Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

In the transmitters you set telemetry alarms on the page for each telemetry device you activate in your system.

It's real easy - most of them have an alarm for a status above or below thresholds. You enable the alarm you want to happen in that event.

Andy
Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 PM
rapega

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I love my XG8....JR and telemetry.
Best transmitter I ever had in my hands.
(Until I bought me a 11X Zero...)

Cheers, Ralf
Old 03-26-2012, 03:10 AM
Franco2fly

Update on using SPM1452 ground Optical sensor for RPM

We had a rainy weekend and a second 1452 showed up in the mailbox on Friday so I took the opportunity to convert another Electric/Telemetered airplane's sensor from electronic brushless to the Optical. After swapping the position of the Brown and Red leads (the ground sensor comes with red on the outside) as well as the Deans connector for a micro connector, I mounted the IR nubs facing the black can of the G-32 motor(had to scrap off the decal). I use the dot in the center and the two strips over the dot going fore and aft. (-O-). Firing up the motor, I was not getting a reading. The reason for this was that I had not made the mount so that the sensors were at 90 degrees looking straight down at the motor's revolving can. Instead, they were at a slight angle. I pass this along for future reference of others. If you want to go this route, make sure that you mount the IR nubs in such a way that they are not angled to the surface. It didn't take me long to discover my mistake, or to cure the mount.

I really like the Optical pickup andread out, as it reads right down to the point where the motor quits responding to throttle input. I've seen it accurately read at 1200RPM. So far I have only used 2 poles for the setting with one dot on the motor can, but I'll bet that it will read even better if there are dots on opposing sides of the can and one uses 4 poles. Since I'm part Russian, I adhere to the Russian Admiral's saying that "Better is the worst enemy of Good enough!" Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union Sergey Georgiyevich Gorshkov

KKKKFL
Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 AM
sam@ata
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please direct me to the post IF THIS has been brought up before. I have done a search in this thread looking for post on amps and current but no results for this question.
Andy!!!!!, yes i know a direct answer isnt possible but, Will there be a sensor in the future for reading AMPS and CURRENT consumption????
The sensors offered to date are great and specially for gas powered vehicles of both air and ground. For my project, a running amp AND mah used will be of bigger benefit
over rpm of a brushles motor, "fuel" level and such. My A10 is using 6s2p on twin 90mm HET fans and its a truely ALL ELECTRIC jet with E-Flite 120 size retracts and lights. With all this juice running through this plane, a more useful sensor would be an amp sensor. The "other guys" have it but i dont have the bank account to change ALL MY JR/SPEKTRUM equipment just to have an amp sensor.
I volunteer to be guinea pig for anything on this project if something is in the pipe already or, i hope not!, still being considerd. Point being that a sensor like this should really be past the "consideration" stage.
STi and iPad ready with basic setup so far for battery temp, flight pack voltage and airspeed but no indication of "my fuel level" in amps or current consumed.
Thanks for the support.
Sam
Old 03-28-2012, 04:51 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sam@ata

Please direct me to the post IF THIS has been brought up before. I have done a search in this thread looking for post on amps and current but no results for this question.
Andy!!!!!, yes i know a direct answer isnt possible but, Will there be a sensor in the future for reading AMPS and CURRENT consumption????
The sensors offered to date are great and specially for gas powered vehicles of both air and ground. For my project, a running amp AND mah used will be of bigger benefit
over rpm of a brushles motor, ''fuel'' level and such. My A10 is using 6s2p on twin 90mm HET fans and its a truely ALL ELECTRIC jet with E-Flite 120 size retracts and lights. With all this juice running through this plane, a more useful sensor would be an amp sensor. The ''other guys'' have it but i dont have the bank account to change ALL MY JR/SPEKTRUM equipment just to have an amp sensor.
I volunteer to be guinea pig for anything on this project if something is in the pipe already or, i hope not!, still being considerd. Point being that a sensor like this should really be past the ''consideration'' stage.
STi and iPad ready with basic setup so far for battery temp, flight pack voltage and airspeed but no indication of ''my fuel level'' in amps or current consumed.
Thanks for the support.
Sam
I use Castle Creations ICE ESC's on a number of aircraft. They store parameters such as RPM, Voltage, Power, Current, ESC Temp, Voltage Ripple, etc., for playback after you land. They store 20 minutes of operation so you need to download the data and clear the memory every so often. It starts a new session every time you turn off the Rx and turn it on again. You can graph one or more of the parameters and print them out or send them to others, via email, who have the the free CastleLink software.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 AM
AndyKunz

over rpm of a brushles motor, ''fuel'' level and such. My A10 is using 6s2p on twin 90mm HET fans and its a truely ALL ELECTRIC jet with E-Flite 120 size retracts and lights. With all this juice running through this plane, a more useful sensor would be an amp sensor. The ''other guys'' have it but i dont have the bank account to change ALL MY JR/SPEKTRUM equipment just to have an amp sensor.
I volunteer to be guinea pig for anything on this project if something is in the pipe already or, i hope not!, still being considerd. Point being that a sensor like this should really be past the ''consideration'' stage.
STi and iPad ready with basic setup so far for battery temp, flight pack voltage and airspeed but no indication of ''my fuel level'' in amps or current consumed.
Thanks for the support.
Sam
Hi Sam,

We announced a 150A current sensor at the Nuremberg Toy Fair this year. When it comes out, you can be sure people will be mentioning it here, and probably even more over on the RCG Radios forum where I usually dwell.

