Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

ORIGINAL: SIX GUNS

WARBIRDRCER, you know that your idea would work all you have to do is put the ( AF.- FG,- FS #'S) ON THE SHIRT SOME WHERE THAT CAN BE SEEN LIKE AN INSIGNA LIKE YOU WOULD BE (111 th) then every body could decide upon possably dividing the US up into QTRS.
so you would be (1st af, 1st fg, 1fs ) then north of that would be (1st af , 2nd fg, # fs) and out side of the US would be the first country that
had come into the spitefire brotherhood so it would be 1st af, 5th fg, # fs (fs, would be your spitfire brother #) so mine would be 1st af
3rd fg , 71fs so that makes me 1371 fighter wing

(JUST AN IDEA)

JIM
I have received some great ideas on how to structure the regions for the Spitfire Brotherhood. As you can imagine it is more difficult than I had first thought. The world is a big place, which makes this a difficult task. Luckily this is partly how I relax and unwind, so keep the ideas coming and I will keep researching all ideas. Not that a previous idea will not be used, or even the possibility of a combination of a few, lets keep dwelling.

Thanks all,
Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Warbirdguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ham639

Progress continues. She is all painted with the exception of a weathering (she will be heavy weathered) and the clear coat.

I took her out is the sun to have a look. Everything is in it except the Pilot, exhaust stacks, ailerlon servos and the new canopy.

She weighs 30 lbs before ballast. Preliminary tests tell me she will need 4-5 lbs depending on location I can put it.

I'm happy with that. My fear she was going to be too light.

To be continued. . .
Two of the most dreaded conditons in Aviation:

1. Too much runway.

2. Aircraft is too light.

You must fix this condition imediatly before you try to fly it. I have several 1 lb lead weights that I keep on hand to add to any of my aircraft that comes out to light.

WBG
Old 02-28-2012, 03:04 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Spitfire Brotherhood,

There is a lot going on with-in our group. I would like to plan a 3 day period where we can fly our Spitfires, we have the shirts to conclude, and figure out the Spitfire Air Force nomenclature and tracking tool. In the mean time let’s keep the positive discussions up and keep those photos come in.

Spitfire Brotherhood #1 out
Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Warbirdguy

You do know, Im just being sarcastic Just kiddin around. I figured some of you would find the humor in that LOL.

I got to paint the letters and starz n barz on this corsair and then I can drag out the spitty Pics will follow soon after.

WBG
Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Warbirdguy,

Looking forward to your Spitfire Build. Which one are you building?

I have to get busy on my CARF Spitfire or miss another flying season with it, and my son wants us to build his TF Spitfire too.

Like you, I have others on the table, a Kellogg AD-5 Skyraider I am scratch building from the plans, damage repairs on others, and a scratch PT-17 Stearman now in fabric I have been needing to paint for a year now.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Spitfire Brotherhood, we have 5 new squadron members who have joined our ranks. This brings our total to 75.5 in our Spitfire Air Force.

Please welcome them aboard.

71 SIX GUNS
72 spadsriver09
73 ForcesR
74 rogera
75 Hairy46

If you would like to join the Spitfire Brotherhood please send me an e-mail at [email protected], send me a PM, or e-mail right here from RCU, or just make your request on this thread. I will track when I receive request and assign you a number based on the order by date and time when received. Who knows, maybe in the future we can have some squadron shirts and/or hats made.

Never can tell when you may run into another Spitfire Brother somewhere, so join now.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To all the new brothers, a big welcome!!!Can not wait for the big brown truck to bring my Top Flite kit!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 PM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sign me up!

I just started to build my H9 Mk2. The Spitfire has always been my favorite war bird and when I started in the hobby a year ago, I knew I would eventually end up with one. Last month I bought the book “Spitfire, the icon of a nation”, and I got so fired up, I ordered the H9.

