Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Royal Zero Kit Build into Rufe

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Royal Zero Kit Build into Rufe

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 05:40 AM
Corsair 29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Royal Zero Kit Build into Rufe

Cool, looking forward in hearing any news. Right now on the table I have his 63" Zero short kit being built, and its coming together very well. Got to love these lazer short kits.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:24 PM
chistech

Hi Tom
Yours went in the mail yesterday. I was hoping to make the PO today and they had closed just before I got there. I will have to try printing the label at home. How do they figure the shipping cost? Do you weigh the package yourself?

We're supposedly in for a whopper of a storm that is supposed to go all the way back into your country. They're talking up to 10" rain, 100mph wind, and because of the full moon, extra high tides w/flooding. I've got the house buttoned up pretty good and hopefully no trees come down in the back yard. Supposed to last 3-4 days![X(]
Old 10-27-2012, 06:36 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes, I have 2 scales at home, it sure saves time, I have UPS ans FedEx accounts too,, I never stand in lines, If I miss my daily pick up I just swing by and drop it off. When I lived in LA, the lines could take an hour to get to the window,, forget that

I hope you have a generator ready to go.

I drove out west along I-90 today to go pick up my Son in Indiana, there was an army of Power line service trucks headed east,, they are already staging extra workers your way. I easily saw over 500 trucks during just a 4 hour drive.

Yes it should push some weather our way too, only 30mph wing and medium rains, no big deal here, we get that all the time.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:13 PM
chistech

Ok,
The storm has been pretty strong but luckily our power company spent the whole summer cutting all the trees not only in the whole town but also down the high tension lines in the woods. The lights have flicked on and off slightly but haven't lost power for more than a couple seconds. Didn't even loose cable TV or the internet. Pretty darn good on the "services" end. The tide surge has been another thing though and just down the road some houses have been flooded with the water coming up pretty high. Luckily there's a few low hills that are between me and the ocean 1.5 miles away. Even though I'm only about 9-11' above sea level here at my house those small hills keep any chance of water back.

On the plans, everybody who in touch with me and sent money has got them in the mail and headed their way. (just got one more payment tonight and they will go out tomorrow) Thanks for all the interest. Turns out, 2 RCU members who requested sets have not gotten back to me, even after PM's, so those plans will be offered somewhere else so I can recoup my money. I did make a couple extra sets anyway so I don't use my originals. I have extras of both sizes now.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:54 AM
scale only 4 me

Ted, Mine came on Saturday,, Thanks,

We are 25 miles west of Cleveleand, Winds were 40-50mph yesterday, trees and Lines down here all over. Pretty common here with the old trees we have everywhere. Our power got knocked out around 9pm last night,,, Running on a generator,Internet was off this morning,, obviously working now. I get to babysit generators and sump pumps today.

Stay safe
Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 AM
chistech

We have very good weather now. Almost no wind and mostly sunshine with some clouds. Not sure if this is headed your way but if so, get ready for a nice day for flying. Gerry, who lives just about a mile away has been without power since about 3 yesterday. He has a well so he doesn't even have water to flush a toilet. Keeps a rain barrel for doing just that. The electric company put up these remote control block switches on sections of the power lines feeding the houses. If a section is compromised in a storm they can remotely (from Boston, 55miles away) shut down that effected block while still keeping power on to everyone else. It seems to be working as planned as only very small sections are without power today. Funny thing is they originally put the block switch on a pole right in front of my house that would have controlled the power down to Gerry's neighborhood. About 2 months later they came and removed it and put it just three poles down from me at a cross street. So less than 400' away those people don't have electricity. Years back when my family owned a pretty good size USDA inspected slaughter house and custom meat market we had a very bad hurricane. The whole area (30 mile radius) was without power for 8 days. We had an old military generator that put out 60 kilowatts and we were able to run our whole business. That thing could use gas and talk about tending a generator. Our business was also one of the lowest places on the road and a brook ran underneath the street right alongside the building. That brook became a river and we had to sandbag our doors because it overflowed and filled our parking lot. Funny how all the neighbors who didn't purchase their meat from us tried to act like they did all their lives and asked us to keep all their perishables. We politely told them we did not have the capacity. I really wanted to slap them in the head but I wasn't brought up that way! LOL Hope your power comes back fast. Glad you got your plans. Pretty nice looking plans aren't they? Different ideas on the float mountings especially the tips. Never thought of doing them like wire landing gear.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 AM
scale only 4 me

Funny thing here, power is off for about half the town, I went down to get more gas and drove by McDonald's, It was the only place with lights on on the block, they must have a back up system,, Drive through Line was out onto the road.

