Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Isn't it amazing.... I remember some years ago watching a guy hover a plane....might have been the first time I saw an RC giant hover....it was a video...when he punched out he also nosed it over so it would start using the wings.....wonder what his thrust to weight was? Nowadays we are pushing the 2-1 rocket like escape.....yeah I saw LXCoup with his DA120 powered EF-110 on a JC 28-10 at about 6500 rpm.....he punched go and it was like a rocket launch, straight up.... We have come a long way..
Old 04-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Slow and Steady

I'm using Red Line at 40 to 1, after 4 gallons of Lawn Boy Ashless at 30 to 1. I should also check the gap on the plug, which I hear should be at .018. It made a big difference on the Funtana. Didn't know about the difference in US octane compared to Europe; thanks for the continued help. This is my first 50cc and it is definitely a work in progress. My goal for a rocket may be misplaced and really not needed for my style of flying. Just looking to get the best I can within the stock muffler configuration. My other plane is a Funtana 125 with a 30cc gasser and it has strong vertical, but isn't nearly as much fun to fly.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:35 PM
ahylt
My Feedback: (9)

Need helps guys:
I have an 88in YAK. I need about an quarter inch up elevator for level flight. At full throttle it dies. I need again about an quarter inch right rudder for straight flight. My CG is on the back side of the recommended mark. The incidence meter won't be here for another week. I need suggestions please.[sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif]
Old 04-14-2011, 07:00 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait for the incidence meter. Check everything including engine thrust. Should have a little right thrust in the firewall. Engine is offset a small fraction of an inch to the left (1/8th to 1/4"). Are you using good aluminum standoffs? If the stand off's are home made the thrust could be off.

Richen the high needle. It may be too lean and running out of fuel in the mix.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:19 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: ahylt

Need helps guys:
I have an 88in YAK. I need about an quarter inch up elevator for level flight. At full throttle it dies. I need again about an quarter inch right rudder for straight flight. My CG is on the back side of the recommended mark. The incidence meter won't be here for another week. I need suggestions please.[sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif]
Definitely sounds lean on the high end. And like Joe said,wait for your incidence meter before you go adding shims to the motor or anything. Most of the 88's needed the stab to be modified to take out the elev.trim. The mod is very easy and only takes about 1/2 hour or so to do..
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Slow and Steady

Mine flies with 5 clicks of up elevator trim, as does a friend with another EF 88" Yak. I thought the incidence might be off, since the cg provides near hands off inverted and upright flight. Didn't want to mess with it, sincel it flies so well as is. Will adjusting incidence make much difference?
Old 04-15-2011, 06:33 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

Mine flies with 5 clicks of up elevator trim, as does a friend with another EF 88'' Yak. I thought the incidence might be off, since the cg provides near hands off inverted and upright flight. Didn't want to mess with it, sincel it flies so well as is. Will adjusting incidence make much difference?
You know, if it makes you feel better, yes. But if it flies well it's really not worth bothering with. I put my 88" Yak on my ping pong table and checked all incidences with a meter. I tweaked both stabs a tiny bit to make them perfect 0/0 (one was -1/2, other +1/4). Then I had bragging rights that I only needed one click of up trim (2 counts in Futaba trim screen) and 0 aileron trim (my wings were perfect 0/0 out of the box). But does it really matter if you need trim? I could have saved all that dinking around of stab incidences. On my 110 I didn't do anything. I just matched the elevator throws and flew it (2 counts left trim, 10 counts up trim in Futaba trim screen). The thing flies beautifully. So I say that's what trims are for (as long as it's not 50 clicks of up trim or stabs are so far off it's noticeable by eye).
Old 04-15-2011, 08:27 AM
ahylt

Oops typo. The plane dives when i go full throttle not dies. I am using the dle 55 with the stock standoffs. Everybody talks how good this flies but my ef 88 edge flies much better, just not happy with it right now. guess i will wait for the incidence meter and see if it straightens out. Thanks guys
Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Slow and Steady

I am definitely enjoying this plane. The blenders, which I just learned are awesome and totally predictable. The inverted flat spins are FLAT! I think I will leave well enough alone regarding the incidence. Thanks for the advise. This is my first 50cc plane and its ability to fly in 15+ MPH winds is great. 82 flights in two months and loving it!

AHYLT, I look forward to hearing of your incidence results. Hopefully, the issue is quickly resolved.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

i had two EF yaks,both needed the incidence tweak a little on the stabs to make them perfect.if you don't mind flying with a little trim, that is all well and good.it's just nice ( for me) to take your hands off the sticks and it flies straight,flat and true with out the control surfaces fighting each other.
i do this on every ARF i buy and it a pretty common problem on all of them,no one builds the way you would build one for your self.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: closetguy

i had two EF yaks,both needed the incidence tweak a little on the stabs to make them perfect.if you don't mind flying with a little trim, that is all well and good.it's just nice ( for me) to take your hands off the sticks and it flies straight,flat and true with out the control surfaces fighting each other.
i do this on every ARF i buy and it a pretty common problem on all of them,no one builds the way you would build one for your self.
I'm 100% with you on all that. I just got lazy on the 110. Got sick of working on it and just wanted to fly. I can always go back and tweak them if I want. It wasn't off by enough to cause any problems. Just a few clicks of trim.

