Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Its Official... I Ordered a Kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Its Official... I Ordered a Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:55 PM
BillinIndiana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its Official... I Ordered a Kit

Well at least that part is done... I went with the SIG Kadet Mark II trainer plane. I really like it's looks and after scanning through the manual, I think I am really going to enjoy building it.
Being my 1st kit, I went ahead and ordered the Accessory Kit to go with it. I'll try and get a little more experience in building before I worry about picking some of that stuff out on my own.
I'm guessing I'll need the engine and radio equipment as I build, right? Just scanning the online manual, looks like a Yes to that question.

As fas as an Engine, someone suggested a Thunder Tiger PRO .46 Which looks good to me I guess?

Now on to the Servos etc.. I haven't pick up a Transmitter yet, so I'm not sure what to get?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:28 PM
alltumbs

Default RE: Its Official... I Ordered a Kit

Hey Bill
Your going to have a ball. Take your time with your build and enjoy the experience. What ever you do when you get to the covering part of your build , don't do what I did and use your wife'sclothes iron to put on your covering . Crap I didn't knowmine knew those kind of words !!!
How far from Griffith are you ??
Old 08-16-2012, 02:29 AM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bill ,did you get out to that club in the city you live in. That will be your best move before you start on you build. Yours Paul T
Old 08-16-2012, 03:10 AM
BillinIndiana

I'm almost 3 hours from Griffith, AllThumbs
Nope Paul T, I joined a smaller one, online at it's web page.. It had a field closest to me but with fewer members. It must be defunct because I haven't heard anything or seen any other activity on the web page?
I did look over the manual from the SIG site.. Looks like something I will enjoy doing.. The MK II looks somewhat tedious.. I like that in it !
Old 08-16-2012, 07:02 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Bill,
You are very close to Muncie, IN. The headquarters of the AMA our mother ship))

Look them up and check out their address and activities. There should also be several clubs around you and as all fliers we are all eager to help.
You are getting close to making your biggest investment yet. The radio and engine. Just dont buy any sofisticated programmable radia yet. Find a 4 chnl radi but of course go with the 2.4 gzwhich will keep you from getting radio interference and kaboom..

Good luck
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 AM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

The Thunder Tiger. 46 is an awsome engine. Even at the new prices its the best value going considering quality, longevity, performance, and ease of use. I LOVE these engines.

Radios are a hugely personnal decision. Don't just go in from a price point. GO to a hobby shop and a flying field and hold different radios. All the current major brands like Airtronics, Hitec, JR, Futaba, and Spektrum are quality radios and they all work well. Find one that feels good and is comfortable to hold for a long time. At the field you are going to fly at, pay attention to what the majority of others are flying and ask questions. Its much easier to get help if they are flying the same equipment. Especially if you need a servo wheel or other do-dad while at the field. However, if they are all flying a certain radio just because it was "cheap", don't be afraid to jump ship and buy something else.

Also.... DON'T limit yourself to a 4 channel cheapie as your first radio if you don't have to. I know we all want to save money but this is the classic example of "buy cheap, buy twice". If you decide to stick with the hobby you will quickly find out how lacking in features the 4-channels are and you'll be looking to buy a better radio. If at all possible, don't buy less han a 6 channel radio. You might not use all the channels but the extra features that are included in most 6ch or better radios will be available. If your on an extremely limited budget then by all means a 4ch is a means to an end. Keep in mind that if you don't continue with the hobby, a 6ch will be much easier to sell and will fetch a higher percentage of your purchase price than a 4ch will.

Have fun and I hope some of this helped,
Mike
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 AM
carrellh

Bill, it is preferable to have the engine when you start the fuselage. Usually one of the first steps is laminating the plywood firewall and drilling it for the engine mount.
Radio equipment can wait until near the end.

