Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

McCoy 35 Carb Venturi Insert

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 03:11 PM
astronomer1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McCoy 35 Carb Venturi Insert

I have bought 5 McCoy 35 engines for cheap for restoration in hopes of getting one "good" one for a Stirling Ringmaster. I don't think any of them are configured as manufactured. What a guy won't do to relive his youth of the 60's. Yes I am a fossil, and yes I can still crash um.

On to the meat of this discussion. Were all of the McCoy 35 engines equipped with a Carb. Venturi Insert or was this something that was only model year specific? Were these possibly removed by young owners in hopes of gaining higher performance because they may have appeared to restrict the carb. throat? Bigger opening=more power-NOT ! Not without proper fuel aspiration that is! Maybe they were just lost when engines were taken apart by "novice mechanics". Only 1 of the 5 engines has an insert. I could fabricate some more true venturis for other engines if need be and if they all came with inserts if that indeed would make them start easier and run better.

Any insights would be helpful!
Old 08-07-2012, 06:02 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: McCoy 35 Carb Venturi Insert

If this is the series with the two lightening bolts on the engine, they had inserts. These can be removed if the fuel tank was located well. I have run mine with the insert removed and they ran fine doing loops and junk. I have a .19 that will not run with the insert removed unless I use muffler pressure.