Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

very first airplane-where do i start?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

very first airplane-where do i start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Michael Powell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: very first airplane-where do i start?

QUOTE: Eh, no. They've disappeared because of A) lower margins due to Asian competition. B) lower manufacturing costs in third world countries C) direct marketing via the internet.

Lazy thinking. You can directly market from Poolsville. Taxes are very low in Poolesville. And they use robots in manufacture these days, so wage costs are not a significant issue anymore. Germany and Japan both manage, and their wages rates are higher than your own. That applies to this country, we innovate but can't manufacture well, but it's got fek all to do with production costs or the Internet. The way you are determined to crush all my points suggests that you aren't familiar with having dissent in the ranks. Ha, tough, that's life in the real world, so get used to it.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Michael Powell

Lazy thinking. You can directly market from Poolsville. Taxes are very low in Poolesville.
Non-sequitur

If I were to market this stuff myself from my local, I would be purchasing from Asian manufacturing houses to be able to compete on price.

This is exactly what the "big boys", e.g. Hobbico, Horizon, etc. do.

What does this have to do with trainers and slope soaring again?

And they use robots in manufacture these days, so wage costs are not a significant issue anymore. Germany and Japan both manage, and their wages rates are higher than your own.
And yet most German and Japanese products are predominately manufactured in China or incur a non competitive cost when not ( e.g. O.S. engines manufactured in Japan ).

Again what does this have to do with any of this?

The way you are determined to crush all my points suggests that you aren't familiar with having dissent in the ranks.
If that's what you think, that's your perogative.

However it doesn't make your original suggestions any less poor advice.

I'd be equally against advising people to stick their hands into a spinning prop too.

Get used to that.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Michael Powell

Forgive me, I only normally meet very intelligent erudite and sophisticated Americans. They tell me your sort exists but we tend not to go to that area of the boondocks. I've met Frank Gehry, Buckminster Fuller and Frank Lloyd Wright, and lots of Pullitzer Prize Winners. I now picture you as one of the others, rather obese, with a few failed matrimonial relationships, and a job working for the govermnment.

I expect you are a trainer. It may be because you said 'Me, me, me!!' rather than because you knew anything about the subject. In my line of work I meet a lot or artisans who know one way of doing things and are most vexed when somebody expects them to think a bit wider.

Have you trouble experiencing the new? Do,you find it rather difficult to cope with? Do you work for the government? Perhaps in the military. Have you ever done a worthwhile job? Do you have a job?

Still, it takes all sorts. But let me tell you, it's easy to calculate how long your thousands of postings on this site have taken, and it's clear you rarely ever leave the house. Which explains why you are so fat and inexperienced.

Do even have a degree?

Old 11-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I didn't say that you are backward colonials who cannot look forward, but then you go on to cite an example from seventy years ago!!! How could you??

Besides I have spent a great deal of time in lovely Yale University over the last ten years, and know Dupont Circle in Washington DC better than my home town, and like it better too. And not just for the nearby Air and Space Museum. I know flying clubs over there, and they aren't much different from those over here, except for the weather.

No, there are people everywhere who sell decrepid antiques and others who sell beautiful modern furniture, and you won't have any problem working out my preference.

My interest is with the new. The New World was usually the place we turned to for inspiration in music, architecture and, certainly, RC. It's a great disappointment that this isn't true anymore. And painful to see. It must be a problem at the grass roots because without a healthy, thriving and developing client base the industries will not emerge and develop new products.

We know the iPhone was designed by an Englishman and built by the Koreans in China. We know that all the great RC companies I mentioned earlier have gone. we know that your car giants have had to go cap in hand to the taxpayer.

How could this have happened?

Actually, it was very easy. I used an example of American forward thinking from 1940 to show how much you don't know about this country. Packard was able to produce enough Merlins to power all the Mustangs built while still having spares for replacements as needed AND supply engines needed for production of Spitfires and that wood plane the RAF claimed to be a fighter. Now, lets move up to the present, not one of our aircraft companies gets government subsidies like Airbus, something that allows that firm to undercut Boeing at almost every turn. Sounds like unfair business practices to me. The Chinese use low cost labor to get the same results as the Airbus subsidies so, again, cost per unit is lower. Now, let's go back to your argument. You stated that Opjose was using lazy thinking and that a small town I've never heard of is where he should be marketing things from. I don't know what you're drinking or smoking but over here, we see things as they really are. Products imported from China are killing the domestic manufacturer by undercutting the domestic product prices to below the material costs to make the same product here. That's not lazy thinking, it's reality. I do have a question for you though. When did Korea become part of China?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Forgive me, I only normally meet very intelligent erudite and sophisticated Americans. They tell me your sort exists but we tend not to go to that area of the boondocks. I've met Frank Gehry, Buckminster Fuller and Frank Lloyd Wright, and lots of Pullitzer Prize Winners. I now picture you as one of the others, rather obese, with a few failed matrimonial relationships, and a job working for the govermnment.

