Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

shootin talk

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 03:46 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: shootin talk

I got a custom bullet mold made for casting 9mm bullets. I'm very happy with it!

This molds drops 133 grain bullets at .360 diameter. I size them down to .358 caliber.

If your interested in casting 9mm bullets stay away from the 9mm molds. They all seem to
have their molds cast at .356 cal for .355 barrels. Most 9mm barrels are .357 though and need
.358 caliber lead bullets. The Lee 358-125-RF is a good bullet for the 9mm. It's made for the 38
Special but works great in 9mm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80482.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1868102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66908.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1868103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78252.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1868104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90122.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1868105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48025.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1868106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30222.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	1868107  
Old 03-30-2013, 06:33 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finally got some primers, loaded them up and finally went to the range! fun bit rusty, can't reload the gun as fast as I used to (single action revolver)

making ammo costs me about $100 for 500 rounds with 500 primers left, but it beats $500 for 500 rounds[X(]
Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

finally got some primers, loaded them up and finally went to the range! fun bit rusty, can't reload the gun as fast as I used to (single action revolver)

making ammo costs me about $100 for 500 rounds with 500 primers left, but it beats $500 for 500 rounds[X(]
$225 for 5000 is even better

i shot the last of my .22 today. now i have to hunt some down... fun...[:@]
Old 03-30-2013, 08:02 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

I got a custom bullet mold made for casting 9mm bullets. I'm very happy with it!

Nice looking mold. What are you using for alloy?

Jess
Old 03-31-2013, 02:02 AM
AmishWarlord

I use ingots made from wheel weights.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:21 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

Have you looked into the Sig .45's? One of the better composite guns on the market, IMO, near the top of my list of future purchases, actually! Along with the Springfield XD45, another very nice one! Just steer clear of Glock for the love of .....cheese!

ORIGINAL: MiamizFinest

^^^ Thanks, yes I'm a huge fan of this gun it's actually my first composite frame gun, as everything else I own is stainless steel. I'm looking at the FN 45 as well and might pick one up a little later down the line. My next purchase will actually be S&W 1911 performance center. I actually have a SS fetish.

Seen it, but what has me sold on the fnx-45 is the SS slide.... and that 15 round magazine. AMAZING, not to mention some are calling it the most accurate 45 on the market.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 AM
J.D.T

.22 LR is still harder than heck to find. I traded 4 50 round boxes of Federal Lightning or $8 worth for a transfer yesterday instead of paying the $25, he said he was gonna get $7-9 a box for three at the next gun show and keep one to shoot with his grandkids. He said he will go $9 friday night, $8 if left on saturday and $7 if left on sunday, he said the last show he sold his last 500 box for $80.
About 70 miles from me is Brownells, the largest gun accessory dealer in the world but even they can't get any ammo to sell. Checking Daily boss on notice LOL.
Walmart has had three straight "Down" months when compaired to last years sales, oddly enough its been about three months since Walmart sold out of most of its guns and ammo.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:17 PM
cumquat

i hope to hit the gun shop today or tomorrow to see what, if anything, they have. not holding my breath to say the least. they do seem to have .22 shorts which is nice, but they have never been cheap in my lifetime. i wish i could have bought some for $.25...
Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Blkft1

The local Wmarts to me have nothing but shotguns and bolty's [Ruger American] but no ammo except a few box each of 410,.270 and etc,,,. When they do get a shipment customers are already waiting for it to hit the floor,,,, kind'a like the +50yr old Hotwheel Hunters. A few of the local G stores have ammo on shelf in common calibers and havent hiked up the price's, just carry the more expensive rounds like "Powerball's and etc,,,." Recently I made the HUGE mistake of mentioning to a friend who works at a Gstore I was counter browsing at that I had stocked away enough ammo over the years plus have other hobbies to keep me occupied that I'm not worried. Another customer overheard and started pestering me relentlessly that I should "first sell" then suggested I "GIVE(!?!)" him some ammo, even after I and my friend told him to check other local small Gstores, kept going on about it nonstop while I ignored him to finish my conversation with my friend. He was getting a little heated till I had enough and politely told him to "Buzz off", he still kept grumbling to himself getting all red faced. Since then I am alot more discreet.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM
jessiej

