Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Repairing fiberglass cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Repairing fiberglass cowl

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:15 PM
devil505
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing fiberglass cowl

I have a fiberglass cowl that I need to repair. I have the fiberglass cloth but no resin. Do I have to use resign or is there other stuff I can use, thanks
Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Repairing fiberglass cowl

Use 30 minute epoxy with the cloth. No special epoxy needed. Any brand you find in the local hobby shop will work great.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:42 PM
devil505
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would any 2 part apoxy work. I have some harbor freight stuff that is 2 part.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:42 PM
da Rock

Nowadays we what we call a fiberglass cowl could be composed of polyester resin and cloth just like when fiberglass parts first showed up, or they could be composed of epoxy resin and cloth. Just looking at a part nowadays, it's pretty much impossible to be sure which resin was used. You can guess by looking at the damage but that's not necessary.

Usually polyester resin won't stick to epoxy very well. Epoxy resin will stick to both itself and the polyester. So to repair without worry, use epoxy.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:45 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: devil505

Would any 2 part apoxy work. I have some harbor freight stuff that is 2 part.

Yup

However it's best to use at least 30 minute for best wetting, penetration, and strength.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Medium CA no kicker and 2-6 oz. cloth works very well for repairs on cowlings and wheel pants, been doing it for years.

Bob
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: da Rock

Nowadays we what we call a fiberglass cowl could be composed of polyester resin and cloth just like when fiberglass parts first showed up, or they could be composed of epoxy resin and cloth. Just looking at a part nowadays, it's pretty much impossible to be sure which resin was used. You can guess by looking at the damage but that's not necessary.

Usually polyester resin won't stick to epoxy very well. Epoxy resin will stick to both itself and the polyester. So to repair without worry, use epoxy.
Been there, ran into this!! Also make sure you clean the cowl before you ever try to repair it. I stick them into hot soapy water and scrub them real good, then I clean them with alcohol and acetone. Any oil will keep the epoxy or resin from sticking. Do a test in a small area to make sure it's going to stick.On the outside to hide the cracks I use a Bondo spot filler, easy to sand and it paints well.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 AM
kenh3497

Polyester resin when you sand it will have a "sweet" smell to it. Epoxy will be odorless for the most part. Getting rid of any oil is essential. Epoxy, IMO, is the preferred resin to use to repair. It sticks to itself and polyester well.

Ken
Old 11-10-2012, 09:04 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: sensei

Medium CA no kicker and 2-6 oz. cloth works very well for repairs on cowlings and wheel pants, been doing it for years.

Bob

Been doing the same as well. CA works great on either resin system. The only difference is that I will use the CA to glue the peices back together and then add a single layer of 4 oz cloth to the inside. As otheres have stated, getting the part clean before any repair is key

Old 11-11-2012, 04:03 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMHO, Gray Beard and sensei have the best answers. As clean as you can get it, CA and fiberglass cloth for the repairs. My experience has proven that epoxy does NOT hold well with a part made from polyester resin.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:24 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warm up the epoxy a bit and that will thin it out so it can be applied easier. If it is 30min or longer epoxy you can mix about 15% alcohol in it to thin it out too.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The cowl for the Eflite T-34 must be polyester then, I used regular Bondo resin and glass to repair it and it is looking good. Stuck very good to it too.