Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official ECX Torment Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:00 PM
bossman2u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official ECX Torment Thread

Played around with the torment a little this afternoon, found a use for all my NiCads and Nimh batteries! I put ec3 connectors on them and the torment is fast but controlable, run times are short of course but heck, it gets my skill level up for when I want to run the Lipo`s, I just have to remember to reset the LVC when I run lipo.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:28 PM
trsills

Glad you guys are still giving it a go.  That's some serious horsepower Bossman.  I wanted to see how far I could push the Torment as well cause it was different than what everyone else had at the track, but in the end it didn't make sense to me to put all that $$ into it that instead could be put towards a whole new truck.  After putting in metal gear set I went to the track and on the first double one of the rear shock caps popped off and it wouldn't seem to stay threaded on (didn't looked cracked though).  

I picked up an sc10RS and it's night and day compared to the Torment.  The SC10 seems to just glide across the track and I love the fit and finish.  And if you wonder about the associated's toughness, Jr. slammed the curb so hard it flung the esc off and yanked it free from some of the motor's bullet connectors.  So it's durable rig.  With about 8 hours of total track time I have yet to have a single problem with it.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Falcon-7

Yep, i agree. I am actually about to take the Velineon system off my torment and go back brushed. !!!! What !!! yeah it is just too much power for the chassie. i find myself fighting the truck more now. and i agree also the SC10 makes a heck of a truck. very agile and just floats over a course. two thumbs up. but i am tired of snapping driveshafts. i can see in boss's photos his are about to go. you can see them twisting at the ball joint. where the two wings are barely hanging on for dear life. ha ha ha. lots of power to warp those. So i am about to go back stock and sell it for $100. 00 bucks. hope to get that. and put it towards a buggie of some sort. or maybe for some upgrades on a crawler of mine. just not much into the short course scene any more. i Have A.D.D when it comes to my hobbies. i will go full in, and then change directions a few months later. Have fun!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 PM
bossman2u

I`m keeping mine, I`m re-learning the R/C car world- 46 years old now, had a Tamiya Frog when I was 20 or so. It was a mistake to put that 5900kv motor in there, it`s totally inappropriate for the trucks intended purpose. I have now installed a tacon 3000kv 3660 motor and a brushlesshobbies.com ESC and it is so much more controllable now. doesnt have the warp speed it had but it is plenty fast and now very capable off road as well as on, The traxxas HD shafts have taken a beating from me drag racing the torment on pavement against another officer in the prisons parking lot (lots of fun after work) he had a redcat nitro 2 speed car and when I had the venom 4200kv/80amp set I smoked him again and again, he got pissed and bought a traxxas rustler, we havent got together for a good drag race between the two but I know his numbers(kv/lipo c rate / esc amp and his gearing) and I think I`ve got the torment trimmed up to the task, it should make for a fun evening.
I love the tacon motor and the brushlesshobbies.com esc is the cats meow, I`ve been playing with the USB link on my computer and testing the truck out on the street and the tuneability of this ESC is amazing.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:58 PM
straitup2012

so i picked up a torment and added the metal transmission and just got a 12t motor whats the best pinion gear to use i bought a set of diffrent sizes from 21 to 17.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Falcon-7

If you want more top end speed go with the 21 tooth, if you want longer run times go with the 17. bigger number faster the truck, lower number quick off the line but not as fast in the end.

so it depends on if you are out playing in the street or racing on a dirt track., me i had a 25 tooth in at one time and ran 28mph stock, but it took forever to get up there. i ended up back at an 18 for overall performance. I tried a 17 as well and it made for great work in the grass it just plowed though. also if you start running bigger gears your motor will tend to run hotter also. having to work harder to reach those top speeds.

hope this helped.

ORIGINAL: straitup2012

so i picked up a torment and added the metal transmission and just got a 12t motor whats the best pinion gear to use i bought a set of diffrent sizes from 21 to 17.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:53 PM
straitup2012

so i went out and spent 150 bucks on a brushless combo for my torment. i got the castle sidewinderv2 and hooked it all up correctly i think and i cant get it to calibrate with my transmitter. any one have some tips or should i take it in to the shop? oh and i picked up a 7-cell battery.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM
straitup2012

whats your set up? i have a castle sv2 combo with 4600 kv motor i think and i i have yet to get enough power for a wheelie.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:20 PM
straitup2012

so i figured out the issue with my esc the 7cell battery was bad and it lit on fire. does any one know where i can get metal parts for the torment?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:50 PM
MD6

Horizon Hobby. You can also just Google the part number.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 PM
straitup2012

does anyone know if these parts from the slash will fit the torment? bellcrank 3743A and the steering blocks 3636a and part number 3654? im trying to figure out what metal parts i can try to fit the torment. any help would be great.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:40 PM
thehuntingterminator

Hey guys my bro just sold his Rustler and is closely considering the Torment. How would it be for just driving in the driveway and bashing around? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:07 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ive had my torment for over a year now.