We also announced a dual 15A mAh meter, which would basically be for the guys using with the PowerSafe receivers we make. I haven't seen anything on it myself other than the announcements, but it sounds like something that might fit your big bird.

Got a video of your model? A-10's are one of my favorites. We have a jet meet (Illini SuperJets) in the fall and the big A-10 that shows up is a beaut. E-jets are welcome there, too. Come on down www.elifield.com

Andy
Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 AM
sam@ata

Hey Rich, I am using CC 100 ICE so i do indeed will have info after the flight and will tell me if my calculations are in the ball park. Now if Spektrum hooked up with Castle and there was some way to pull real time from the ESC............well maybe some day!

Andy, Yes i did check the thread in RCG under manufacture support but only 4 pages. Maybe I missed another thread?? Glad to hear of the 150amp sensor and it will fit my needs great. Any lead time on release yet? The lower 15 amp would be fine for the retracts and radio indication but unless your going to have the system be able to send multiable readings of the same scope, then i will opt for the higher one and place it on the main feed line for the batteries.
The plane is a Wowplanes 75" kit and there is several build threads on RCG and rcscalebuilder.com if your interested. On rcscale and RCG i go by sam51401.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
AndyKunz

You'll be able to have both sensors in a plane. The 150A unit reports current, The little guy reports mAh used.

You have to google other forums for info on the devices. Most that I saw were in German.

Andy
Old 03-31-2012, 11:57 AM
sam@ata

I want to touch on the previous topic of the air speed sensor and the connections on the lines. The Robart QD's work great and do the job. I am wondering if BOTH lines need to be ran whenthe sensor is installed in the fuselage. Point being, a pito/static system uses ram air for air speed only and static as reference for altitude and speed. Can the static line from the pitot tube be left off and the the nibble on the sensor be left open and ONLY THE PRESSURE line be used to allow for one disconnect when diassembling?????
Yes, the inside of the fuse would still have to be vented to read static pressure and the static line would not need to be ran all the way out to the pitot tube at the tip of the wing.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to touch on the previous topic of the air speed sensor and the connections on the lines. The Robart QD's work great and do the job. I am wondering if BOTH lines need to be ran whenthe sensor is installed in the fuselage. Point being, a pito/static system uses ram air for air speed only and static as reference for altitude and speed. Can the static line from the pitot tube be left off and the the nibble on the sensor be left open and ONLY THE PRESSURE line be used to allow for one disconnect when diassembling?????
Yes, the inside of the fuse would still have to be vented to read static pressure and the static line would not need to be ran all the way out to the pitot tube at the tip of the wing.
Not the greatest idea. The original Eagletree systems had only a RAM air tube with no Pitostatic tube. Due to erratic readings they got rid of the single tube system fast. Also, if you omit the static line, the fuselage is subject to its own ram air effects from leaks by the wing roots, hatches, or holes for fuel line in the firewall. The only consistent static source is on the prandtle where external effects are cancelled out by each sources close proximity to each other.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:52 PM
sam@ata

Valid point on the erratic readings with being "enclosed" in the fuse. To counter that, how about a static port just like the real planes on the side of the fuse.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Pull Up Now!

Valid point on the erratic readings with being ''enclosed'' in the fuse. To counter that, how about a static port just like the real planes on the side of the fuse.
Sure, you could try that. Many full scale planes have static sources perpendicular to the expected airflow. However, the locations are calibrated, and only arrived at after copious testing. Also, the volumes of the static systems are really big on full scale planes, and that volume usually includes the altimeter, airspeed, and vertical speed sensors. This probably has a capacitance effect smoothing out erratic readings. Also, full scale planes aren't usually subject to the wild gyrations that RC planes see. I've designed in my head a static system that might help. You could have FOUR static ports on the fuse, all tee'd together inside. One port each side, left and right. And another couple top and bottom. This could cancel out any side effects from the outside.

