Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

EBay and PayPal: Used to buy warbird kits

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

EBay and PayPal: Used to buy warbird kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:08 AM
GTMUSTANGCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EBay and PayPal: Used to buy warbird kits

the whole world has gone to crap. so many people figuring out ways to get free money and/or merchandise. person to person, face to face transactions are the only way to do business any more. it's just sad.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:13 AM
GTMUSTANGCS

now some of the words i used in my sentence are in red and it links to an advertisement?? what the crap. I think i'm ready to move into the wilderness. LOL.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:07 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to write this, but if that ugly monkey you have as an avitar looks anything like you, I'd rather not do "face-to-face" business with you. [8D]
Old 10-25-2012, 02:37 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tardster

I had a bad deal with paypal a long time ago but thats the nature of the beast. I sold a transmitter on ebay, I shipped it, it had a tracking number and I even had proof of delievery with signature request. The buyer switched the form of delivery from signature to no signsture, which anyone can do if you send them the tracking number.
This I find very hard to understand. How can a buyer change anything that is already part of the tracking number, part of the imbedded barcode on the label and clearly says "Signature Tracking" or something to that effect right on the label ?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:33 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Giant_Scale_Gasser

,,,,,,,,,,,And if the item you sold is over $250 in value, you had better have gotten a signature on that. Yes, you are required to use sig confirmation on anything over $250. If you did not, they may hold your money until they get a response from the buyer. If the buyers chooses not to respond, they will return the payment to the buyer! This is Pay Pal policy and sadly many people open and ebay & Pay Pal account and just start selling without knowing how to protect themselves.
When did this policy go into affect?

Thanks for the heads up, I did not know this.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:05 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Finally, the light comes on. I refuse to use paypal as well. Bad taste in my mouth from them. Post office money orders work great. Bring the item to the PO with the money order and ship it. Cash back immediately.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

,,,,,,,,,,,And if the item you sold is over $250 in value, you had better have gotten a signature on that. Yes, you are required to use sig confirmation on anything over $250. If you did not, they may hold your money until they get a response from the buyer. If the buyers chooses not to respond, they will return the payment to the buyer! This is Pay Pal policy and sadly many people open and ebay & Pay Pal account and just start selling without knowing how to protect themselves.
When did this policy go into affect?

Thanks for the heads up, I did not know this.
If I had to guess, I'd say about 5 or 6 years ago or so.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:27 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: mike31

Finally, the light comes on. I refuse to use paypal as well. Bad taste in my mouth from them. Post office money orders work great. Bring the item to the PO with the money order and ship it. Cash back immediately.
I use Pay Pal for transaction that amounts to 7 figures a year. I have really never had an issue, ebay either. In fact the only time I ever lose any money is because of my parcel insurance company, but that is a whole different thread.

Postal money orders are great, but driving to the post office buring $4.00 a gallon gas, dealing with traffic, finding the time to even do it, then waiting in line for who knows how long and then paying counter rates (electronic postage is much cheaper) and all of a sudden that 2.9% Pay Pal charges..... seems like the best deal ever!!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:12 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dash7ATP

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Contact your state attorney genera'ls office and see what legal options you have. It could lead to a prosecution.
This I would definitely do!Good idea! Keep us informed please.

Dash
Yes and don't forget to tell your state attorney general how much you have sold on eBay and have not included as income on your income taxes. And don't forget to tell them how much you have bought and haven't paid sales tax. Seriously man, you start out saying you use eBay and PayPal to PURCHASE items but your complaint is about getting your money from SALES. And you say you are a "regular guy" but have over 40 transactions here in RCU alone - that doesn't sound like a regular guy. States are cracking down on tax abusers and we, the "regular guys" are getting the brunt of the problem tossed at us. eBay, PayPal, Amazon, all of them are getting hit with figuring out how to collect taxes because people aren't paying them on their own. And the solutions they come up with are very expensive to implement - they have to figure out how to pay for those fixes without pricing themselves out of business. Sorry, but I won't do business with someone who DOESN'T accept PayPal - it's insurance for me to make sure I get what I pay for.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Contact your state attorney genera'ls office and see what legal options you have. It could lead to a prosecution.
This I would definitely do!Good idea! Keep us informed please.

