Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

garage launch slowstick 12am

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

garage launch slowstick 12am

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 02:08 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: garage launch slowstick 12am

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

Great flight-I think I am going to build one now-this is too cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim you're just trolling now.

Brandon is a troll just wanting to keep stirring the pot.

Regardless what anyone else thinks, says, or suggest, he is, in his own mind right, and everyone else is wrong.

Stop feeding the trolls folks.

Frank

Old 10-14-2012, 02:26 PM
brandon429

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank, your line of bull brought out the google earth comparison, trolls don't respond to the requested points...comment on google earth at least you haven't contributed much at all.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:39 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: countilaw

Great flight-I think I am going to build one now-this is too cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim you're just trolling now. [img][/img]

Brandon is a troll just wanting to keep stirring the pot. [img][/img]

Regardless what anyone else thinks, says, or suggest, he is, in his own mind right, and everyone else is wrong.

Frank [img][/img]

Countilaw, I think the same could be said of your posts, as well.
FPV is here, and needs to be talked about. The pot is on, and needs to be stirred til done. It's gonna take a while.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From a hundred feet, I would not like to be hit in the head with the stick plane you are flying. I really think you have a major disconnect in your logic. I feel that it is people like you that will force the FAA to issue draconian rules. I don't fly in the park, the first rule on the parks and recreation list where I live is about aircraft not being allowed (I looked it up... National Capital Planning and Parks). I see it done, but do not participate or encourage it. I fly at an AMA field and at times in a rural country farm area. Even over farmland, the potential exists to cause crop damage and trespassing if I should loose an aircraft and need to recover it. There are places for everything and I just don't feel that your $100 to $300 is safe for the intended purpose. You can argue till the cows come home, does not make it right and the jury probably will not see it your way. Err on the side of safety... and for G's sake stop posting videos.

There is nothing to discourage you, and you seem rather manic about the issue.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:53 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brandon,
How old are you? Are you  living at home with not many responsibilities or do you own a home, have bills to pay , and other responsibilities, etc..etc...? Just trying to gauge your logic here.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

How long will this thread go before you guys realize you're not going to change his mind,, all the name calling and passive aggressive insults just make you all look bad.

Give it a rest already
Old 10-14-2012, 03:16 PM
impulse09
My Feedback: (3)

This ain't locked down yet?
Old 10-14-2012, 03:27 PM
brandon429

Reciprocal courtesy check:

Ultra orthodox AMA adherent sets up at my park, makes his flight line, there's only me and my family in the park.

During the flight I decide we're within 200 yds of the foamy, and it could lose signal and crash into us, so I nicely ask you not to fly the rest of the day because that's how long we will be there. How do you respond, you were legal to fly, and I'm just being a paranoid little girl in a mans body, or perhaps I've mentally donned my don't tread on me flag mentality and I just don't like it but you were legal

You would all keep flying because my request was stupid, that's a great illustration of what we've got here today.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:56 PM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

Brandon,
How old are you? Are you living at home with not many responsibilities or do you own a home, have bills to pay , and other responsibilities, etc..etc...? Just trying to gauge your logic here.
C'mon Brandon. How about giving us a little background on yourself? How old are you, are you in college, do you own a home, do you live with your parents, where do you get the extensive knowledge you seem to possess. Do you belong to any of the local R/C clubs? There's two in your area according to modelaircraft.org.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:57 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Franky- I think Hobby King may sell Slow Stiks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:03 PM
brandon429

If the next five new contributors to this thread caption and address the three points before piggybacking off others I'll spill all the beans. You can't discern home ownership, whether or not someone sells cable for a living who used to work in microbiology, exceeding social status, lack thereof, etc off someone who thinks AMA park flying and the sheep who feel safe there are looney. That kind of stuff has to be disclosed. For both those who skim threads before posting and the math challenged, I'd disclosed earlier I'd been flying since 94

That's either a heck of a long time in moms basement or
Old 10-14-2012, 04:41 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

ORIGINAL: countilaw

Jim you're just trolling now.
Brandon is a troll just wanting to keep stirring the pot.

