Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hobby King turbine!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hobby King turbine!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Seamus OLeprosy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby King turbine!

ORIGINAL: drdoom

ORIGINAL: Seamus OLeprosy

ORIGINAL: drdoom

For all of you who cant wait, Their is a host of good used Jetcats and Central jet in the RCU Classified. Some priced very reasonable.
Any with warranties or guaranties?
In the USA you can purchase a transfer with Jet Central. and I'm not asking you to not wait, go ahead and wait . Let us know how Hobby kings Customer service is.
Thanks for that, I was only asking.
Your level of agression may need addressing.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Seamus OLeprosy

Thanks for that, sorry I asked!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

Hi Paul
Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Why that sounds great..!! Now let's look at your vehicle, play toys ATV's, Motorcycles, Appliances, TV's, Furniture, plumbing fixtures, clothes, shoes and last but not least UNDERWEAR...!!!. Seriously you might be surprised where all of this stuff is made, conduct a survey for us, I am curious..!!

ORIGINAL: llindsey1965

this is a lost cause , no wonder we have so much unemployment , we are suppose to unite agianst the world , but we want cheap cheap , then we cry and whine when something tears up , as for my equipment my DA engines are 95% american made , my planes are built by Nir Schwitzer here in the USA virgina , as far as my radio i purchased a kraft signature made in the USA and had radio south convert it to 2.4 , my servos and batteries are all that is not made in the USA thank you!!!! so over 80% of my hobby is made in the USA!!!!! what about yours??
Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ikea seems to be the world wide service point HK is talking about, stocking up on spareparts for the HK turbine.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 AM
J.F

Brilliant!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:00 PM
rcaircraftnut

I too am of a wait and see attitude, not because I lack skill or knowlege, but because I have a limited budget of time and money. If there were a proven reliable inexpensive turbine with parts availible and decent support I would be all over it. Untill that time I will fly ducted fans. As far as worrying (tired and cant spell) about someone having no or low skill getting thie hands on one pls consider the fact that I have under $50 in my Jett Q500 .40 powered 32" Scremin Demon and it is faster than a lot of turbin jets I have seen in person. I also have another Demon that is getting a Jett F.I.R.E. .50 on a pipe that is ported to turn over 20,000 static. It should go real close to 200 mph or more. These models take no more skill to fly than a sport low wing model. My 3D birds are much harded to fly and controll as they can turn and react much more quickly. I have never ordered from HK as I am impatient and usually buy from my LHS or used from friends.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:45 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Justflying1

I'm not here to say anything bad about this turbine as I don’t know ant thing about it.
I will however say that before you buy this turbine you mite what to think about a few things.
1. Price compared to other brands. We all know that Kingtech has have a relatively cheep turbine which is proven, and reliable.
2. Are parts available.
3. Where do I get it serviced. Who is willing to touch it.
4. Does it run as reliable as other proven turbines.
5. Can you get support if you have problems.
6. Are you willing to be the guinea pig until these turbines get a name for them selves.
7. Well if you are willing to be a guinea pig lets hope that the name they get is a good one for your sake.
Sometimes but not always something cheep ends up being very expensive.
Just my 2cents worth to think about everyone.
Above is very well said. I would add only one comment and that it flying Turbine jets is no joke and not to be compared to any type of RC flying objects. In case of failure, serious injury and damage could be of consequence and the whole Hobby could be at stake because of this. i.e. if Turbines become more accessible to average budgeted flyers this could be a direct cause which could lead to above regardless reliability of product....

Regards,

Regards,
Old 11-06-2012, 03:28 AM
rcaircraftnut

I am of less than average budget as a flyer. I fly as good or better than most of the unlimited budget flyers I have seen and met. Believe me it makes them very upset. I have learned over the last 21 years in the hobby that money does not equal responsibility or skill. Your elitist attitude is not welcome by me or others like me. If what you say is fact, then if I being a below average budget modeler, save up and buy a turbine. ANT TURBINE! I will immediately go and and do something with it to end all aeromodeling worldwide as I don't the money and budget to be a turbine. flyer. Pls take a long look at what you posted and then at yourself. You need to realise that we are all grown men, well some of us are still boys, playing with TOY aircraft. Rant off.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

rcaircraftnut,

Didn't mean to offend anyone here. I fully agree with you that it has nothing to do with money!! Skills and sens of responsability is the key to safer flying. The idea i was trying to convey was with less expensive turbine stuff available around, you will have much more people interested in going into jets than ever before and consequently increasing the potential of having serious accidents.