Dash
Yes and don't forget to tell your state attorney general how much you have sold on eBay and have not included as income on your income taxes. And don't forget to tell them how much you have bought and haven't paid sales tax. Seriously man, you start out saying you use eBay and PayPal to PURCHASE items but your complaint is about getting your money from SALES. And you say you are a "regular guy" but have over 40 transactions here in RCU alone - that doesn't sound like a regular guy. States are cracking down on tax abusers and we, the "regular guys" are getting the brunt of the problem tossed at us. eBay, PayPal, Amazon, all of them are getting hit with figuring out how to collect taxes because people aren't paying them on their own. And the solutions they come up with are very expensive to implement - they have to figure out how to pay for those fixes without pricing themselves out of business. Sorry, but I won't do business with someone who DOESN'T accept PayPal - it's insurance for me to make sure I get what I pay for.
AMEN...

And what he doesn't know is... he'll be reporting his Pay Pal earnings whether he likes it or not. Pay Pal is issuing 1099-Gs beginning with the last fiscal year on all payments processed by them. You are being reported, even if you don't think you are!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:00 AM
alanc

I have never used ebay, or paypal, but this postage thing, over here, in the UK, we have the option of several postage systems with the Royal Mail, top of the range is insured special delivery, this is a service that HAS to have a signature, or it goes back in the van, do you guys not have this sort of thing?we also haverecorded delivery, this also has to be signed for, but is for lesser value items,its dearer than standard post, but i would not post off anything valuble without it, can this sort of a charge not be born by the buyer?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:38 PM
RC-Bearings
My Feedback: (1)

What service did you use that had delivery confirmation to Canada?

And any dispute / claim after 3 months was initiated by the buyers credit card company as a chargeback. A buyer can ONLY file a claim for non-receipt for up to 45 days following the sale. After that, they cannot file any dispute or claim.

This is not strictly true. I had a seller who shorted me one battery and the second package arrived empty (confirmed by the PO). I refused the shipment at the PO and contacted the seller. Long story short, he strung me on until the 45 day period was expired. I contacted eBay and they said file the claim anyway because the seller acted in bad faith (I kept ALL the email traffic and eBay messages). They refunded my entire purchase over 60 days from the day I received the first item.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM
RC-Bearings

ORIGINAL: alanc

I have never used ebay, or paypal, but this postage thing, over here, in the UK, we have the option of several postage systems with the Royal Mail, top of the range is insured special delivery, this is a service that HAS to have a signature, or it goes back in the van, do you guys not have this sort of thing? we also have recorded delivery, this also has to be signed for, but is for lesser value items, its dearer than standard post, but i would not post off anything valuble without it, can this sort of a charge not be born by the buyer?
Yes, we have signed-for service and Registered mail. The return receipt is virtually useless if the buyer is intent on ripping you off. They simply do not return the card. One thing I can't figure out is why shipping costs are SOOO different coming from Hong Kong and going back to Hong Kong (or just about anywhere outside the USA). For me to send a small padded envelope registered to Hong Kong costs about $11-15. I have received registered padded envelopes from Hong Kong with free shipping and only paid $3 for the item.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM
RC-Bearings

I use Pay Pal for transaction that amounts to 7 figures a year. I have really never had an issue, ebay either. In fact the only time I ever lose any money is because of my parcel insurance company, but that is a whole different thread.

Postal money orders are great, but driving to the post office buring $4.00 a gallon gas, dealing with traffic, finding the time to even do it, then waiting in line for who knows how long and then paying counter rates (electronic postage is much cheaper) and all of a sudden that 2.9% Pay Pal charges..... seems like the best deal ever!!!!
Just cureous, just what do you sell to do 7 figures?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: RC-Bearings

And any dispute / claim after 3 months was initiated by the buyers credit card company as a chargeback. A buyer can ONLY file a claim for non-receipt for up to 45 days following the sale. After that, they cannot file any dispute or claim.

This is not strictly true. I had a seller who shorted me one battery and the second package arrived empty (confirmed by the PO). I refused the shipment at the PO and contacted the seller. Long story short, he strung me on until the 45 day period was expired. I contacted eBay and they said file the claim anyway because the seller acted in bad faith (I kept ALL the email traffic and eBay messages). They refunded my entire purchase over 60 days from the day I received the first item.
eBay gave you a courtesy refund, which they do from time to time and it's based on the circumstances of a situation. That has nothing to do with the 45 day period. You simply cannot file a dispute/claim after 45 days. It is simply not possible.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

Just cureous, just what do you sell to do 7 figures?
I am in the hobby business.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

A couple of points regarding the eBay requirement for online verifiable signature confirmation for amounts over $250:

On USA shipments, AVOID the Postal Service if you need signature confirmation.