Frank
I said the same thing at the end of page 2 yet here you guys are, page 5 and still going strong. His thread is and has been on the top of the main page and WILL NOT dissapear if you all keep feeding him. Let him talk to himself if he wants his thread to remain on the front page.

It's bad enough that he posted the video to youtube, we as a group can do nothing about that, but we as a group can and SHOULD let this thread die.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63015.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1811346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49073.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1811347  
Old 10-14-2012, 04:51 PM
brandon429

Wahoo you haven't contributed one bit to the subject matter, you are just here to amp things up, it wld be nice if you wouldn't post anymore but you will. Be one of those who drops a big line then says I'm out

Again, review three topics or stop talking
The next time you read about park flying remember your double standards, subjecting everyone there to loss of control.

The collective responses here mean park flying needs to be stopped because when people are present there should be no Rc.

The ones who said they wouldn't allow vapor flights on their block are lying, too

Merely a statement to uphold their argument, the planes are too light to mind.
Most wouldn't answer that side of the debate at all because it proves there are just weight cutoffs we need to make.

Over hype was tantamount today.

But I gained respect for some new people as well, I like the thread. This is the best place to get the most negative interpretation of flying by camera, a good trial by fire from those willing to show a durable double standard in Rc philosophy, the most intriguing thoughts weren't from the majority reading off a predictable script but from a select few who showed reason.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:26 PM
PLANE JIM

Brandon-I really enjoyed your video and your technical expertise on the ability to fly your stik at night is unbelievable. Please do not let other posters get you down-reminds me of the old guys at the field telling a newbie that it will never fly as they sit the lawn chairs and never fly anything or offer to help. I sure would like to get more information on your set-up.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:29 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Brandon-I really enjoyed your video and your technical expertise on the ability to fly your stik at night is unbelievable. Please do not let other posters get you down-reminds me of the old guys at the field telling a newbie that it will never fly as they sit the lawn chairs and never fly anything or offer to help. I sure would like to get more information on your set-up.

http://www.fpvpilot.com/Pages/default.aspx
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71733.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1811355  
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM
PLANE JIM

Is that a virus your trying to pass to me with that link?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:47 PM
brandon429

The most important part is actually the ham license

It is exceedingly uncool and unrespected among fpv'rs to not be licensed

To be federally compliant, you can't even power up the vid TX without a license

But here's the secret, sure to rile those who learned Morse code and had to do it the hard way, you can learn it free in one week off an iPhone app, free

Ham study guide
Tech class study guide

Flash carding is sick, this information is equivalent exactly to an 11the grade physics pop quiz

Get the app, google the sites that run free flashcard apps, print out all the questions and answers .pdf off the FCC website (whoa)

Read for two weeks

Google arrl website

Input zip
Show up on test date usually twice a month fifteen bucks

Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 PM
asimatt
My Feedback: (26)

Brandon are you ok?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 PM
asimatt
My Feedback: (26)

I love the idea but maybe it's time to just let it go.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:01 PM
brandon429

Were you Jim? Anyone who gets into fpv starts there. Why would you not contribute anything to the discussion, if you don't want to troll, give your views on the issues without parroting someone else. You are trolling if you show up not discussing the practice of park flying around people, or flying around houses, or again in the case of park flying, both.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:15 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

One of the guys here on RCU has a great sig that applies in this case: "Never argue with an idiot. He'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." In this thread, some of us have fallen for it, some have gotten annoyed and showed it (to the delight of the OP I'm sure) and some are still trying to argue with him on his terms. The OP has ignored the compelling points against what he's doing because he doesn't have a defense, and he's used personal attacks, non sequiturs and babbling repetition to keep you all busy. If the OP would like to converse in a civilized matter he can PM me or start another thread. I doubt he does though, so I'm out.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 PM
brandon429

Welcome to leave on page two. If you guys don't want to discuss fpv, cease to type. The last two posters are part of a huge distraction in this thread.

