Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Little help with a new savage...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:56 AM
CrazySavageRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little help with a new savage...?

Hey guys go easy on me I am pretty new to the RC car world. I bought a new Savage X 4.6, and my previous experience was my sons Brama 10b (a lot of fun). I followed the break in instructions to the tee, and read a few threads here before ever starting the truck, so I am confident the truck is in good working order. I have run it a bunch of times and I am pretty gentle with it based on what I see a lot of you guys doing. But, I have used a little more than a half gallon of fuel and the motor is having a hard time starting and staying running at temps below 140°. I find the need to keep the glow plug igniter on it until 150°, and even then I may have to start it two or three times. I cleaned the air filter today and replaced the glow plug to see if that helped and initially it did. The truck started right up and ran for a bit, then it was like the oil I used to clean the air filter made its way into the engine and now I cant get it started...? Have I ruined the engine (I used a very little bit of the oil that came with the truck)? How much fuel will this engine burn before needing to be replaced usually? Can I expect an engine to last me only a half gallon of fuel? Thanks for any help!
Old 04-21-2013, 03:09 PM
nitrorc89

Default RE: Little help with a new savage...?

ok so if i was guessing i would say its in your needle settings which look it up on the internet and take your truck back to stock needle setting if that does not help you could have an air leak and need to seal the motor but dont panic its not as bad as you think if you have to do that we all can give you step by step directions maybe even post pictures or video on how to do so if someone has it....

the oil you use to clean your air filter will not hurt the truck at all.... your suppose to clean your air filter after every run..... when i was running my trucks i would clean mine after the day i ran which was sunday and i ran about 6 tanks through mine on sundays.... so it wont hurt your engine but you dont have to clean it every 30 minutes or anything lol....

as far as your engine life.... the last savage i had had 15 gallons put through it but now i am pretty gentle with my truck but dont do much maintenance... but i think the average is 10-20 gallons thats normally what i see.... that dont sound like much but its whole lot more than you would think lol....\

i have tried answering you the best i could if i am wrong someone may correct me...
Old 04-21-2013, 05:31 PM
llkoolskillet

Sounds like your LSN is a little to rich, lean it out some. This will help the motor start, and keep it idling. Also make sure to set your idle gap to 1mm about the thickness of a credit card. To do this you need to take the air filter off and peer down the carb. Turn the idle adj screw so the carb opening is 1mm. Don't worry that motor has just begun its life.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:04 AM
CrazySavageRacer

Thanks for the help! I got it running well today! I am having another issue though - 2 actually. I replaced the "AA" battery pack with a hump pack, but the hump pack came with a three prong plug like a servo, and the switch has a two prong plug. I bypassed the switch for now but I would like to have the switch functional cause its a pain to take the radio box cover on and off all the time. Is there a part out there for this? Also it seems when I give it full throttle the brake linkage rod that runs from the servo horn to the aluminum pole that goes down to the transmission is hitting the plastic roll bar where it joins with the frame of the truck and it causes my servo to oscillate around 3/4 throttle. Is there any harm in bending the linkage bar so it does not make contact with the roll bar?Thanks again!!!