If there is a phone number for the club you tried to join (on the AMA sit or the club's site), try to call it.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed, having all your gear in advanced is a good idea if you can do it. It's a sometimes deal though. It's just easier. Having the engine on hand helps a bunch though. And when you get the plans you can see for sure what size tank will fit too.
Out of all the small cheap engines I think the PRO series is one of the best choices and the SIG kits are outstanding with some very easy to follow instructions. Good choice.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:42 PM
jrcaster

I agree with the don't get a 4 channel radio bit. There are a lot of planes that use only 4 channels but a lot will use 6 or 7 channels, like when you get to planes that take retracts, flaps, bomb drops, etc.

Another bonus to getting a radio as the same brand as others at the local flying field is that you can use a buddy cord without buying extra equipment.

Don't forget that you still need to buy covering and the associated tools. For Monokote, Ultrakote or any of the other iron on coverings you can get by with getting just the covering iron, without the heat gun, but I would suggest getting the hot sock and the hot glove too.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:07 PM
BillinIndiana

Anyone know how long it takes SIG to ship ?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:14 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Usually within a couple of days.

Welcome to the wonderful world of building planes. Be very careful you may find yourself craving the smell of balsa dust.

I do higlhy recommend finding a Club near by and getting some help with flight training. I am a self taught pilot and it was a very expensive and frustrating adventure.
There is just something magical about taking a box of wood and turning it into a flying aircraft. If it weren't for the building portion of the hobby I wouldn't be in it.
Enjoy the ride!!
Anthony
Old 08-18-2012, 12:59 PM
LargeScale88

As WacoNut said, find a club and get some training. You could also invest about $200.00 and purchase Great Planes Realflight simulator, which will be good for getting you the basics, but don't rely on it completely for the first solo flight, you still need an instructor, but realflight will help you greatly before taking on the model you built, and hey, you crash, hit a red button and you got a new airplane, instead of going to the field with an airplane and coming home with another kit to build.

Good Luck!

Jason
Old 08-18-2012, 04:05 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Congrats Bill! I hope you enjoy the build process. I like it as much as the flying. BTW the Kadet Mk.II is one of the better flyers out there. It is a harder build than some.( only in lots of sanding / time). You will be rewarded by a great flyer that you can enjoy for a long time.....
Old 08-18-2012, 06:58 PM
LargeScale88

ORIGINAL: turbo.gst

Congrats Bill! I hope you enjoy the build process. I like it as much as the flying. BTW the Kadet Mk.II is one of the better flyers out there. It is a harder build than some.( only in lots of sanding / time). You will be rewarded by a great flyer that you can enjoy for a long time.....

Yep, the Mark II is more or less a builders kit, because there are no laser cut parts (the die cut parts still fit well) and if I recall from my build, there are stamped parts, meaning there are sheets of balsa wood with the part printed on with black ink, and you cut it out with a band saw or jig saw. Remember to have LOTS of sandpaper for this build, not trying to scare you, but you won't get through it without the sanding equipment.

Would you consider doing a build thread? Its all your choice but it would really help with all the good and experienced builders on the site to help you if you run into trouble.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 PM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

ORIGINAL: turbo.gst

Yep, the Mark II is more or less a builders kit, because there are no laser cut parts (the die cut parts still fit well) and if I recall from my build, there are stamped parts, meaning there are sheets of balsa wood with the part printed on with black ink, and you cut it out with a band saw or jig saw. Remember to have LOTS of sandpaper for this build, not trying to scare you, but you won't get through it without the sanding equipment.

Would you consider doing a build thread? Its all your choice but it would really help with all the good and experienced builders on the site to help you if you run into trouble.
This is why I bought this particular model.. I'm looking for a challenge. I have a scroll saw to cut the printed parts out. Also a bunch of sand paper..
I scanned through the manual for the Mark II and it mentions a "jig saw" but to me it looks like the head of a "scroll saw" in the picture.. What I call a "jig saw" is a hand held reciprocating saw that doesn't have a table. When using one the material being cut must be suspended or hanging over the edge of a table or saw horse to allow the blade to operate freely.. I haven't seen the Balsa wood in the kit, but seems this type of saw would splinter it..
My Scroll saw has a table that the Balsa could be firmly pressed down on so there isn't as much vibration and less chance of accidents.
But that's just me....