I use ingots made from wheel weights.
Me too. Years ago I had a cousin in the tire business who gave me several hundred pounds of used tire weights which fluxed and cast into ingots. I still have quite a bit. For some uses I ad a bit of Tin, or pure lead, but mostly plain WWs. I use mostly the old standard Alox/beeswax lube, but some of the new, brightly colored lubes sure are pretty.

jess
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Found a SWEET telescoping stock and matching fore grip to begin modding the 870 to be more practical. Not sure if I mentioned it, but right now she wears an 18" barrel, +1 mag, and a basic pistol grip. Anyways, I will be ordering the stocks pictured, a barrel shroud, sling, side-mount ammo holder and a tube-mount rail system for a flashlight and/or strobe. The stocks come in two colors, and I am honestly torn between them! They come in the desert tan pictured, or all black. I like the black, it is traditional, purposeful and let's face it, black guns scare the heck outta "normal" people. On the other hand, I absolutely LOVE the desert tan, the contrast, the "modern" look and feel, etc.

So, I've decided to put it to a small vote here. Black or tan? We have two votes tan and two votes black from us and some friends last night, now it's up to RCU to pitch in

500 errors so I'm just posting em here!

t3.gstatic.com/images

Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Found a SWEET telescoping stock and matching fore grip to begin modding the 870 to be more practical. Not sure if I mentioned it, but right now she wears an 18" barrel, +1 mag, and a basic pistol grip. Anyways, I will be ordering the stocks pictured, a barrel shroud, sling, side-mount ammo holder and a tube-mount rail system for a flashlight and/or strobe. The stocks come in two colors, and I am honestly torn between them! They come in the desert tan pictured, or all black. I like the black, it is traditional, purposeful and let's face it, black guns scare the heck outta "normal" people. On the other hand, I absolutely LOVE the desert tan, the contrast, the "modern" look and feel, etc.

So, I've decided to put it to a small vote here. Black or tan? We have two votes tan and two votes black from us and some friends last night, now it's up to RCU to pitch in

500 errors so I'm just posting em here!

t3.gstatic.com/images

Tan loos cool, almost like a desert shotgun.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM
AmishWarlord

Make sure you maintain a 21" overall length with the stock collapsed.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 AM
FahrtAutoRC

As of right now barrel length is 18" and total length is 27 I may or may not have posted pics in this thread of it before, right now it is just wearing a straight pistol grip with no shoulder stock, so I don't think it could be made much shorter. I'm shooting for practicality here, and while a SBS is fun, it isn't practical. I'm shooting for straight tactical/combat, so overall length will be fine!

And I think I've decided on tan, parts will start being ordered very shortly now

Make sure you maintain a 21" overall length with the stock collapsed.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:27 PM
cumquat

it's no secret that i dont particularly care for my brother in law. he's OK, but if it wasnt for my sister, i'd never even consider hanging out with him. my biggest gripe about him is he act's like i did when if you asked me my age, you got the precise number including months and days (at one point, it even included hours and minutes). you say something, he has a story about it. my favorite ones are about his sister's boyfriend who went to mechanics school: "when he graduated, they gave him a full set of tools and cabinets worth like 8 grand" and "one time, he brought home a viper they were working on. it had a 12 speed transmission" or, an alternate version "it was a 2012". i heard the 12 speed version in September when i helped them move in to their apartment, the 2012 version last month and the tool story in October. he is also quite perverse when i or my sister's friend is around.

anyways, he did something today that made me dislike him a bit less. he bought a toy snake at the dollar store. the reason this makes him borderline likeable is because it lead to them having a conversation about teaching my nephew about dangerous things. this conversation evolved to guns, which made them go from "never, ever, ever. not even when he's 18!" to "when he's 5, if he show the maturity, you can teach him to shoot a BB gun.", which made my quite happy. they follow my logic of "the best way to keep a kid safe around guns is to teach them how to use them". she says he will only be allowed to shoot with me and our grandpa, as we are the only ones who have guns and are mature enough to teach a kid to shoot (our uncle is not).
Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 PM
cumquat

As of right now barrel length is 18'' and total length is 27 I may or may not have posted pics in this thread of it before, right now it is just wearing a straight pistol grip with no shoulder stock, so I don't think it could be made much shorter. I'm shooting for practicality here, and while a SBS is fun, it isn't practical. I'm shooting for straight tactical/combat, so overall length will be fine!

