Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA, What are you Thinking?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA, What are you Thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMA, What are you Thinking?

Yes, AMA, just what are you thinking? Just did the questions on the AMA Today survey. You are searching for all my other interests concerning cars, boats, and several other activities that I have ZERO interest in. What are you thinking? [:-]

Are you thinking that since you will very possibly be rolling in the dough as the CBO of RC aeromodeling, you can really bring all the other sheep into the barn? Aeromodelers have built this AMA thing so now are you thinking to see just how far you can go with all the other groups you can get herded up?

In reality, such thinking is not all that bad as AMA would then be a much stronger organization, however it kind of hurts to know that we aeromodelers built this organization and now you appear to just want us to be a small part of the pie. AMA, you sure know how to apply the pressure on those that really built this Trojan Horse. The possibility exists that the aeromodelers may well break out of the horse and do battle.

What will you be thinking next? Will all those trains in the northern basements be another source to conquer? Don't they have their own magazines? Is the age old question again raising its head: "How much power does it take to satisfy a man (group)?" Answer: "Just a little more." When and where does it stop?[>:]
Old 06-07-2012, 09:38 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA, What are you Thinking?

Would you provide a link to that survey, Hoss?

I tried to navigate to the survey within the AMA site, but while the site has improved it still could use some tweaks re navigating it.  I did manage to get to AMA Today via use of the search function provided, latest issue showing is for May.  Tried the link to the survey therin (though I think it is the same survey AMA sent to members via Email broadcast) and got into an endless survey relating to Survey Monkey's own business rather than that of AMA.  I quit in disgust before finding an end to it, if there is an end.

CJ
Old 06-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Troll post.  Please ignore.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:46 AM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Yes, AMA, just what are you thinking? Just did the questions on the AMA Today survey. You are searching for all my other interests concerning cars, boats, and several other activities that I have ZERO interest in. What are you thinking? [:-]

Are you thinking that since you will very possibly be rolling in the dough as the CBO of RC aeromodeling, you can really bring all the other sheep into the barn? Aeromodelers have built this AMA thing so now are you thinking to see just how far you can go with all the other groups you can get herded up?

In reality, such thinking is not all that bad as AMA would then be a much stronger organization, however it kind of hurts to know that we aeromodelers built this organization and now you appear to just want us to be a small part of the pie. AMA, you sure know how to apply the pressure on those that really built this Trojan Horse. The possibility exists that the aeromodelers may well break out of the horse and do battle.

What will you be thinking next? Will all those trains in the northern basements be another source to conquer? Don't they have their own magazines? Is the age old question again raising its head: ''How much power does it take to satisfy a man (group)?'' Answer: ''Just a little more.'' When and where does it stop?[>:]
CHANGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:42 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too took the survey and was confused as to why all the reference to cars, boats, etc.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:30 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

they are contemplating trying to bring those folks into our fold. not an overly new idea, but, when yer looking at any way to increase membership ...
Old 06-08-2012, 01:31 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: tailskid

I too took the survey and was confused as to why all the reference to cars, boats, etc.
I think it relates to grand designs for fillin' the till at IAC.

If so, I'm all for it. If IACcan pay for itself and maybe even produce a surplus, the ECwill have to find other reasons for stonewalling regional flying sites (other than competition for gate draw with IAC, that is).

CJ

ps: Hoss, I got the Email (don't need the URL I asked you for) and replied in tune with above. Sorry, we agree on a lot of stuff, but not this time

Old 06-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Live Wire

Hos
I think the AMA has lost purpose and meaning to what they stand for and represent. The new AMA is out for what they can get There are to many HIGH paying jobs in AMA that people need more money to pay thier top people. But what are they doing for their money spending more money.
What am I doing here again
Larry K
And if I remember right , They have always had some kind of interest in Rockets ,cars and boats
Old 06-08-2012, 02:34 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

Hos
I think the AMA has lost purpose and meaning to what they stand for and represent. The new AMA is out for what they can get There are to many HIGH paying jobs in AMA that people need more money to pay thier top people. But what are they doing for their money spending more money.
What am I doing here again
Larry K
And if I remember right , They have always had some kind of interest in Rockets ,cars and boats
You remember right, Larry. It was in DB's grand plan/pitch (to the EC echelon at least, from a source that was so placed at the time and whence the trivial factoid came to me - not public AFAIK) from the onset for the exodus to Muncie that it would be a hobby Mecca including 'other' modeling assns. that would share in paying the overhead. Nuthin' new under the sun. DB couldn't make happen when he wore the crown, appears his successor(s) are going to have a go at something similar.