I had to rebuild the steering bell crank once, replace 2 steering hubs, 1 or 2 driveshafts and I now have a losi brushed system in it.

I also put the ecx alloy rear shocks on it.

Oh, and replaced the stock servo as well.

This truck still handles well and is fun. Im now trying to race my buddy who bought new losi XXX sc.

The torment simply cant out handle his truck. We run the same losi brushed system and both use a 2s lipo, so power is the same on both trucks.

I just bought traxxas camber and steering links, as well as ECX alloy shocks.

I will probly buy some better "racing" tires soon as well. Im hoping between the added adjustablility and new tires the truck will be able to corner better.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Uzi4u

I found that adding a sway bar makes a huge difference in cornering. I just threw the Slash swaybar kit on my Torment and it made a big difference. I'm running proline shocks on my Torment and they seem good for now.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Uzi4u

I found that adding a sway bar makes a huge difference in cornering. I just threw the Slash swaybar kit on my Torment and it made a big difference. I'm running proline shocks on my Torment and they seem good for now.
did it take modding to make the slash swaybar work on the torment?
was it a 2wd or 4wd swaybar kit?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:02 AM
mattycole

my boy has a torment bout six months....really tough.what is a good brushless combo for this truck without uncontrolable speed and what complete changes do we make for tons of power and great handling including gearing,shocks,battery, basically the whole enchilada?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mattycole

my boy has a torment bout six months....really tough.what is a good brushless combo for this truck without uncontrolable speed and what complete changes do we make for tons of power and great handling including gearing,shocks,battery, basically the whole enchilada?
You only shold change the gearing if this combo gets hot. Here is a good ESC/Motor combo;http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...le-1406-4600kVand sticking with a 6 cell battery or a 2S lipo keeps this combo under control. Everything else should be fine for now.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:07 PM
mattycole

Hey thanks .I ll check it out my boy will be smilin from ear to ear.  I really appreciate it
Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 AM
MD6

If you go to brushless in the Torment should get the metal geared diff that's available.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/metal-gear-set-all-ecx-1-10-2wd-ECX9001

You could also consider this setup. 
http://www.hobbies4life.com/product_p/cse010-0090-00.htm

Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
VTEC_Inside

ORIGINAL: Uzi4u

PM sent. I picked up a Torment for my 12yr old a couple days ago and its been on its roof twice already.

I'd love to throw at least a front sway on it but even though several people have done it, no one has posted a step by step type thing.

I'm sure I could make something work as well, but I'm just getting into the hobby myself so I'm not familiar enough with what's out there.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Uzi4u

I'll get some pics of the front of the Toement to you guys by next Monday. I'm working from today until Sunday and Monday is my next day off. I'll get pics and the part number for the sway bar kit.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM
VTEC_Inside

Awesome. I can almost see how the 2wd Traxass bar would work, but the front bumper assembly is just different enough to make me wonder.

I'm ok with either adding a hole or using one of the shock mount holes in the lower arms for the ends...
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 PM
VTEC_Inside

Bump. Suspense is killing me.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I put traxxas slash turnbuckles on the front (camber and toe) and jato links on the rear (camber)
I added a fair bit of camber on the front and a couple degrees on the rear.

What a difference it makes. The truck turns in much sharper and with the rear camber is less likely to traction roll.

the added rear camber does mean that coming out of a corner its likely to spin the inside tire untill the suspension settles...but this actually makes it easy to drive out of the corner WOT.

Im still running stock tires. Even still, and while its more of a handful to drive, it can run toe-to-toe with my buddies Losi XXX. And the best part is its more durable than my other SCT's
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Uzi4u

Ok, here are the pics.  What I did was remove the pin or screws from the from the front skid plate.  I replaced those with longer hex screws to hold the bottom front turn buckles.  I had some red integy tie rod ends that I attached to the front a arms.  The problem I ran into was the actual sway bar not being big enough.  I had to fabricate my sway bar out of a piece of steel rod(can be purchased at a home improvement store).  The rod should not be easy to bend.  The only other change I want to make are two braces from the front of the sway bar to the shock tower for more stability.  I came in fourth with this truck in the local championship race.

[img]webkit-fake-url://18C19710-2994-43E2-8F4A-28ED7F44F9D8/imagejpeg[/img]

[img]webkit-fake-url://C4F1AAA2-AC80-4F1C-B309-A1C6758E1712/imagejpeg[/img]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.