And I think I've decided on tan, parts will start being ordered very shortly now

Make sure you maintain a 21'' overall length with the stock collapsed.
buy black then duracoat it with a red camo. or hot pink
Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Update gentlemen, I'm pumped (no pun intended!), but parts will be ordered soon, within the next couple of days. Pics as soon as they get here and on the Remmy! Going all black, the duracoat comment was an idea, if I end up getting bored with it I can have the color changed.

Phoenix Technology Kicklite 6 pt. telescoping stock, attached 5 shell holder
Magpul MOE forend stock
Sling pivot mounts and 2pt shotgun sling, with 15 shell bandolier
mag tube mount Picatinny rail
150 lumen LED flashlight with quick release for picatinnys, switch on back of light

Aaaaand later down th line looking into a Mesa Tactical barrel shroud with mount for a day time/night time red dot sight, but I think I will be happy for a while with this, after this is done my focus will be on buying more guns for a bit.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 AM
cumquat

i still vote hot pink! now you should add an extended mag tube (i dont care if it's longer than the barrel), laser and color changing strobe light for parties in all seriousness, the laser may be something to think about. easier target acquisition from the hip.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Nah, I personally don't like lasers. I wanted to mod this thing out with everything that would be 100% practical in a SHTF situation, but keep it useable for HD. Next step will be getting nice CCW pieces for me and my soon to be wife, and getting our permits, then looking into a .338 Rem. 700 MLR

AND NO PINK!!!

ORIGINAL: cumquat

i still vote hot pink! now you should add an extended mag tube (i dont care if it's longer than the barrel), laser and color changing strobe light for parties in all seriousness, the laser may be something to think about. easier target acquisition from the hip.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM
cumquat

Nah, I personally don't like lasers. I wanted to mod this thing out with everything that would be 100% practical in a SHTF situation, but keep it useable for HD. Next step will be getting nice CCW pieces for me and my soon to be wife, and getting our permits, then looking into a .338 Rem. 700 MLR

AND NO PINK!!!

you say that now, but in 10 years you may very well be shopping for a pink .22
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 PM
FahrtAutoRC

If I EVER buy a pink gun it will be for a daughter down the line haha Even my old lady says black is the only way to go, and that'll be reflected in the Sig Sauer 1911 we will be getting her soon She's refusing to buy anything smaller than a .45 for her CCW, and we've settled on a 4" barreled 1911. She did scare me a bit the other day, caught her eyeballing a gold plated Desert Eagle [&:]

AND NO PINK!!!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 PM
cumquat

If I EVER buy a pink gun it will be for a daughter down the line haha Even my old lady says black is the only way to go, and that'll be reflected in the Sig Sauer 1911 we will be getting her soon She's refusing to buy anything smaller than a .45 for her CCW, and we've settled on a 4'' barreled 1911. She did scare me a bit the other day, caught her eyeballing a gold plated Desert Eagle [&:]

AND NO PINK!!!

haha. .44 or .50? i would like to shoot either once just to say i shot it, but i'd only buy one if i had some serious $$$. like Aston martin daily driver $.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:59 PM
FahrtAutoRC

.50 AE

I've fired both the .50 and the .40 "Baby Eagle", I've also rented (at the range) the S&W 500. I'd be lying if I said they didn't have some kick to em, but not enough for me to be worried about with my larger frame and physique. Then again I've also stuck my 870 out like a pistol and fired it too, without much trouble
Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 PM
cumquat

people like making the shotgun-pistol hold seem harder than it actually is. if you can physically hold the gun out like that, it's rather easy. that said, it does say something about your strength, holding 6+ pounds with a fully extended arm and the farthest point over 3 feet from you does take some muscle. i've done it with my 20 gauge. couldnt hold it up for a second shot
Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 PM
AmishWarlord

New cartrige that I'm casting and loading now the 25-20 WCF

The bullet mold is a RCBS .258 Cal 85gr. FN bullet.

Useing 7.2gr Win 296 powder.

No gun as of yet. Been bidding on Gunbroker but they have been going sky high. I can wait till this latest scare is over.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71267.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1877786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40500.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1877787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24590.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1877788  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.