Pictures to come as soon as I finish building my pride and joy.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 PM
flyntruk
My Feedback: (5)

Yes... the enjoyment of doing something we love .... spent most of my afternoon installing flap and arleion sevos in my wing . Brought it into the living room and laid it on top of the dining room table , Yikes ! It;s longer than the table . Going to try out the new Spectrum retract sevo on this one see how it goes... if I don't like it I;ll put in the E-flites
Old 03-01-2012, 06:09 AM
Warbirdguy

Steve,

I have the CJM MK 22. Im doing it in the all over silver color. It is built but had some bad landing damage that has been repaired. Refitting with 4.2 engine and updated radio. Ill have it out of storage here this weekend and take a few pictures.

WBG
Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Jetjockey_3
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

Steve,

I have the CJM MK 22. Im doing it in the all over silver color. It is built but had some bad landing damage that has been repaired. Refitting with 4.2 engine and updated radio. Ill have it out of storage here this weekend and take a few pictures.

WBG
I would like to talk to you about the CJM Spit. I have one that I am about to start building. I am planning on converting it to the FR XIV with clipped wings. If you have any info regarding the ducting and how well it works please share.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53832.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1734040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11583.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1734041  
Old 03-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jetjockey_3
I would like to talk to you about the CJM Spit. I have one that I am about to start building. I am planning on converting it to the FR XIV with clipped wings. If you have any info regarding the ducting and how well it works please share.
Just FYI, the Mk.21/22/24 Spitfire wing is substantially different from the Mk.XIV in planform. Are you planning to use the CJM wing or build a new one entirely?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Warbirdguy

The ducting for this one is removed. The wings still have it in them but the engine Im planning on using now, most of the cylnder head is going to be outside the cowling So no need for the ducting. Its availiable from CJM for $30 but I chose not to use it for this engine. Now, if you were using a smaller engine, say like a Moki 2.1 glow, then it would be needed.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:40 PM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am looking for advice from anyone with H9 60 equipped with a 2-stroke.

I just received my engine today and I am a little confused on how to install the OS75. If I put it upside down, I would have to really butcher my cowl or find some kind of extension to have the muffler on the side. I am not even sure if they have extensions.

Now, if I install the engine with the cylinder on the side, then I would need a rather long pitts muffler that would go all the way down. I have a P51-60 with that configuration, but the cowl is not that big and the pitts muffler fits very well on the bottom.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Old 03-06-2012, 06:35 PM
jet22b

markhamregular,
I have the Hangar 9 Spit, but I went with a 4 stroke engine. I did not want to butcher the cowl putting in a 2 stroke. In the pictures you see my engine setup. That's a Saito 1.00 with the Keleo Creations, Inc muffler system. I do love it!!! To see the smoke going down the side of the fuse and over the wings, is so sweet. The only holes I had to cut in the cowl is for the head. Now the OS 75 is a very good engine and I have 2 of them. I know this my not help you, but, you may want to go this route and not butcher the cowl to bad!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

Name:	Us54056.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1735897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35560.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1735898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32186.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1735899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88835.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1735900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68344.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1735901  
Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM
dubs1946

Getting there with my Pica 1/5 Spitfire DLE 55 87 inches span.
Two X 2.2 life batteries into a smart fly, Robart retracts . 6 volt NMH.for ignition,24 oze. tank.
At the moment with all major item in its 26 Pounds it should fly around that weight and maybe 30 Pounds when the paint and finish is applied.
The design of the wing makes it very difficult to fit the retracts, i guess when this was designed not many were using retracts.
Millions of parts in the kit with lots of plywood where it was not necessary.
On the box the stated weight is 12 to 14 pounds with a 1.20 to 1.60 engine and i guess fixed landing gear.
Things have changed in the model aircraft world.
I stretched the nose by 1 inch as i could see that it would be tail heavy, it has balanced spot on 6 inches from the center of the wing leading edge, and i have put all the batteries in the nose a bit close to the cdi. but we will see when its fired up.
Has anyone flown one of these with the recommended cg. 6 inches from the leading edge as it seems a bit far back.
Dave.

