Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Canopy/ windshield adhesive.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Canopy/ windshield adhesive.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 05:12 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Canopy/ windshield adhesive.

Ok, I've tried a number of different adhesives such as RC 56/560 with questionable results. They just didn't seem to perform as expected. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I dunno what. Anyway name your favorite adhesive for attaching canopies and windshields.
Thanks
It's still snowing up here, when will it stop snowing?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Canopy/ windshield adhesive.

Contact Cement.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:41 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jollyroger

Ok, I've tried a number of different adhesives such as RC 56/560 with questionable results. They just didn't seem to perform as expected. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I dunno what. Anyway name your favorite adhesive for attaching canopies and windshields.
Thanks
still snowing in lower MI also.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:02 AM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

I use goop from home depot apply it with a tooth pick any that comes out you don't wont on the plane rub off after it is dry with your fingers works great.

Jacque
Waco brotherhood # 27
Old 04-13-2013, 06:03 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

High 70s and low 80s here. Nice morning but supposed to get the high winds back today. I was reading a build thread last year during my Swoose build and the fellow that did the thread used contact cement to attach his window/canopy on his so I decided to give it a try. Really works great. Just follow the instructions on the can. Problem with it is you have to get it on straight the first time because there is no slide to it. The stuff sticks as soon as it touches. Trick to the 56 and 560 is to use masking tape to hold the canopy on and let it sit for 24 hours. I have never had a canopy blow off so something is working?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:33 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"They just didn't seem to perform as expected. "

In what fashion did they not work as expected? I have been using that stuff forever, and, I would not use anything else.

Les
Old 04-13-2013, 06:51 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

rc 560 works great for me as well, my only gripe is it always seems to thin and runny? I guess your other option would be to make a nice aluminum frame out of roofing tin or something then screw the windshield on. I did that on my monocoupe.. extra work but depending on what you are building it looks nice.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 AM
bikerbc

I have had good luck with the Canopy Glue , give it a good shake before you apply and then give it a good 24 hrs. to fully cure.. I sometimes put in a couple of tiny screws like #0x1/4" to hold it in place instead of tape ...Where I found problems was when I got impatient and didn't give it the full 24 hrs. to cure... The other way that looks real good is like foodstick shows . That is more time consuming but for a plane as neat as the Monocoupe I think it is worth it .
Old 04-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sometimes I use a mixture of epoxy, microballoons, and paint (to make the mixture close to the color of the covering). It's a lot less runny than canopy glue, and when you're finished you can add more to seal any gaps. I use No. 1 screws to hold the canopy in place while the glue sets up. For really easy installations, like one I have now where the canopy sits on top of a flat fuselage and has a balsa lip all around the inside, I use WeldBond (available at Ace hardware stores). WeldBond is a lot like canopy glue but I think it's a little bit thicker.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just try to use small screws to hold canopies down now. Used to use epoxy with success, but it takes much care and patience and then I would have to put trim tape on to cover the ugly edge all around. With the screws, the edge is cleaner, and I can gain access to the cockpit again, or replace the canopy easier, etc. Of course this only works where the canopy lays flat enough against the fuselage here and there for the screws. I like the contact cement suggestion...might need to try that one in the correct situation. Jon
Old 04-13-2013, 12:24 PM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks

Jollyroger

RC-56/560 works best for me also. Post a photo of questionable results if you can.
Maybe that coooold Michigan weather may be affecting the glue over time.
87-57 today Maricopa Az.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:04 PM
huck1199

When using RC-56 you have to make sure the fit is air tight so air flow cannot lift the part.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:11 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Wish this would of come a few days earlier. Just put mine on p51 with 30 min epoxy. Clean up was a total nightmare!! Its good though. I use small screws most of the time, but it wouldnt work or look good on this one. Good suggestions here, have to write them down for next time. Driving on hwy 131 today and was literally blinded for 3 seconds by snow. Isnt it almost May????
Old 04-13-2013, 05:17 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

RC-56 HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Mustang1971
My Feedback: (30)

Zap Formula 560 for me, works very well and dries clear. Have used it on everything from foamies to jets with no problems. Have also used epoxy but need to drill some holes or other type of prep for epoxy to bite into....
Old 04-14-2013, 03:10 AM
rogera