I expect you are a trainer. It may be because you said 'Me, me, me!!' rather than because you knew anything about the subject. In my line of work I meet a lot or artisans who know one way of doing things and are most vexed when somebody expects them to think a bit wider.

Have you trouble experiencing the new? Do,you find it rather difficult to cope with? Do you work for the government? Perhaps in the military. Have you ever done a worthwhile job? Do you have a job?

Still, it takes all sorts. But let me tell you, it's easy to calculate how long your thousands of postings on this site have taken, and it's clear you rarely ever leave the house. Which explains why you are so fat and inexperienced.

Do even have a degree?

I see lots of "me me me" in this post as well. We don't care who you say you know or what you think. We also don't take kindly to snobbish people with a superiority complex such as your last post indicates. Just remember the fact that WE bailed you Brits out twice in the last 100 years and how you're not speaking German because of it before you fall off that high horse you seem to enjoy riding on
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 PM
opjose

Do even have a degree?
Wow... that's the best support you can muster for yourself?

A childish attempt to draw people into your name calling? Rather sad.

I see nothing in that post that supports anything you've said nor refutes anyone nor anything.

When posting to forums, or participating in any discussion or argument it is a good idea to stick to the point.

One would assume you've learned that by now.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:00 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have sent a report ticket on Mr. Powells outlandish behavior and blatant violation of all the posting rules here at RCU in this thread to the moderators and if any others would care to do the same (its that little button on the lower right that says 'report') then I am sure this kind of argumenitive and destructive posting will be handled appropriately.

John
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Michael Powell

I never lose an argument, but there will always be people who run away from the truth, so go ahead. Freedom of speech means nothing to you?

Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Michael Powell

I never lose an argument, but there will always be people who run away from the truth, so go ahead. Freedom of speech means nothing to you?

Old 11-13-2012, 03:49 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, John. You are right. Must be something in the air. Thanks for the head's up.

T'is the season for adolescent behavior I guess. I didn't get assigned the ticket, but I can certainly take action. It is time. Man, this is two today.

I was going to edit out several of the posts that were obvious violations of RCU rules, but it seems that the action would have me deleting or editing to darned many posts. So, as much as it pains me, and even considering it was going well at first, and some members that I both admire and respect, Mr67Stang, John, and ' Beard, and others, have placed very applicable posts, I am locking this thread down.

Michael, learn to take constructive criticism.

CGr.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:24 AM
CGRetired

ATTENTION EVERYONE LOOKING IN THIS THREAD:

I received a few PM's from posters in this thread that are upset about my actions locking this thread down. They asked me to edit out the very negative comments by some posters and reviving it so that they can read of the successes of the original poster with his attempts to fly RC.

I unlocked it, not from pressure, but to acknowledge a request from those that I admire and respect very much and intend to keep a very close eye on this thread and will close it down again at the first sign of any negativity.

One more thing. Someone in this thread sent a very nasty PM to one of the other posters in this thread. I am not happy with the content of that PM and intend to take action on behalf of the individual that received the very nasty PM. The person that sent the PM knows who he is as do I. If that continues, you can expect that the person sending those types of PM's will be forever banned from ever accessing ANY threads on RCU. RCKen, who is "our boss", has been notified and will also be keeping a very close eye on how this progresses.

So, be warned. Keep on subject and avoid the negativity. We will not tolerate such behavior.

CGRetired
Beginners Moderator.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Good job, lets keep it civilized, especially the OP is a newcomer, what is he going to think about us?[X(]
Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: opjose

Do even have a degree?
Wow... that's the best support you can muster for yourself?

A childish attempt to draw people into your name calling? Rather sad.

I see nothing in that post that supports anything you've said nor refutes anyone nor anything.

When posting to forums, or participating in any discussion or argument it is a good idea to stick to the point.

One would assume you've learned that by now.
opjose, that post from Michael brings to mind something I have thought about often as I grow older. Knowledge is one matter and can be destructive, but understanding and the wisdom to use that knowledge correctly is a greater matter and a more worthy cause with great benefits. I have found many knowledgeable men in my life that failed in understanding and using wisdom in its utilization
Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

opjose, that post from Michael brings to mind something I have thought about often as I grow older. Knowledge is one matter and can be destructive, but understanding and the wisdom to use that knowledge correctly is a greater matter and a more worthy cause with great benefits. I have found many knowledgeable men in my life that failed in understanding and using wisdom in its utilization
Yup. Very true.

Thanks to CGRetired, we can get back to the actual questions in this thread.

