Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Slow and Steady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

I run two receiver batteries through a smartfly super regulator, with their miracle switch. The super reg will isolate the bad battery if it occurs. and regulates to 6 volts. It also continually jumps from one battery to the other drawing them down in equal amounts. 7955 is not a high voltage servo and may have issues with unregulated A123 voltage. I don't know if that is an issue for the 7955. If you will use the receiver battery for your ignition, you may want to buy a Ignition Battery Eliminator Circuit, which filters ignition noise that may effect the receiver. By the way, twisted servo extensions are twisted to help eliminate interference, which to my knowledge was of particular concern with 72 mhz radios. I fly with a DLE 55 and a stock muffler. Many still use a tuned pipe but some feel the increased power of a pipe comes at a cost of inconsistent throttle response. Seven channels is plenty if you use a manual choke; I think most use a manual choke for this reason. I do and it works fine. Any standard digital, metal gear servo would be fine for the throttle, with ball links at both ends. One suggestion, if you are new to gas try using a chicken stick. These engines are powerful and can cause injury. The stick may save a finger or two. I have used a stick for some time and find it very convenient and after a couple of flips it felt very natural and stores in my pocket. I have over 370 flights on my Yak and love it. Every one is nervous when they start out. Get assistance especially for your first flights. By the way, Tower has a great online manual for the DLE 55 and it is worth reading. The DA 50 and 3W manuals are also worthwhile. 3W gives detailed breakin instructions. The following is a great thread for gas engines. It is extensive and pretty much on the mark.

Incidentally, most 50cc planes are set up the same basic way. If you don't understand an issue in the EF manual, check out 3D Hobby Shops online manual. It contains some good tips.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86...tm.htm#8673009
Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 AM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

You will love this plane......welcome to the club!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 AM
ArcherIIDriver

ORIGINAL: phatg0nk

Hello Everyone!

I would like to start off saying im new to this thread but have read a good bit of it. If some of these questions were covered in other threads forgive me.
Okay , this is my first gas plane period..Ef Yak 54 -88''
The Arf went together very well so far, and i am very pleased with the quality, and was happy to see unlike the instructions said mine came with wheels and axels as well.

I may ask several in particuliar questions during this but my biggest question is asking for feedback onmy approach as a whole. so here is what i have purchased so far.
1. DLE-55 '' I am on a somewhat limited-budget -not really wanting to discuss engine choice''
2. Hitec 7955Tg servos for all control surfaces- Can i use stock control arms relaibly '' i know i need 4'' offset arm''for pull pull
3. Throttle servo.. have not purchased how skimpy can i go here . do i need high speed for throttle response. 4. Fromeco Extreme geniune A-123 cell 2300mah battery with 2 Fromeco Badger switches< one for Rx and 1 for ignition.
5. New Radio -Hitec aurora w/ 7 channel reciever -is channels enough?
6 I also purchased plenty of hd twisted Extensions

I Do want to Simplify my Set-up as much as possible, to elminate points of failure and user error'' Im so nervous setting it up, and dont want to overlook somthing.

ALL in ALL - I was looking into a 4.8 seperate battery for ignition and using my one A-123 2300mah battery for rx, or buying another A-123 and running duels on rx.. IF i were to go that route should i just use regulator for igntion Note my dle ignition specifies no more than 5 volts or damage will be done
Also read somthing interesting somewhere that there were a few guys running there ignition for DLE's off the balancing tab of A-123s
Do you guys think there is a clear cut answer for any of this .. one 2300mah for rc? duel batteries for rx? if duels should i use regulator and skip the seperate battery for ign and shar one of the 2-2300 packs going to rx .or was my original plan of seperate nicad4.8v battery on ignition and one a-123 2300 on Rx sound the most practical
Last question As far as choke- Is manual with no servo Viable? -
As far as DLE-55, stock muffler vrs pipe..Night and day difference>? or not enough to justify 300 dollars off the get go

