Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Airtronic SD 10 G charger- battery failure in flight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Airtronic SD 10 G charger- battery failure in flight

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:06 AM
foxhills36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronic SD 10 G charger- battery failure in flight

Anyone had an issue with charging their rx battery with the 10G charger? I lost my new to me plane last weekend after only 2 flights that day. These are the findings with the rx battery and charging. It was a 1650 MaH battery.

I took the battery home with me and charged it overnight on my Digipace followed by a discharge and on my JR wall charger followed by another discharge. Both of these overnight charges showed more than 1500 MaH after discharge. I then charged for 24 hrs with wall charger that came with the SD-10G radio . 498 MaH were shown after discharge. I charged again with the Airtronics charger, this time for 48 hrs. After discharge, it showed 826 MaH.

Any thoughts????
Old 07-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Airtronic SD 10 G charger- battery failure in flight

Edit: misread the question, thinking you were talking about the Tx battery.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:38 AM
jfuller

Hi,

I can't say that I have a problem with the rx battery, but the only way that I can charge the TX battery is to open the TX case unplug the battery from the TX, and charge directly into the battery.

James Fuller
Old 07-04-2012, 07:45 AM
cdodom

as soon as I received my SD-10G I put in a 7.4volt 2600mah Lithium Ion from Fromeco. I can get a week of flying without having to recharge the battery.

Sorry about your loss!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: foxhills36

Anyone had an issue with charging their rx battery with the 10G charger? I lost my new to me plane last weekend after only 2 flights that day. These are the findings with the rx battery and charging. It was a 1650 MaH battery.

I took the battery home with me and charged it overnight on my Digipace followed by a discharge and on my JR wall charger followed by another discharge. Both of these overnight charges showed more than 1500 MaH after discharge. I then charged for 24 hrs with wall charger that came with the SD-10G radio . 498 MaH were shown after discharge. I charged again with the Airtronics charger, this time for 48 hrs. After discharge, it showed 826 MaH.

Any thoughts????
Do you mean the transmitter (Tx) battery? I don't remember the radio coming with an Rx battery...nor a charger for one.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 AM
KGSS28

+ 1 on what Chris said . Works great
Old 07-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: KGSS28

as soon as I received my SD-10G I put in a 7.4volt 2600mah Lithium Ion from Fromeco. I can get a week of flying without having to recharge the battery.
+ 1 on what Chris said . Works great
Note that these are referring to the Tx battery. OP stated an issue with the Rx battery.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 PM
foxhills36

Correct it was a rx batt I bought separate. Was just checking to see if anyone else had an issue with charging a NiMH battery with the supplied charger. Might have even been a bad battery to start, not sure, just looking for some answers as to why it failed after only 2 flights with a 12 hr charge the night before.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2012, 12:16 PM
cmoulder

Correct it was a rx batt I bought separate. Was just checking to see if anyone else had an issue with charging a NiMH battery with the supplied charger. Might have even been a bad battery to start, not sure, just looking for some answers as to why it failed after only 2 flights with a 12 hr charge the night before.

Thanks
Was this a new Rx battery? Did you check the voltage with a 0.5 amp or 1.0 Amp load?

Battery voltage alone tells you NOTHING about the health of a battery. You must check the voltage with a load to discover a bad cell.

Under a 0.5-amp load the voltage of a freshly charged battery should not drop more than approx 0.5 volts.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Jetdesign

A typical 6 volt NIMH charger has an output of 7.2V. The SD10G charger is 8.5V output. Could this be the issue? What kind of battery were you charging? 4.8V or 6V?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
foxhills36

Thanks for the feedback, it is a 4.8 v. battery.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Jetdesign

I just looked at a bunch of standard 'wall wart' chargers - they typically are 4.8V and 6.0V output, depending on what battery you are using. I don't know if charging at 8.5V would definitely kill your battery, but that would be my first guess.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sounds like you have a bad cell it should charge back to 70 to 80% of rated output  1650 should have charged up to around 1450 to 1500 mah  after charge voltage should read  5.5 to 5.6  put your load tester on it and it should stay steadyb with ba 2 or 3 tenths drop  5.3 to 5.2  , i think you have a damaged battery pack
Old 07-04-2012, 02:23 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