To anyone starting out, there are very valid reasons why you tend to hear the same advice over and over again, which this thread opened with.

The "tried and true" techniques are the safest and usually the cheapest and most enjoyable avenues to get into and stay in the hobby.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:00 AM
carddfann

Something else to consider when buying a used radio or plane with radio is how old the batteries are and how well they were cared for. They may seem ok for the moment, but you don't want them to fail your 3rd or 4th time up. To be safe I would buy a new transmitter battery and receiver battery. Check for any local hobby shops. They'll be able to set up up with a club or someone in the area who can instruct you.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Alena23

can't we all just get along ? I come to this site because I was told there were little arguements and "keyboard warriors" but I guess that's the Internet these days. anyways it seems conflict has been resolve. I just wanted to update to everybody that at about noon today, I SOLO FOR VERY FIRST TIME!! I got into the air and got "three mistakes high" and then fly simple figure eight pattern. after ten or so minute I slow down and everyone else land and get out of way because It was very first totally alone flight and I landed second try no I did not kill anyone and the airplane is Intact. I showed up another person at club who started about the same time as I did. we had a race to solo first. being beat by a girl with no previous experience must not be fun haha. so now I have been think about just getting a better feel for flying then I will take off the training aids. I already take off the flaps on wings that slow you down and now I just have the spin stops on wing edges but I have been told to leave them because they prevent spins and I don't want to spin and crash. maybe later I will cut the tape and pull them off. but so far I have been flying on laptop and practicing landings. the computer game it include helps I think. who ever said it did not must have not try it or something because it really has improved my turns and the fact that my crashes can be reset while it is not so easy in real life. but thanks fore everyone's help to get me started into this hobby. what have I been missing. I had the idea to paint airplane. I want to make it a bright orange or yellow. maybe a two tone. I was wondering if any of you guys had recommendations or advice on if it is possible and if spray paint work. I don't want it to eat the film though. some plastics will get eaten by paint I know. oh god I think I just lost my life to this hobby.. thanks everyone!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 PM
opjose

Not just your life... your wallet too!

Welcome to the addiction! Your life has changed.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Yes, this hobby is one that will grab you and hold you like CA glue and that is a good thing because there is so much you can learn and along the way - you can have so much fun

My dad and I built a plane when I was around ten years old and we never flew it. It was a Cessna Skylane or Skyhawk and I thought it was the coolest thing. I remember we had to use dope for the covering. It was a lot of work.

Over the years life came along and I traded the plane off to someone and that was the end of it. I never flew. Around six years ago my dad passed away and I had the thoughts that I wanted to finish what my dad and I had started close to fifty years ago by learning to fly an RC plane.

Wow....what a journey it has been. Learning was pretty tough for me, but I hung in there. I started at it about three years ago and I have had so much fun and accomplishments. I have several nitro planes and three gassers now and one is a 50cc gasser which is a big plane for me.

I so enjoy flying that 50cc plane that I go home with a big grin on my face after flying it. I have been increasing my flying skills each time out as I always set goals and attempt to accomplish them. I can state that if you challenge yourself you will never get bored in this hobby.

Congratulations on your solo. Great job and happy flying!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:05 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: Alena23

ok everyone sorry for no updates lately. I have been flying about daily and getting the hang. now I can fly without he input of and instructor and I have landed a few times. today I am going to solo. I had a few flight where the instructor never touched the controls so I think I am ready. I did come into land way to fast and high but I cut the engine so I was not able to go around. I hit the ground and bounced like twice before going of into the field and eventually slowing down and crashing but I only bent the nose wheel back. nothing serious at all thank god. I think the trick to landing is comin in at a near stall and starting early and just putting it down. thanks for all the help guys, wish me luck
There is trim on the throttle, you should be able to cut the engine (shut it off) by pulling it down when the throttle is all the way down too at idle. You also should (especially with an OS engine) be able to idle all day long on the ground, throttle up and not have any hesitation, properly tuned. The RTF model you have is successful as you have proven, to teach you to fly. The OS manual will help you learn how to adjust the mixture to have a fast transition. Print
http://manuals.hobbico.com/hca/hcaa17-engine-manual.pdf
The guys you fly with should be able to show you also where the idle (low speed) mixture screw is located. The ears of the fuselage hug that engine, I can't remember when I saw the last Nexstar is access to the idle screw is easy to get to, but you'll need a very small flat head screwdriver and adjust it 1/8 turn at a time to get a better transition. More common on these is a rich setting from the factory, as you broke in the engine by now, a leaner mixture will clear up the issue with the engine dying on you if throttled back for a time. Turn the screw clockwise for a leaner mixture, counter-clockwise for a richer mixture, just a bit at a time, and throttle it up and down and see if you have improved from the last setting. It's best do cut the engine when making adjustments to keep clear of that moving prop, saves you losing a finger or lots of flesh!

