Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts
Default RE: Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Does anybody about some e-shop in Europe, where is possible to buy a Century Jet scale pilot?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 AM
facia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi radfordc,
your Kyosho Spit is looking real good.
Lot's of detail already right out of the box.
Looking forward to the finished project pics and
please, post the Maiden if you can.

I shoulda, coulda, woulda have gotten it when the LHS had it on clearance sale.

Andreas
Happy building and flying.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Warbirdguy

Prekin,

If you dont find anyone in Europe, My home is just the next state over from CJM. Not sure if they wont ship to you but I would. I can purchase it for you and have it sent to me and Ill send it on to you. Of course you will have to pay the cost of the part and shipping lol. But I wont add anything to it. Just what ever the costs are PM me if you want to talk more about it.

Jamie
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Prekin

Thank you very much Jamie,
it is great idea! I know, that I will have to pay the shipping, you are not Santa Claus!
And one other question. What is the meaning of the CJM and PM. []

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prekin, 

CJM=Century Jet Models
PM= private message

Chow, 
Casey

Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Prekin

Thanks for the explanation Casey.
Now is everything clear for me.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 AM
rebranger

I'm not "down" on gas engines. I have several running, SV-26's, DLE, A's, RCG's & RCGF's.
It's the "transition" or the learning curve.
It took us (me & my flyin buddy) a couple of years to learn them. Eventho, we had years of experience with chain saws, outboards, motorcycles, etc. model airplane use is way more particular. As in anything, it's attention to detail; the little things that cause a dead stick, balky cranking, transition, etc. Same goes for burning up ESC's & puffing Lipo's on the elcetric side. Kinda like the old oil filter commmercial, "Pay me now or pay me later" ! But, that what keeps this hobby interesting, trying & learning new things!!
And, WarbirdGuy is correct with the points he made in his post (s).
If I were "new" to gas, I wouldn't choose a nice Warbird to "learn" on. Get a Stick or a 4 Star to use for a "test bed" first, then put the gas engine on a Warbird.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM
rebranger

P.S>, Has anybody seen, tried or built  the 50cc Spitfire ARF that was advertised on Hobby King?
we have a 50 cc DLE looking for a home!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: rebranger

P.S>, Has anybody seen, tried or built the 50cc Spitfire ARF that was advertised on Hobby King?
we have a 50 cc DLE looking for a home!
I think someone on here is doing one or at least has ordered one.

Amen about the learning curve LOL

When I flew an old G shark with an old worn out Q35. I would stick my finger in the carb, crank till I felt fuel on my finger, then every time, around the 3rd flip, it would fire up. Ive pretty much used that procedure on every one since. Now they have chokes on them. On these, I kick on the ignition, pull choke, set to idle, then flip it until it hits. Turn choke off and crank till it starts, most of the time 3 or 4 more flips.

Im about to start my learning curve on electrics lol

I have a wing mfg B25 that I think Im going electric with. Its built and was set up for os91fs's but I think electrics would be easier. I have the small electric b25 that flies great! Anyways, Im sure Ill goof up and buy the wrong stuff along the way or "poof" a speed control or two

You gonna be at the warbird meet this year in Huntsville Ed? If so, Ill probably see you there.

Jamie
Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple of threads going on now:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11404435/tm.htm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792324
Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 AM
rebranger

You bet! Good Lord Willing & the Creeks don't rise!
I just hope we have it, I need to begin working on getting a CD. That's our (RCRC) problem, not enuf folks with CD's.
Maybe Skip will find a 50cc Spit at Perry. You going?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM
albsurfer

I like electric for my aerobatic & 3D planes .70 fs / .55 2s engine size and below. The handling and response is great. I haven't flown a general purpose or warbird that was electric yet. The lipo prices are a killer in the larger sizes! On my electric planes, I'm set up for 4 Stroke torque electric versions instead of high rpm 2 Strokes. It drains batteries quickly on 12-20 mph days.
I do know a couple of guys who fly 30cc-50cc electric Extras, Edges, etc. and you just don't get the flight time like on nitro or gas. My one friend did say that he liked his electric 30cc setup best for aerobatic flight, but that he just hated 6 minute flight times versus 12-20 min. with gas or nitro.

Pluses and minuses on all types of power systems.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Chucksolo69

Hey guys, how many flights on your Spitfire or how many Spitfire planes do you have to have before yo become an "ace?"
Old 02-19-2013, 01:35 PM
ddemarco

Hi Steve,

Thank you very for your very kind offer. The .81 I'm using does not have a pump. Anyway, it wouldn't be a problem for me to buy spare parts online (for instance in tower hobbies). The issue in my country is customs. So even if you bought the parts and sent them to me, chances are they would be stopped here and I'd have to pay ridiculous fees to get them out of customs. I really thank you for offering that, though.

Anyway, I have a friend going to Florida in a couple of weeks, so I'll buy the Saito from Horizon Hobby, and also the spares for the .81 from tower, and mail them to her address in FL. She'll take them back to me.

Cheers,
Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 PM
ddemarco

ORIGINAL: facia

Sorry to hear about your misshap Diego.
Hope you are able to get the FA115 to work with your Spitfire and get the plane
back to flying. It sure would have plenty of power to give that Spitty some serious
tourque. So have to watch out for the pull on take off.

Good luck with Maiden #2 and please update.

Andreas
Thank you Andreas, I'll certainly watch out for that. I expect to attempt Maiden #2 in about three-four weeks, as soon as I get the Saito.

Cheers,
Old 02-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Warbirdguy

Probably not Ed, got to be too expensive in gas and a room to stay in overnight. I need to stay away from those places till I finish up some of these birds first LOL.

