Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Glow Plug Wiring

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Glow Plug Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 AM
ShaDy Emad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Plug Wiring

HeyI and my friends have almost built our first turbine Engine ( Jet Engine ). Now our problem is the glow plug. We could find only this one : http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LXCB27We don't know how it's working. The only written instructions is to connect 1.5V battery to the plug. But I can't identify the polarity of the plug, i.e. where to connect the positive side of the battery and where to connect the negative side.The question may be fool, but we don't have an ECU yet and we would like to test if the engine is working and if the glow plug is working well. We don't have any wires or cables accompanying.We have only The Glow Plug and The BatteryAny Help ??
Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 AM
frema

Default RE: Glow Plug Wiring

rossi 8 is the best
Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ShaDy Emad

HeyI and my friends have almost built our first turbine Engine ( Jet Engine ). Now our problem is the glow plug. We could find only this one : http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LXCB27We don't know how it's working. The only written instructions is to connect 1.5V battery to the plug. But I can't identify the polarity of the plug, i.e. where to connect the positive side of the battery and where to connect the negative side.The question may be fool, but we don't have an ECU yet and we would like to test if the engine is working and if the glow plug is working well. We don't have any wires or cables accompanying.We have only The Glow Plug and The BatteryAny Help ??
Glow plug is a heated coil.. No polarity needed. Any web site link for your engine?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:46 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Glow plugs run on DC current, so they are not polarity sensitive.
The stem of the plug is connected to the internal coil, which is made of platinum. The bottom end of the platinum coil is connected to the plug body. You can see the connection when you look at the bottom end off the plug.
Connect one side of the 1.5Volt DC power source to the stem of the plug, and the other side to the hex shaped plug body, and the element will glow.
Your link does not work. Most of us use Rossi R-8 or MC-9 plugs.
The engine case should be drilled and tapped 1/4"-32 UNEF for the glow plug threads. This will provide the ground for the glow plug circuitry.
Here is a link for the glow plug wire that will attach to the center terminal of the plug.

www.electrodynam.com/rc

ugc.jpg Universal Spring-loaded Glowplug Connector
$6.95
KGC0100
Universal Glowplug Connector. Spring-loaded contact. Pull on wire to open clamp and snaps on most glowplugs and glow engines. Great for a Scale look! Beware of look-alikes! The KGC0100 uses special high-temperature solder for demanding installations. Works even in turbine engines!

I tried to upload this image of a Rossi R-8 plug after "teasing" the element out of the plug body, but it didn't work...hope it comes out now....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42174.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	443.3 KB
ID:	1870314  
Old 04-10-2013, 04:24 PM
ShaDy Emad

Thanks all for your replies
You helped me so much

I got the glow plug working now ( Glowing ), but I'm not sure it can ignite the LPG or Not

Has anyone tried this before ?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said, a glow plug is a DC device so polarity does not matter. On my two engines you have to "tease" the glow plug element out of the base of the plug to obtain reliable ingition of the "gas". Based on your question I would strongly suggssest you obtain a manual on a commerialy made engine to quickly enducate yourself on the current state of engine design and operation.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 AM
hmjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
You can ignite GPL manualy with a stove gas lighter.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:17 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

See attached
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66862.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	1870566  
Old 04-12-2013, 12:59 PM