Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Anybody interested in a NEW YS shortstroke? New, as in produced this year...

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Anybody interested in a NEW YS shortstroke? New, as in produced this year...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anybody interested in a NEW YS shortstroke? New, as in produced this year...

Update
Just got off the phone with Richard at YS, the list of engines is getting close to filling up!

Don't miss out on these!

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

Hey Guys,
I just got off the phone with Richard after a long one hour conversation.
Last year we spoke about the need for these motors now and in the future as Classic Pattern grows. I was asked to get a list going to see what interest there was here.
We talked in depth about the New Engine and the future and a little about the old days.
One, this NEW engine will be supported by Richard at YS; you won’t be left without parts support!
The prototype NEW engine is in the works, It will be even better than the old 60FR. We have learned a lot since the original 60’s.
The proposed price for these motors as already been stated will be in the 300 to 325 range. This has more to do with currency exchanges than anything else. Richard hopes to keep it at 300.
Richards’s list is filling up; I took 4 engines with someone even taking a block of 12 engines. They won’t last long at this rate.
Get on the list now before you’re left out.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Default RE: Anybody interested in a NEW YS shortstroke? New, as in produced this year...

Something I would like to see is the diaphragm compatible with the original Fr series. I haven't checked recently but I hear that these are no longer available, and in the YS lineup, the diaphragm is the 'wear' part of the pressure system. Just something I would like if my speculation is correct.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

I have some diaphragms and plungers coming from Richard, still available but ………………….
The YS 45 and YS 60 use the same parts basically in the fuel regulator system.
The diaphragm is the same for both engines.
The pin with plunger as it comes today is for the 45, to use it in the 60 you must use the original pin from your 60 with the plunger since they are no longer available.
Do not lose those pins!
From what conversations I’ve had, I don’t see the New Engine diaphragms being compatible with the old 60’s but more like the 61’s fuel regulator setup.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Roary m

Thank you for the input; I think I have a couple of diaphragms for the 45's. I just wish I could find some additional cash for more than 1 of the new engines. The new guy will be going into a Hanson Tipo I bought new back in 1987 and never built(long story).
Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 PM
DaveR
My Feedback: (7)

I'm just hoping that the success of this run will cause YS to rethink production of other 2-cycle engines, like a side exhaust version of this engine, and maybe the 45's too. Or even better, update the 45's to 50's.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:27 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was talk of making the .56 heli engine into a aero version.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

In corresponding with Richard a month or two back, he stated that the side exhaust should be fairly easy to do once they have the basic 61 tooling up. I asked him to put me on the list for a few of the SE as well as I would hate to miss out if this is the only run. You might want to get on the list with a SE request. Like Paul said, the list is nearly full. Who knows if they will do future runs...they whole project seems very limited in scope.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:59 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

there is no reason why you couldnt use the 56 as it is, likely has same bolt pattern as the ys 45 engine, with a good bit more power

Old 03-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Roary m

Too bad the tooling for the 60 short stroke was done away with.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Steve25

If it would be sure, that parts for these engines would be able to get them later and later and later, then I could be interested.

Actually, asked O.S. Engines if they would be interested to produce again parts for the FSR. range ( .60, .40, maybe .50 / .45 ), in ringed and ABC.
They promised me to get back to me
Old 04-03-2012, 06:59 AM
auggie622
My Feedback: (39)

Will, good morning. Need to get in touch with Richard on the YS motors. I already called in my order for two but lost his phone #. Can you please send. Send to: [email protected]

Rgards,
Steven Criss

Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Hanno Screw

Hey Guys

Nice to see people talking about stuff I love...

I noticed the other day YS have done a new 60 short stroke Heli Engine. It is not on the English language page but there is a teaser video which says 60, hence it caught my eye

I back tracked and found the engine on the Japanese page and so can confirm it has the appropriate bore and stroke. Link here:

http://translate.google.com/translat...li%2F60sr.html

Looks like this engine will be popular with some 3D heli pilots looking to turbo charge 50 sized machines. What this means is YS have more reason to tool up for the bits needed which you were all discussing... Great news.

I still have a YS 60 RE Heli engine (last of the short strokers at the time) as I flew Helis too. I also have a YS 60 SE Heli (donated to me as the owner wrecked it). I stuck the RE in a 40 sized Bullet aerobatic plane once for a bit of fun (over propped to keep it safe). Great little engine.. I was also given an original YS Pump System (must be a collectors peace by now) by a model shop for free when I asked to look at it. They were glad to get rid of it. These systems where sold way back to add fuel pressure/pump action to non pumped motors. I had great success with it on a Rear exhaust Webra ABC Promix (Custom Black Thermix coated) engine which I used to win the UK's first free style Heli aerobatics comp and also the same engine in a Pilot Cutlass Delta (normally a 40 sized model so it was pretty dam quick).

Although the YS implementation of these pump systems is pretty crude, they do work and the use of pressure allow the separate pump system to feed bigger (120+) glow motors as it can deliver fuel at a rate an old perry pump could not... I had it plumbed to a Irvine 150 for a while. Again it worked well.

I am looking forward to seeing these engines again. I may pick one up if they ever reach the UK

All the best Bernard

Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Hanno Screw

The crank case on the new Heli engine is different to the long stroke case. So YS could do a plane engine that was light (as it appears to be a stretched engine) or as originally planned use the old long stroke case. I guess this means some parts may not be so interchangeable but it still gives me hope... ;-)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hanno Screw

Hey Guys

Nice to see people talking about stuff I love...

