Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

World records and FPV?

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

World records and FPV?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:00 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World records and FPV?

For several years there have been numerous international world records for distance, altitude and speed waiting to be claimed by anyone interested in getting their names in the record books. Who will be the first to set a record with the use of FPV equipment?

http://www.fai.org/how-to-set-a-record

Regards
Frank
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mk27540.pdf (77.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-22-2012, 02:51 AM
scotty302

Default RE: World records and FPV?

Here's a list compiled on another site i'm on that is keeping tabs on personal records, somewhat impressive results with links to the proof of accomplishments. Would be something worthwhile to pursue for a few of these individuals.
[link]http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?4899-Personal-Bests-V3-(LEADERBOARDS)[/link]
Old 08-22-2012, 05:04 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: scotty302

Here's a list compiled on another site i'm on that is keeping tabs on personal records, somewhat impressive results with links to the proof of accomplishments. Would be something worthwhile to pursue for a few of these individuals.
[link]http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?4899-Personal-Bests-V3-(LEADERBOARDS)[/link]
Those are impressive claims. Wonder why none have been submitted to the FAI for ratification in the U-1.a.2 class?

The following are the types of records available to be claimed:

Distance Records:
Distance in a Straight Line
Distance Over an Out and Return Course

Speed Records:
Speed Over a Straight Course of 15 to 25 Kilometers
Speed Over an Out and Return Course of 100 Kilometers
Speed Over an Out and Return Course of 200 Kilometers
Speed Over an Out and Return Course of 500 Kilometers
Speed Over an Out and Return Course of 1 000 Kilometers
Speed Over an Out and Return Course of 2 000 Kilometers
Speed Over an Out and Return Course of 5 000 Kilometers
Speed Over an Out and Return Course of 10 000 Kilometers

Duration Records:
Duration Beyond a Distance of 50 Kilometers
Duration Beyond a Distance of 100 Kilometers
Duration Beyond a Distance of 200 Kilometers
Duration Beyond a Distance of 500 Kilometers
Duration Beyond a Distance of 1 000 Kilometers
Duration Beyond a Distance of 2 000 Kilometers
Duration Beyond a Distance of 5 000 Kilometers

Altitude Record:
True Altitude

There is nothing in the class U sporting code that excludes FPV aircraft.

Regards
Frank

Old 08-22-2012, 12:07 PM
scotty302

I saw the list of categories and wonder if this would apply to an organization rather than one individual especially with the distances that they cover with each milestone. Could make a mention on a posting and see if there is any takers for the U-1.a.2 class, there might be a slight interest. Otherwise, they're just fpv addicts like myself and do this just to fuel the addiction. At the very least, the OSD telemetry would have to be verified by the FAI governing body before they would consider any attempts under their listed categories for making the record attempts.

The other item that comes to mind, when coming to FPV and the AMA is the conflict of rules in regards to line of sight limitations, which most of the pilots are flying well outside the boundaries of unless they have the chase team in place.

I personally would like to see some of those names filling some of the records, especially for bragging rights after what some of them had to endure. 5.5 hours trying to fly thermals out to the 100Km mark and back required bathroom breaks and the use of a copilot.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 AM
phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: scotty302

I saw the list of categories and wonder if this would apply to an organization rather than one individual especially with the distances that they cover with each milestone. Could make a mention on a posting and see if there is any takers for the U-1.a.2 class, there might be a slight interest. Otherwise, they're just fpv addicts like myself and do this just to fuel the addiction. At the very least, the OSD telemetry would have to be verified by the FAI governing body before they would consider any attempts under their listed categories for making the record attempts.

The other item that comes to mind, when coming to FPV and the AMA is the conflict of rules in regards to line of sight limitations, which most of the pilots are flying well outside the boundaries of unless they have the chase team in place.

I personally would like to see some of those names filling some of the records, especially for bragging rights after what some of them had to endure. 5.5 hours trying to fly thermals out to the 100Km mark and back required bathroom breaks and the use of a copilot.
scotty,
I was confused by the wording that appeared to only apply to an organization rather than an individual so I asked the FAI;

Le 17.08.2012 19:19, Phelps, Frank a écrit :
Submitted by Mr. Phelps,Frank - Other

Object: FAI Sporting Code Section 12

Message: The 2001 FAI Sporting Code Section 12 – Unmanned Aerial
Vehicles (UAV) Class U defines UAVs as;

Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) - an aerodyne with a means of propulsion, that does not carry a human, which is designed for scientific research, commercial, governmental, or military purposes.

Can a private individual submit a record claim applying for a record ratification or does the claim need to be associated with a research lab or government/military organization?

A short time ago I received the following from the FAI:

Good morning,
An individual can present a record claim as far as the rules are follow.
Information are published on http://www.fai.org/how-to-set-a-record as
well as in the Sporting code concerned (SC 12).

Best regards
Christine Rousson

I'm surprised that an FPV equipment manufacturer has not picked up on this to use for advertizing. To be able to advertise that their equipment was used to set world records would be a great selling point. Of course internationally the organization is the FAI, in the U.S. nationally it's the National Aeronautic Association (NAA) as the governing organization however I checked and they follow the FAI sporting code. Every country has it's own organization for local claims.

Regards
Frank