Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Problems with HPI Trophy Truggy Flux

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 AM
mycarisaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Problems with HPI Trophy Truggy Flux

Yeah the spider gears in the diffs are not that good. Thankfully there are hardened gears avalible for only $11. I have only broke the rear gears but replaced both front and rear(still need to do the center) I have also broke the rear shock shafts but upgraded to the 3.5mm upgrade shafts that are hardened also. I didn't have issues wth the stock axles as I didn't run them but a few times. I switched mine out to the sportwerks standard 1/8th scale axles and picked up a set of d8t 17mm hexes. My truck has been pretty solid for a $400 1/8 the rtr tuggy.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 PM
ldmarkey

Appreciate the info a lot. Still real close to melt down about this product.

You know when it ran I enjoyed . power great, balance great, just raw bash material!.

Helps knowing that when HPI played dumb with me I know that there is an actual problem with this rig.

Any hints or sites where to purchase the gears , axle shafts , etc. I have looked with all the big boys like Robinson and so on. Thanks again and take care.

ld markey(another guy in michigan with a broke HPI)
la salle, mi
[email protected]
Old 04-21-2012, 03:01 PM
mycarisaser

here are the hardened diff gears. They are for the lightning series(which is the same truck as the trophy truggy) and even says it on the package
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ntial-Gear-Set

As for stock axles. For the front CV chafts the losi lst ones are the same. If you want to upgrade to standard 1/8th scale axles get the sporwerks mayhem (thats what I bought) or I believe the sportwerks termoil axles are the same. If you need rear ones Ebay has them.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:29 PM
ldmarkey

Really appreciate ya helping out . thx for taking the time and helping me out. Will go to A Main tonight . Smooth trails. Damn! thats that scaler/crawler in me. peace.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:32 PM
mycarisaser

If you need stock axles let me know I have mine im not useing. Also the hardened gears have a much better mesh in the diffs than the stock gears. Well worth the money
Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
mycarisaser

WOW called hpi today asking if they had a cv rebuild kit avalible for the trophy truggy. I broke the barrel that holds the joint together. Anyways man that guy was like talking to the wall. He told me if I didnt have a part number for the cv rebuild he couldnt help me???? I told him thats why I was calling as the manual SUCKS for the truggy and it doesnt show one. So was asking if the part was avalible to fix my cvds and if so whats the part number if not when will you have parts for me to buy a new set of cvds. The guy was NO HELP AT ALL . I was OK that the part broke but now I am annoyed that the guy was so clueless and offered no help at all.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 PM
skidoo06

mycarisaser, now i know why you wanted my original driveshafts. isnapped three D8T driveshafts since we traded axles. Ibought Pro-Line Trencher X's for the truck. I love the tires, but my truck is taking a serious beating with the trenchers on it. I have no idea what driveshafts to use for this truck. Ican't find original axles anywhere. Any ideas for shafts that might fit? I'll just buy some more D8T shafts and use the original tires until i figure something out.

Oh, by the way, ldmarkey, did you get my email? Inever got a reply from you.

I'm really thinking about selling this truck and buying a savage flux hp. wanna_be_racer, are you interested? Ihave one lipo for the truck. It's a really solid truck with the original tires.

Here's 2 pics of the truck with the trenchers. It looks really mean.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 PM
mycarisaser

WOW you broke the axles. I had that issue with my erevo. I broke very cv shaft I bought for it with 40 series tires on it. I went to a smaller lighter tire and I finlly got them to stop snapping

Your truck does look nice though
Old 04-28-2012, 04:46 PM
pyromatic177

those tires cause a lot of beating on every truck, it's cause they're big
Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 PM
gideonkjv

New to the forum. I just bought a Trophy Truggy. I have only bashed it for a couple of days (one of which was at the race track) Took a serious beating, but haven't broke anything YET. Actually seems like a really solid truck with a few upgrades. There was a few things I did to the truck before I even turned it on. First I went through and tightened EVERY screw and applied lock-tite to metal/metal screws. I replaced the screws on the back of the shock towers (the tall round hex screws right next to the shock caps) because I noticed that they rubbed against the shocks when in full compression. And of course I tightened the wheels.