Having said all that, why is it so hard to just run another line to the prandtl tube? You have to do one anyway. And with those robart quick disconnects, it's a breeze.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 AM
sam@ata

Leave it to me to never want to build a STOCK ARF out of the box, add scale details when none required. Im just different and dont like showing up with a cookie cutter plane like everyone else.
Yes i can go with the two line connections but was thinking one less to fool with would be better. As it stands now i have two aileron, one flap(ganged to a matchbox for the four servos), two electric retracts and two light circuits. And for airspeed, two lines! Its going to be very very busy hooking all this up but an alternative is also in mind. Thunderbolt RC in Canada has group type connectors that can be wired as 2, 3, 4 servo connections into one. Just like the standard radio type but one block.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32539.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1745406  
Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Franco2fly

Just my 2c. I blow through a soda straw placed over both holes to test.  Expect 
Airspeeds 60 to90mph

Kkkkfl
Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 AM
Franco2fly

Got out this weekend and flew three planes all with telemetry. Two use the optical pick up for RPM and one uses the Hall effect. I am struggling with the STI application getting the "Spoken" values to feed me data that is "In-flight" usable. Last month, I had Everything turned on and this was an obvious mistake. Too much information. This weekend I just had RPM, Altitude, and Airspeed turned on, and discovered something wierd. RPM was reporting correctly on take off and in the air, however, when I chopped power, and landed, the RPM speak kept reporting the last valid reading, like 2200RPM even though the prop had absolutely stopped. The display on the DX8 was correct, So I didn't know what was going on. This lead to my second discovery.. Thinking that I needed to Re-bind, I plugged in the bind plug using my "Y" connector. Sure enough the Rx, the TM1000, and the STI, all went into fast blink. I pressed the trainer button, and powered up. Now here's what I have not seen in the past, or not noticed. The Rx went solid, The STI light went solid, but the TM1000 light just went out. Thinking that the bind was not successful and maybe I was too close, I repeated the process. Each time I got the same results. Furthermore, I still do not have the STI speaking RPM working correctly after touch down when the prop is no longer spinning. The Box reads correctly, but the speak still announces the last valid RPM. This phenomenom is the same for the Nitro engine as the Electrics so its not limited to the RPM sensor.

I'm gonna do some serious bench testing tonight...

Finally, I was surprised at the head temp for my Sr Telemaster that has a SuperTigre .60 in the nose. I had set the warning to 200 degrees, and despite it being an 80 degree day thought that was well within range. To my surprise, the alarm went off and I found that it was running at 212 degrees. Any one know what a good High end warning should be?

KKKKFL
Old 04-16-2012, 04:40 AM
Pull Up Now!

Franco, 212 is not an unusually high running temperature for the head of a 2 stroke. I convert nitro 4 strokes to gasoline and it's not unusual to see head temperatures in the 270 to 300 deg F range and the engine is surviving just fine. This is not exactly the same situation as a nitro 2 stroke, but it gives you an idea.

So here's what you do. Run the engine at WOT while reading telemetry. The sensor should be closer to the top of the head, where it's hottest. Slowly turn the needle valve inward until the RPM's sag. Set your alarm to a temperature about 10 degs below that.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 AM
Franco2fly

Thanks Dude...
This engine is really old, I've had it since the 70's.   Runs like a champ.  I was thinking of putting the alarm up around 300 and then checking the min max reading to see where it likes to run on the current fuel (15%).

KKKKFL

Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 AM
AndyKunz

You don't have to enable alarms. You can just watch the data and see what you get, and go from there.

Andy
Old 04-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Franco2fly

Yup, think I'm going with 300 for an alarm..  it hit 212 but this was just trucking around the sky at half throttle which is more than i need for the Senior Telemaster.

KKKKFL
Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 PM
JohnB96041

Here is a question. Is there a way to get the flight log files off the iphone and onto a computer? Would love to be able to show the graphs on my PC.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:55 AM
AndyKunz

Not with the current version. In the next version you'll be able to mail them to yourself, or mail your DX10t/DX18 files to the phone for graphing.

Andy
Old 04-18-2012, 07:02 AM
JohnB96041

Thanks, Andy. I can wait.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:53 AM
Franco2fly

As long as we are asking "curiosity" questions, I have one.   Just got my wife an iPad and I was wondering,  "Can I purchase another STi module, and have one module on my iPhone doing readouts to me while I fly, and have the other Extra STi module plugged into her iPad letting her watch the needles and screens?

My gut feeling is that I can do this, but I don't want to spend the bucks for the second STi until I know for sure.  Even then it's kinda overkill.  I do like the nice big screen the iPad offers.

KKKKFL
Old 04-20-2012, 03:58 AM
JohnB96041

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

As long as we are asking ''curiosity'' questions, I have one. Just got my wife an iPad and I was wondering, ''Can I purchase another STi module, and have one module on my iPhone doing readouts to me while I fly, and have the other Extra STi module plugged into her iPad letting her watch the needles and screens?

My gut feeling is that I can do this, but I don't want to spend the bucks for the second STi until I know for sure. Even then it's kinda overkill. I do like the nice big screen the iPad offers.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly: It will work like a dream. Been there, and Done that. Just the expense, but it is worth it. That way you also have a spare, if ever needed.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:45 AM
AndyKunz

It works just fine. You don't even have to bind them at the same time, you can bind one and then the other.

Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.