Formula 560 works a treat on all canopies and anything else plastic. Dries clear although initially the white colour is a bit disconcerting, do it last thing, go to bed and wake up to a very well attached canopy (or whatever).
Old 04-14-2013, 04:28 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Elmers' white glue. The kind you used in school for arts & crafts. It's much cheaper than Formula 560.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:16 AM
jollyroger

I've had a couple failures with R560 for whatever reason...maybe I applied it wrong but I don't see how. On my Fly Baby, the windshield came loose almost immediately after 24 hours of cure time. I had to reglue it several times since and it looks bad gooped up in the corner. The windshield on my Seniorita also came loose even after gluing it on the inside as well. I dunno, maybe the glue was past its time when I used it. I have 2 new tubes of RC560 so I'm going to try one of those. I also have Weldbond so it's a toss up here. I have to make a decision.
Thanks for the replies.
Snow again last night...temp to 45* today so far. This Northern Michigan weather is nuts...as always.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:15 AM
abbott915
My Feedback: (1)

I used "Household Goop" on my last build, (which was only my second build). Apply carefully, and place very close to where it has to be the first time. There isn't much wiggle room once you stick it together.

Plane has flown three times, and no issues yet.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:59 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had good results using the "560" canopy glue on any plane that had some contact surface area between the canopy/window and the fuselage. However I ran into a case with a crappy cheap Spitfire ARF that had a bubble canopy that only the thin edge of the plastic canopy touched the fuselage. The canopy had about a 1/4" painted edge all the way around the bottom so I ran a good bead of clear silicone (auto parts store item) around the base of the canopy so that when I set it into the fuselage it formed a "bridge" between the canopy and the fuselage. Taped it down to dry as usual and did also add one small screw on each side. The 1/4" painted edge hid the glue joint (plus it was clear) and made for a nice looking and secure installation.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:41 PM
bikerbc

One thing I have noticed is that if you freeze canopy glue it ruins it . At least I think that is what happened to a container of Formula 560 that I had. It was sitting by the window and it froze and it never seemed to work very good after that...I would not swear to that though but I think that is what happened to it...
Old 04-15-2013, 05:06 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had a couple failures with R560 for whatever reason...maybe I applied it wrong but I don't see how. On my Fly Baby, the windshield came loose almost immediately after 24 hours of cure time. I had to reglue it several times since and it looks bad gooped up in the corner. The windshield on my Seniorita also came loose even after gluing it on the inside as well. I dunno, maybe the glue was past its time when I used it. I have 2 new tubes of RC560 so I'm going to try one of those. I also have Weldbond so it's a toss up here. I have to make a decision.
Thanks for the replies.
Snow again last night...temp to 45* today so far. This Northern Michigan weather is nuts...as always.

Patience is the key. I used to have trouble with canopy glue until I figured that out.

Now, it may take a few days to glue the windshield, but it stays on.

I work in sections, letting the canopy dry until it is clear. Then I move on to the next section.

If possible, I screw the windshield in place, as I go.

I would be willing to assist you, if you want. Feel free to call me, or stop by.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74026.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	1872336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28343.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	390.6 KB
ID:	1872337  
Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 AM
jollyroger

Well, after ruining three more windshields(5 in all) in a vain attempt to get it right, I'm done with it. I seem to get the pattern close but when I cut the material it comes out totally f****d up.
I'm not going to mess with it for another year.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:35 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You need a set of the special curved blade scissors they use for trimming rc car bodies. Also you never make a full cut with the scissors you just do little tiny nibbles at it, never bring the handles all the way closed.

http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/1737/
Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

I have also found that I need to tweak my 'final design' a few times before I'm happy with it. My method is to use a hunk of flat cereal box to make a pattern - it's just flexible enough to imitate a piece of windsheld material. It might make 2-3 tries before I get the windshield the way that I want. But the changes literally only take 3-4 minutes to do once you've made your first one.

Then I will mark the fuselage so that the pattern goes right back down in the same spot, every time. Then the pattern is cut out of the real material.

I had a few problems myself until I decided to use cereal boxes for patterns...

Just my $.02

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.