Amazing people run there for food when the power is off and don't prepare for power outages

I haven't had a chance to study the plans, I'll look them over and let you know what I think. I need to decide which plans to use, those or the Top Flite conversion plans I have when I do my 120 size CMP Zero conversion,, we'll see

Good luck
Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 AM
iron eagel

You mentioned a meat processing place that wasn't a place called Britto's (sp)was it?
I used to go there quite a bit thirty years ago.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 AM
royalhfarms
My Feedback: (5)

Hi guys, Royalhfarms here

I have a rain week.  That goofy hurricane made it all the way to Michigan.  Yes I would sell the lazer cut short kits of the rufe directly to any one that wants one. Once the kit is available, I will post my email here, and you can contact me direct. I have been busy trying to finish harvesting before the weather turns bad.  Ted, I sent you an email in reply to the earlier one you sent, I will reply again.  I will get to work on the rufe after Thanks Giving, I have to get the kit here first. Any way, I am still out here.  I am just trying to pay the real bills.

Brian-royalhfarms
Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 AM
chistech

Yes it was. Brito's Meats and Provisions. I am Ray's son and it operated from 1938 to 1990 at that location. Some politicians in town wanted to play games with us "for a little extra cash" if you know what I mean and we wouldn't play, so we decided to close. I got a new job for 45 hours a week instead of 82 (average I worked) and a $125 raise per week! People think when you have a good business you work little and make a lot. Those are the people voting for O'Bama.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 AM
iron eagel

It a shame that local pol's can pull stuff like that, it's awfully funny both the New Bedford Standard Times and The Fall River Herald didn't make more noise about it when that was going down.
Too bad great place you family had.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: chistech
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''. Glad you got your plans. Pretty nice looking plans aren't they? Different ideas on the float mountings especially the tips. Never thought of doing them like wire landing gear.
Ted, I've been looking over the plans and they are nice. The tip float attachment is pretty standard Block landing gear wire. I think the Top Flite conversion uses the same method. Only issues I see is the fillets cracking as the wire flexes, maybe eliminate the fillet at the wing.

There are a couple things I notice I'd do differently or add to.
1- I would add shear webbing to W2 where the rear main float mounts, probably replace W2 with Lite ply also. At least reinforce it,, that just being Balsa seams weak and will crack over time.
2- I would flip flop that strut to wing attachment, When that slides up into position how can part #11 get inside #19 with out flexing or forcing things?? If you flip-flop them they'd slide right together easily
3- I would use a Stainless 4-40 Tapped into the doubled 3mm instead of a wood screw,, maybe a blind nut
4- I'd mount a separate water rudder servo to the wing, Nothing shown on plans, but unless you have a removable hatch, how can you connect that to the Rudder servo??

The airframe.
5- I'd redesign the motor mount to a typical 1/4" ply Firewall/motor mount system, I laid over a 70 4-stoke and it wouldn't look great IMO. You'd need to use a 2-stroke standing straight up only as designed. Other wise you'd have to do some hacking of the firewall to get the spinner offset correct. That IMO would look awful. I prefer mounting 90 degrees with muffler pointed down.
6- Obviously loose the bell cranks. Use 2 Ail. servos

Not too much,, great design over all
Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 PM
chistech

Hi Tom,
I would mount the fourstroke inverted. The chin on the cowl will help hide some of the head. Some sticking out won't be too bad. Looking from the front the engine head will be inline with the float support so it won't be too bad. Some of the float mounting I would also change and I've already thought about the blind nuts on the rear support. I really didn't look at the mountings in the wing too closely and will probably reinforce the mountings to my liking as I go. I will most likely order the glass cowling from Fiberglass specialties to save the aluminum one. On the water rudder I thought the same thing. Shows a push rod to nowhere. Small servo on the top of wing should work. I would use two servos on the ailerons and the one for the flaps. I will do the same as you on the firewall.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:16 PM
chistech

Hello All,
I believe everyone has gotten their plans by now. All went well except it appears I sent two 40sz plans to Corsair instead of one of each size. When I get back home I will be sending him the larger set. If anyone else didn't get their set yet or I sent the wrong size please let me know.

Thanks, Ted
Old 12-31-2012, 09:06 AM
chistech

Hello Corsair,
You said you got duplicates of the same size plans and I resent the larger plans to you. Did you get the other set as I never heard back from you whether you received them or not?

