Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Help buying my first large scale RC MT.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Help buying my first large scale RC MT.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 AM
StarscreamF22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help buying my first large scale RC MT.

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a 1/5th scale RC car/truck. So far my heart is leaning more towards a monster truck. I have been looking in to the Maverick Blackout V2 MT. I would like your opinions on this and would like to know if I were to purchase this for roughly £600 what things should I replace immediately so I won't be disappointed with something breaking or failing within the first couple of months. I am a complete n00b so the brand and exact model numbers of the replacement parts you suggest would be very helpful.

I intend to use this truck for general fun, nothing hardcore, no racing and not much bashing or jumping, just driving around in fields mainly.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 AM
splcrazy

Default RE: Help buying my first large scale RC MT.

ive heard the servos in them are crap , so mainly the throttle servo's and especially the steering servos need to be changed for some higher quality versions , radio gear is also junk get something like a spektrum dx3r pro . and a killer bee kill switch . the kill switch is like insurance for your rc against a runaway . stuff that wears out mostly will be clutches and spur gears .
Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 AM
DarkFire989

If you can swing it, why not try find a used FG MT5? A lot better quality.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:12 AM
racetruck

as said before the servos are hit and miss some last but most go bad fast replace the servos and radio the blackout and redcat are the same model i have a redcat and you want to check all the bolts and nuts to be sure they are tight and reloctite all metal to metal parts because some have been missed
Old 10-20-2012, 06:24 PM
StarscreamF22

What servos should I use for the steering and throttle? Exact model numbers would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 AM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: StarscreamF22

What servos should I use for the steering and throttle? Exact model numbers would be appreciated.
I used 3 Hitec HS-5755mg in my Nutech Thunderbolt III- 2 for steering and one throttle/brake. They work excellent especially turning cause my two front tires weigh almost 2 pounds each!

DEFINITELY want to get a kill switch!!! Unless you want to learn from experience, not saying a runaway will happen but if it does, just think where you are running at the time it happens, people can get hurt....just sayin!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:57 AM
racetruck

i run the HS5755MG for steering and throttle the HS645MG and had good luck with this setup running Hitec servos
Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM
mooman007uk

take a look at the ftx destroyer, also check out msuk forum ...quiet a few blackout owners on there sharing their experiences...both have crap servos but the ftx is lighter, faster and handles better
Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOSI 5IVE.................... do i need to saymore?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 AM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

stop being so biased mate , just because you have a losi doesnt suddenly mean its the only best rc out there . im not going to force the dude to get a hpi baja because i own one myself. The blackout maverick isnt the best truck rc out there but its not rubbish either and id buy one for sure hell . we could all tell him to go buy the best thing out there like an elcon or MCD monster truck , but he wants something to start off with thats decent in his price range and the maverick does the job ............do i need to say more ?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:05 AM
diy-pro

<pre style="line-height: 17px; white-space: normal; color: rgb(42, 42, 42); font-size: 13px; ">. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087058436...84.m1555.l2649 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087060641...84.m1555.l2649 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087063695...84.m1555.l2649 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087067925...84.m1555.l2649 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087071975...84.m1555.l2649 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087054041...84.m1555.l2649</pre>
Old 10-25-2012, 11:30 AM
pcarluvr

So the Blackout is also a Redcat Rampage? If so, that is the truck I was (should have) gonna get.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:09 PM
racetruck

they are made by the same company in china
Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 PM
tizdaz

yup, the price vs the blackout price would be a good start ^ also he said prefably a MT, a losi 5ive is a SC.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:10 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

stop being so biased mate , just because you have a losi doesnt suddenly mean its the only best rc out there . im not going to force the dude to get a hpi baja because i own one myself. The blackout maverick isnt the best truck rc out there but its not rubbish either and id buy one for sure hell . we could all tell him to go buy the best thing out there like an elcon or MCD monster truck , but he wants something to start off with thats decent in his price range and the maverick does the job ............do i need to say more ?
Does that mean because I own a 5ive I can't recomend them?
The 5ive is definatly ONE of the best off roaders out there, maby u need to read more reviews or something.
It handles so much better than a Baja, jumps better and unlike the Baja it's built on a race proven chassis layout.
HPI are not very well knowen for quality or race bread preformance, compared to other brands
Can't say anything about the elcon, but the MCD's around here are having durability issues, compared to the 5ives, also they can't jump as well and the struggle in less than perfect tracks... Add a few jumps and the MCD's don't stand a chance.... Mind u out of the box they have a faster top end, but the losi's with a pipe are faster down low where it all counts...... Do I need to say more?

Why not im bored, a 5ive is more durable, heaps of examples out there, how manny MCD's have busted arms and cvd's
Parts are cheaper for the losi including aftermarket and they are more available. Lower COG with the losi, and it's easier to work on.
Another good point for the losi, is some of the front and rear drive line parts are the same, so u can save a bit on spare parts, and the suspension pins are said to be stronger and can be upgraded to the TiN ones, also the losi has a less complicated drivetrain and the power is sent straight to the centre diff. The losi shocks are built to losi's specs... Polished bores... Spring retainer that does not turn on the ballend, lost of room for after market pipes, and there is more aftermarket upgrades for the 5ive. I would only use a MCD on on of those dead flat tracks in the UK... Well no I wouldent lol ha ha

Oh one other point... Customer service is very helpfull for noobs
Old 11-05-2012, 04:38 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: tizdaz

yup, the price vs the blackout price would be a good start ^ also he said prefably a MT, a losi 5ive is a SC.
Why cheap out, where for a little bit more... Also as with all scales of Rc cars, the bigger brands are heaps cheaper in spare parts and there parts are more durable.

For example the 5ive suspension arm are $15 compared to $25 for the Maverick... No kidding check out the prive of spare parts

I thought it might be worth the OP considering something close to a MT
Old 11-05-2012, 11:23 AM
pcarluvr

Buy what you want. Buy it, learn it, upgrade it, and have fun with it. I did not mention my Nutech Thunderbolt III because for it being my first 1/5 vehicle, my experience would not be favorable to someone who is absolutely new. When compared to the 5ive and the FG, I knew it was of a lower manufacturer. But I got a 4x4, added a body and MT tires for $839.00 shipped. Added a tuned pipe and some upgrades and I'd be at the price of an FG that is not 4x4. And customer support? Phew, you got no idea how good it's been from my supplier! I haven't broken a front/rear lower arm yet but they are only $10.13 for a pair! After this center diff upgrade, It should be bullet proof for my bashing needs. Even with some manufactures not having many quality issues, there is always something you are not happy with and end up spending the money anyway.