Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

What are some good micro RC vehicles? (1:64 or so)

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

What are some good micro RC vehicles? (1:64 or so)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 AM
CasualRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are some good micro RC vehicles? (1:64 or so)

Hello,

Just to set the tone on my skill level with RC: I have a very basic level interest in the RC hobby. I think RC stuff is awesome, but at the same time I don't think I'll really be getting into modification at any point. I usually tend to sway toward Ready-To-Run models of any type of RC vehicle.

Anyway, I wanted to see if there are some enthusiasts out there who know of some good micro RC vehicles that are about 1:64 or so in scale. My best example would be ZipZaps, they seem like the perfect size and they have easily upgradeable parts. I'm basically looking for something that I can pick up a couple of and race with some friends and have some fun with (not something of cheap quality).

Anything that is decent at micro scaled drifting or good at hitting jumps is definitely an added bonus. Preferably, the vehicles would have proportional steering and acceleration. My primary example would be Zip Zaps SE (now known as Xmods Micro RC???), however I can't find many choices online. The only ones I seem to find are rare expensive ones on Ebay or Amazon.

I haven't determined a price limit yet, since I'd like to know my options on such a small scale RC market. I just wanted t see if any experienced or knowledgeable enthusiasts know of anything that fits these guidelines or if I'm asking too much. Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:05 AM
mrbonez

Default RE: What are some good micro RC vehicles? (1:64 or so)

i believe the losi micro t's are about the smallest and they are 1/36 depending on your budget you could check out the mini z line and the dnano as well they have a hefty price tag
Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 PM
CasualRC

ORIGINAL: mrbonez

i believe the losi micro t's are about the smallest and they are 1/36 depending on your budget you could check out the mini z line and the dnano as well they have a hefty price tag
Hey, thanks for the response. I actually ended up going with a couple of ZipZaps SE cars off of Ebay. They were new in the package and not too pricey, so I'll see how those do. Micro-T I think would be my next choice. It seems like it's easy enough to get replacement parts for anything related to Team Losi stuff.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:36 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tomy also made the Bit-charge they were pretty decent. Used to use mine all the time 10 years ago when me and a few others at the place I worked would have races before the boss would get in .
Old 10-14-2012, 04:49 PM
CasualRC

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Tomy also made the Bit-charge they were pretty decent. Used to use mine all the time 10 years ago when me and a few others at the place I worked would have races before the boss would get in .

Ah, that's another product line I'm now slightly familiar with. It's amazing how many products come out of the woodwork when you do lots of googling. I was considering those as well, but the ZipZaps SE line had proportional controls, which is something I was really after. I believe the Bit Char-G line didn't have that? I'm not entirely sure.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:26 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I found these Firelap micros that look cool. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...575247276.html Not sure if it is exactly what your looking for, though.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:03 PM
tyhodge07

i have a couple zipzaps and some china clone bits, probably 6-8 total i have boxed up, if you want to make an offer and take them off my hands, pm me.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 PM
CasualRC

ORIGINAL: collector1231

I found these Firelap micros that look cool. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...575247276.html Not sure if it is exactly what your looking for, though.

They do look pretty cool. I wonder what the performance is like on those. I'm don't have much space to work with, so I ended up going with the ZipZaps SE with digital proportional controls. I'll post back and let you know how well they work out haha
Old 10-15-2012, 02:23 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: tlemmons

Ah, that's another product line I'm now slightly familiar with. It's amazing how many products come out of the woodwork when you do lots of googling. I was considering those as well, but the ZipZaps SE line had proportional controls, which is something I was really after. I believe the Bit Char-G line didn't have that? I'm not entirely sure.
ahh
yea the bits don't have proportional controls pretty much left button right button forward reverse, and in some turbo/option(I have one with a forklift type thing that moves).
Old 10-17-2012, 05:08 PM
CasualRC

ahh
yea the bits don't have proportional controls pretty much left button right button forward reverse, and in some turbo/option(I have one with a forklift type thing that moves).
Ahhhh well I received my ZipZaps SE from Ebay today. It was new in the box, and it doesn't seem to be charging too well. It barely wants to move, and I'm wondering if I'm suffering from ordering an RC that sat in the box unused since its production. I'm charging up some AAA batteries to the max to make sure it's not a low capacity issue.

