Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

ASTOUNDING NEWS RE DOLLAR STORE DEPRON

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

ASTOUNDING NEWS RE DOLLAR STORE DEPRON

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:38 AM
drive2survive
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASTOUNDING NEWS RE DOLLAR STORE DEPRON

ok guys Ive been debuting about posting this but you guys need to know the big secret if you want some cheap foam models. Dollar store depron foam is the best and cheapest for your foamys
bar none!! Now heres the trick. Ive made many foam airplanes and I do mean many!!! when I 1st discovered dollar tree foam fought and tore my hair out getting the damn paper coating off! I had sprayed water on a sheet,soaked it in the bath tub for hrs and fought with the time consuming chore of trying to peel the paper off! Then noticed their was some dollar store stuff called AWSOME still left in the bottle I was spraying the foam with. This was the trick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so I sprayed the sheet with some straight awsome, waited 5 mins and the paper peeled right off. The chemical in the awsome must melt the glue holding the paper on as oppsed to just using plain water, now you know the trick go build some cheap models!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:01 PM
D.J.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: ASTOUNDING NEWS RE DOLLAR STORE DEPRON

It looks like AWESOME cleaner is citrus based. You seem to have lost an E from the name. You did say that it was an old bottle. Thanks for the tip. D.J.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:07 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny, I just peeled 20 sheets of the paper in less the 10 minutes?

I soak it, let it dry, then peel it off in one piece. Save the paper to draw your next set of plans on.

If you have the cardboard tube, you can roll the paper on to it, makes it easy to pull off.

Buzz.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Rcisfun23

Thats interesting. But so far I've had very little trouble getting the paper off myself.As long as the paper is cut all of the way through, and you get the paper off the edge in one piece, mine comes right off. I do live in a humid area, thatmay have something to do with it.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:56 AM
drive2survive

like I said tried many times to soak it and had one hellofva time getting that damn paper off, it came down to rolling it off with my figure which took way too much time
then I discovered Awsome from the dollar store, that was the trick!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:34 PM
blvdbuzzard

Did you soak it, then let it dry? I tried to pull it off to soon and it tore and made a mess. I took it into the shower, hot water and it peeled itself off.

Buzz.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 PM
drive2survive

I soaked it and some times Id see the ends kind of separate but still like you said I had to roll that damn paper off and it was a mess!!! I found awesome to be the only way
and can have that paper off in 5 min if not less. will also do 5 ata time. I laminate 2 pcs with 3M and never hada problem
Old 04-18-2013, 04:20 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

This is a great find and price. I have used this product many times but it is not the same quality as Foamboard or bare Depron. It is a bit wavy and seems to be softer but more flexible. The flex might bea good thing though. In any event the more folks know about this option the better. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:23 AM
drive2survive

that wave thing is a problem indeed, ya gotta sort thru the box and find some w/o waves. I think what happens is they load the box right after they apply the paper
and the heat has something to do with it........I called the outfit asking if they could sell me a box w/o the paper, their attitude was take it or leave it, typical corporate jerkoffs
but for a dollar a sheet and knowing the insain price of depron will gladly deal with the paper
Old 04-18-2013, 04:47 PM
blvdbuzzard

I use a sanding block, well an aluminum "T" that is 36 inches long. I glue sand paper to it and sand the waves out. Not that hard and I end up with a smooth finish. I use 180 then 320 and IO am good to go. Go slow, the heat makes it harder to sand.

Buzz.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:13 PM
drive2survive

good idea but think Id rather pick and choose at the store, like I said some have waves ,some don't..........o
Old 02-21-2014, 01:53 PM
chumbly

I have no problem peeling the paper off dry and in one piece. As for the ripples, let it sit for a week or two and it's as smooth as a baby's butt.

Kim
Old 02-21-2014, 02:38 PM
drive2survive

Chumbly>>>>>>>>>their is absolutely no reason to wait that long, just go to the dollar store get a bottle of auwsome spray it on wait 5 min. and peel the paper off, its that easy!