Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I could not resist...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I could not resist...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could not resist...

I have been a foamy fan since I started flying and I still like foam gliders but not too fond of non sailplane/glider foam planes and I purchased my first balsa plane a few months ago. I love it, the avance 25e, and I overpowered it for sure but so far its been a blast to fly.

So I saw this balsa fournier at Hobbyking and from the pictures alone I fell in love with it.. it looks fantastic!!

Never flown a fournier so I am excited to try it out, I am going to try to fly it scale/take it easy with it. My advance fills my aerobatic needs and my glider fills my long flight time needs but now I want something to fly scale/nice and easy with low passes and so on.

When I get it I will post some pictures of the box and its contents and try to go over the build. So excited.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18960

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76685.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	1777782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56080.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1777783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67949.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	1777784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24473.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1777785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz29061.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	1777786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh65376.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	1777787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr25060.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	1777788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw78174.jpg
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1777789  

Old 07-02-2012, 10:29 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I could not resist...

You can also find this kit at :

http://hobby.uk.com/flying-scale-mod.../fournier.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/42...ion_Balsa.html

http://www.modelaircraft.me.uk/fournier-rf4-p-4.html

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/produc...41fournier-rf4

http://www.jsb-models.co.uk/Products...ft/FournierRF4

Frank
Old 07-02-2012, 03:45 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Fournier a few years ago and it was a neat plane. The one I had had a problem of snapping if you got to slow with it. Landing approaches were where I had to watch it the closest . I think you will ENJOY it , this is just a suggestion of something to watch out for. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Sherv

Thanks! And thanks for the links to the plane, this will help me search more about it online and hopefully find some info at rcgroups forums about it.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 AM
opjose

All of those are UK resellers.

You're better off with the HK site.

That plane is almost a glider, given the wingspan.

You may have to start your landings a few miles out!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Sherv

Well I received it after a month with no instructions or CG information. For 90 bucks you get a pre-covered plane, e-max motor (nice), some 30amp esc (waiting for my turnigy to replace it), servos, and all required hardware.

While I was building this plane I noticed the rudder is going to steer the plane and the rudder only had 2 CA hinges slotted and thought that would be insufficient so I added an extra CA hinge after I made a slot with an sharp hobby knife. The aileron has 5 hinges each side and it was already glued. I played with the ailerons for a while to make sure all were glued and noticed a few hinges were slightly loose so I added a touch of thin CA.
I used 30min epoxy to glue the wings.
I did not build this plane as cleanly as my e-flite. I blame lack of experience, no manual, and I was rushing to finish it. There are some bubbles in the covering but for the most part for the money I think it is excusable. It is only a step below my e-flite advance 25e in covering quality/finish. But the balsa and ply is clean and looks like it is built well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22314.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1785419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27571.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1785420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25203.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1785421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39921.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1785422  
Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 AM
harralk
My Feedback: (22)

in case you didn't know already, you can usually fix the bubbles in the covering. They're usually a result of shipping the wood airframe from one part of the world to another and not necessarily a reflection of the buildquality. Theycan usuallybe taken out with a little care and a heat gun or iron and a mitt.

Looks like a neat plane. Let us know how she flies!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another point that you may already know but I'll refresh anyway; Once CA hinges are put in and the CA is applied it WILL NOT wick the CA back over the hinge again, the wicking is completed on the first shot.

If you feel that there is a problem with a hinge try making a small hole over the hinge ( both sides ) and squirt some glue in that way and see if it tightens the hinge.

The best way if you suspect a hinge is to drill a small hole through the hinge , push a round tooth pick in the hole , trim it off, then put thin CA on it. Then either cover the hole or paint over the spot .
ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Sherv

ORIGINAL: red head

Another point that you may already know but I'll refresh anyway; Once CA hinges are put in and the CA is applied it WILL NOT wick the CA back over the hinge again, the wicking is completed on the first shot.

If you feel that there is a problem with a hinge try making a small hole over the hinge ( both sides ) and squirt some glue in that way and see if it tightens the hinge.

The best way if you suspect a hinge is to drill a small hole through the hinge , push a round tooth pick in the hole , trim it off, then put thin CA on it. Then either cover the hole or paint over the spot .
ENJOY !!! RED
That is good advice to remember next time, luckily for me 2 of the hinges on the right aileron (in the center not the ends of the aileron) had 0 glue and I could tell they were moving. I follow this method for installing my hinges too.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...?article_id=55
Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should never re-apply thin CA to a CA hinge. The first application is plenty. If you have to do something to the hinge, remove it, and put it somewhere else, but do not re-apply CA to a CA hinge. This advice was given to me by my instructor, but I didn't listen and I re-applied CA to two of eight hinges on my Tiger 60. Both came apart on me.

CGr.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM
WaffleMan

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

You should never re-apply thin CA to a CA hinge. The first application is plenty. If you have to do something to the hinge, remove it, and put it somewhere else, but do not re-apply CA to a CA hinge. This advice was given to me by my instructor, but I didn't listen and I re-applied CA to two of eight hinges on my Tiger 60. Both came apart on me.

CGr.
I think he is trying to say that the ailerons came pre-hinged and on some of the hinges there was no glue