Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

Mine came with an OS P3 plug, so thats what I replaced it with when I toasted it.

Andy
Old 04-14-2013, 12:21 PM
winglift
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of fuel container/pump setup do you use? I would would rather use the regular plastic gallon container as you are able to visually see the fuel level. Any suggestions on the brand/type of pump or container?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 PM
AJsToyz

For the amount of fuel used so far I have been just mixing in a quart can. I had an empty quart from a can of SEF that I tried and used it. The plane is set up just like a ragular glow set up exceptmusing a gas stopper instead of a glow fuel stopper.

Andy
Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Well, hoping to swing through Toledo tomorrow to pick up a few things, ormjust look! i have a few things on order but would like to expedite things a little to get this bird flying.

Andy
ormjust look
Hah, good luck with that.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:29 PM
AJsToyz

Like my spelling? Lol! I got out very cheap, only thing I ended up buying was a muffler for my Moki G140. I tried to get a couple props, had nothing I needed. Was actually hoping that H9 had something there to replace the Katana 50, that wasn't happening either.

Allot of nice planes, had a pretty good time!

Andy
Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 PM
AndyW

My first trip to Toledo was in the early 70s (my early 20s) a few years after I bought a new car. It was only my second time out of town in my life. I was pretty nervous going through the border checkpoint but no pat downs and scanners back then.

It was about that time I got my first credit card. It had a limit of 500 dollars,, really a lot of money back then. The ONLY thing that kept me from *****g it out was that I wasn't sure of the "do you have anything to declare" process. I used to sweat bullets when a police car was behind me.

But man, if you've never been to Toledo,,,, it really IS the Mecca of our hobby. Would like to go again someday. Maybe after TSHTF and the dust settles.

Oh, wait, was NV there?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:22 PM
AJsToyz

I did not see NV, but it doesn't meen they weren't. I was having trouble looking around, the peeps from the BB's were hogging the areas for there reviews. I like to go early Friday and so does the media coverage!

Andy
Old 04-14-2013, 03:27 PM
hsukaria

You have to be careful sneaking all that model airplane contraband accross the border!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got lucky at the border this time.  The guy asked what the piece of aluminum was for. I showed him the receipt (uchannel for a SPAD from Home Depot) Asked about how long it took to build it  and a bit about planes and let me through.  I had no receipts for anything else from the show and he didn't ask about booze or anything.  I didn't see anything about the Norvels, and I looked kind of hard.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:30 PM
AndyW

This reminds me of the time I did a tour of clubs in Southern Ontario. I had a few small planes with me but dominating the back of my small wagon, was GMP's Competitor helicopter, a .60 sized machine that I had worked very hard at on improving the mechanical fits using my lathe. They used 1/16th piano wire for the tail drive, I shuddered at the thought and made the drive shaft out of 3/16" brass tubing complete with U-Joints at both ends. It really looked neat sticking up in the back of the wagon.

So I make my way to Sault Ste. Marie on the Canadian side and after a few days, decided to visit our great neighbours to the south. As I got in line at the border, I noticed the official working it, seemed like he was having a bad day. Sure enough when my turn came, he asked how many of these machines I expected to sell in the US. Uhhh, I stammered, none, it's just a model helicopter. I guess my nervousness convinced him that they'd take a closer look.

So they had me pull over and come in. At the counter, I was asked a few questions by a young guy and from there, I was brought into an office where a spitting image of Bruce Willis stood behind a big, oak desk. A few questions later, he emerges from behind the desk, sits on the corner and pulls out this big bad-ass gun and lays it on the desk. A few more questions later, he lets me out. Yeah, my knees were wobbly, I admit.

At the counter, I had a paper to sign, and the same young guy, asked me what engine I had in the heli and what nitro content I used. He let out that he was a member of the local club.

So this guy KNEW I was legit, and harmless and yet someone decided to have a little "fun" with me. This was WAY back in the 80s.

Instead of meeting up with the local club and checking out the hobby shop, I promptly made a U-Turn out of sight of the border crossing and re-entered Canada. Did you have a good time, I was asked by the Canadian official. He didn't even ask how long I had stayed. I sure did, I replied and promptly went home, cutting my trip by half.

I never went back until a few years ago, when I brought my two brothers, who were dying of cancer, to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Unfortunately, it was another incredibly bad experience, (not related to border crossing) but that's too much off topic.

I could write a book,,, maybe I will.

So, no Toledo for me, any more, much to my regret.

It's just a good thing that my trip to the EAA fly-in, back to back with the US Nats in Oshkosh that one, unforgettable year, (early 70s) was made prior to this incident. I have Super 8 film of that, some two hours of it. I never did convert it to VHS, anyone know if film can be converted to a digital file? I'd love to post it to my Youtube channel.