I am surprised that people are breaking the ends of the axles (rear) as they are IDENTICAL to the axles used on all the savage 25, 21 and I have yet to break any of those on my 25, and I have put those trucks through hell!! The rear axle threads/width are also the same size as the XL (except for length) and I have yet to break any of those on my XL either- so it is very curious?? So, yes, as far as rear axles go- the stock savage 25 axles will fit the truggy (they look a bit different right by the thread, but they WILL fit). Unfortunately the dog bones don't.. bummer!

Ohh, and skidoo... you will CONTINUE to break axles so long as you keep those tires on your truggy. More wheel base/bigger tire=broken axles AND diffs.

I am curious though as to where people have been successful at finding parts. I have heard some other brands being thrown around, but still not sure? I dont mind using dog-bones in the rear, but I have yet to find a replacement part?

As for stock axles. For the front CV chafts the losi lst ones are the same. If you want to upgrade to standard 1/8th scale axles get the sporwerks mayhem (thats what I bought) or I believe the sportwerks termoil axles are the same. If you need rear ones Ebay has them.
Are these the sportwerks mayhem CV's you are talking about for a direct replacement?www.ebay.com/itm/Sportwerks-SWK3282-Fr-or-Rr-CVD-Axles-Mayhem-ST-New-/270961330314 And where did you find rear dogbones?

Look forward to being on the forums! Thanks!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:09 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what its worth, a friend of mine has the nitro version and has had the same problems as the OP and more.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:31 AM
mycarisaser

The Op had only a few issues. The diffs. Well its not the materieal its the poor shimming job from the factory. Though the upgraded hardened gears fit much better and are only $9 . 2nd was th eaxles. Luckly I havent had an issue but hey I upgraded mine to standrd 1/8th scale anyways.
Me I had another issue instead of axles, My rear shock shafts broke twice on some bad landings. Replaced with hardened 3.5mm shafts ($11) and all is now good. This is a solid truck and built well. This is th esame truck as the lightning stadium whick weirdly enough if you read up on it also had poorly shimmed diffs , shock shaft issues and also read about axles breaking on it. Over all though everyone seemed to like it and talked about how durable it is. This truck has hadndled the concete scate park and the dunes with no issues. My erevo wouldnt do that without breaking the chassis or cvds. I had a savage 2.5 and had nothing but tranny and diff issues with it (though they have been upgraded since them) my sons emax isnt that durable, My losi 8ight had a few issues too as did my lst2, My rustler had a few issues, as did the xxx-tss and rustler and b-4. I have had others too. There is not an rc truck no matter the price that doesnt have a few things that can be improved apon. LUCKLY the trophy truggy has only a small few things that it needs and the parts are cheap. Also so is the truck. I cant say that for a few others I have had and the parts to fix them were not so cheap or even avaible

This is a $400 rtr brushless 1/8th scale truggy and only needs a few $9 and $11 parts to make it a very tough truck. Its not a bad deal.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 AM
Foxy

Its not a solid truck and its built poorly, at least the only one I've seen is. The problem is not value for money, although I totally disagree that this truck represents good value for money when you can have the Thunder Tiger MT which is based on a truggy for $50 more, one of the best basher platforms there is, the problem is that HPI stuff is supposed to be plug and go for newbies. This particular model has enough innate flaws to put newbies off the hobby for good. My friend who bought one isn't experienced. I spent more time when we were bashing together fixing his truck than I did driving my own. He now wants a helicopter. As HPI RCs go, this is a pretty bad one.

Even my Savage flux has disappointed me in its durability, and the little Flux XS is a bit of a joke with its underspecced electronics and parts which literally don't fit. I'm starting to have to say to people that HPI is not synonymous with durability any more, not with better designed, better built cars like the OFNAs flying around for less cash.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:13 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: gideonkjv

New to the forum. I just bought a Trophy Truggy. I have only bashed it for a couple of days (one of which was at the race track) Took a serious beating, but haven't broke anything YET. Actually seems like a really solid truck with a few upgrades. There was a few things I did to the truck before I even turned it on. First I went through and tightened EVERY screw and applied lock-tite to metal/metal screws. I replaced the screws on the back of the shock towers (the tall round hex screws right next to the shock caps) because I noticed that they rubbed against the shocks when in full compression. And of course I tightened the wheels.