CJ

Old 06-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

If so, I'm all for it. If IAC can pay for itself and maybe even produce a surplus, the EC will have to find other reasons for stonewalling regional flying sites (other than competition for gate draw with IAC, that is).
CJ
ps: Hoss, I got the Email (don't need the URL I asked you for) and replied in tune with above. Sorry, we agree on a lot of stuff, but not this time[img][/img]
Thanks Tailskid for the confirmation and even to CJ, same. I looked all over for the item and could not find it again. I thought maybe I was having a bad dream. [:'(]

Now, CJ, having someone disagree with me is almost an hourly thing. No problem there. However CJ, think on this one. >>>>>

All those car folks and those boat folks come into AMA as members. Boats are a big thing and there are umpteen car people. Twice I was into a situation with land driver people. One was on a current excellent Flying Facility. We set up a fine car track. They got mad because the airplane fliers would not clean up their messes. They left all kinds of mess including beer cans scattered. Crap happened, they left and we had to clean up the whole track thing. That club is Jetero RC Club, www.jetero.com. It would not be there had I not financed it. That is simply background
There is another story at a very big club that I belong to. The grounders have set up a large area for tank battles. It has not been used since last year and it looks like there is another clean-up that I will be involved in.
Now think on these facts. (And my experience is that these items are FACT! )

If AMA takes on all these others, then these others become AMA members. AMA members can become Leader members. Leader Members VOTE on Bylaws. All Members vote for officers
They can then take over the AMA Executive Council. Darn few AMA modeler members vote. We flyboys can well become secondary to the boaters and car drivers. Now do you think they will be worrying about your regional flying sites? I don't. Their dirt tracks, indoor facilities, and their expenses will be before your facilities. [:@]

I also noticed that AMA is coming out with a new revised magazine. Right now I forget if its electric or park flier. Anyway your member dues are investing into another publishing spread. Now comes the boating, the cars and all those people, airplane fliers will be just another little group. Then the corporate name change will have to happen to cover all interests. Goodbye Academy of MODEL AERONAUTICS!!!!

For years now I have been preaching that MA should be profitable. Well I bet it will be when the entire publishing company is sold out to some "Investors" with a contract to provide AMA - or whatever it is called then - their magazine services. Any guesses who the stockholders will be? [&o]

CJ, I hope you are more correct than me, but business is business and this trail has been a long time unfolding. It really doesn't take a genius to analyze where the hitching post is.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Live Wire

I thank YOU
At my age I thought I had OLD TIMERS DS.
Larry K
Old 06-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

If so, I'm all for it. If IAC can pay for itself and maybe even produce a surplus, the EC will have to find other reasons for stonewalling regional flying sites (other than competition for gate draw with IAC, that is).
CJ
ps: Hoss, I got the Email (don't need the URL I asked you for) and replied in tune with above. Sorry, we agree on a lot of stuff, but not this time[img][/img]
Thanks Tailskid for the confirmation and even to CJ, same. I looked all over for the item and could not find it again. I thought maybe I was having a bad dream. [:'(]

Now, CJ, having someone disagree with me is almost an hourly thing. No problem there. However CJ, think on this one. >>>>>

All those car folks and those boat folks come into AMA as members. Boats are a big thing and there are umpteen car people. Twice I was into a situation with land driver people. One was on a current excellent Flying Facility. We set up a fine car track. They got mad because the airplane fliers would not clean up their messes. They left all kinds of mess including beer cans scattered. Crap happened, they left and we had to clean up the whole track thing. That club is Jetero RC Club, www.jetero.com. It would not be there had I not financed it. That is simply background
There is another story at a very big club that I belong to. The grounders have set up a large area for tank battles. It has not been used since last year and it looks like there is another clean-up that I will be involved in.
Now think on these facts. (And my experience is that these items are FACT! )

If AMA takes on all these others, then these others become AMA members. AMA members can become Leader members. Leader Members VOTE on Bylaws. All Members vote for officers
They can then take over the AMA Executive Council. Darn few AMA modeler members vote. We flyboys can well become secondary to the boaters and car drivers. Now do you think they will be worrying about your regional flying sites? I don't. Their dirt tracks, indoor facilities, and their expenses will be before your facilities. [:@]

I also noticed that AMA is coming out with a new revised magazine. Right now I forget if its electric or park flier. Anyway your member dues are investing into another publishing spread. Now comes the boating, the cars and all those people, airplane fliers will be just another little group. Then the corporate name change will have to happen to cover all interests. Goodbye Academy of MODEL AERONAUTICS!!!!

For years now I have been preaching that MA should be profitable. Well I bet it will be when the entire publishing company is sold out to some ''Investors'' with a contract to provide AMA - or whatever it is called then - their magazine services. Any guesses who the stockholders will be? [&o]

CJ, I hope you are more correct than me, but business is business and this trail has been a long time unfolding. It really doesn't take a genius to analyze where the hitching post is.
HOSS.
And the reason you have not had a chance to help the AMA problem is because you leave out the middle and lower class modelers. People like me are the ones that you left out.
Larry K
Old 06-08-2012, 04:41 PM
cj_rumley

(major snipping)
Okay Hoss, I thought about it - admittedly not giving the question the kind of consideration the AMA brass would, e.g. allotting the last 5 mo to thinking about whether they should think about tweaking AMA policy re restraints on members' FPV ops.