There is this little strip that you connect to an empty slot in the rx and it will give you a slight idea how your battery is!
It is cheapo too.
It will save you from a crash.
Sorry about your loss.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:59 PM
wesaysoracing

i never use the wall chargers that come with my airtronics radios, i use a peak detection charger, as most of my battery packs are 6v 2000 ma or larger
Old 07-05-2012, 04:12 AM
azalner

ORIGINAL: wesaysoracing

i never use the wall chargers that come with my airtronics radios, i use a peak detection charger, as most of my battery packs are 6v 2000 ma or larger
+1
Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 PM
grcourtney
My Feedback: (1)

Using Ni-metal batteries (RX) in a pattern ship ( digital servos) is like playing Russian roulette. LION with a regulator will serve u better.

sorry for the loss

G
Old 07-06-2012, 06:00 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, 8.5 volts on 4.8 volt NIckel pack will destroy the cells internally, ..quick time. Mostly what you probably read with the volt meter was a surface charge and not capacity.

Gary C. is correct,...load the gun, because it's going off soon! I learned the hard way in 2003 practicing with my then 39% Radiowave for the the Don Lowe Master. I had two Nickel packs of 4800 Mah and all digital servos, 11 to be exact and two I4C servo interfaces and a seperate RX battery. The plane died after three flights, I had RX power, no power anymore on the servos. My duralite 1.5 amp volt meter said it was ok when I took off, Nickel packs will dump without warning under heavy loads. Yes,..I was waiting for my Duralite packs to arrive,..the next day.

Sorry for your loss,..it hurts!

bholsten
Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Hauling-A
My Feedback: (7)

Any thoughts????
The Wall charger that came with my SD-10 was configured with one Output lead, So you could only charge the Tx battery.

The Wall charger that came with my SD-6 is configured as a Duel Output charger, So you can charge either the Tx battery or the Rx battery at the same time.

Output #1 is designated as the Output for the Tx Battery. 4-6 Ni-MH (4.87.2v) Cells charged @ 150 ma.

Output #2 is designated as the Output for the Rx Battery. 4-5 Ni-HM (4.86.0v Cells charged @150 ma

If you have a Airtronics Wall charger that has duel Outputs, You will be able to charge your Tx and Rx Batteries without any problems. If the charger only has one output, It will only charge your Tx.

I bought my SD-10 when they first came out and some of the chargers that came with them were faulty, When Airtronics issued a replacement notice for the RF Board in the SD-10, I sent mine in and had

the board replaced and the charger repaired and also had the sliders fixed.

I don't know if the later model SD-10's came with the duel output charger or not, But you shouldn't have been able to damage your Rx battery with the Airtronics Wall charger.

J
Old 07-10-2012, 10:11 AM
foxhills36

Thanks for the feedback. I have the new 10G with only one output on the charger, I am beginning to figure out the wall charger is the issue. Just sent everything back in for inspection and repair, we shall see what they say.

John
Old 07-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Hauling-A

John,

Please let us know what the problem turned out to be. I would be interested in knowing what Airtronics said caused your problem.

J
Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 PM
foxhills36

Sure will.

So your new charger has two outputs, and this was sent to you after your original purchase?

John
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Hauling-A

John,

I received the twin output charger when I purchased a SD-6G. I also use it to charge my Tx SD-10G. When I sent my SD-10G to Airtronics for the new RF board upgrade, I also sent the original charger that came with the radio as I wanted them to check it and if it wasn't working correctly, To either fix it or replace it. I don't know what they did as there wasn't a explanation saying that they fixed or replaced it. The One that I received back looked exactly like the one that I sent to Airtronics.

I primarily use the twin outlet charger, So that I can charge the Tx and The Rx at the same time. If Airtronics doesn't equip the later model SD-10G radios with the same charger that I received with the SD-6G, I think that they should. All of my "other brand" radio's came with a duel output charger. I'm going to include a photo of the two Chargers.

J
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49206.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1780602  
Old 07-24-2012, 01:07 PM
bluzjamer

I've had my sd10g for over a year now and just getting to use it. Health reasons. Ok was always a big to do about should I use 4.8 volts or 6 volt packs. The stock charger says4.8-6 volts right on the charger for rx packs depending on 4-5 cells. I'm wondering how long Ihave to charge the rx for. Is it no more than 12 hours like the tx pack. 4-6 on a partially discharged pack. Very confusing. Batteries are probably the most fustrating part of RC flying. Should one lipo or not....that is the question. Think I need another cool one out of the fridge to ponder this a bit more. Can one drink and charge???????