Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

If you could tell them that several of us are awaiting these new ignitions very eagerly and we'd love them as soon as possible!!

Whit

ORIGINAL: Detlef Kunkel

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

Any word on the new ignition?

The new igniton is here in my hands; I have a prototype version installed on a Moki 215.
it is running as fine as can be, but the company that makes the ignition is still working on some development for serial production.

I guess it wont´t take long until it is officially availableon the market.

BTW it is the same company that has developped the ignition for my V-4 engine, so we are in very good hands with that

Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 PM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the new ignition a "plug and play" or was there a modified cam installed in your 215 to alter the spark timing? I'm also waiting for a new type module as my old one seems to have gone
bad. Mitch
Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Jaketab
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Detlef Kunkel,

Is the new ignition an exact size drop in replacement????
If it is not, do you have dimensions or pictures of the new ignition please?????

Thanks - Jaketab
Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 PM
heinzulrich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, what is the cost going to be. I got three of these engines.
Heinz
Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 PM
mogman

Interesting devolpment on my 400 today. Just going over everything before the flying season gets into full swing.

I pulled out my lifters and they have a very pronounced deep groove worn in the bottom of them where they ride on the cams. Obviously, they don't rotate like an automobile engine's lifters. To me this shows either a lack of lubrication or too soft a material.

I do put a drop of oil on the lifter before each day's flying. Not sure how much, if any gets down between the lifter and the guide. I have 35 flights, about 5 gallons of fuel, on the engine. I have added a little bit of 20/50 engine oil to the gearcase to see if I can at least get a little lube on the base of the lifters. I drained out the little bit of gear oil I had put in after the warning of gear oil with EP additive being corrosive to brass bushings etc.

Cheers,
Dave.
W/B #180
Old 06-26-2012, 01:40 PM
wingstrut

Dave, I was just wondering, the EP gear oil that you drained out, how long was that oil in the engine?.

By the way that info on the EP gear oil having additives that are corrosive to yellow metal came directly from the oil company, in case anyone has doubts.

Sounds like lack of lube. The reason for lubrication is to keep metal from touching metal so you don't have wear.

I don't have that much running on my 215, I pulled a lifter and it had grease on the end and no signs of wear. I have the original grease in it and as best I can tell it is one of the newer engines.

Sorry not much help.....Ron
Old 06-26-2012, 02:06 PM
mogman

Ron, I never ran the engine with the gear oil in it. I had put it in when all the discussion about the grease started.

Dave.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:55 PM
wingstrut

Dave, you may want to contact I believe AMR is the distributor in Canada, they may be able to steer you in the right direction....Ron
Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 PM
stivvy

ORIGINAL: crusier

Ok Guys, I have a moki 215 6-7 years old bought from RCS. only finish the plane last year . I have 80 minutes of run time. Friday I was flying, great first fligh. Second flight not so great. Grinding noise throttled back engine quit. Went to turn it over by hand one place felt grinding. Removed front cover found brass gears. Three of the teeth stripped off dont know why. Engine came out of time valve damage and lifting rods damage on two cylinders. have not taken it apart any futher. First does anyone have a parts list, best place to buy parts? Anyone know how to time this motor. There is a timing mark on the steel primary gear what do you line this up with. Any info helpful thanks Bill
Hi Bill,

If you have an early 215, are the cam lifters the ones with ball bearing ends ? If so one of the balls could have become detached and damaged the gears etc (see earlier thread on replacing these with lifters without ball bearings).

My 215 has the ball bearing type, which I will replace.

Just a thought.

Steve
Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 AM
crusier
My Feedback: (37)

Thanks serial 693 I think that's what happened. To time motor once I have parts do you know if the timing mark goes at 1200 o'clock in line with #1 at top dead center?
Old 06-27-2012, 05:41 AM
stivvy

Sorry Bill,

dont know about timing - anyone out there who does ?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 AM
The Flying Scot

Hi Detlef,

I have a 215 Moki 5 cylinder which has never been run and I am sure it is an early one as the test certificate is dated 1999.

After reading through this thread it looks like I have a few changes to make before I run this engine such as replace cam followers, use electric pump and remove the old grease from the front housing and replace it with the grease or gear oil.

What Grease / oil are you using in your Radials? From the thread I know it is a thick oil but I could not find a specification for it. (Apologies if I have missed it reading through this thread)

Do you have any other recommendations I should follow before using this 1999 Moki?

Regards

Arthur
Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 AM
nine o nine

Does anyone have a working Moki ignition module they wish to sell as from a bad crash which may have destroyed the motor? Mine seems to have quit working. I've not been able to find anyone who'll test and repair and replacement cost is unbelievable. I'm waiting for the newly developed ignition but in the mean time I'm down. Mitch
Old 06-30-2012, 11:45 PM
darryltarr

Gentlemen,

I have a question, which may be absolutely obvious, but just to be 100% sure.

