Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 04:20 AM
mejmea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

I think I looked at that and it is PC executable that I cannot run on my Mac. Maybe I can find someone local with a PC
There was a request for a Mac version in that thread. IIRC the author was open to that possibility so it might not hurt to put your $0.02 in.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 AM
tarcure

I emailed the developer a few weeks ago. He said a MAC version was in the works. No release date given.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 AM
mejmea

No I don't have an AR9000 mostly 6- series radios. But one 8 channel that came with the DX8.

Actually, I'm sorry I opened this can of worms. It seems that I'm not the only one confused with what's being reported on the STi display.
This morning I re-played several models and watched the A/B/L/R windows, and this only served to further confuse.

First, I initially believed that the numbers would increment up. Kinda a ticker type read out for each hit or loss. Not so... I saw one playback where, the number went from single digit to double digit then returned to single digits, all in the "A" window. About the only gross conclusion I can come to is that Gas motors with their ignition systems seem to create more hits than electric or Nitro models. Since all models have been flown at the same Site, I believe that at least the RF environment is the same.

It has only been in working with Telemetry that I have started paying more attention to antenna orientation. I now place the satellite in horizontal, and the Main Rx in vertical, or vice versa.

Its going to take someone with more "Replay" patience than I have to figure out what the STi windows are reporting.

I did notice that sometimes the initial windows seem to have bogus readings but they cannot be cleared. Maybe one needs to toggle back to the main screen and do a refresh there.

Needs more documentation please.
(sorry Andy for stirring up this mess)

KKKKFL
I know that I still have some confusion in my mind as well so you are not alone in that regard. For example, other than by looking at the telemetry and seeing that values for both A and B are reported, how does one know if any given Rx, such as BuschBarber's AR9000, has one or two Rx circuits in it? If one of them isn't working for some reason so that it only reports values for say "A", then how would one know that the "B" side has an issue? Per Andy, simply having two antenna is not the distinguishing physcial feature.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 AM
czorzella

I think I looked at that and it is PC executable that I cannot run on my Mac. Maybe I can find someone local with a PC
Franco, there is a good solution that lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side, without rebooting.
www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd86/special-offer/

Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Franco2fly

Might give that a try then.  Thanks...  right now I would just like to understand the antenna issue.  From a practical point, I've never had the slightest glitch, so chasing these numbers is a bit academic.  Although a Mac Guy, I would love to see the STi application expanded so that folks that don't have iPhones could join the club.

Does anyone know if there's a thread dedicated to the STi application.  This one seems to be a mix of iPhone as well as Telemetry as well as STi issues.  I've thought of starting a MS Word document that details operations and shows screens, posting it and letting others "Grow" something that might help us all.  This would be less work than an actual Wiki page, which I have no knowledge of "how to set up and maintain".

Just a thought.  Here's a "for instance"  Suppose you have 6 aircraft in the STi application, I can't find a delete button and wind up just overwriting an older plane.  But I'm half blind, maybe there's a way to delete, I only see the big (+) in the lower right corner.

KKKKFL
Old 04-05-2013, 05:44 AM
czorzella

Just a thought. Here's a "for instance" Suppose you have 6 aircraft in the STi application, I can't find a delete button and wind up just overwriting an older plane. But I'm half blind, maybe there's a way to delete, I only see the big (+) in the lower right corner.

KKKKFL
If you no longer want a specific model you have, you can delete it right from your iPhone. Simply press and hold on any icon until all the icons begin to “wiggle.” then you tap the little “x” in the upper-left corner of the app you want to delete.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mejmea

No I don't have an AR9000 mostly 6- series radios. But one 8 channel that came with the DX8.

Actually, I'm sorry I opened this can of worms. It seems that I'm not the only one confused with what's being reported on the STi display.
This morning I re-played several models and watched the A/B/L/R windows, and this only served to further confuse.

First, I initially believed that the numbers would increment up. Kinda a ticker type read out for each hit or loss. Not so... I saw one playback where, the number went from single digit to double digit then returned to single digits, all in the ''A'' window. About the only gross conclusion I can come to is that Gas motors with their ignition systems seem to create more hits than electric or Nitro models. Since all models have been flown at the same Site, I believe that at least the RF environment is the same.