I'll neve forget pulling into town and seeing a Mustang, buzz the main street right over my head, at what I thought was WAY too low. That old Merlin, rattled the windows in my little, Datsun wagon as the "Stang" flew over.

EVERY modeler should go to Oshkosh, at least once in their life.

That's me, slimmer and with more hair, with the Competitor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31234.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1872218  
Old 04-14-2013, 08:14 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Wow.. I'm surprised that the US-Canada border is so much of a hassle. I always thought it was pretty open (unless you look Asian, and coming back to the US). Do they actually charge taxes on cross-border modeling merchandise?

Only went across once, back in the mid-80s. Went to a contest in Detroit, then decided to drive across Ontario to Niagara Falls. Nothing remarkable happened - I had a few combat models in the back. Perhaps being a citizen of a Commonwealth nation helped.. I did drive through some seedy parts of Detroit trying to find the bridge across, though.

Iskandar
Old 04-14-2013, 08:30 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have trouble about 20% of the time. The Canadianstake HST (sales tax) at 13% on everything non food. If you are there for a couple days you are allowed $800 recently. It used to be $200. I haven't been hassled since the limit was raised. The Americans usually ask if I am going to work there and how much money I brought. Onlyturned backonce when my buddy had no passport. 45 years old and lived in Canada since he was 4. Portuguese. He went back the next day with no passport no problem, I was kind of mad, I packed up and stuff for a week to go to the Corvette show for nothing and we were kept till 3 AM. I go to Toledo now that I live 40 min. to the border. It used to be a 5 hour drive, now it is less than 2. I wish I could have seen the Norvel, kind of wanted to see the carb. Detroit has changed since the 1980's, not for the better, I get out as fast as Ican.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:33 PM
AndyW

Actually, it isn't, normally. Twin cities like Detroit and Windsor and the Sault Ste. Maries have hundreds cross every day, both ways, to work and shop. My experience was unique but still, it was not a good one, I can't imagine why it happened.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:13 AM
toolmaker7341

How about back to the GT40. Sorry about Bruce you should have reported him to border crossing athorities. Learn the laws and be confident. No problems.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:13 AM
hsukaria

I think you meant the GX-40. The GT40 was a Ford racing super-car back in the early seventies.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:25 AM
Sport_Pilot

The GT40 was a Ford racing super-car back in the early seventies.

Actually the 60's. 4 Lemans in a row. Ford got out at a good time, just before the Porshe 917.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

The GT40 was a Ford racing super-car back in the early seventies.

Actually the 60's. 4 Lemans in a row. Ford got out at a good time, just before the Porshe 917.
I shoulda known that. There is a GT40 close to my house in Dearborn, MI at the Henry Ford museum. Have seen it up close numerous times over the years. Slick car.

The weather turned nice yesterday evening. So if it holds up, I will be able to maiden my new plane with the Norvel AX-40 (glow) this weekend. This is my first use of the AX-40 in a speedy plane. Previously, I used it in a floater FunFly plane. But I think that previous application was more suitable to the GX-40, with more torque and bigger prop.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:45 AM
hllywdb

Ford got out at a good time, just before the Porshe 917.
Yep, the long tail humbled a lot of teams back then. Always my favorite. I saw a few years back you could buy them for street use. Cost more than an Enzo though.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 AM
hsukaria

Any news from the users/owners about the NV40 gas? It has been awefully quiet here.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:47 AM
toolmaker7341

Have tried mine yet cant find ethonal free 93 octane gas and the airports are all locked up around here.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Sport_Pilot

I would rather use 10% ethanol gas than avgas That avgas is bad for you! In fact the ethanol may run better than the gas.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM
hllywdb

Not sure why you want ethanol free, its not like there is a carb bowl to get eaten up like a small mower or pressure washer. I have been running mine for over a year with plain old pump gas, (10% ethanol) either 93 or 91 octane (not any appreciable difference). Have had no issues, so why complicate it?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:54 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

It IS late April, so I expect flying weather has started for those in the northern states...

I'd be quite surprised if this won't run on plain old 87 octane pump gas (with or without the 10% ethanol). Plus oil, of course.

Iskandar
Old 04-26-2013, 03:34 PM
hllywdb

I belive it has been tested as low as 80 oct in some countries. But as I have not done it I can't comment as to performance on 80.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:19 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better performance is a good reason to avoid ethanol. Also, why dilute gas with some degree of water? Anyway, there are stations with ethanol free gas here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.