BTW, i am also an average budgeted flyer and personnaly, i would love to see cheaper, affordable turbines offered on the market....

Old 11-06-2012, 02:05 PM
rcaircraftnut

I am sorry I seem to have misread your post. I just deal with so much of the my wallet is bigger than yours crowd at the same time as the 3D is bad for the hobby crowd, along with the ALL3D is UNSAFE crowd, that I sometimes overreact. I enjoy all segments of this wonderfull hobby. I do it to escape from the reality of my less than wonderfull life lol. I dont like drama mixed in with my fun. So anyone who gets that I am better than you because I have more money attitude really upsets me. I have been flying rc for over 20 yrs and they never seem to get the point. We ALL need to coegsist so that everyone can enjoy the hobby. I fly scale, 3D, helis, sport, speed, and now am getting into jets for the first time. I also have done cars, trucks, and combat warships in the past. Got fed up with the warship club for taking it to the extreem with realism. Build to scale, scale speed, scale turnig radius, scale size guns, only cargo vessles without armament can ram, ect. list went on for days. Took the fun rite out of it.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I might get flamed for saying this, but I think this facet of the hobby is one crash-n-burn away from going bye-bye. If HK (and outfits like them which specialize in cheap/volume-with-no-need-for-quality-or-support as a business model) get into the turbine business, then that's just that many more people (who don't know any better) out there buying dangerous junk. If you can't trust HK to get the small things right, then why on earth would you trust them to get the big things right? If HK's reputation is basically that all they really care about is whether or not you bought it... and not if you're happy with it... then why should a high-stakes, complicated item like a turbine be any different?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:08 PM
BillJohnson
Banned

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

I might get flamed for saying this, but I think this facet of the hobby is one crash-n-burn away from going bye-bye. If HK (and outfits like them which specialize in cheap/volume-with-no-need-for-quality-or-support as a business model) get into the turbine business, then that's just that many more people (who don't know any better) out there buying dangerous junk. If you can't trust HK to get the small things right, then why on earth would you trust them to get the big things right? If HK's reputation is basically that all they really care about is whether or not you bought it... and not if you're happy with it... then why should a high-stakes, complicated item like a turbine be any different?
Upon what do you base your views of Hobby King. Have you bought much from them. People should realise that there are many more people who have good views of Hobby king that have bad
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've bought a lot from HK in the past. Been burned a lot too, and have gone to battle with them on PayPal and charge backs when they have taken my money without shipping product or shipped whole hardheartedly defective products. Specifically, they sell junk if there is electronics involved with potentially a few gems in there here and there. However, I have also been happy with some things and some experiences with HK to be fair. Wire and shrink tube is a good deal, and some hardware like bolts, etc, I will still occasionally buy still in the future but no more on anything big. As far as the batteries go, I've had good luck with them in the past and have also gotten a few turds but I have not bothered to try to get my money back on the defective ones.

After my last foray into HK junk I finally admitted to the pattern that I was in with not getting what I needed with HK. I've pretty much resigned myself that the three year "experiment" into buying from them has cost me a lot of time and saved me only a few pennies up front. BUT, it has then cost me a lot more in the end because I eventually buy a quality item later to replace the "deal" I thought I stumbled upon. I could have saved on the purchase price of the junk item by not buying it and saved a big load on the expensive shipping and saved precious time if I had just gone with what I knew would work the first time for a little more up front. As far as batteries go, there are now better choices available to me to purchase from domestic sources here that provide better product (lighter plus better voltage) for not a whole lot more compared the to performance upgrade I get.