It has only been in working with Telemetry that I have started paying more attention to antenna orientation. I now place the satellite in horizontal, and the Main Rx in vertical, or vice versa.

Its going to take someone with more ''Replay'' patience than I have to figure out what the STi windows are reporting.

I did notice that sometimes the initial windows seem to have bogus readings but they cannot be cleared. Maybe one needs to toggle back to the main screen and do a refresh there.

Needs more documentation please.
(sorry Andy for stirring up this mess)

KKKKFL
I know that I still have some confusion in my mind as well so you are not alone in that regard.[img][/img] For example, other than by looking at the telemetry and seeing that values for both A and B are reported, how does one know if any given Rx, such as BuschBarber's AR9000, has one or two Rx circuits in it? If one of them isn't working for some reason so that it only reports values for say ''A'', then how would one know that the ''B'' side has an issue? Per Andy, simply having two antenna is not the distinguishing physcial feature.

I don't believe the receiver will Bind if all it's components aren't working. I purchased a Spectrum Flight Logger and attached it to the Data port. When you power up the receiver, it will indicate if you have A, B, L, R and read any Fades as you do a Range Check. It will also display FL and Hold.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:54 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The base knows how many and which receivers need to be installed.

It will bind but not drive servos if it doesn't have enough operating; that's a safety feature.

Andy
Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 AM
swift bill

What do we do with the telemetry data collected? We can use fuel left in real time! That's good. GPS? Some times I'm not sure where I'm flying, when I'm not sure where I've been it's good to have a look see on the telemetry gizmo. Oh yea you can show your wife where you have been all day. That's good. You might be able to sell your data to NASA. YUP WE NEED IT.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 AM
JohnB96041

How about the plain old fun of being able to collect this information. All of the telemetry info can either be viewed in the spektrum-telemetry-viewer that is available, it can be plotted in Google Earth, it can be shared with other fellow modelers. I still fly the same way as always and just let the info flow to the iphone and the transmitter (DX8).
Old 04-13-2013, 11:05 AM
swift bill

Ok then. I can see this being used for a business like real estate. Commercial Value? Worked for the FAA for over 30 years and see the Feds licking their chops looking to regulate and make model flying a crime of some sort. I like getting into all aspects of this great hobby and have been trying to wrap my head around using telemetry. I have run out of fuel and dead sticked more then I like to admit. I use a timer and that helps. What after market device could I use for fuel measuring during flight? I use Futaba 12z and now a 14mz.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:38 AM
Franco2fly

When I asked how to delete, I was talking about within the STi application. If you have 10 models configured in the STi app and you want to delete one there's no " - " button just a big blue " + ".

I've resorted to just doing a re-name over top of an old file.

Now as it relates to the Flight log and antenna, on one model, I ALWAYS have 162 in the "L" window on start up..The flight log replay always starts this way and I don't understand what it is telling me. the window I look at during replay is seen when you switch from GPS to flight log by selecting the graph function when the gps is running. the window has 6 squares Example:

A 6 B - - - -

L 3245 R - - - -

F 0 H 0

and Rx voltage at the bottom. 5.3v

I never see and fades or holds but the A window and the L window increment upwards usually the L window goes in the thousands while the A shows 2 , 5, or 9

enlighten me please.

KKKKFL
Old 04-30-2013, 04:39 AM
czorzella

If you no longer want a specific model you have, you can delete it right from your iPhone. Simply press and hold on any icon until all the icons begin to “wiggle.” then you tap the little “x” in the upper-left corner of the app you want to delete.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 AM
Franco2fly

Thanks Corzella,   I kept getting Siri cuz I wasn't pressing in a good place...  I got the wigglies inside the STi application, so that answers that question.

KKKKFL
Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 AM
mejmea

When I asked how to delete, I was talking about within the STi application. If you have 10 models configured in the STi app and you want to delete one there's no " - " button just a big blue " + ".

I've resorted to just doing a re-name over top of an old file.