I noticed the other day YS have done a new 60 short stroke Heli Engine. It is not on the English language page but there is a teaser video which says 60, hence it caught my eye.

I am looking forward to seeing these engines again. I may pick one up if they ever reach the UK

All the best Bernard
Bernard,

welcome to the forum.

Judging from the case and weight of both the heli 56 and the 60, it appears that the 60 is simply a slightly larger bored (1 mm) 56. I'm not certain that the aircraft engine will be based on this case although it is quite possible that the innards for the heli and the eventual airplane engine will be shared. 24/22 bore/stroke do sound like a typical short stroke configuration although I don't recall how these would compare to the older 60 FR/FS specs.

In any case, the wait for the air engines shouldn't be too much longer. If you want one, I'd imagine that YS can arrange to have one shipped to you in the UK.

David
Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Huang
My Feedback: (27)

David, the old YS-60FS/FR had exactly the same 24mm/22mm bore/stroke.
This is all looking very good right now...
Matt
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Hanno Screw

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Bernard,

welcome to the forum.

Judging from the case and weight of both the heli 56 and the 60, it appears that the 60 is simply a slightly larger bored (1 mm) 56. I'm not certain that the aircraft engine will be based on this case although it is quite possible that the innards for the heli and the eventual airplane engine will be shared. 24/22 bore/stroke do sound like a typical short stroke configuration although I don't recall how these would compare to the older 60 FR/FS specs.

In any case, the wait for the air engines shouldn't be too much longer. If you want one, I'd imagine that YS can arrange to have one shipped to you in the UK.

David
Hi David

Many thanks for the welcome

@ ''bored 56'' Yes it looks that way. Would still make a useful light engine for planes like the Minare. (Hanno used a 60 in his show model)

Just some random YS specs:

YS45 FR/FS 400g 21.8 / 20 short stroke 18K
YS56 SR 406g 23 / 22 short stroke
YS60 SR 406g 24 / 22 short stroke NEW Heli
YS60 FR 530g 24.05 / 21.99 short stroke (Dimensions measured in July 1982 Engine Test)
YS60 ST-2 540g 24 / 22 short stroke 18K (Heli)
YS61 AR 540g 23 / 24 Long stroke 18K (11K Recommended) Ali plated liner
YS61 R 565g 23 / 24 Long stroke 18K (11K Recommended)

If making the long stroke 61 a short stroke engine brings the power back to the old YS60 FR then it may just end up a slightly heavier engine than before (approx 30g if they use the non Ali liner). If they give the carb the extra missing low end needle, that will be a spec improvement. I never had a YS60 FR, and in a Heli version with a constant speed set up, idle was just needed when starting a cold engine. I recall some F3A flyers who seemed to get on fine with the old YS60 FR so any extra needle will just be a bonus...

I am sure the heavier engines are better for rough and tumble of grass landings in any case...

Old 10-11-2012, 03:55 PM
jon bruml

Tell richard he can count on me for 1
Old 10-12-2012, 08:32 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jon,
Email Richard at his YS contact. That way he'll get it for sure. See you at Arvin.
Chris...
Old 11-07-2012, 07:10 PM
aerofox74

Has anyone heard any updates on the release date and US availability of the YS 61RE?

AeroFox74
"Takeoff is Optional, Landing is Mandatory"
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 AM
bcfhigdon
My Feedback: (5)

I hear the engines may be getting close to delivery. Any news on availability of headers / pipes? Will new ones be available, if so who is the supplier?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This raises an interesting question. I wonder if YS might have contacted Hatori about their plans so that they could begin production of headers and pipes for these engines again...

In order to make life simple for themselves (and promote sales), I would imagine YS would have kept the design and mounting screw spacing for the header the same as on the old YS long stroke engines.

David
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Jim Oliver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a call from Richard yesterday-container expected sometime in April.

Jim
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM
auggie622
My Feedback: (39)

Got of the phone with Richard this morning and he is quite please with the performance of the new YS short stroke. He did give me a good piece of news so I'll pass this along. In my opinion, the Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 would be the perfect home for this motor except who want to run a side exhaust motor and sling the pipe underneath the wing - hassle taking on and off. Well, heres what you do should you decide to run the RE YS.. Anyone remembers the Aurora 60 and Atlanta 60 using the left hook header from Hatori or MAC (these planes use trike gears), well this is the perfect header choice in that the offset places the pipe directly over the wing. The location of the pipe on the side and the thrust line of the plane are also parralle. This the way to go. The price will be somewhere in the $325 range. which for the added 1000K rpm, its worth it. Back in the day, we were running DW props 10 3/4 x 7 1/2. This motor turns an 11x9 at 14400 - and thats on the ground. Imagine what the unload RPMs will be in the air.Also, he tested using both the hatori pipe and MAC pipe, same results. Almost here.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

I saw a lot of Phoenix's converted to rear exhaust. They never seemed to fly as well as the stock side exhaust set-up. The plane really needs the area and the weight of the pipe hanging underneath the wing. Expect some trimming issues if you put it down the side.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Dumb question, but what about mounting the engine at an inverted 45°? I have an older YS .61 that I would love to put in one of my Phoenixes, but I am not quite sure how it would look (or work) mounting the motor at that angle. Any advice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.