Jester the main points would have given us a discussion but we never made it past name calling. Go re read your posts, I didn't call names

By not discussing park flying around people, google earth, or all the wrong info you retracted your presence was really more of a distraction.

your tone would be different if it was a pz vapor bouncing around with a chip cam

it was wrong to state flying over houses is unsafe, it depends on the equipment
Non camera gps guided ultra lights would be allowed under your standards, and why wouldn't they.

you see fpv and think negative, not what it would take to do it safely.

Even if you guys don't admit it, those reading the thread know a tiny vapor or ultra light is a fly anywhere system so that's at least a starting point for fully integrated fpv. Camera or not is the privacy angle, the plane is the safety angle.

you just don't like using a slow stick.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:07 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: brandon429

By not discussing park flying around people........
You seem really hung up on AMA "sanctioned" park flying and you have repeatedly used the catchall term "flying around people". The AMA Park Pilot program has recommendations that are a bit more that 3 words long.

PARK FLYER SAFE OPERATING RECOMMENDATIONS
ยท Inspect your model before every flight to make certain it is airworthy.
ยท Be aware of any other radio frequency user who may present an interference
Problem.
ยท Always be courteous and respectful of other users of your selected flight area.
ยท Choose an area clear of obstacles and large enough to safely accommodate your flying activity.
ยท Make certain this area is clear of friends and spectators prior to launching your Aircraft.
ยท Be aware of other activities in the vicinity of your flight path that could cause
potential conflict.
ยท Carefully plan your flight path prior to launch.
ยท Abide by any and all established AMA National Model Aircraft Safety Code items where applicable and appropriate.

So I don't think the AMA is advocating running out and doing low passes over some kids birthday party.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In England, our equivalent of the AMA is the BMFA. The FPV crowd found it necessary to form their own "body" ... they now conduct their own liaison with the CAA. Quite simply, this was necessary because of the negative attitudes which prevailed in the BMFA.

The efforts of the FPV crowd have directly led to amendments in the Air Navigation Order ... a loosening of the reins, so to speak.

I suppose that arguments, such as the one in this thread, are pretty typical of any sporting endeavour. It was much the same when large models made their appearance ... a separate representative body had to break away from the BMFA, because the prevailing attitudes were stifling. (similar-ish story for helis and electrics)

Is there a separate "body" for the FPV crowd in America?

Our BMFA has no regulatory powers, whatsoever. It is just a "big model club", which raises revenue from annual fees and from brokering insurance. It has morphed into "just another lobbying group", I suppose. Is your AMA like that?

I think that the problem which underlies many of these threads is the political system ... and the idea of "collective punishment". Many of you seem to fear that a mistake on Brandon's part might lead to your being punished. I suppose that is true .... but it shouldn't be that way.

Brandon is responsible for his flying. Brandon should be the only one who faces any consequences for his actions. Why should any of you be punished for his mistakes? Clearly, you shouldn't; yet you fully accept that you might be.

They used to do this at school, do you remember? "If the guilty boy doesn't own up, you'll all stay for detention." It was a great way of turning classmates into enemies.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:51 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I thought it was a cool flight. No one was even aware of the small bird overhead, I see no harm in the op, day or night. 

I regularly see hazardous ops at our field: planes poorly guided during takeoff and landing, flying overhead/behind the flight line, running into the pits, etc. I saw a 1/4-scale Pogo fly away 20+ years ago, about 20 pounds and a gas Zenoah pulling it. Being at a designated field doesn't make the operation safe, preparation and attitude do.

I think Brandon's one of the innovators, what's recently been called an outlier.  You may not agree with his methods, but it appears he is very prepared and knows his stuff. Returning to base at night is something maybe 1% of the RC pilots could do, a demonstration of real skill. Even if the Stick went out of control, chances are it would only get caught in a tree, not 'crash into a garage full of gas cans'. 
Also, our hobby has survived fine up to this point with fly-aways, crashes, etc. I'd say we've already proven ourselves to be responsible, especially given the post-9/11 hypersensitivity. 

IMO, the Feds are the ones who need to be watched and closely regulated, not us. But that's a whole 'nother thread. 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.