As obtaining signatures when making deliveries is the exception rather than the norm with the USPS, many mail carriers will deliver the package and neglect to get the signature. This happened to me THREE TIMES before I quit using the USPS for $250+ eBay sales, but fortunately in none of those cases did the buyer attempt to defraud me. If one of them had claimed non-delivery, I would have simply been out of luck. I now ship FedEx Ground if the total amount (including shipping) is over $250. I have never had FedEx fail to obtain a signature when I have paid for it - and they often get signatures on home deliveries even when I haven't paid the extra for this service.

I also no longer allow international bidding on items that I expect to total over $250. The eBay requirement is for ONLINE VERIFIABLE signature confirmation, and the mail services in many countries cannot provide that all important online verifiable evidence of the signature. It is not enough to simply get the signature. It must be "online verifiable"
Old 10-25-2012, 06:18 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

This I would definitely do! Good idea! Keep us informed please.

Dash
Yes and don't forget to tell your state attorney general how much you have sold on eBay and have not included as income on your income taxes. And don't forget to tell them how much you have bought and haven't paid sales tax. Seriously man, you start out saying you use eBay and PayPal to PURCHASE items but your complaint is about getting your money from SALES. And you say you are a ''regular guy'' but have over 40 transactions here in RCU alone - that doesn't sound like a regular guy. States are cracking down on tax abusers and we, the ''regular guys'' are getting the brunt of the problem tossed at us. eBay, PayPal, Amazon, all of them are getting hit with figuring out how to collect taxes because people aren't paying them on their own. And the solutions they come up with are very expensive to implement - they have to figure out how to pay for those fixes without pricing themselves out of business. Sorry, but I won't do business with someone who DOESN'T accept PayPal - it's insurance for me to make sure I get what I pay for.
AMEN...

And what he doesn't know is... he'll be reporting his Pay Pal earnings whether he likes it or not. Pay Pal is issuing 1099-Gs beginning with the last fiscal year on all payments processed by them. You are being reported, even if you don't think you are!

You know its funny how they will come after you (government) for a few bucks in taxes that us reg folks make online, but not go after the millionaires that hides BILLION OVERSEAS. IS it just me or is there a lot wrong with this picture ? And the bad part is , there are some folks on here (this site) that will vote for this TURD , MITT. When will people wake up for gods sake.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 AM
alanc

it appears that your postal sevice is open to cheating and corruption by the recievers of your goods, our signatures are electronic, and can be seen on line, but i must say, the posty does not make an effort to see they are readable, i doubt i could recognise mine!!! but thanks for all the heads up on this subject, my wife has just posted on ebay, a $1400 wedding outfit she has worn once for our sons wedding, we will be carefull with the postage on this outfit, just from reading this den of horrors!!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:06 AM
RC-Bearings

eBay gave you a courtesy refund, which they do from time to time and it's based on the circumstances of a situation. That has nothing to do with the 45 day period. You simply cannot file a dispute/claim after 45 days. It is simply not possible.

THEY filed the claim for me. It helps to be courtious and have all the documentation as well.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:08 AM
RC-Bearings

ORIGINAL: Silvaire

A couple of points regarding the eBay requirement for online verifiable signature confirmation for amounts over $250:

On USA shipments, AVOID the Postal Service if you need signature confirmation.

As obtaining signatures when making deliveries is the exception rather than the norm with the USPS, many mail carriers will deliver the package and neglect to get the signature. This happened to me THREE TIMES before I quit using the USPS for $250+ eBay sales, but fortunately in none of those cases did the buyer attempt to defraud me. If one of them had claimed non-delivery, I would have simply been out of luck. I now ship FedEx Ground if the total amount (including shipping) is over $250. I have never had FedEx fail to obtain a signature when I have paid for it - and they often get signatures on home deliveries even when I haven't paid the extra for this service.

I also no longer allow international bidding on items that I expect to total over $250. The eBay requirement is for ONLINE VERIFIABLE signature confirmation, and the mail services in many countries cannot provide that all important online verifiable evidence of the signature. It is not enough to simply get the signature. It must be ''online verifiable''
If you use REGISTERED mail, the PO will not deliver it without a signature. Merely using the signature card is not reliable since it is up to the receiver to fill out the card.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:34 AM
tardster
My Feedback: (2)

I had a bad deal with paypal a long time ago but thats the nature of the beast. I sold a transmitter on ebay, I shipped it, it had a tracking number and I even had proof of delievery with signature request. The buyer switched the form of delivery from signature to no signsture, which anyone can do if you send them the tracking number.
This I find very hard to understand. How can a buyer change anything that is already part of the tracking number, part of the imbedded barcode on the label and clearly says ''Signature Tracking'' or something to that effect right on the label ?