Ted
Old 03-23-2013, 06:48 AM
chistech

Hello All,
Brian from RoyallFarms sent me one of the first Rufe prototype Laser Cut Short kits to look over. The heavy weight cardboard box came labeled and well taped up. Inside were the balsa ribs, all the plywood pieces, and a folded set of plans. Brian tells me this is how he will offer the short kits. All I can say is "Amazing". Brian's work and the material quality is top notch. One thing Royal kits are known for is difficulty in building the wing straight as there is normally no tabs or jigs to help keep it straight. Brian has left attached tabs on the wing ribs to solve this problem and help everyone build a nice straight wing.(look closely at the wing ribs and you will see the tabs) I believe everyone will be very happy with this short kit. Brian is currently working out the details of enlarging the floats up to the Royal SR .60 size for my buddy Gerry. Please support and contact Brian for pricing and to put your short kit parts order in. You won't be disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92493.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1865496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70713.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1865497   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28485.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1865498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50729.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1865499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29020.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1865500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54481.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1865501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22537.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1865502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57053.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1865503  

Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM
royalhfarms
My Feedback: (5)

Hi there...Brian here from Royal Heritiage
I just listed the Rufe laser cut parts on ebay.  The pictures were posted on this forum by christech.  All the info you need is available on the listing.  I have a total of four cut and ready to go right now.  I am getting ready to start farming again so future availability might be limited until the snow flies again $75 opening bid $85 buy it now...free plans included.  If you have questions or want to buy direct please feel free to contact me through email...
[email protected]
Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 PM
johnboy151a
My Feedback: (68)

Great Brian! Now on to the Royal Stuka..... I'm just sayen'....
Old 04-20-2013, 09:29 AM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recieved my short kit from Brian as well and I'm thoroughly pleased!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:53 PM
chistech

Hello All,
My buddy Gerry is finally getting back to his build and I will again be posting here for him. Here goes:

Picking up where I last left off during last Spring: Zero/Rufe build..............

Photos 4890-91; With large mid-section fuselage sheeting installed between upper fuse half down to saddle block/
fillet block assembly, here's the whole shooting match glued in place awaiting carving and copious
amounts of sanding, starting with 80 grit, down to 120 and finishing with 220. All datum guide lines are
drawn in place with french curves and sanding paper wrapped around various forms and dowel sizes.

Photo 4892; Sanding finished! A couple of leisurely hours while taking my time to get it as accurate as possible does
the trick. A partical mask and vaccuming breaks every so often are a must at my age. I used to eat this
balsa dust with no problems decades ago but that is no longer the case. As friend Ted Brito ( tedther/c
modelbuilder) sez........ "You know what they say about Royal kits. You sand a block of wood and out
comes a plane!"

Name:	DSCN4890.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1953572   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4891.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1953573   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4892.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1953574  
Old 01-03-2014, 04:53 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am planning to convert a TopF'ite T6 to a mono float plane. The South Koreans built one using a left over Rife float during the Korean War. What would it cost me to get a copy of the float plans, digitally if possible? I would need to scale them to be 1/7th scale.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 01-03-2014, 07:26 PM
chistech

Hi Jeff,
The easiest thing to do would be to contact Brian from Royallfarms who is in this thread. He has the Rufe float plans and could possibly make you a short kit of the main float and tip floats. Not sure if the .60 size Zero is 1/7th.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:49 PM
chistech

Here's a few more shots of the progress on the Rufe tail feathers and tail cone, which is incorporated into the full length
rudder. Lots of measuring, carving and sanding on the stab's upper saddle pieces. The stab was removed, the upper
saddle pieces and base of the fin were tack-glued and sanded in place to make sure the contour lines flowed evenly to
the very end of the rudder. The fin base was hollowed out as best as I could while still tack-glued and before everything gets cut away and all assemblies glued in for good, more hollowing out will take place to lighten that tail end as much as possible. Even the "cheek" pieces at the bottom of the rudder will get removed and the insides hollowed out.
Spent the entire day working on this and it was time well spent. Got quite a bit done and it always pays off to pop a new blade into the razor plane. Saves a lot of wear & tear on the sinuses from sanding dust. G.

Name:	DSCN4921.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1959703   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4922.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1959704   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4923.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1959705   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4924.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1959706   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4900.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1959707   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4901.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1959708  
Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 PM
chistech

More photos of the Rufe aft fuselage. # 54: Nyrod casings anchored to bulkheads.
# 55: Fuse bottom planked up. # 56: Inside of upper stab saddle and fin base
hollowed out.

Name:	DSCN4954.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1963828   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4955.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1963829   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4956.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1963830  
Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM
iron eagel

Some very nice work there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.