Now as it relates to the Flight log and antenna, on one model, I ALWAYS have 162 in the "L" window on start up..The flight log replay always starts this way and I don't understand what it is telling me. the window I look at during replay is seen when you switch from GPS to flight log by selecting the graph function when the gps is running. the window has 6 squares Example:

A 6 B - - - -

L 3245 R - - - -

F 0 H 0

and Rx voltage at the bottom. 5.3v

I never see and fades or holds but the A window and the L window increment upwards usually the L window goes in the thousands while the A shows 2 , 5, or 9

enlighten me please.

KKKKFL
What Rx are you using? If it is an AR7010 that may be the issue. Over on RCGroups there is some information indicating that the AR7010 may have a firmware bug that leads to high indicated fades on the satellite for the RX. See here, posts 5156, 5157, and then 5175

Old 04-30-2013, 05:37 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Assuming you have 3 remotes plugged into the Main Unit, if you swap the A and L Rxers and the High Fade reading moves from L to A then you either have a bad harness or bad Rxer. After the swap, if you still see the High Fade count on L, then there may be a connector problem on the Main Unit. If the L connector checks out, then it is time to send the unit back for testing & repairs. If enough people send units back, they will also rapidly fix any bugs.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:18 AM
Franco2fly

mejmea hit it on the head...  It is a 7010 and apart from the bogus readings it seems to work just fine.

I don't know if swapping it for another is worth the pain.

KKKKFL
Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 AM
AndyKunz

Just keep using it, Franco. You know how to do a good install with the antennas now, and if you know how to divide then you're covered.

Andy
Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Franco2fly

Hehe. Tks. I wasn't too worried as fades and holds read zero and Telemetry
Has been rock solid  I did lose an airplane two weeks ago when a NiCad cell
Failed. Intended to replace the pack but kept putting replacement off. Lesson learned
I'm now in process of going total NiMh on all packs
Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 AM
czorzella

Has been rock solid I did lose an airplane two weeks ago when a NiCad cell
Failed. Intended to replace the pack but kept putting replacement off. Lesson learned
Franco, I'm sorry for your loss.
Concerning your process of going total NiMh on all packs, what did you have before, a LiFe pack?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has been rock solid I did lose an airplane two weeks ago when a NiCad cell
What is keeping you from moving up to Lithium Rx batteries such as LiFe?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 AM
czorzella

Franco,

While Spektrum’s receivers’ minimum operational voltage is 3.5 volts, it is highly recommended the system be tested to assure that system works with a minimum acceptable voltage of 4.8 volts during load testing. This will provide head room to compensate for battery discharging or if the actual flight loads are greater than the ground test load.

My concern using NiMh packs is that amps demanding systems like ours using telemetry and high torque digital servos may not hold up too well. Consider using a LiFe or even Lipo instead.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 AM
Franco2fly

I totally blew it. It was an old Futaba NiCad pack, at least
3 years old. And stupid me had a warning when
Telemetry was intermittent   I just attributed this
To bad antenna placement. 

Lesson learned
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 AM
czorzella

Franco,

Your report makes me wonder. Just a couple of days ago I was thinking the same.

I have Spektrum telemetry in all my planes, helis and sailplanes and I find it really useful but sometimes I neglect it and don't stop flying when the telemetry alarms goes off, until some sh** happens.

Last weekend, the Telemetry was telling me about battery power being too low; Since the alarm was bugging me I pressed the Clear button and kept on flying until there was no more juice left in the battery. It ended up with a hard landing and probably a very expensive TP battery that I recently bought compromised due to the fact it reached 2.9V per cell.

In two different occasions I ended up losing expensive models by not paying enough attention to what telemetry was trying to tell me. Perhaps I'm too dummy or too addicted to this hobby, but in either case, this may very well explain why sometimes we do dumb things like that. LOL

Better learn our lessons quickly, otherwise we pay the price.

Carlos

Old 04-30-2013, 01:40 PM
AndyKunz

We used to joke about "dumb thumbs" causing crashes. What are we going to call it when we ignore telemetry? Just plain "dumb" or what?!?!

Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.