I am surprised that people are breaking the ends of the axles (rear) as they are IDENTICAL to the axles used on all the savage 25, 21 and I have yet to break any of those on my 25, and I have put those trucks through hell!! The rear axle threads/width are also the same size as the XL (except for length) and I have yet to break any of those on my XL either- so it is very curious?? So, yes, as far as rear axles go- the stock savage 25 axles will fit the truggy (they look a bit different right by the thread, but they WILL fit). Unfortunately the dog bones don't.. bummer!

Ohh, and skidoo... you will CONTINUE to break axles so long as you keep those tires on your truggy. More wheel base/bigger tire=broken axles AND diffs.

I am curious though as to where people have been successful at finding parts. I have heard some other brands being thrown around, but still not sure? I dont mind using dog-bones in the rear, but I have yet to find a replacement part?

Are these the sportwerks mayhem CV's you are talking about for a direct replacement? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sportwerks-S...-/270961330314 And where did you find rear dogbones?

Look forward to being on the forums! Thanks!
trust me on this under brushless power those things will twist like pretzels lol
I converted an old savage to electric and in 15 minutes I had to swap out all the dogbones(and driveshafts) to the flux ones cause 3 of them twisted up, and 1 snapped clean in half. The drive shafts were so warped it wasn't funny. And that was on 4S with a 2000kv motor [:@]

I'm agreeing with foxy on HPI no longer being that durability isn't their forte anymore honestly I think they lost it trying to compete with traxxas. I've owned 9 HPI's and the last few I've owned were 100% disappointments durability, and in electronics wise. Last HPI I bought was the recon the steering servo failed 4 mins into its 2nd run, and caused my truck to flip into a pole. I broke a shock tower, the rim, and arm to replace those 3 parts from HPI I would have had to spend $90... for a $120 RTR.... I bought a complete aluminum upgrade kit for the RC its a clone of (which costs HALF the price of the recon, and is made out of better material) for $50. Get it up and running again car falls 2 feet, and the part that hold the front arm snaps off... If I didn't spend so much on the RC already I would have chucked it. Now it sits on a shelf, and I got a RC18 for $10 more than the recon cost...(I know this part was OT but it an example of poorly built HPI RC's) I've also yet to hit the differential issue seeing mines not held together in one piece long enough(but there were at least 7 ppl having diff issues last I looked on the mini board).

As for a few $9, and $11 parts needed here and there that shouldn't be the case when the RC is brand new, and geared at people new into the hobby. The damn gears seeing they KNOW they are an issue(if they didn't they wouldn't have made them) should be in the damn RC right away. Its not like this is a 100% new design they took a couple year old HB model, and slapped HPI on it so the issues should have been worked out.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 AM
gideonkjv

I think there is a lot of opinions being formed about this truck when it is brand new. Most people i have talked to who OWN the truck have very much enjoyed it. Like I said in my previous post- I bashed mine last weekend really hard- tumbles, bad landings upside down, cartwheels, and some pretty decent air on the jumps, and I didnt break anything (ALL STOCK). As a matter of fact.. I think I was the only one who DIDNT break anything last weekend!

I think all things said, I have had a few dissapointments with some of HPI's kits in the past (mostly dealing with ESC's-which technically is not all their fault) but honestly this to me is not one of them. I have never owned an RC that didnt need SOMETHING to bring it up to par. Ijust know, that everywher you turn, there is always those FEW people who continually have problems with a certain kit, but I just honestly think its part of the hobby. I took part in my local monster jam intermission show with about 12 other people and we ALL broke something!! BUT I do agree that some kits have a stronger smell of "lemon" then others. My wife LOVES her savage XS, but it has taken a few parts to make it a good truck, BUT since it was only $250 to start with.. it didnt bother me at all. The ESC going up bothered me, but HPI was quick to get us a new one and now she is back up and running again, and STILL loves her truck.!

