Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

3-D printer to maker RC parts.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 AM
chonyc77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-D printer to maker RC parts.

I dont know if this has been asked already. If it has, i appologize.

Ive been keeping a close eye on these 3-D printers for making various things and of course one of my main thoughts was making some simple parts for my RC cars,

Do you think this is possible now or will be in the future. Like making A arms or more simple parts were strength is not as important. These machines are still extremely new and the plastics used mite not be strong enough yet to make some parts but im sure with time and with the evolution of these 3-D printers in the next few years, im guessing these will be really handy machines.

What do you guys think?

If some of you are not that familiar with them you can check out Youtube videos on them.

Thanks for response guys..

Old 03-28-2013, 02:00 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 3-D printer to maker RC parts.

The process of plastic printing at the moment is simply not compatible with the needs of plastic components of RC cars. You will see prototype RC cars made from printed parts, but they are not strong enough for use in anything except ZERO load applications in reality.

This is largely by virtue of the fact that the parts aren't printed from solid plastic, they are made of thin layers which are laminated together. The technology may change to be able to use stronger laminates and plastics in the future, but at the moment, they are only useful for prototyping. It is widely believed that this is how some of the clones are being produced out of China. A plastic part is printed, a mould made from the print, and then 'real' plastic parts produced from the mould.

For interest value, there is a company which prints 3d models (as statuettes/figurines) of your characters from your MMO games. Quite expensive as they are hand finished.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes total sense the Chinese would be doing this...
Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw a 3D printer demo'ed on the Today Show.  I thought the same thing: RC PARTS!  But I also wondered about what the printed plastic would be like.  Maybe someday we could do it.  The printer they demo'ed was about $2200 and could "print" something as big as a full-sized human head or a little larger.  Fascinating!  Anything you can CAD, you can "print" a prototype.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the ones right now are basically used for demonstrating new designs and rapid prototyping.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Foxy

I really like the artistic application. Maybe in the future, the greatest sculptors will be CAD gods. Already the thing of being able to print your WoW character in his own armor that he is wearing in the game, as a 12 inch figurine hand painted and finished, is seriously cool.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

The process of plastic printing at the moment is simply not compatible with the needs of plastic components of RC cars. You will see prototype RC cars made from printed parts, but they are not strong enough for use in anything except ZERO load applications in reality.

This is largely by virtue of the fact that the parts aren't printed from solid plastic, they are made of thin layers which are laminated together. The technology may change to be able to use stronger laminates and plastics in the future, but at the moment, they are only useful for prototyping. It is widely believed that this is how some of the clones are being produced out of China. A plastic part is printed, a mould made from the print, and then 'real' plastic parts produced from the mould.

For interest value, there is a company which prints 3d models (as statuettes/figurines) of your characters from your MMO games. Quite expensive as they are hand finished.
Actually this has been going on way longer than 3d printers even been out remember Transformer toys from the 80s for the bootlegs supposedly they went, and actually stole the actual moulds from the factory, and started making counter fits. Also I remember reading some electronics(think it was Cisco a few years back) the bootleggers would get people on their payroll to work in the factories at night as security, and they would come in with a crew, fire the machines up, and make the bootlegs on the actual line like using cheaper materials.

Also as you guys stated the actual thing printed is too delicate. Perfect example I remember HPI's Savage XS prototype was shown at the toy fair they had a sign that said "Fragile Do Not Touch" sitting in front of it.

I really like the artistic application. Maybe in the future, the greatest sculptors will be CAD gods. Already the thing of being able to print your WoW character in his own armor that he is wearing in the game, as a 12 inch figurine hand painted and finished, is seriously cool.
dunno man with how crappy most the armor looked last time I played (last login was about 1 month after the panda bears were added) Cool Idea, but doubt it would look cool now
Old 03-29-2013, 10:03 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WoW character...... really?....