As an experienced turbine modeler I would have to say to any friend of mine considering buying a turbine from Hobby King: Get ahold of yourself mate! Don't do it! I've got a lot of experience flying turbines and I've got a lot of experience buying from HK. They are not a good fit IMHO. A new turbine modeler needs and wants a local/regional source for technical and maintenance support that is experienced and a phone call away. Believe me, it will make the difference between a lot of regret and a very happy experience. I can't see for one moment that anyone will get that level of support you will want and need from HK. And good luck on any resale value if you buy a HK turbine. With, for example, a Wren or a Jetcat or anything else legit you'd be able to get something out of the deal in a re sale or trade in when you wanted to move up or on to something else. I don't see that happening with a Jet Joe or a HK turbine.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:34 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,

I also might get flamed Sean, especially being the distributor for an already established brand of turbine engines.

Since the prices of aluminum and inconel is a constant worldwide, it's doubtful that anyone could get the price of a turbine engine any lower and still be reliable, not mentioning performance, service and support...

Good luck to all,
Barry

Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

Material costs may be similar the world over but other costs vary widely. What percentage of the retail cost on a Jet Cat or Kingtec are aluminium and inconel?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably more than most people think, especially after machining, cost of R&D and making and remaking of molds....., nevertheless, good luck and all the best!

Barry
Old 11-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

Machining, R&D and toolmaking are not material costs.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

This has little to do with my point. If the engine Barry deals cost them $100 to make, it wouldn't change anything. Barry has established a certain reputation in this business with his product and his support. Kingtech engines have proven to be a well-supported, quality product.... that's the reputation. That reputation supports a newbie going that route for a competitively-priced alternative to more expensive brands. Hobby King has also established a certain reputation, and that reputation substantiates the case for steering clear of them on a high-end purchase like a turbine.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,

This has little to do with my point. If the engine Barry deals cost them $100 to make, it wouldn't change anything. Barry has established a certain reputation in this business with his product and his support. Kingtech engines have proven to be a well-supported, quality product.... that's the reputation. That reputation supports a newbie going that route for a competitively-priced alternative to more expensive brands. Hobby King has also established a certain reputation, and that reputation substantiates the case for steering clear of them on a high-end purchase like a turbine.
+1

Pretty much sums up both Barry's reputation, and Hobbyking's.

Shaz
Old 11-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

Sorry guys you I was addressing this point he raised 

"Since the prices of aluminum and inconel is a constant worldwide, it's doubtful that anyone could get the price of a turbine engine any lower and still be reliable......"

He does not see how the price of a turbine reduced because the price of materials is constant On a purely economic basis it's not the savings on material costs that potentially will give new manafactureres a cost advantage. 

Old 11-07-2012, 11:21 PM
BillJohnson
Banned

I have 14 Turbines and have been flying turbines for 8 years, I keep hearing people speaking about needing support from the manufacturer. I dont get this part of the arguement. Over the 8 years and more flights than I can count the only engine that I have have had to send back because of problems was one of my jetcat P20's. What is all this servicing and support I keep hearing about

People just like to put Hobby King down because they are doing well and have found a way to do business that works in the modern world. If they were half as bad as people would have you believe they would not have survived and be doing so well. The proof is in the pudding.

I am sure the HK turbine will be cheapish but not so cheap that people who have no idea how to fly will buy one so I think the whole cheap is dangerous arguement is nonsense

Old 11-07-2012, 11:56 PM
RCJetBazz

...On a purely economic basis it's not the savings on material costs that potentially will give new manafactureres a cost advantage.

You aint' done with your statment, what is it? cloning or violating proprietary rights? inferior materials?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

I can only go by what I see, and what I've seen in my years as a hobby shop manager and a long-time jet pilot/builder tells me what I've already stated. In a way, it's great for you that your experience leads you to a different conclusion, but that doesn't make my conclusion 'nonsense.'

You may not have needed service or support (again, a GREAT thing), but I have a feeling that if when the day came that you DID need support and HK told you to go kick rocks... you'd be none too happy.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 AM
BillJohnson
Banned

ORIGINAL: RCJetBazz

...On a purely economic basis it's not the savings on material costs that potentially will give new manafactureres a cost advantage.

You aint' done with your statment, what is it? cloning or violating proprietary rights? inferior materials?

You are speaking about laws and principals that apply in the US (and other countries)US laws do not apply in China

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.