Name:	Fd91294.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1735941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95799.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1735942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48892.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1735943  
Old 03-07-2012, 01:45 AM
trent smith

Hello Dave , your spitty looks good. I would reccomend you use a 4.8 volt max battery pack max on your ignition as a fully charged 6v pack have been known to kill the CDI on the dle 55 engines. Or use a regulator on the pack you already have. I may be corrected and that is ok if others have have had no issues with the same set up. Keep on truckin. Cheers Trent.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Warbirdguy

I havnt flown one personally, but, we had a guy for years that would show up at our warbird meet with the same one and flew with a super tiger 3000 engine. It flew great. He did add retracts but I dont know if he flew at recomended CG. I havnt seen him in about 6 years now. Not sure what happened to him. Maybe he quit, or????? Ill do some snooping with some friends that live near him and see if he is still around and if so, maybe contact him for that information.

WBG
Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Jetjockey_3
My Feedback: (8)

Chad,

Yes I am aware of the differences between the wings. That is the reason I chose to do the Mk14. I like the original wing design and I have always liked the clipped wing of the Mk V and the MK XII. I have a set of plans for the Platt Mk XII. It shows the option for the MK 14 tail and it has the clipped wing. The only issue is that there are no flaps shown and it lacks the inverted gull at the trailing edge. I will have to modify the plans. I am also aware that the clipped wing on the MK 14 was different than the clipped wing of the Mk V and MK XII. the ailerons are different and the outboard end isn't as close to the tip as the earlier versions.

It is a bit of extra work, but I can't remember the last time I built a plane without modifying something.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jetjockey_3

Chad,

Yes I am aware of the differences between the wings. That is the reason I chose to do the Mk14. I like the original wing design and I have always liked the clipped wing of the Mk V and the MK XII. I have a set of plans for the Platt Mk XII. It shows the option for the MK 14 tail and it has the clipped wing. The only issue is that there are no flaps shown and it lacks the inverted gull at the trailing edge. I will have to modify the plans. I am also aware that the clipped wing on the MK 14 was different than the clipped wing of the Mk V and MK XII. the ailerons are different and the outboard end isn't as close to the tip as the earlier versions.

It is a bit of extra work, but I can't remember the last time I built a plane without modifying something.
Sounds like a great project Cary, thanks for the detailed reply. Having framed up a CJM Spitfire some years ago I can think of no better place for the kit wing than the garbage can!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Me410

dubs1946,
For that it's worth.
Friends of mine years ago in our club had the Pica 1/5 Spitfire,I think it had a G45 and I don't know the weight or CG. But i do recall it had bad habits and was difficult to fly. The owner/builder changed the rudder to the larger Mk9 style with the pointy top. So the overall area of the rudder was increased. The plane flew alot better with that change .

Tom
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45 PM
dubs1946

Hi Tom i will have a look at my rudder.
Hi Trent its a Rexcel and i have been using 6 volts with them for some time with no problems, they do say 6 volts is ok.in the Chinglish instructions. I also have a Rexel on my 3w 85 and have been running 6 volts on that ok .
At 26 Pounds the wing loading is 48oz. per square foot.
My T/F P47 with my 3W85 in comes in at 35 Pounds that has a smaller wing about 85 inches but its very fat and has loads of lift that comes out at 60 oze. per square foot and it flies great.
Thats not to say i don't take spare underpants with me when i fly it.
Also i had a regulator burn out on my 100inch TA152 that killed the battery and thus the aircraft so i no longer use regulators but then again if i had two batteries in the TA 152 as i use now it may have survived, sometimes experience can be hard earned.
Dave.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 PM
77chickenhawk

I guess I should show my brotherhood bro's my spit.. may she rest in peace.. She was a H-9 recovered and painted

Name:	Rp44839.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1736525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46106.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1736526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41677.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1736527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73145.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1736528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62403.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1736529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63846.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1736530  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:17 AM
jet22b

Sorry to hear you lost her. She was sweet!! I hope you will build another one soon!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 03-13-2012, 10:38 AM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

Sign me up too. My Spitfire just arrived yesterday and boy is she a beauty! Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.