I buy something from you and you send me the tracking number I can go online and check it. While I'm online looking at the delivery date I can change it. I can change the time, the day and if I don't feel like signing for it I can change it if it requests a signature to just have the UPS guy drop it off on my porch. I thought the same way as you but I have done it once to see if I could do it and those UPS/FEDEX and USPS guys don't care. I just got an order from Tower Hobbies that had all four of my 4 stroke engines, my new fasstpak set and some other things that cost me well over $1000.00 left on the ground next to my step and he did not knock or get my signature which I requested when I placed my order from Tower Hobbies. Now if I wasn't honest I could have had 2 of everything because he didn't get my signature but that's not me.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

This I find very hard to understand. How can a buyer change anything that is already part of the tracking number, part of the imbedded barcode on the label and clearly says ''Signature Tracking'' or something to that effect right on the label ?

I buy something from you and you send me the tracking number I can go online and check it. While I'm online looking at the delivery date I can change it. I can change the time, the day and if I don't feel like signing for it I can change it if it requests a signature to just have the UPS guy drop it off on my porch. I thought the same way as you but I have done it once to see if I could do it and those UPS/FEDEX and USPS guys don't care. I just got an order from Tower Hobbies that had all four of my 4 stroke engines, my new fasstpak set and some other things that cost me well over $1000.00 left on the ground next to my step and he did not knock or get my signature which I requested when I placed my order from Tower Hobbies. Now if I wasn't honest I could have had 2 of everything because he didn't get my signature but that's not me.
Ummmmm... Maybe it's me, but there is no way you can change anything on a USPS shipment from the tracking number. Unless you know some backdoor method, there is no way to do that unless you have access to the shippers USPS account that shipped it.

With UPS you can intercept a package, but you are limited on what you can do, and removing a signature service is not an option. You can send it back, forward it to a different address, reschedule for another day or you can request it to be will call. But you cannot remove any services, such as signature confirmation nor can you change services, such as make it 3 day select from ground service.

The fact that your UPS driver didn't get a signature is just proof those guys are overpaid. I ship UPS / USPS / Fed Ex everyday. I spend well into the 6 figures a year on postage. Nobody can change my services at will. In fact, just for giggles, I just logged into my UPS account to see if what you saying has any merit. I cannot removed signature from an inbound UPS shipment due in on Monday. It is about $2500 worth of inventory. I can reschedule it, return it, will call it or ship to a different address, but I have to be logged in to even attempt that.

I ship about 3000 - 5000 packages a month. Never, not once of doing this for a very long time now has anyone, ever, changed anything on our outbounds. If I pay for a service, say Sig confirm, there is simply no way for my customers to remove or alter that. I think you are mistaken.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Bill G

ORIGINAL: Chris Nicastro

Simple... Don't use any of them, deal direct with the customer and use cashiers checks, money orders, personal checks, credit cards,etc. and wait for funds to clear before shipping.
I used PP a couple times and didn't like it so I quite them. I was a heavy Ebay user but they have changed completely since the mid to late 90's so I stopped using them as well.
In both cases I don't miss either of them and see no need to use them in the future.

The loudest message these companies will hear is your lack of participation because it hits them in balance sheets.
Absolutely.
In addition, the way I see it is that a person should only deal with someone they have some faith in, while also understanding that Paypal is not real protection. Once a person gets that, they realize that Paypal is irrelevant. They ruined the old trader system, where folks used Postal MOs and dealt with known traders. The beauty of that system is that the person will almost certainly cash the MO at the post office, and if they are reputable, then they will be shipping your package at the same time, while they are there. Since they want to cash the MO, they have incentive to ship your goods quickly. I quit trying to trade, after Paypal came along. When you put items up as local pickup and also list a great price, you get a number of profanity laced and insulting replies, which pretty much ruins that also.

Paypal has gone the same way Facebook is going, now that FB is starting to charge businesses in order to allow their friends to see their updates. Once people give these sites a monopoly, they need to be abandoned or they will get completely out of hand, as they are already.