PS: Another note. My 110 came with a incidence checking list. All of them were either 0, 0.1, -0.1, or 0.2. I'd be a little hesitant to make these any better because I don't think I'd have an accurate enough meter or process to do it. One could argue that I might even make them worse. Just some food for thought. It says on my Robart incidence meter instructions that if everything is under a 1/4 degree don't mess with it.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:15 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: ahylt

Oops typo. The plane dives when i go full throttle not dies. I am using the dle 55 with the stock standoffs. Everybody talks how good this flies but my ef 88 edge flies much better, just not happy with it right now. guess i will wait for the incidence meter and see if it straightens out. Thanks guys
That is an engine thrust problem for sure. You have down thrust if the engine is pulling it down. Same thing as going full throttle and and cutting the throttle. It should climb as it gets close to idle. That means your elevators are pulling it up and the engine pulling it down (only at higher RPM's). Get rid of that down thrust.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:34 AM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any ideas?

At Luffenham Airfield where we fly we have never had to keep the noise down so to speak but due to a local complaint the club has adopted the BMFA method of testing ie no more than 82db at 7m aircraft place to N,S,E and W etc.

My set up is DLE55 with full pipe MTW (was advised to get this pipe on RCU and has been brilliant) Carbon prop 23x8.

Anyone got suggestions to make the magic 82db? currently mine at 7m is 89-90db. Now when I tried a 23x10 carbon the engine got a bit hot.

Over to your suggestions!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16286.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1597926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48822.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	1597927  
Old 04-24-2011, 05:55 PM
ahylt

my yak came with the incedence paper to, they were all within 0.1. Got the incedence meter and best i can tell the incedence is just fine. I put 1 washer in to give it up thrust and seemed to help. Going to put 1 more in and see how it does. It finally harried and hovered so its getting better but it still has up elevator trimmed in. Atleast it flew much better.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:33 AM
JoeAirPort

That's great. I assume you're doing this but make sure to re-trim the elevators during flight after you add washers. Then do your thrust test by flying straight and level at high throttle. Then chop throttle. It should maintain altitude for a while (and not gain altitude). Removing the engine up thrust lets you remove some of the up elevator trim you had in there. Sounds like you're getting there.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
flygilmore

Nice looking plane.........just need to scoot that pilot back a touch there!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: fireblade5437

Any ideas?

At Luffenham Airfield where we fly we have never had to keep the noise down so to speak but due to a local complaint the club has adopted the BMFA method of testing ie no more than 82db at 7m aircraft place to N,S,E and W etc.

My set up is DLE55 with full pipe MTW (was advised to get this pipe on RCU and has been brilliant) Carbon prop 23x8.

Anyone got suggestions to make the magic 82db? currently mine at 7m is 89-90db. Now when I tried a 23x10 carbon the engine got a bit hot.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:57 PM
cmircman
My Feedback: (10)

Can anyone please save me some time in reading this thead ad let me know where everyone is setting thier CG at? Thnaks in advance.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:07 AM
JoeAirPort

Depends on your flying taste really. At the front of the range for IMAC, near the middle for 3D stuff. I think mine is at 7 1/4". The range is 6 3/4" to 7 1/2" at wing root.

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/manua...ManualRev2.pdf
Old 05-08-2011, 02:30 PM
cmircman

Thanks Joe I did already download the manual. The problem I am having is with a Dl50 with the stock muffler and standoffs And adding another A123 batter that is not even hooked up I am still way to tail heavy. I am trying to think of was to add usefull weight.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:11 AM
JoeAirPort

I have that same exact engine setup. My ignition battery is next to the tank. The rx batt is behind the wing tube. No pilot or dash. Perfect balance.

Do you have the louver on the cowling? Also what prop and spinner? I can't imagine what would make yours so tail heavy when your setup is just like mine.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:39 AM
cmircman

Thats what i could not figure out. Before I started to build this I skimmed through this thread and saw you setup and thought well this will be easy. I am running a xoar 22x8 prop. I am looking to order a new spinner and a new cowl for this plane as i got this plane used and the cowl has been really cut up.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Slow and Steady

I fly with a DLE 55 with stock muffler and Vess 23 B. My 4" Tru Turn spinner weighs approximately 4 oz. with the lightened back plate. I also reinforced the polystyrene cowl baffle with fiberglass, after the first one developed a crack. I also reinforced the perimeter of any cowl cut outs and added epoxy in the engine box corners. My 2 Life 2100 Mah batteries are located behind fuse rib located behind the wing bolts. People I know, who fly without the spinner, baffle, etc. appear to have the same issue as yourself. My CG is around 7". It was very nose heavy at 7 1/2.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:46 AM
JoeAirPort

Are you using a spinner when you're checking the CG? That affects the balance a lot. My spinner is about 3.5 ounces. It's CF. Also my louver plate added a couple of ounces with the glass I used to reinforce it. What is your CG right now? I think 7.5" is the aft end of the range.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:19 AM
cmircman

You guys hit it right on the nose. I was trying to get by without using a spinner. I never really had a plane that could not balance without a spinner and I was unsure if the spinner would be enough. I was also debating on running a ks86 cannister but it looks like that may move the CT even more aft. Right now it is still tail heavy measuring at 7 1/2 inches.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:22 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: fireblade5437

Any ideas?

You could achieve 82db by going to a Biela 3 bladed CF 22x10.

Biela 2 bladed CF props are pretty quite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.