I had pictured other model-sport orgs et al as short-term renter's of the IAC to hold their events (ex: as IRCHAdoes for an annual heli bash) in what I presumed to be the AMA suits' current plans, and co-located tenant activities (HQops and such) in the Emperor Brown's grander scheme. The scenario you lay out requires presumption of even more preposterous empire-building aspirations on the part of the incumbent Who's Who in Muncie than are attributable to Brown. I just can' t cram that concept through the reality checker in the grey matter.

I'm callin' Uncle and outta this one.

CJ

Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Flexnbeef
My Feedback: (9)

my oh my. I better not get started on this one lol, what about you Biggs?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:22 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Ya ever think it may be as simple as trying to see what our interests are for direct marketing and MA advertising purposes?

I used to have thin '86 Ford Ranger,, every once in a while it would start making noise from the tranny,, my immediate thought was the tranny was going bad,,, ended up just needing u-joints. Interesting how the mind instantly jumps to worse case scenarios
Old 06-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Jim Thomerson

Remember how, at one time, the flying model magazines, Flying Models, and Air Trails for sure, and maybe MAN, added sections on model boats and cars. Aeromodeller had a model rocket section for a while. I think there is an idea, maybe somewhat valid in the past, that modelers were more broadly interested than just in one kind of airplane. I think RC cars is a bigger hobby that RC airplanes, and model boats definitely in the mix. It might be a good thing if we were all friends and would add mass to help out with our various concerns.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

HOSS.
And the reason you have not had a chance to help the AMA problem is because you leave out the middle and lower class modelers. People like me are the ones that you left out.
Larry K
Thanks for the point, LW. However would you please inform me just who is it that fits your definition of " ....middle and lower class modelers?" Anyone that likes model airplanes of any type is A-OK with me. I have no objections to boaters and car-drivers. OTOH, I am a bit watchful when they try to crawl into my space! [:-]

First AMA memberships came in late '40s. After 1955 it has never stopped IIRC, definitely since 1957. I have served in a number of volunteer positions including DVP. I have contributed more $$ than my dues. IMO that kind of makes me elgible to consider AMA a tad bit of "my space". Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:01 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Ya, I think we get that Hoss,,,
Old 06-09-2012, 05:16 PM
3dsky
My Feedback: (84)

"Aeromodelers have built this AMA"

I have 2 kids and their interests are not just in RC planes, so I do not understand the problem with AMA expanding to other groups that just may attract someone new to aero modeling. I really am just a Sailplane nut but I have built cars, boats rockets, and I build and fly CL, rubber powered, to giant scale. I am also interested in robots. I am not sure, who built AMA but at one time the sailplane pilots outnumbered any other group. So then everyone that is not interested in Sailplanes should state another group. AMA means events like the NATS, now takes up a month it is not about one interest. Are we worried about being outnumbered by the other fun and interesting hobbies? I like what AMA is doing. (New Look) Expanding could only help aero modeling, and I would hope bring more sites to fly at. Communities build parks with areas that are specialized, like a trick bike, skate boarding areas that have a lower attendance than my local flying field. AMA taking over the world? All that with $50 dues per year, I am getting a good deal. Now you have me thinking……… Joe Hall type parks in every state that has everything, it would be a Disney land for modelers. Cool!

""I think RC cars is a bigger hobby that RC airplanes, and model boats definitely in the mix. It might be a good thing if we were all friends and would add mass to help out with our various concerns. "" I would have to agree with Jim.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Jim Thomerson

At Christopher Columbus Park, in Tucson, there is a boat pond next to the Cholla Choppers control line circles. Perhaps some advantages to the airplane and boat people being friends and supportive when when it comes to talking with the park management about their needs and uses.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:34 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Maybe another org should to be formed... some type of Model Universe of sorts for all modelers. Train guys could then be included and we could finally have some rules about dynamite and head on collisions...
Old 06-10-2012, 05:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all useless blather.  If they had not asked those questions HossFly would be asking whey they did not so they could use it to promote the hobby!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:09 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Maybe another org should to be formed... some type of Model Universe of sorts for all modelers. Train guys could then be included and we could finally have some rules about dynamite and head on collisions...
No reason we can't have some fun with it tho...
Old 06-10-2012, 11:53 AM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

This is all useless blather. If they had not asked those questions HossFly would be asking whey they did not so they could use it to promote the hobby!
No, Hoss is way smarter than that.

Ref. the quote in his sig line. Was it the lamb that called for putting the issue to popular vote?

Hoss understands what polls are really about. YMMV

CJ

Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 PM
johndavis

would the ama close down the tracks that doesent join the ama??  or the racers that dont join the ama?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.