Please Remember , Im trying to keep it simple but by no means put myself in danger by doing somthing not worth the saving a point of failure/weight/redunancy

thank you guys
First off, GREAT choice for your 1st gasser! You will love it. To help answer some of your questions:
1) DLE55 on stock muffler-> You will not regret it. IMHO, it is the best value on the market right now.
2) 7955's -> I have had great luck with mine. No issues at all running A123's. Even though they are not labeled as HV, Hitec says that you can go unregulated 2S lipo on them. Do yourself a favor & get some good 1.5" aluminum servo arms. SWB is the gold standard. I really like the Spot On/Secraft arms.
3) Throttle servo -> You will get answers all over the board on this one. The consensus seems to be "metal gear w/ decent speed". I agree with the consensus, but have to admit that I (personally) have had a standard nylon gear Hitec on the throttle of my 88" Yak for a few years now and well over 400 flights.
4) Battery setup -> Your call. To many variables & personal preferences. I love & use A123's. On my 88" Yak ignition, I have a separate 4.8v NiMh, but on my 35%er I run dual A123's to the rx, and pull ignition power off a second lead on one of the rx batteries. Just be sure to use a diode or regulator to get your ignition voltage down around 5-5.5ish volts. I don't use an IBEC & don't really trust them (just my personal opinion). I don't like my ignition power running through the rx before it makes it to the engine.
5) 7 ch is just fine.
6) Manual choke -> perfect.

Hope this helps. Evaluate the info that everyone provides, but in the end be sure that you make your own decisions based on what makes YOU comfortable. Take your time on the build/setup and you will be rewarded with a great flying plane that will last many, many years.

I recently pulled mine out of the trailer for the 1st time in long while. I had almost forgot how much I liked it! So smooth, precise, nimble, etc. You will love it.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:08 PM
phatg0nk

Wow thank you guys for the answers on all my questions!!
Im starting to feel alittle better about this now.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Mikecam

I run 2 A123's but just plug them into my RX in two different slots. They take equal from both and if one goes it does not take the other one out. I used the stock Hitec arms because my SWB servo arms were back ordered for 3 weeks and the plane was ready. Had the 4" offset arm. They worked fine but I think you would get just a little bit more throw out of the SWB's.

I run smoke and even with two Rx battery's, 1800 mAh nimh for ignition (run my smoke pump of it too) and the extra weight for smoke pump tank ect. I come in just a hair over 18 lbs. You know what it still flies great and pulls out of a hover just fine with my DLE 55.
Get ready to fall in love from the very first flight. The plane will feel like it is on rails and there is just nothing to beat that feeling.
I also love going to funfly's and putting my 30% 88" WS yak beside the 95" WS competitor and letting everyone get a good luck at that massive EF cowl and fuse, it dwarfs most of the other 50cc fuses. Ya there are 50cc planes that are lighter because they are smaller. The big fuse just seems to let the plane float around at any orientation.
Do the mod to the DLE 55 carb vent, just run the fuel tubing back into the fuse. I didn't do any film camera stuff.

Enjoy and welcome to the EF family. It isn't huge but boy is it distinguished.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:33 PM
phatg0nk

Whats the point of the mod
Just curious.. bc i have not got a chance to look far into it yet
@Mikecam What size/type batteries did you use for rx btw.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Mikecam

Keeps the motor running the same at any orientation. Get a carb stack for it as well. Keeps the fuel spray inside the fuse down to almost nothing.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:54 PM
phatg0nk

@slow and steady

I actually was just reading through a thread for The EF yak ..And found about 12 pages of talk to a guy that got caught up in one ..Ive had safety on my mind quite a bit over the last few daysAnd you just reminded me again! And i TY..
the guy i spoke of was frustrated of a non starting engine and lost some of his full attention.
For him i think he more less had it tied down with rope, and eased up on the plane with slack in the rope(.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Mikecam

I always use a glove and keep the spark at 11:00 when flipping. That way your hand is clearing the prop when she fires.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM
phatg0nk

All right.My yak is all ready accept the engine..It is on the way
When my DLE-55 Gets here will i be able _or want to use the included standoffs for this model?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:04 AM
q8cub

Thanks guys for this informative thread about the EF YAK 88,

I have a DA-50 engine on my EF YAK. I am still feeling I have to struggle when I pull out of a hover. I am using a menz 23x8 prop.

The DA-50 manual says it can support 24x8 prop. Anyone tried it?

And what about the 22x8? Would it provide better pull out of hover?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:04 PM
phatg0nk

Im currently building my first gas plane on this ef yak 88'' model..Im mounting a DLE 55 rite now..
Im having a bit of problem since it needs to be mounted inverted i take it, the throttle arm sticks out the top right side and needs to be on the bottom left for a st8 shot.
It looks like i could mount it where its at, by turning the servo arm arround and having a major downhill angle from the throttle arm to the servo arm, but looks like it would still work..

