Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

what would a good platform be

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

what would a good platform be

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 PM
magnum500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would a good platform be

i stumbled across some first person video (fpv) i`ve been toying with the idea for some time . now i think it is time to try my hand at this new part of the hobby .i know this is a uav forum , but whats the differance ? my question is what is a good electric sailplane to start with ? i am not at all anewb to flying but i am a newb to sail planes . i was thinking learn to fly the sail plane then build a fpv craft from there . any help or direction is appreciated .
Old 03-03-2010, 12:25 AM
mboland

Default RE: what would a good platform be

The plane of choice for many, especially to start with, is the Multiplex EasyStar.

I have them a good stable platform for starting, then using them for testing systems.

Add a decent brushless and LiPo and they perform quite well, and are light enough to catch thermals with a basic FPV setup, and tough enough to take the knocks, especially when learning to land using FPV :-)
Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 AM
magnum500

ORIGINAL: mboland

The plane of choice for many, especially to start with, is the Multiplex EasyStar.

I have them a good stable platform for starting, then using them for testing systems.

Add a decent brushless and LiPo and they perform quite well, and are light enough to catch thermals with a basic FPV setup, and tough enough to take the knocks, especially when learning to land using FPV :-)
thanks for the input , i was thinking the same , how hard is it to land a fpv plane ?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM
mboland

I actually find it easier than standard RC.

It is much easier to line yourself up with the runway, straight down the centre line every time.

Judging distance from the ground is the only bit that needs getting used to, and I was a bit nervous for only the first couple of landings.
After that, it is a cinch. Just do a standard approach so you can judge the decent rate and all will be well.
The only times I have come unstuck is when hot dogging it in too fast in a gusty wind, but I have done the same in normal RC doing that too [&:]

But once you are confident at the controls (which doesn't take long) a whole new world of flying opens up to you.
The thrill of low passes (why are those guys lying flat on the ground? [>:] ), peeling out between trees, or just thermalling your way up into the clouds.

Just make sure the fun police aren't around
Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 PM
magnum500

is the easy star a 3 chan. craft , i don't see ailerons .
Old 03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
mboland

Yes it is a 3 channel, rudder, elevator, throttle. No ailerons which keeps it simple.

It still performs quite well, for what it is, and with plenty of power from a high kv brushless, rolls are pretty easy.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM
acflier

I am looking for an "All inclusive" fpv package. Not on that I have to piece together. Does anyone know of such a thing?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:25 PM
magnum500

ORIGINAL: acflier

I am looking for an ''All inclusive'' fpv package. Not on that I have to piece together. Does anyone know of such a thing?
try this .

http://hobbywireless.com/cart/index.php

Old 05-07-2010, 10:24 AM
fritzdecat

readymaderc.com has plug and play setups

DPCAV.com has great stuff also
Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 PM
magnum500

ORIGINAL: fritzdecat

readymaderc.com has plug and play setups

DPCAV.com has great stuff also
some great links !
thanks fritzdecat
Old 07-09-2010, 02:21 PM
dorsai

Again, thanks for those links everyone.

Sincerely,

Andy V.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Aerosight

Hello everyone,

Today the official kickstarter.com launch of the Techpod UAV/FPV plane was launched. This is a joint effort between AeroTeam member, Wayne Garris' and Aerosight. 

Please feel free to go to the kickstarter.com website and search "TECHPOD" to view the video.

Remember, any help provided is appreciated! You can donate a little or a lot and of course the long term result is a model that's available to everyone! Help us get these into production!!!

Things to know:

• When you click donate, you set the amount but it will not be billed until the project ends and only if the campaigne was successfull in raising funds... So don't worry, we'll only draw from your funds when we are able to produce the planes.
  • In the event we start production on these, we will be adding more products to them as well as creating other devices and aircraft as well.[/list]

PLEASE!!!

Tell all your buds at the flying field, those that want to help the "Little guy" succeed and anyone else that's interested as we want to expand these planes to Natural Resource uses, Search and Rescue, Educational Facilities and so on.

We can't pull this off without you!!!