Anybody shopping around for truggies will notice that there are not many 4 wheel drive Electric 1/8 scales out there, ESPECIALLY under $500, so the trophy seemed like a good choice considering it was only $430 after shipping, considering I MIGHT have to throw some parts at it. All in all, Ihave, and do own quite a bit of HPI products and beat the hell out of them, and have had pretty damn good success with all of them- with the exception of my wifes Savage XS ESC going up in smoke! And I have had pretty good success and good experiences with HPI support. So to each his own.. If this truggy ends up giving me problem after problem, then Iwill make my voice be heard, but in all honesty it is still VERY new, and not really enough information to make informative judgements about its durability and success, and so far its performed beautifully. It handles VERY WELL, plenty fast, and seems very sturdy. One thing I WONT do is come into a forum and complain about something I broke on a kit becuase of the way I drive, or because I broke an A-arm or axle after landing a large jump. If you are the type of person who bashes a lot- puts performance upgrades, and bigger tires on your kits, you need to be ready to buy parts and hop ups to handle the abuse. When I first got into this hobby I had the same questions about durability of kits, my buddy who runs the RC show at the monster jams, and is the shop mechanic at the local hobby store told me to quit worrying about it, get something you like, and DONT get into the hobby if you are afraid to pay money for maintenence and parts! He said my driving habits and ability to maintain upkeep would dictate how much money I spend in the hobby, and It has held true to this day.

Ultimately though for me, the only way I can afford this hobby is by utilizing Tower Hobbies 3 pay plan when buying a new kit. I considered the MT4-G3, and even the MUGEN but they have not been in stock and the MUGEN is showing out of stock until June, and the MT4 until late May (maybe) and they are not even on the 3 pay plan, and I would have to convert the Mugen to Electric ((which Ieventually want to do, because that chassis is a thing of beauty))!! Ieventually want to get the MT4, but Its hard for me-probably many people to come up with $550 up front. I have to wonder how many people are in the same boat as me.

I just hope this thread doesnt turn into one of the hundreds of others I have seen where it turns into a pointless bashing match about what kit is better, etc etc.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM
116forlyfe

ORIGINAL: skidoo06

I'm sorry to hear that you're having the same problems. Hopefully, if enough people tell HPIabout the faults and weak points of this truck, maybe they will revise it.

Iam actually having really good luck with my truck right now, after doing some upgrading.

ldmarkey, If you want, I could make a list of parts Iput on my truck to make it stronger, either on here or in an e-mail. Ialso bought mine for a nice basher that isn't a big monster truck.

Ithink i'm getting to the point where i've fixed most of the weak points, and once you can drive it for a whole battery cycle and not break it, it's actually a really fun truck.

When Ifirst got the truck and it was falling apart on me, I just wanted to get rid of it, and i'm guessing you're feeling the same way. But if you still like the truck, Isuggest upgrading it with the parts Ibought for mine. Then you won't have to keep e-mailing HPI for replacement parts that will just break again anyways.

whats up this sucks to read all this i found one of these on craigslist and got it from the guy..im waiting for it to get here so i wanna be prepared to do the nessary up grades asap please email me a parts list of everthing i need at [email protected] i would really appershate it.. hope i dont have all the same trouble.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 AM
BrokenRecord

Sorry to bring the thread back from the dead. I just purchased an HPI truggy with some similar issues to the OP, I made a new thread about it so please check it out before you buy one!.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:53 PM
aking720

hey guys, i know this is a little bit of an old thread and all but i was wondering if any of your guys that had problems with your truggy's got them fixed after?
I am thinking about getting one of these as my first 8th scale basher so i would like to know what you guys think. right now, i am debating between this and the thunder tiger mt4 g3..
Thanks
Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: gideonkjv

I think there is a lot of opinions being formed about this truck when it is brand new. Most people i have talked to who OWN the truck have very much enjoyed it. Like I said in my previous post- I bashed mine last weekend really hard- tumbles, bad landings upside down, cartwheels, and some pretty decent air on the jumps, and I didnt break anything (ALL STOCK). As a matter of fact.. I think I was the only one who DIDNT break anything last weekend!