If this doesn't work, I guess it's back to the drawing board
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ahh
Ahhhh well I received my ZipZaps SE from Ebay today. It was new in the box, and it doesn't seem to be charging too well. It barely wants to move, and I'm wondering if I'm suffering from ordering an RC that sat in the box unused since its production. I'm charging up some AAA batteries to the max to make sure it's not a low capacity issue.

If this doesn't work, I guess it's back to the drawing board
as its a NiCd or NiMh those go bad after some time of no use so you might have to replace the battery in the car itself
Old 10-17-2012, 06:00 PM
CasualRC

Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing that. I can't find the replacement batteries online anywhere though. Do you happen to know if the batteries are proprietary or if they are generic?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:42 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

never seen a zipzap personally so can't say
I'd look at the voltage on the battery, and try to find one similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8JMvVQPNN8
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/arc...?t-127015.html someone thinks its a 2/3 AAA NiMh would fit
on another forum someone said he sanded the battery connector down and it worked
Old 10-18-2012, 05:59 PM
CasualRC

Ahh I see. I'll hold onto that. I found out what was causing my problem. I guess, from sitting, one of the wires was barely connected to one of the soldering points. When it was connected solid, I got normal power from the car. It popped off eventually and I messed it up trying to use my level -1 soldering skills haha. I've soldered before, but this wire was so tiny and there's very minimum room to work with.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:48 AM
CasualRC

I've been searching around and I very much like the concept of these Takara Tomy Drift Package Light cars. They're 1/26 scale toy grade RC cars with AWD drive and hard plastic tires meant for nice indoor drifting. The size seems perfect for me. The cars are $20 - $30 on Ebay (or anywhere else you might find them). The problem is that they are really only available in China, so shipping is going to really offset that nice low price range.

There's also no proportional steering or throttle control as far as I know. But from what I can get out of the internet, it seems little cars like these are a ton of fun. Here's a demo video: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycHsFk1MErU]Takara Tomy Drift Package Light - Demo[/link]

Aside from those, the next best thing is the Maisto Tech Monster Drift cars. The idea is pretty much exactly the same, except they are 1/24 instead of 1/26. You can actually buy those in major stores like Toys R Us, and are cheaper on Ebay.

Anyone see anything else like this?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:24 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Ahh I see. I'll hold onto that. I found out what was causing my problem. I guess, from sitting, one of the wires was barely connected to one of the soldering points. When it was connected solid, I got normal power from the car. It popped off eventually and I messed it up trying to use my level -1 soldering skills haha. I've soldered before, but this wire was so tiny and there's very minimum room to work with.
yea I remember having to repair my bit's was not fun, and my soldering skills are pretty decent as I've done tons or soldering on boards(even had to solder jumpers onto a broken Pentium 2 back in the day)
good to hear it is something relatively simple, and cheap to fix.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:19 AM
CasualRC

yea I remember having to repair my bit's was not fun, and my soldering skills are pretty decent as I've done tons or soldering on boards(even had to solder jumpers onto a broken Pentium 2 back in the day)
good to hear it is something relatively simple, and cheap to fix.
Ah nice! Although I ended up demolishing the thing trying to solder it haha. Very little room to work with. I think I ended up melting the wire and definitely a screw hole on the chassis. Oh well, stripped the parts and maybe I'll order another in due time.

I'm also really interested in those cheapo drift cars. They look fun, despite the cheap & toy grade factor
Old 03-08-2015, 07:59 AM
OG.A.G.

Check out raidentech.com the 1/24th scale drift Cars are pretty Cool im trying to figure out how to mod them