Here is what we do about putting on contest that are short of CD's. Get whoever has a CD to register it and you or some other person do the actual work

WBG
Old 02-19-2013, 04:12 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: ddemarco

Hi Steve,

Thank you very for your very kind offer. The .81 I'm using does not have a pump. Anyway, it wouldn't be a problem for me to buy spare parts online (for instance in tower hobbies). The issue in my country is customs. So even if you bought the parts and sent them to me, chances are they would be stopped here and I'd have to pay ridiculous fees to get them out of customs. I really thank you for offering that, though.

Anyway, I have a friend going to Florida in a couple of weeks, so I'll buy the Saito from Horizon Hobby, and also the spares for the .81 from tower, and mail them to her address in FL. She'll take them back to me.

Cheers,
Good deal,

Keep us informed on your progress.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:04 PM
rebranger

They defined ACE as 5 kills, I have only killed 2!! Still got a CMP 120 size with an OS 160. I would think augering in a couple would qualify for ACE in RCing!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: jet22b

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

I agree, everyone should have enough respect to allow a maiden with an open field. Hey Sonny, is there really a pattern for the fuse side sheeting as mentioned in the instruction book? If there is i can't find it.
Steve,
It was not in my kit also. I think they forgot to add it. It would have been a big help!!! In one of the build thread that was posted sometime back, one guy went with the plank system. Now you can wet and bend the sheeting in place, but be careful the sheeting do not start to split as you bend.
I hope this help!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Steve and Sonny;

Sorry to be so late with the answer to your question. I just read your question concerning fuselage skin pattern. The pattern is shown on page 61 of the manual; after you take measurements from the fuselage of the length and width of sheeting required; you take the pattern from page 61 and enlarge it via photo copier to the size you require. Trace the enlarged pattern onto balsa sheeting and cut the sheeting to fit itto the fuselage. Don't forget to wet it with denatured alcohol so it will bend without cracking. This method worked great for me.

Roger

Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM
mogman

Managed to get a little more done....stab done and elevator framed up.

This was a National Balsa full kit, and while it's generally not bad, there are a few glaring errors etc. A few of the parts that should be a straight line, look as if they've been cut with a hand held laser...quite wavey. A couple of stringer notches out by a fair bit.

Not the kit cutters fault, but the motor box sides are lite ply, I will remake those in aircraft ply. On some of the lite ply parts, the laser only cut through 2 of the 3 layers of ply, not a really big deal, but not up to the standards of some of the other kit cutters I've dealt with.

Anyway, nothing that can't be overcome, and I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

Cheers,
Dave.

Spitfire Brotherhood #180
Waco Brotherhood #180
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65473.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1854329  
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

The weight of the completed Kyosho 90 airframe with all equipment except engine is 8.5 lbs. If I can keep the engine weight to 2.5 lbs the plane should fly very well. The wing loading should be about 27 oz/sq. ft. To give a comparison, my TF P-47 has 200 sq. in. less wing area and about the same weight and it flys great.

I saw a video of this plane with a 20cc gas engine taking off. The plane was off the ground in 1.5 seconds and about 20 feet of ground roll. I ordered an RCG 20 engine to see if it will work.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM
jet22b

Hi Brothers,
Here are two up-date pictures of the glass work I did on my Top Flite Spitfire kit build!! I use Pacer Z-Poxy Finishing Resin and I must say this stuff is easy to work with!!! What I did and you may think I am nuts, but, I did not go with the cloth, but just use the resin. You may not see it in the pictures, but the wings and fuse came out looking like glass and very smooth. Sanding this stuff is also easy!! The manual say you can paint over the resin, we will see if that's true when the weather get better. One thing I will say, it help the thin sheeting on the wings!!! I can pick up the wings and not worry about putting a hole in the sheeting like before!!! Let me know what you think about the way I went on this bird!! I hope to pick up the EMS Spitfire soon. Looking at going with a 36cc gas engine in the nose. Pro's and Con's are welcome!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38197.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	1854656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39527.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1854657  
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: jet22b

Hi Brothers,
Here are two up-date pictures of the glass work I did on my Top Flite Spitfire kit build!! I use Pacer Z-Poxy Finishing Resin and I must say this stuff is easy to work with!!! What I did and you may think I am nuts, but, I did not go with the cloth, but just use the resin. You may not see it in the pictures, but the wings and fuse came out looking like glass and very smooth. Sanding this stuff is also easy!! The manual say you can paint over the resin, we will see if that's true when the weather get better. One thing I will say, it help the thin sheeting on the wings!!! I can pick up the wings and not worry about putting a hole in the sheeting like before!!! Let me know what you think about the way I went on this bird!! I hope to pick up the EMS Spitfire soon. Looking at going with a 36cc gas engine in the nose. Pro's and Con's are welcome!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
What will happen over time is the finish will start to crack. As the wood swells and contracts with humidity from hot and cold, the resin will crack along the grain of the wood. If it was to be a hanger queen and be in a stable enviroment from now on, it would probably be ok. But outside in the sun and then shade, cold days and hot days, it will eventually crack. That is what the cloth is for, to give the resin strength.

The cloth by itself has no strength, and the resin by itself has not strength, but, together, they are very strong. Like putting rebar in concrete.

WBG
Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 AM
facia

Hi Sonny,

I am always looking forward to build updates.
Yours is looking good and on it's way.
I never knew you could just use the resin without cloth.
Hm... Something to think about for the next build. Sure would cut
out a lot of work and possible air bubbles.
Let me know how yours works out when you get closer to the finish.
Sure interested in the final result.

Andreas
Happy building and flying.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

I have to agree with warbirdguy. Without the addition of the fiberglass you really haven't added any real strength, and have probably just added weight in the long run.

I would give it a good sanding and lay some glass in.

casey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.