I think all things said, I have had a few dissapointments with some of HPI's kits in the past (mostly dealing with ESC's-which technically is not all their fault) but honestly this to me is not one of them. I have never owned an RC that didnt need SOMETHING to bring it up to par. I just know, that everywher you turn, there is always those FEW people who continually have problems with a certain kit, but I just honestly think its part of the hobby. I took part in my local monster jam intermission show with about 12 other people and we ALL broke something!! BUT I do agree that some kits have a stronger smell of ''lemon'' then others. My wife LOVES her savage XS, but it has taken a few parts to make it a good truck, BUT since it was only $250 to start with.. it didnt bother me at all. The ESC going up bothered me, but HPI was quick to get us a new one and now she is back up and running again, and STILL loves her truck.!

Anybody shopping around for truggies will notice that there are not many 4 wheel drive Electric 1/8 scales out there, ESPECIALLY under $500, so the trophy seemed like a good choice considering it was only $430 after shipping, considering I MIGHT have to throw some parts at it. All in all, I have, and do own quite a bit of HPI products and beat the hell out of them, and have had pretty damn good success with all of them- with the exception of my wifes Savage XS ESC going up in smoke! And I have had pretty good success and good experiences with HPI support. So to each his own.. If this truggy ends up giving me problem after problem, then I will make my voice be heard, but in all honesty it is still VERY new, and not really enough information to make informative judgements about its durability and success, and so far its performed beautifully. It handles VERY WELL, plenty fast, and seems very sturdy. One thing I WONT do is come into a forum and complain about something I broke on a kit becuase of the way I drive, or because I broke an A-arm or axle after landing a large jump. If you are the type of person who bashes a lot- puts performance upgrades, and bigger tires on your kits, you need to be ready to buy parts and hop ups to handle the abuse. When I first got into this hobby I had the same questions about durability of kits, my buddy who runs the RC show at the monster jams, and is the shop mechanic at the local hobby store told me to quit worrying about it, get something you like, and DONT get into the hobby if you are afraid to pay money for maintenence and parts! He said my driving habits and ability to maintain upkeep would dictate how much money I spend in the hobby, and It has held true to this day.

Ultimately though for me, the only way I can afford this hobby is by utilizing Tower Hobbies 3 pay plan when buying a new kit. I considered the MT4-G3, and even the MUGEN but they have not been in stock and the MUGEN is showing out of stock until June, and the MT4 until late May (maybe) and they are not even on the 3 pay plan, and I would have to convert the Mugen to Electric ((which I eventually want to do, because that chassis is a thing of beauty))!! I eventually want to get the MT4, but Its hard for me-probably many people to come up with $550 up front. I have to wonder how many people are in the same boat as me.

I just hope this thread doesnt turn into one of the hundreds of others I have seen where it turns into a pointless bashing match about what kit is better, etc etc.
new in the US.. not new in Europe. it's a total pile of a truck. it was when it released in Europe and they did not change it over 18 months later for the American market.

let me state that again fir any others who may think the same thing. the trophy range is NOT new.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

new in the US.. not new in Europe. it's a total pile of a truck. it was when it released in Europe and they did not change it over 18 months later for the American market.

let me state that again fir any others who may think the same thing. the trophy range is NOT new.
yup the US just gets the junk HPI has left over from Europe

as for aking720 go with the mt4 G3 or convert a nitro truggy over.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 AM
skidoo06

The trophy truggy is junk out of the box. If you're willing to work on it, it isn't too bad, but i've seen the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 in action and it is way better than anything HPI has. It is a completely awesome truck out of the box. You'll probably break a couple hinge pins or a-arms, or sometimes a body mount if you flip it over. but that's not bad at all compared to the trophy truggy. The MT4 is an amazing truck and i wish i bought that instead of the trophy truggy. I got my trophy truggy pretty solid now. I managed to put together axle parts from 2 or 3 different brands and i now have pretty indestructible axles and shafts.

If you do get the trophy truggy and you're breaking stuff on it, pm me and i can most likely help you out. I did hours and hours of research on this thing and found some solid parts that can make this a decent truggy, if you're willing to fork out the cash.