Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

retrofitting airframe with new motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 AM
KenChoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retrofitting airframe with new motor

Hi everyone,

I would like feedback/thoughts on how easy (or not) it would be to retrofit an airframe that has a Hacker C50 14xl acro (non comp) installed, with a new motor like the Pletty Advance? (Or really any other inrunner with different dimensions-will it be a major, difficult job or relatively easy, and what would be involved?)

Thanks
Old 04-22-2012, 05:36 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: retrofitting airframe with new motor

You really need to tell us what plane, or post some pics. It could be anywhere from using a standard cross-mount and some aluminum spacers, or cutting and re-fitting a firewall.

I was able to modify my plane (very small work space, very limited in motor selection) to accept a geared in-runner and a hacker out-runner with only using a hand-made custom motor mount.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 AM
KenChoo

Hi Joe,

It would be for an Oxai Inspec. No pics as I don`t have the plane, just considering one with an older C50. Cheers
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big IF is whether the Advance + the mount can fit, as the diameter of the motor is bigger. The second concern whether the area is strong enough. Usually it is but because the Advance's main mount is front (about 10-15mm to the front surface of the nose). Sometimes an extra layer of clothes should be applied.

The actual replacement work should be relatively easy:

1. take out the old mount
2. enforce the area if needed
3. figure out the shape of the new mount (two pieces) and build them
4. or optionally go with the mount pieces from f3a unlimited
5. glue in the new mount

I have replaced the mount for Neu motor (mainly to accept the new style Hyde soft mount) and it took me about half day.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:24 PM
KenChoo

nonstoprc,

Could you share a little more about taking out the old mount? What did you do and what tools did you use? Thanks!
Old 04-22-2012, 04:45 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: KenChoo

nonstoprc,

Could you share a little more about taking out the old mount? What did you do and what tools did you use? Thanks!
Ken,

It is relatively simple. I take out one small piece of wood (about 2mmX3mm) at a time with a pair of water-pump pliers (see the pic) from the inner of the mount toward the fuze. I stop when it is about 3-4mm from the fuse body. The key is not to deform any area of fiberglass fuze body to which the mount is attached to. The water-pump pliers work pretty for the job because the jaws are 90degree to the plier handlers. The wood pieces come off easily when you gently twist the handles.

The remaining material should be smoothed out (maybe another 1mm thick) with a Dremel tool and a suitable grinding wheel. I kept about 2mm material intact to avoid weakening the fuse.

Not sure what kind of material is in the plane you plan to work on. The mount pieces I have are soft ply wood and the method described worked well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26779.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1753761  
Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Sparkler

Ken,

The changeover would be relatively easy.

The only part glued into the airframe for a C50 installation would be the rear mounting arms that are basically there for attaching  to the rear motor support bracket on the back of motor.

The front of a C50 install consists of a mounting plate screwed onto the nose of the airframe that is also screwed onto the motor, some guys like to have rubber isolators in there too but its unnecessary. All you would have to do to remove the motor would be to undo the 4 screws holding the motor mount plate to the airframe and the motor would just come out.

Any new motor that is forward mounted like a Plettenberg Advance or Hacker Q80 will just mount onto the nose area although you will have to drill new mounting holes and if you wanted you could just leave the C50 rear mount there unused and it wouldn't even be in the way I'd suspect.

Having said all that I have a C50 Acro and they are a great motor and work well and I would stick with it if its installed the the plane now.

Cheers.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:28 PM
DAMBUSTER

Ken Hi,An issue that has not been raised is that of spinner size.If the Inspec uses a spinner less than 82mm fitting the Advance motor may not be possible.I have recently modified a plane with a 70mm spinner from IC to Hacker C50 and this was "tight",I know for certain,that my Advance would not have fitted.
I know this particular model and it is immaculate,it also flies superbly with the current set up,in fact it can be flown too fast !!
Remember...........................if it aint broke................don't fix it !!!
Cheers Dambuster.