Please confirm the Larger Screw (below the H/L Needles), is the Throttle STOP Screw. If NOT, then please can someone tell me what the factory (default) setting is (how many turns out).

Many thanks,

Darryl

[img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47219.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1777379  
Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 AM
nine o nine

it's the stop screw and can be backed out and thrown away. MItch
Old 07-01-2012, 06:37 PM
darryltarr

Thanks a lot Mitch.

I had adjusted mine and made a note of how much influence it had on the CLOSED/STOP position of the CARB, but then forgot where the original setting was. Nice to know it can be discarded although I will keep mine set at about 4 turns out.

Thanks again,

Darryl
Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 PM
tony67
My Feedback: (51)

Has anyone intalled a Spektrum telemetry RPM sensor on there Moki if so how and where did you place it. I thought it was a motion sensor like a hand held tach and would install it in the cowl facing the prop but it has a magnet and instructions say to install at the back of the crankcase. Just not shure where the best location would be on a moki.
Thanks
Old 07-06-2012, 12:17 PM
oy4310

Hi guys - I need some help here.

Today I started my Moki 150 for the second time. I have an APS fuel pump installed.

The Pump have 5 cell NiMh and the engine 4 cell NiMh
Both times the engine run perfectly. Total ½ gasllon for now in the test bench

After 10 min in the test bench today yhere was a little bit of smoke from the electronic ignition and the " other end" the black cover at the engine (see picture)

Is it my fault?? or some electronic failure??

Another question: something I dont understand [] was mentioned in the manual for the pump about the clear festo line. Can you tell me if I should do anything!

[youtube]qw8RHJbmCPk[/youtube]

Name:	Fd92459.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1779233  
Old 07-06-2012, 12:30 PM
thias

Hi Christian,

I do not know if you have an electrical problem, but you definitely have a mechanical problem. Did you not recognized the missing cylinder attachment screw and the gap between cylinder and crankcase on your picture?

Regards,
Matthias
Old 07-06-2012, 01:35 PM
oy4310

Ups sorry, but it isn't my picture . It's stolen from an earlier input in this thread. I only use it to explain where on the engine there was smoke. There must be some electronic device below, but I can't understand why it should break down with normal run and 4,8 volt.

Ienclose a pic of the REAL engine

Name:	Tr49985.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1779247  
Old 07-06-2012, 04:04 PM
oy4310

About the new ignition.... I found this on Youtube:

[youtube]WFC-Xy6_6b8[/youtube]

www.youtube.com/watch
Old 07-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Detlef Kunkel

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys,
sorry for keeping you waiting for an answer.
The new Ignition will replace the original ignition in all parts, 100%.

This means to replace the black box AND the ignition coils and the sensor at the front of the engines gear housing.
It will be NOT necessary to open the gearcase, as the timing ring with the magnetos will remain as it is.
It will be necessary to open the engines backplate (very easy, no difficult work) and take out the coil assy. The space will be used no longer, the engine "empty".
You will have an ignition box and a box with the coils; both to be mounted beside the engine.

Test results on the 150 engine are extremely good.
The engine equipped with turbulator, APS-Pump and new ignition will perform second to none, gaining 300 rpms and have an excellent running behaviour. Missing cylinders did never occur again during the test.

Starting is as easy as you see it in the little movie.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:16 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Detlef,

That's great news....

Even better news will come when you let us know that your firm has the new ignitions for the 215 and 250cc radials.

Bill
Old 07-09-2012, 03:27 AM
Detlef Kunkel

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Bill,

to make it clear; I do NOT make them; I was only involved in the history that led to that product.
I was tired of the problems that fill complete forum threads and asked the guys who make the ignition for my Phoenix-engine if they could use their (highly adaptive) concept also for radials. They thought about it and did say yes... and what was left to do was to find out how to adapt the build-in sensor ring with the magnetos on it, and fine tune the ignition ( timing & advance curve) with the radials.
This took some weeks, and the result is really first class. The 215 is here and runs really as fine as can be.

So it is not wrong to say the the Phoenix-ignition is the father of what we will be able to purchase soon :-)

The ignition for the 215 / 250 where made shortly before the 150- ignition was developed on the test bench.

Both types will bee available soon.

Distributor in the US is supposed to be Vogelsang.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 AM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Outstanding! 

When will they be available? I have a 150 that is down with the missing cylinder issue. I would take one today!

Thanks very much for working on this.

Whit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.