I can just imagine all the "family guy" jokes now
Old 03-29-2013, 08:51 PM
big JC

It is fully conceivable that at some point in the near future one could print out a myriad of useful things including rc parts. Plastic chemistry is not terribly complicated and perhaps some sort of vulcanization could further strengthen the lamination process. As it stands now, I understand some 3d printers work in melted abs. Abs is fairly strong. Definitely big things on the horizon with 3d printing and not just in plastic. Soon one may print a new liver of fully living human cells....god knows I need a new one!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 PM
big JC

I really like the artistic application. Maybe in the future, the greatest sculptors will be CAD gods. .
I'd say that to be true now if your medium is alloy
Old 03-29-2013, 09:01 PM
phmaximus

If they are no longer sculpting, are they sculptors?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:24 PM
big JC

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

If they are no longer sculpting, are they sculptors?
semantics
Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
phmaximus

I only said that because there are alot of contract sculptors thesedays that dont actially design the project.
I wonder it these 3d printers will replace most of the commercial sculptors, just like ink printing replaced the old hand painted posters

I sware, I would be happy with a 3d printer and a 9 axis CNC....

It would allow me to make my doomsday machine, and take over the world.... bahahahah ha ha ha harrrrr

one great use for a 3d printer, scale acessories...
Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 PM
big JC

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

It would allow me to make my doomsday machine, and take over the world.... bahahahah ha ha ha harrrrr.
Better hurry up...mine is almost complete....
Old 03-30-2013, 02:08 PM
chonyc77

IMO, I think we are a few years away from being able to use 3-D printing in the RC modeling world. With time, I also believe the materials used to make these 3-D reproductions will mprove and give us better suited capabilities and better, stronger parts to use, allowing us to reproduce many more important parts for our RC's (A-arms, shock towers,etc).
This technology is moving pretty swiftly and 3-D printing machines which used to cost over 20 K just two years ago are now costing 2 thousand dollars. Ths is a very good indicator because it gives us an idea of when we just mite be seeing these printers stting next to our computers in our house.
I think the next step and maybe most important step in the 3-D printer evolution is going to be the option to print using better, stronger materials which will give us the option to make stronger more useful parts.
I really don't know in what direction these printers are heading but they look extremely promising and they have me sitting at the edge of my seat waiting to see how it turns out.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/11/...Top+Stories%29
that was an interesting way to do 3d printing, and supposedly strong as wood
Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 AM
barspin

HI!

I´m in the middle of a project that might be an interesting addition to this thread. A 3D Printed RC car.
This is a 1:10 scale Truggy and it´s all open source! I needed a nice reference object to show of my 3D Printer. An RC car seemed like cool thing and that´s how it all started.
Atm i quite happy with the result, it´s better than i expected but of course as someone stated it´s not to compare with a "real" RC Car.

Here´s a video when driving it (with a wishbone broken actually ;-)http://youtu.be/XnXnPE20kXs
Wishbones are now redesigned and hold up alot better (haven´t broken one yet)

All files incl. instructions can be downloaded here:http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:42198(Latest version not uploaded yet)

Any input from you guys will be greatly appreciated as i´m no RC expert. =)https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...35856143176146

My two cents, thank you! =)

/Daniel Norée

Old 02-28-2016, 07:53 PM
67Stingrayj

Well guys,

After doing a lot of searching I came across this thread. Sadly, I thought there would have been more interest in this topic. I have my BA in Design Drafting and I am a WIZ in 3D autocad. I know there are better 3D software programs out there, but when I went to school, they were just beginning to make their way to market (inventor, Solidworks).

So I'm not real interested in buying a bunch of parts off a shelf at my local hobby shop and putting all together to claim I made my own car, or truck or whatever. I'm in the process of designing my own RC. I'll post the latest screenshot of the buggie below. I really want to design a chassis, A-arms, shock towers bumpers, etc. and get them 3D printed. This guy seems to have had quite some success with his 3D printed parts. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:42198

Hasn't anyone else gotten into the latest craze or is it just me? Perhaps you all have already found out what it is I haven't yet. And that is that 3D printed parts just don't hold up in an RC. Any comments? Has anyone got anything to say about the durability, quality, precision etc of 3D printed RC parts?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	roll cage ISO.JPG
Views:	2634
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	2149896   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-29.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	2149902