Should you crack up the plane, the wing is designed to break away from the fuselage. Balsa wood planes are very easy to fix.

Finally, the idea with landing as I was taught, is as follows:

Cut throttle before your last turn, killing air speed as you make the last two turns, and now, approach the run way with neutral stick positions. As the plane slows down, the plane will descend on its on at a safe rate. The last 50 feet altitude, some up elevator will be needed to keep the plane level, and slow your descent, as well as your air speed. The idea is is to make gradual changes giving more UP elevator, until you can have full up elevator JUST as the plane touches down! The plane can land faster than this method, but you make continue to bend that nose gear, bounce, or nose over if you come in too fast. I remember so many times guys using a glossary of terms I wasn't familiar with, shouting "flare it, flare it!" and I had no idea what they hell they were asking me to do. Flare it means give it more up, to reduce the rate of descent. I liked and still like doing that just a few feet off the ground, and most planes I fly today like a faster landing speed to avoid loss of control from slowing too much.

Start checking the plane as the tail section is bolted on, to be sure your screws are tight on the model. It's personal preference, but some 5 minute epoxy on the rudder and rear stabilizer will help secure that tail to remain intact for the life of the model.

In a few weeks you'll be progressing to the point you'll be ready for your next plane! MANY low wing advanced trainers are on the market to choose from, that give you still faster flight, landings, and more aerobatic capability. Personally I'd hang on to that engine and move it into your next .46 size ARF model, as the engine can last a decade or more with proper care and tuning.

The oil in your fuel is the only lubrication the engine gets. A proper mixture is a balance between it running with maximum performance, (lean) and keeping it cool (rich). This engine has no piston ring, so it's very forgiving should you fly too lean. Again at your field, a guy should be also teaching you the pinch method of the fuel line to listen for the rpm to momentarily increase, so you're aware that your engine is about to take off with the right mixture. Tuning is a great part of the hobby. Some even like building these from kits for several days to get more pleasure from their maiden flight. I'd wear this plane out, and move the servos, receiver, engine, to the next model, saving you a lot of money in the process.

Check out towerhobbies.com for free shipping, and do a "40 ARF" search to see the inventory.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...+arf&search=Go

A popular choice among others, is this http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11213467/tm.htm

If winter starts soon and ends your flying until spring, maybe select a "kit" rather than an ARF? You'll really enjoy it.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXF7&P=7
Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: Alena23

can't we all just get along ? I come to this site because I was told there were little arguements and ''keyboard warriors'' but I guess that's the Internet these days. anyways it seems conflict has been resolve. I just wanted to update to everybody that at about noon today, I SOLO FOR VERY FIRST TIME!! I got into the air and got ''three mistakes high'' and then fly simple figure eight pattern. after ten or so minute I slow down and everyone else land and get out of way because It was very first totally alone flight and I landed second try no I did not kill anyone and the airplane is Intact. I showed up another person at club who started about the same time as I did. we had a race to solo first. being beat by a girl with no previous experience must not be fun haha. so now I have been think about just getting a better feel for flying then I will take off the training aids. I already take off the flaps on wings that slow you down and now I just have the spin stops on wing edges but I have been told to leave them because they prevent spins and I don't want to spin and crash. maybe later I will cut the tape and pull them off. but so far I have been flying on laptop and practicing landings. the computer game it include helps I think. who ever said it did not must have not try it or something because it really has improved my turns and the fact that my crashes can be reset while it is not so easy in real life. but thanks fore everyone's help to get me started into this hobby. what have I been missing. I had the idea to paint airplane. I want to make it a bright orange or yellow. maybe a two tone. I was wondering if any of you guys had recommendations or advice on if it is possible and if spray paint work. I don't want it to eat the film though. some plastics will get eaten by paint I know. oh god I think I just lost my life to this hobby.. thanks everyone!
You will probably never spin a trainer, take them off. The Nexstar has a lot of gimmicks on it for marketing purposes only, but in the real world, they simply suck and prohibit your progression as a model pilot. Trust me, I have stripped dozens of Nexstars to make them better trainers over the years. Continue to use it for what it's intended, to train you with orientation, controlled level flight, and landing. Then get into a new plane that you can perhaps select the colors and style to your liking than waste time on this particular model, just my 2 cents. The oil from the glow fuel repels paint very well, and also removes it. Monokote isn't the best surface to paint.
You might get some orange Monokote and trim solvent to iron on the plane instead to experiment with.
(In no time you'll see how much a bargain that $50 plane was! )

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHZ43&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHX96&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHZ17&P=7