Old 08-18-2012, 09:36 PM
BillinIndiana

This is my Jig Saw

This is my Scroll Saw

Which one are you guys using? I was thinking my scroll would work better..?

Old 08-19-2012, 02:12 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The scroll saw most definetly.
I use a 16" band saw with an 1/8" blade. I also use a 5" disc sander, this gets more use than anything. A drill press comes in mighty handy as well.

A couple of good sanding bars at 12" and 30" will come in very handy as well. You will want to get some medium and fine adhesive backed sandpaper for them as well. They really help to keep the wing panels nice and smooth while sanding. Try and resist the urge to use sand paper in your hand on the plane. The soft balsa will develop peaks and valleys very fast when sanding like this.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-19-2012, 03:35 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same scroll saw and it's just right for model work. I like the quick blade change function. I put pads under the four feet.

Sears also has a table sander in the same price category. It has the disc sander in front too. This is a must have tool.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:54 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Bill on getting started. Kit building is very satisfying enterprise and I am sure you will enjoy it.

You mentioned you have sandpaper, but you might take some time and make a few sanding blocks. Most useful to me are 10 inch long 1 by 2 firring wood wrapped in various grits of sandpaper. (I use thumb tacks on one edge to hold them on.) I also have a few 1/8 and smaller ply sticks that I glue sandpaper onto for tight places like rib cut outs.

Also consider getting one of the small aluminum miter boxes so you can hand cut stringers, tri stock, and other small straight cuts. You can buy an Exacto saw, but I find myself usually using a hack saw blade the miter box. No handle, just the blade.

Have fun on the project!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:05 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Great choice for a project!

I really like the looks of the Mark II also.

I got a set of plans for it off of ebay and am planning to build one myself.

I to have a K&B .45 Sportster engine in mine.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:09 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Here's my scrollsaw.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69994.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1793194  
Old 08-19-2012, 06:01 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Here's my scrollsaw.
Not to hijack the thread, but curious as to what you are cutting out there AmishWarlord.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:41 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The Sig Kadet MK II is a very easy, quick build. It's also a very good trainer flyer.

You assemble the fuselage sides right on the printed side sheets, which are clearly market for locations of all the bits and pieces.

Several years ago, a friend told me that he and several of his fellow flyers would build these planes in a weekend and use them for simple racing. The simplicity, quickness and ruggedness of the build are what inspirded them.

Equally inspired, or challenged, when the time came to buld a trainer for another firend, I chose the Kadet MK II and took up the weekend building challenge, Started on a Fiday evening. By Sunday, it was done. Given my fanatic building style, where everything must fit perfectly or be adjusted, that was quite a pleasant surprise.

Now, some 20 years later, I've started using that plane with total success. Never cashed or hard landed. Still as good as the day it was built.

You should enjoy both the build and the finished plane.

Here's a pic. Power is an HP GOld Cup 40. Radio is a Futaba 9CAPS with S3004 servs.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:27 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Have you received your kit yet, Bill?  I ordered a 4*40 from the Sig web page last week and received it in GA in just a few days. Hope you get yours soon as I know you're really looking forward to it.

Any luck yet contacting any of the members of the club you joined?  You joined a club from their web site without going out and visiting with them first?  Dang, I hope you haven't joined a club with members who don't jibe with your personality!    
Old 08-19-2012, 08:45 AM
jrcaster

A couple of other tools that will make life easier, A good X-Acto knife set, and a metal yard stick. The knife set is in the arts and crafts section, and the yard stick is in the tools section at Wally World.

Rip cutting balsa is easier with a good X-Acto knife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.