Is this a real bad idea, or any one have any remedies, or can tell me what they did?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Rotate the carb.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:56 AM
Slow and Steady

I also rotated the carb, which also makes it alot easier to clean the internal filter. Just take care removing the carb to avoid damaging the gasket.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:05 AM
phatg0nk

Thank you, should i rotate the block underneath it to? other wise the tube doesnt reach without binding, and its hard to tell but looks like the block wouldnt matter what way.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Slow and Steady

I think I just rotated the carb; nothing else. But may have done both now that you mention it. Both tube nipples (for the wahlbro pump are on the same side. If you are concerned about binding, you could use a longer piece of tygon instead of the inplace tube.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 AM
phatg0nk

okay thnx, I actually had already mounted the engine even know i didnt state it like that.so wondering if it somthing i need to worry about .
Not a biggy tho, i think i would know real quick when i go start it today.I wont mount the cowl for a flight or or more probally..
Appreciate your help again.
As many times as ive flipped stuff arround on my glow, and then looked at this and didnt see it~ well doh~
Old 03-31-2012, 11:33 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: phatg0nk

okay thnx, I actually had already mounted the engine even know i didnt state it like that.so wondering if it somthing i need to worry about .
Not a biggy tho, i think i would know real quick when i go start it today.I wont mount the cowl for a flight or or more probally..
Appreciate your help again.
As many times as ive flipped stuff arround on my glow, and then looked at this and didnt see it~ well doh~
You must be the guy that I'm messaging on Youtube. How's it going? I think I rotated the carb and block. I also flipped the throttle arm so it's 180 degrees from original position.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:07 PM
phatg0nk

thankx for your replies, yeah i think that was me.Ive got it ready to maiden now, im just waiting to join a club since its a little big for my area i usally fly at imo.Also hoping to get some experienced gasser guy help me look it over a bit before the maiden.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Slow and Steady

Someone near by who has experience with this size plane is always nice on the maiden. I was lucky enough to have someone with the same plane providing advise.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:43 PM
phatg0nk

Well the maiden was shaky!! was on high rates during take off..I dont think ill ever maiden on high rates again!
My brother was acting silly in the background and also filming with my cell phone for his first time
It wasnt on film but not too long after was able to dial it in a bit and get off some nice fourpoint rolls, hands off inverted flight and mayb even had no coupling in the the knife edges.But i had quite a bit of altitude to really tell for sure
In the end i was seing one hell of a plane shaping up
I did have to add 1 click right aileron and 8 clicks of elevator- it was diving nose diving pretty hard at about 75 percent throttle from regular level flight.. Am i nose heavy more than likly?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqI4C...fCsx00dy8H4uE=
Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Slow and Steady

Sounds nose heavy. Rule of thumb is to trim to level flight when upright at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, then invert and see how quickly it dives. At neutral CG the plane will fly upright or inverted without loosing altitude. If your like some, including me, you will want to maintain a somewhat nose heavy plane to faciiltate landings. At my current CG, mine takes a very small amount of elevator to keep from dropping when inverted. So it is slightly nose heavy. If neutral, the plane may have a tendancy to balloon or slow bounce when landing. As you likely know, if it completely stalls at the height of a slow bounce it may pancake and sustain significant damage. If it appear to be stalling, blip the throttle to maintain needed lift, after the flair. I usually move my batteries back about an 1/8 inch at a time until the CG feels right for my style of flying.

Incidentally, I have three rates, low, high and 3D. I use low for landing, high for general flight, knife edge etc. and 3D for extreme manuevers.

Good luck! You will love this plane when you get it dialed in!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

I'm selling my EF Yak 50CC with DLE55 engine/cannister. $500 complete ready to fly less reciever. Excellent condition. You pick up at my house.
I'm getting out of the hobby. Also, have a 100 Yak for $750. Complete ready to fly (DA100) less receiver.
Thanks
Barry
Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 AM
flygilmore

Great prices.....sorry to see you go!
Old 09-15-2012, 03:03 PM
phatg0nk

@Slow and Steady thank you for the reply..I forgot to update this post.come to find out i was 180 out on my expo settings on my radio..I had previously always used spectrum stuff and was unaware of the negative expo settings on my aurora.So in essence some of my controls were 80 percent more sensitive rather than dulled..Lol what a lesson .Funny thing is if theses one lesson ive gotten in life in my 35 years it has been to never assume.Well there i go again..i assumed all radios were on a positive expo curve only and there was no such thing as making it more sensitive via radio..It almost cost me..Second flights were so much easier on the heart!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.