do have a Kadet Senior with ailerons which I can also use.

A Kadet Senior will just about take off by its self and landing is made easy by the fact that it tries to keep its wings level all by its self. Its big down side is that you MUST take off straight into the wind as you don't have ailerons but so long as you do this, it is no problem. This is where having a little extra power comes in handy. I can takeoff my Kadet across our strip quite easily with its Saito 62 four stroke. Cross wind landings are no real problem though it is quite common for the model to be blown over once it has stopped so you always need to turn into the wind as you stop in strong wind.

You did not tell us what sort of plane you have. It would help us to know how to help. As has already been said, most modern ARF trainers are too small, too fast and generally too overpowered for older learners. A Kadet set up as I have described is a far better bet. The Radian is good too.

Sadly the ARF version of the Kadet Senior is not available at the moment but it has ailerons and I still think that the non ailerons version is better for the older beginner.

To date I have taught one bloke in his 40s and he is going well. I am currently working on two in their 50s and they are going quite well but have a way to go yet. My 65 year old has been learning for a year now and can now solo but he slightly damaged his Kadet last week on landing. It is repairable and will be back in the air soon. I have also been approached to help a 70 year old. He has WWI bi-plane fighter (SE5a) which is not really suitable so I will start him off on my Kadet Senior and see how we go from there.

Keep at it, it is worth it.

Michael from Oz

Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

QUIT!  Before you break my record of busted planes!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 PM
HoundDog

Most students try to OVER control the plane ... That plane knows more about flying than any of us... Let it do it's thing ... one just has to give it a little direction now and then. Before I give a student the controls at the beginning of each flight I pull the trainer switch and watch the plane fly for 5 to 10 seconds. And if it fly's straight and level without student input I know that when he's flopping around like a flounder he's over controlling. I then straighten it out give it to him and say don't touch the controls ... See it knows how to fly, now just tell it where you  want the plane to go.. That's what was nice about the old 3 channel High Dihedral planes of the past. You could get all out of shape and having enough altitude, leave the controls alone and it would fly it's self out of trouble.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:00 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day Lurker

Sadly the ARF version of the Kadet Senior is not available at the moment but it has ailerons and I still think that the non ailerons version is better for the older beginner.

Michael from Oz

My latest student has the ARF version and I flew it using just Ruder and elavator ... Flys fine. My Futaba 9cap allows me to disable one or more of the students controls. I'll be disabeling his Ailerons just to see if it makes him a better RUDDER flyer in the end. ust gota prove out my theroy.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

ORIGINAL: luker737

I'm 68 years old and I been trying to learn to fly RC air plane. I have crashed about 14 or 15 planes. I do fly without a buddy cord and do pretty good the biggest problem is landing.I seem to try to land to fast and i also have had other problems like putting my planes in tree and losing the wing in the air.I should say that i do fly glow and like it better then electric. what do you think give up the hobby or not?

hahaha.....take off is optional, landing is mandatory!!...

I sure hope that at 68,,its not pride that is keeping you from being a good pilot?. Because if it is,,,,your pride is gonna be spendy!!!... do yourself a favor,,go to the field, find a nice guy who will help you, hook up the cord, and get some instruction!!...learn a little bit, and then go for it!!.. You'll soon find out that you should have done this about 14 or 15 planes ago!!...Best of luck...Rod...Better yet,, come to Reno..ill have you in a solo in about 4 hours.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
luker737
My Feedback: (11)

After all the advise and don't quit I guess i'll keep trying . I love to fly and i do have a lot of planes and engines but i guess i'll get the stick out and fly it tell i get real good with it .I want to thanks all of you for the input.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

I know people will say you don't have to crash planes to learn. They must not have been at my field because everyone I know has crashed numerous planes. Unfortunately it is part of the learning process. Some day you will be the guy consoling the newbie about the plane he just crashed. It's the circle of life.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM
cordell staker

Don't quit! Get the computer simulator, and then a NICE trainer and a helper from a club. I used to fly with a guy who was 83 at the time (three years ago) and there were only two things he liked to talk about. One of 'em was airplanes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.